High School Football Talk

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: High School Football Talk

Post by HowardRoss280 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:40 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Most importantly. Do they get workouts done before 7a.m.?
I will humor you. And yes, you'd better dang well believe it. Are they as dedicated as a Zach Zenner or Tom Brady? Time will tell. Several of them will probably go to work for the government in some capacity so they can work 8:00 to 5:00 but we need clerks too.

In fact, there were a few waiting on the coaches to open the weight room during the summer. Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team. Anyway...like Mother Teresa said.
[Cough] Missoula Hellgate [Cough]

Though I fully believe Coach Morris can turn that program around.
Hellgate? To me getting kids actively involved in any and all learning experiences is imperative to a worthwhile learning environment. Football is all to often treated as an extension of the classroom when in fact it is just the opposite. Your best teachers actively engage each and every member of their classroom and I sure wish a little of Schweikert's ability would rub off on several of the classroom instructors in C Falls. More than a few need assistance in making their decision to retire but that's another aspect best reserved for another forum but suffice it to say Schweikert has had an incredible affect on the C Falls community. His assistants are all great too, especially Houle and Heinz. I've enjoyed watching the morphing of the football in this town.
My Hellgate reference was to this quote:
Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team.
But yeah the great coaches that have built programs in this state, at all levels, have the innate ability to build a culture that not only the student-athletes follow, but also the community.
You're right. I can't remember the name of the football coach in Fort Benton about 2002 (or about then when I returned to Montana) who went into administration that kind of made me sad to see him make that decision. He reminded me of Larry Campbell in Lincolnton, Georgia or Bill Napier in Murray County Georgia and ultimately Adairsville, Georgia. I really hate to see good football coaches leave the sidelines and enter a cubicle just to placate mad momma's and play politics in a community. A good football program does so much for a community in so many worthwhile ways. Anyway, I think C Falls will surprise a lot of people for the next few years.
Kevin Smith.
Kevin had put together a great program. Did some really good things for the program and that projects right to the town as well, it's funny how a football program will begin to grow and the town suddenly livens up. Direct correlation between football and town attitude.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
I will humor you. And yes, you'd better dang well believe it. Are they as dedicated as a Zach Zenner or Tom Brady? Time will tell. Several of them will probably go to work for the government in some capacity so they can work 8:00 to 5:00 but we need clerks too.

In fact, there were a few waiting on the coaches to open the weight room during the summer. Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team. Anyway...like Mother Teresa said.
[Cough] Missoula Hellgate [Cough]

Though I fully believe Coach Morris can turn that program around.
Hellgate? To me getting kids actively involved in any and all learning experiences is imperative to a worthwhile learning environment. Football is all to often treated as an extension of the classroom when in fact it is just the opposite. Your best teachers actively engage each and every member of their classroom and I sure wish a little of Schweikert's ability would rub off on several of the classroom instructors in C Falls. More than a few need assistance in making their decision to retire but that's another aspect best reserved for another forum but suffice it to say Schweikert has had an incredible affect on the C Falls community. His assistants are all great too, especially Houle and Heinz. I've enjoyed watching the morphing of the football in this town.
My Hellgate reference was to this quote:
Now, contrast the numbers Schweikert has out with a few AA schools that couldn't even field a team.
But yeah the great coaches that have built programs in this state, at all levels, have the innate ability to build a culture that not only the student-athletes follow, but also the community.
You're right. I can't remember the name of the football coach in Fort Benton about 2002 (or about then when I returned to Montana) who went into administration that kind of made me sad to see him make that decision. He reminded me of Larry Campbell in Lincolnton, Georgia or Bill Napier in Murray County Georgia and ultimately Adairsville, Georgia. I really hate to see good football coaches leave the sidelines and enter a cubicle just to placate mad momma's and play politics in a community. A good football program does so much for a community in so many worthwhile ways. Anyway, I think C Falls will surprise a lot of people for the next few years.
Kevin Smith.
Kevin had put together a great program. Did some really good things for the program and that projects right to the town as well, it's funny how a football program will begin to grow and the town suddenly livens up. Direct correlation between football and town attitude.
I've lived and worked in both football and basketball communities and it's unbelievable how true this statement actually is to me. In Georgia where I spent most of my educational career, there wasn't much two way or even using kids on special teams in the real program high schools. Certainly the kids would change positions from one year to the next, but by and large, they played one position all year. The parents and the communities I lived in relished discussing the first, second and even third string rotations on offense, defense, and all the special teams. A good high school football team galvanized the communities I lived and worked in and yes, I miss that terribly.

