Roster evolution continues under Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I have a very short time, but very time consuming job for the summer at a ranch north of Clyde Park. No internet or cell phone service. Here's a recap of the roster overturn and the three latest JC recruits. More to come, including a full story on JoJo Henderson. I was able to get ahold of JoJo before he reported. The others have reported and Choate doesn't want players doing interviews this summer, so more on their perspective during fall camp in August.

http://skylinesportsmt.com/roster-evolu ... er-choate/

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Roster evolution continues under Choate

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Looks like about 6 more spots for fall camp. No FBS dropouts, just true freshman and 1 more JC transfer.

9-2 and playing deep into playoffs.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

I know every FCS coach has a lot of coaching contacts by the time he becomes an FCS HC, but I think very few have as many as Choate at the FBS level and throughout the country. I'm speculatin', but I suspect a significant part of these JC recruits and FBS dropdowns (including those that aren't on the team) and to some extent high school recruits coming to MSU, are because of Choate's extensive knowledge and relationships with coaches throughout the country. You'd be hard pressed to find an FCS HC as 'networked' in college football coaching throughout the nation , especially at the FBS level, than Coach Choate. So I am very optimistic that by the time fall camp rolls around there will be more transfers on the roster to fill the voids and complete the roster.
"With that being said, the amount of roster turnover is troubling even though a significant amount of departures have been for reasons that are completely justified (i.e. health, type of offense vs type of player....I can see why Cam Sutton left). My optimism for the team to 'gel' especially early on is low, but likely best in the long run.
GO CATS!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:22 am

The MICKSTER wrote:I know every FCS coach has a lot of coaching contacts by the time he becomes an FCS HC, but I think very few have as many as Choate at the FBS level and throughout the country. I'm speculatin', but I suspect a significant part of these JC recruits and FBS dropdowns (including those that aren't on the team) and to some extent high school recruits coming to MSU, are because of Choate's extensive knowledge and relationships with coaches throughout the country. You'd be hard pressed to find an FCS HC as 'networked' in college football coaching throughout the nation , especially at the FBS level, than Coach Choate. So I am very optimistic that by the time fall camp rolls around there will be more transfers on the roster to fill the voids and complete the roster.
"With that being said, the amount of roster turnover is troubling even though a significant amount of departures have been for reasons that are completely justified (i.e. health, type of offense vs type of player....I can see why Cam Sutton left). My optimism for the team to 'gel' especially early on is low, but likely best in the long run.
GO CATS!
You mean like coach Ash, former president of the American Football Coaches Association? If that was a great benefit I would think Ash would have been able to reap the rewards!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am

gtapp wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:I know every FCS coach has a lot of coaching contacts by the time he becomes an FCS HC, but I think very few have as many as Choate at the FBS level and throughout the country. I'm speculatin', but I suspect a significant part of these JC recruits and FBS dropdowns (including those that aren't on the team) and to some extent high school recruits coming to MSU, are because of Choate's extensive knowledge and relationships with coaches throughout the country. You'd be hard pressed to find an FCS HC as 'networked' in college football coaching throughout the nation , especially at the FBS level, than Coach Choate. So I am very optimistic that by the time fall camp rolls around there will be more transfers on the roster to fill the voids and complete the roster.
GO CATS!
You mean like coach Ash, former president of the American Football Coaches Association? If that was a great benefit I would think Ash would have been able to reap the rewards!
You are correct in that being president of the American Football Coaches Association gave Coach Ash an extensive amount of contacts. I don't know if that translates into a relationship of a coach going 'out of his way' to make the effort to contact another coach where they just know each other rather than coached together on the same team. I think that coaching along side someone is more of a relationship than meeting someone at an annual meeting. Coach Choate's resume has several FBS stops where Coach Ash's not only has none, but Coach Ash's resume includes just 1 FCS team...Drake (for ~ 22years I think??), prior to that I believe it was a DII team. Where Coach Choate's resume includes coaching stops at Florida, Wazzu, UW, & Boise. I think Coach Choate's background is tough to beat at the FCS level for having broad and diverse 'contacts' that have a good chance of paying dividends when it comes to finding and recruiting transfer players that will contribute to the CATS.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:54 am

Choate is good at finding good athletes that want to work hard, listen and play fundamentally sound football. Those players will become the backbone of the team and are a big reason why MSU may already have the most fundamentally sound team in the conference.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:18 am

I think Choate has done an very good job in High School recruiting and finding overall great student athletes. I believe academic accomplishment is very high on his list when considering a recruit. However, I do think the jury is still out on the drop downs and JC transfers.
Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm

While I don't think this is a huge, like many had said it needed to happen, also I'd rather have kids that are truly dedicated to the team, than themselves or others. I think we're on the right path, like Tom said, being technically sound is a big deal and can make up for lack of immense talent. I will be pleased with a winning record this fall, I'd like to see 8-3 and a playoff run, but I don't think we are there yet.