I don't care to discuss too much what it was like listening to all the bickering and fighting amongst the parents and community members in a basketball community. It still amazes me that track and field in that state is kind of an afterthought. Baseball was the spring sport along with spring football and all the camps.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue May 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Because of the temperatures, the majority of these high schools have their summer practices beginning at 5:30 in the morning:

http://highschoolsports.blog.ajc.com/20 ... l-rosters/

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Because of the temperatures, the majority of these high schools have their summer practices beginning at 5:30 in the morning:

http://highschoolsports.blog.ajc.com/20 ... l-rosters/
Really want to be a smart ass? Check out this web site for athletics only for ONE high school. Still not embarrassed? Go to the Home Page and then compare that to our college's web site. Bear in mind, this is a predominately black school for what it's worth. Even after browsing through this site, I somehow don't think you'll quite understand why these kids are so driven to succeed. I really don't believe you'll get it. I really don't think you'll understand.

http://www.stephensonhs.dekalb.k12.ga.us/Athletics.aspx

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:14 am

Nope. Still not embarrassed.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Have you not been in on the running joke that our players do their summer workouts all before 6am? It's the "Chuck Norris can do this" running joke of BN.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm

This weeks topic is up! Posted on the original post!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:19 pm

lutecat wrote:Have you not been in on the running joke that our players do their summer workouts all before 6am? It's the "Chuck Norris can do this" running joke of BN.

Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun May 21, 2017 3:01 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
lutecat wrote:Have you not been in on the running joke that our players do their summer workouts all before 6am? It's the "Chuck Norris can do this" running joke of BN.

Chuck Norris died 20 years ago, Death just hasn't built up the courage to tell him yet.
Hahahahaha

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Anyone have thoughts after reading the post for this weeks topic? Thoughts on Capital high, their coaching staff, the let downs of the past two seasons, and if this year is a must win for them?

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I don't know enough to comment.

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:Anyone have thoughts after reading the post for this weeks topic? Thoughts on Capital high, their coaching staff, the let downs of the past two seasons, and if this year is a must win for them?
Capital should be pretty good this year. No idea what is going to happen with Mihelish at this time. He plead guilty to DUI about a month ago from an incident that happened right after football season ended. I am thinking he will get to stay on, but will be on an extremely short leash.

GO CATS!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:28 am

HR280: Capital seems to be in turmoil in several of their sports programs. A girl's BB player bailed out on them halfway through the year and I hear several of the upper classmen boy's BB players either didn't go out or were disgruntled. The girl's soccer team had a big to-do over the head coach, who was dismissed then re-hired after a big civic debate. Then, as you mentioned, football coach got a DUI.

I'm not sure what kind of an effect a DUI by a coach can have on a team. Capital has had a huge overhaul in the assistant coaching ranks over the past several years and I really think that's the reason why they don't perform as well. They had 3-4 guys that had around 20 years coaching that team.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 am

iaafan wrote:HR280: Capital seems to be in turmoil in several of their sports programs. A girl's BB player bailed out on them halfway through the year and I hear several of the upper classmen boy's BB players either didn't go out or were disgruntled. The girl's soccer team had a big to-do over the head coach, who was dismissed then re-hired after a big civic debate. Then, as you mentioned, football coach got a DUI.

I'm not sure what kind of an effect a DUI by a coach can have on a team. Capital has had a huge overhaul in the assistant coaching ranks over the past several years and I really think that's the reason why they don't perform as well. They had 3-4 guys that had around 20 years coaching that team.
I don't have very much insight on the other programs at Capital high, I'm not from the area and I am a football kind of guy, but after doing some digging it does seem like there are some problems in almost every sports program at the school. I saw a lot of boys who had been on the basketball team previous years, and had not been on it this year. I couldn't tell you if it was getting cut or just not going out for the sport, but it does seem like there is some dislike between coach and player.

As far as the football program goes, I look into every program I can in the state and try to learn as much as I can with them. And Capital does have something funky going on there. I agree with you, I do believe it's why they don't perform well. I truly believe it's because of their offensive coordinator. But I can see some other areas that could be problematic.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:55 am

canyoncat wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:Anyone have thoughts after reading the post for this weeks topic? Thoughts on Capital high, their coaching staff, the let downs of the past two seasons, and if this year is a must win for them?
Capital should be pretty good this year. No idea what is going to happen with Mihelish at this time. He plead guilty to DUI about a month ago from an incident that happened right after football season ended. I am thinking he will get to stay on, but will be on an extremely short leash.
Besides him pleading guilty I don't have much more information on Mihelish and his situation. But I do agree with you, I think he will end up staying on as the HC, and will be on a very short leash. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:03 am

This is usually the day I would post a new topic, and the planned topic is the question of quality over quantity when it comes to Class B/C vs Class AA/A with producing talent for the next level. But with the newest ranking coming out I will be spending most of today watching film, and going over those I have already watched, and reviewing my list. So I postponed the topic until next week, and instead I'm asking everyone to throw some names of kids out there that are in the class of 2018 that you think are good that might not be getting the attention they deserve. Just throw a name and school out there and I am more than happy to watch their hudl highlight!Also, feel free to add any workout or training of sorts anyone has been doing to better themselves that might not be related to school sports. Like I said on the 2018 recruits page, any work they are doing to better themselves is being taken into consideration! Thanks you guys!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun May 28, 2017 5:45 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:This is usually the day I would post a new topic, and the planned topic is the question of quality over quantity when it comes to Class B/C vs Class AA/A with producing talent for the next level. But with the newest ranking coming out I will be spending most of today watching film, and going over those I have already watched, and reviewing my list. So I postponed the topic until next week, and instead I'm asking everyone to throw some names of kids out there that are in the class of 2018 that you think are good that might not be getting the attention they deserve. Just throw a name and school out there and I am more than happy to watch their hudl highlight!Also, feel free to add any workout or training of sorts anyone has been doing to better themselves that might not be related to school sports. Like I said on the 2018 recruits page, any work they are doing to better themselves is being taken into consideration! Thanks you guys!
Unfortunately, I don't get to see much high school ball around the state so I'm not sure if these guys are considered underrated but I would throw out:

Garrett Graves (Eureka High School, or Lincoln County High School)- http://www.hudl.com/v/1pme9k

Treyton Pickering (Sunburst High School, or North Toole County High School)-http://www.hudl.com/profile/6255100/tre ... ing/videos Unfortunately, no videos, but I've heard great things about him. Not sure if you'd be able to find anything about him

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:This is usually the day I would post a new topic, and the planned topic is the question of quality over quantity when it comes to Class B/C vs Class AA/A with producing talent for the next level. But with the newest ranking coming out I will be spending most of today watching film, and going over those I have already watched, and reviewing my list. So I postponed the topic until next week, and instead I'm asking everyone to throw some names of kids out there that are in the class of 2018 that you think are good that might not be getting the attention they deserve. Just throw a name and school out there and I am more than happy to watch their hudl highlight!Also, feel free to add any workout or training of sorts anyone has been doing to better themselves that might not be related to school sports. Like I said on the 2018 recruits page, any work they are doing to better themselves is being taken into consideration! Thanks you guys!
Unfortunately, I don't get to see much high school ball around the state so I'm not sure if these guys are considered underrated but I would throw out:

Garrett Graves (Eureka High School, or Lincoln County High School)- http://www.hudl.com/v/1pme9k

Treyton Pickering (Sunburst High School, or North Toole County High School)-http://www.hudl.com/profile/6255100/tre ... ing/videos Unfortunately, no videos, but I've heard great things about him. Not sure if you'd be able to find anything about him
Garrett is one of the best players in the state and that will show in this week's rankings.

As for Treyton, I consider him more of a basketball prospect. He's 6'5" but would be more of a TE prospect than a WR prospect because of his lack of speed. Treyton is a very good basketball player. Still should be productive his senior year on the football field this fall.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:26 am

VimSince03 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Garrett is one of the best players in the state and that will show in this week's rankings.

As for Treyton, I consider him more of a basketball prospect. He's 6'5" but would be more of a TE prospect than a WR prospect because of his lack of speed. Treyton is a very good basketball player. Still should be productive his senior year on the football field this fall.
I also have Garrett as one of the top players in the state, after wrestling season he skyrocketed on most people's radar. But I haven't watched much of Treyton, but it does sound like he is a basketball type body build. Thank you though for your input!

BAGFCat
New Recruit

Post by BAGFCat » Mon May 29, 2017 1:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:There is a high school athletics forum. That is usually where the mods move it.

In AA it will be between Glacier, Senior, and Capital.

Class A is wide open with possibly Sidney being the favorite.

Class B is relatively wide open even though Huntley Project should be the favorite.

Class C 8-man will be between Charlo and Ennis again barring injuries to star players.

Class C 6-man will feature some new teams this fall like Wibaux who should push for a title in their first season.
Interesting how just because Helena High has not won a state championship, they are left out of the conversation.
Helena high has the best record over the last decade if not the last 2 decades.
Their defense is #1 or #2 in the state just about every year.
They should not have lost cross town against Capital last year. Helena High Defense dominated Capital. Beat them in every stat but score.
Only lost score because of a botched punt giving capital the ball on the 5, only time capital ever got close to the end zone.
Helena high was denied a touch down by Ryan Arnston as he was laying over a team mate in the end zone by a good half yard but, referee only then marked him where he was dragged to after he finally showed up on seen.
Whole team irate especially all Helena High lineman that knew they had the touchdown but, what do you do.
Capital does not even go to the playoffs if they lost this game which they should have. They where physically dominated as anyone that knows any football could clearly see.
Helena HIgh returns 9 starters(including QB) and 3 should have started but behind OK Seniors. 2 of these will be outstanding. A 6-5 250 DE beast and a 6-1 190 linebacker beast with speed.
An outstanding will be junior class of athletes that dominated all Sophomore games last year.
Helena High top 3 in the state as they are every year if not the best in the state, just ask all the AA coaches. They will rank #1 or #2 to start the season and should easily maintain.
Helena High's biggest competition in the west this year will be Glacier because of Drew Turner.