I'm thinking 6-5, and its possible we do better and sneak into the playoffs, but I'm not going to bet on that. I think we will struggle early on in the season again and then find a rhythm and reel off 4 wins in a row to end the season. We run all over the griz again for a 33-10 smackdown... I would bet on that.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm

gtapp wrote:
GO CATS!
Agree with Gtapp 100%. I'll also add that IMO Ash WAS able to reap the rewards to some extent. No, we didn't win a national championship under Ash but I'll remind people that we definitely had some great success under his watch. I really like Choate and where it looks like he's taking the program but he has a LOT to prove to see if he can match or ideally exceed the success we had under Ash. Then of course sustaining that is extremely difficult in football today but fingers crossed.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:58 pm

I liked Kramer, the right Coach at the right time for the Turn Around of Bobcat football. I liked Ash,
the right Coach at the right time to clean up some image issues, and maintain a good winning program
over time. Now I like Chote ~ I believe he is the best of Ash and Kramer rolled into one ~ High standards
and High energy. I think Coach Chote has the bigger better pipeline in recruitment of quality college level
players, recruits Montana well. Like his football philosophy, tough defense and offense that can protect the
rock ,control the clock and score as much as needed. If we take care of the ball and win the Top this year we will be in all
the games we play ,with a chance to win at the End, and with the Big toe back that will be a lot. I think
eight wins even with the roster turn over and tough schedule.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Any sport or technical skill relies heavily upon discipline, fundamentals and the combination of those two, which is focus. If you have that and you also have some talent, a little talent, then great things can happen. You don't need a boatload of talent, but it helps. Talent alone is nothing. I'd rather have discipline, fundamentals and focus and no talent, than just talent.

Those with talent-only eventually realize and regret not having discipline, fundamentals and focus.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Choate's record will be how many years will he stay at MSU before he gets the FBS offer to move. 3 more years is what I expect.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Any sport or technical skill relies heavily upon discipline, fundamentals and the combination of those two, which is focus. If you have that and you also have some talent, a little talent, then great things can happen. You don't need a boatload of talent, but it helps. Talent alone is nothing. I'd rather have discipline, fundamentals and focus and no talent, than just talent.

Those with talent-only eventually realize and regret not having discipline, fundamentals and focus.
I'd add "heart" to the mix. Players who truly want/need/expect/work to win will do better than others more talented who just want to play or put in the time.They'll also influence those around them. I'd put Zack Minter, Cody Kirk, Tanner Bleskin, and Chad Newell of recent times and Paul Shafer and Don Hass from the past in this category." I was at the Sac State game where Minter suffered a concussion and they had to hide his helmet to keep him out of the game.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Montanabob wrote:Choate's record will be how many years will he stay at MSU before he gets the FBS offer to move. 3 more years is what I expect.
Coach Choate is a high energy guy and I do think that translates to his career path...he is very ambitious.
He was at Utah State from 2002-2004 when the Aggies went 4-7, 3-9, 3-8. Off to Eastern Illinois in 2005 and a 9-3 season. Moved to Boise State from 2006-2011 and an amazing 68-6 run. Left for Washington State in 2012 when they finished 3-9. On to UTEP in 2013 as DC, but stayed for spring ball only. Headed for Florida for the 2013 season where they finished 4-8. Back with Chis Peterson in 2014-15, but this time Washington. They went 7-6 and 12-2.
Montana State 2016. Three more years might be it...if he finishes mid-pack or less, he's gone. If he's 65% or better (Ash like) he might also be gone.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Montanabob wrote:Choate's record will be how many years will he stay at MSU before he gets the FBS offer to move. 3 more years is what I expect.
Coach Choate is a high energy guy and I do think that translates to his career path...he is very ambitious.
He was at Utah State from 2002-2004 when the Aggies went 4-7, 3-9, 3-8. Off to Eastern Illinois in 2005 and a 9-3 season. Moved to Boise State from 2006-2011 and an amazing 68-6 run. Left for Washington State in 2012 when they finished 3-9. On to UTEP in 2013 as DC, but stayed for spring ball only. Headed for Florida for the 2013 season where they finished 4-8. Back with Chis Peterson in 2014-15, but this time Washington. They went 7-6 and 12-2.
Montana State 2016. Three more years might be it...if he finishes mid-pack or less, he's gone. If he's 65% or better (Ash like) he might also be gone.
Yeah, but this is his first head coaching gig. I'd say he's around a bit longer.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Common Cat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Yeah, but this is his first head coaching gig. I'd say he's around a bit longer.
Plus he made a point to comment on how he thinks FCS is "real" football and his ideal job because you build real relationships with the players and prepare them for life because 98% of them are not playing football after college. He has also made a point to say, on numerous occasions, how he is a Big Sky Conference guy AND his wife's family is here in Montana. I don't know, this could all just be trying to say the right things during the interview process and telling us what we want to hear at the press conferences, but I do believe there are a small amount of coaches (maybe only 1-2%) that it is not about the $$ and are happy staying a head coach at the FCS level where you deal with fewer prima donnas and players with huge egos. Not saying Choate is one of those, time will tell, but like I said there are coaches out there that are not interested in a move up.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:01 am

RobertCats wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Plus he made a point to comment on how he thinks FCS is "real" football and his ideal job because you build real relationships with the players and prepare them for life because 98% of them are not playing football after college. He has also made a point to say, on numerous occasions, how he is a Big Sky Conference guy AND his wife's family is here in Montana. I don't know, this could all just be trying to say the right things during the interview process and telling us what we want to hear at the press conferences, but I do believe there are a small amount of coaches (maybe only 1-2%) that it is not about the $$ and are happy staying a head coach at the FCS level where you deal with fewer prima donnas and players with huge egos. Not saying Choate is one of those, time will tell, but like I said there are coaches out there that are not interested in a move up.
I've always thought the fan support at MSU, and especially UM, are kind of a double-edged sword. As RobertCats said, there are some coaches, great coaches, who are just happy in the FCS ranks, don't want the magnifying glass that comes with FBS jobs (well, upper tier FBS anyway), and MSU UM offer big-time college football fanbases at the local level, just not nationally.

However the flip side is MSU and UM are BIG deals in Montana, and especially in Bozeman and Missoula, respectively. So in a lot of ways you'd be dealing with the same spotlight you would anywhere else, albeit likely not quite to the extreme you would at a P5. It's not like having a HC job at MSU or UM is like Towson, Indiana State, or even Sam Houston State. You are the main event, and you won't be able to walk down the street without someone recognizing you and talking to you. If a player gets in trouble in the community, there will be severe backlash because MSU and UM are such vital parts of their communities. So you are getting low level pay for some of the same pressure you'd receive at a much larger institution with much better pay.

If you were a HC, would you rather coach at MSU or UM, for $150-$200k/year, have a chance to compete in the playoffs, maybe a NC, but max out at like $250k after bonuses and incentives for playoffs, etc. Or would you rather go coach at at MAC school, make $400-$1,000,000 a year, with a chance to win a bowl game, and less pressure to win?

Average attendance at Western Michigan in 2015 was less than 20,000, yet the HC PJ Fleck made $949,000 after bonuses in 2016.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 am

CelticCat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
I've always thought the fan support at MSU, and especially UM, are kind of a double-edged sword. As RobertCats said, there are some coaches, great coaches, who are just happy in the FCS ranks, don't want the magnifying glass that comes with FBS jobs (well, upper tier FBS anyway), and MSU UM offer big-time college football fanbases at the local level, just not nationally.

However the flip side is MSU and UM are BIG deals in Montana, and especially in Bozeman and Missoula, respectively. So in a lot of ways you'd be dealing with the same spotlight you would anywhere else, albeit likely not quite to the extreme you would at a P5. It's not like having a HC job at MSU or UM is like Towson, Indiana State, or even Sam Houston State. You are the main event, and you won't be able to walk down the street without someone recognizing you and talking to you. If a player gets in trouble in the community, there will be severe backlash because MSU and UM are such vital parts of their communities. So you are getting low level pay for some of the same pressure you'd receive at a much larger institution with much better pay.

If you were a HC, would you rather coach at MSU or UM, for $150-$200k/year, have a chance to compete in the playoffs, maybe a NC, but max out at like $250k after bonuses and incentives for playoffs, etc. Or would you rather go coach at at MAC school, make $400-$1,000,000 a year, with a chance to win a bowl game, and less pressure to win?

Average attendance at Western Michigan in 2015 was less than 20,000, yet the HC PJ Fleck made $949,000 after bonuses in 2016.
I guess it depends on what kind of person you are. Obviously the difference in money is going to be a huge factor for most coaches although I question the quality of any coach whose primary focus is making more money essentially at the expense of ever having a chance to truly compete. Even the best team in the MAC is usually someone's doormat at some point every season.

I suppose being a FCS level college coach is a double edged sword. Preach to your kids daily about the value of putting the interests of the team ahead of your own all the while having an eye toward moving to a less competitive situation in exchange for more money.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I have a very short time, but very time consuming job for the summer at a ranch north of Clyde Park. No internet or cell phone service. Here's a recap of the roster overturn and the three latest JC recruits. More to come, including a full story on JoJo Henderson. I was able to get ahold of JoJo before he reported. The others have reported and Choate doesn't want players doing interviews this summer, so more on their perspective during fall camp in August.

http://skylinesportsmt.com/roster-evolu ... er-choate/

Winding path leads Henderson to Montana State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/henderson-signs-with-cats/

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
I'd hope everybody realizes when they go into coaching or administration they need to keep their suitcase packed because in less than five years if you're worth a dam n you've either been fired or your're fixin to have that happen to you. Once in a great while you'll see somebody like a Tom Osborne, Snyder at KSU but by and large if you want to go up the food chain, you leave.

Erickson did okay keeping his assistants with him when Sam called and asked him to check out Miami (I know, different thread) and he is a direct contradiction to what you had posted about assistants in a different thread. By the way, where did Sam play football before becoming Dennis' position coach?