selective "history"

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

selective "history"

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:30 am

i love the fact that everytime we have an argument with our friends to the west, i always know where it's going to end up. the cats could be undefeated. the griz could be winless. but there are always going to be those guys who have to bring up the playoffs! if we talk about the cats beating the griz 2 out of the last 3, well, that's just the past. but the playoffs! that's what makes a team great. dont get me wrong, i'd love to see the cats in the playoffs, and it hurts that it hasn't been happening. and for the record, the "montana thing" in me even has me rooting a little bit for the griz come playoff time. but the fact of the matter is, the griz making the playoffs lately makes them exactly as good as the cats in 56, 76, and 84! and if that is going too far back for all you cat haters, than lets get more recent, and talk conference record of 3-1, and cats over the griz 2 of the last 3! go cats!

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:22 am

Ok, look at recent history, the cats have won 2-3 against the Griz, no denying that or spinning it. So by admitting that is it ok to talk about playoff records, or regular season records?

First off, regular season in the last 3 years;

Bobcats (20 - 15)

2002 - 7-5
2003 - 7-5
2004 - 6-5

Grizzlies (28 - 7)

2002 - 10-2
2003 - 9-3
2004 - 9-2

Playoffs during that time,

Cats (0-2) in two appearances
Griz (4-3) in three appearances.

So yeah the cats have got 2 of the last 3 brawl's but the Griz have been more successful regular season and post season, so there's the past for ya!

If you compare recent Griz playoff success to the Cats NC games, over the total span of 56, 76 and 84 (1956 - 1984) did the cats make it to the national championship 14 times (50%) like the Griz have over the last 10 years? (5 out of the last 10) I don't see the similar comparison...

MaZooLaGriz
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by MaZooLaGriz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 am

Re/Max Griz wrote:the Griz have been more successful regular season and post season
Well done young man.

Everything is always on its way somewhere.

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:53 am

Re/Max Griz wrote:Ok, look at recent history, the cats have won 2-3 against the Griz, no denying that or spinning it. So by admitting that is it ok to talk about playoff records, or regular season records?

Bobcats (20 - 15)

2002 - 7-5
2003 - 7-5
2004 - 6-5

Grizzlies (28 - 7)

2002 - 10-2
2003 - 9-3
2004 - 9-2

So yeah the cats have got 2 of the last 3 brawl's but the Griz have been more successful regular season and post season, so there's the past for ya!

If you compare recent Griz playoff success to the Cats NC games, over the total span of 56, 76 and 84 (1956 - 1984) did the cats make it to the national championship 14 times (50%) like the Griz have over the last 10 years? (5 out of the last 10) I don't see the similar comparison...
WOW, 14 NC appearances in 10 years. That is amazing!!

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:04 am

MM7CAT wrote:
Re/Max Griz wrote:Ok, look at recent history, the cats have won 2-3 against the Griz, no denying that or spinning it. So by admitting that is it ok to talk about playoff records, or regular season records?

Bobcats (20 - 15)

2002 - 7-5
2003 - 7-5
2004 - 6-5

Grizzlies (28 - 7)

2002 - 10-2
2003 - 9-3
2004 - 9-2

Are you being dense on purpose, or do you really not understand Remax's point?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

whitetrashgriz

re/max

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:39 am

you just proved my point. and i'm not targeting just griz fans. the fact is, we are still talking history! now we are doing records of the last 3-4 years. that is great, but it's better for you because the griz played so well during that stretch. so if i was so inclined, i could find a stretch in "history" where the cats performed better than the griz. that's totally my point. there really is no comparison because i dont think you can do that. it's like when you're watchin a game on espn or something and they talk about the all-time record between the 2 teams is 50-30 going back to the 1950's! who cares? so, because the team was very good in the 90's, they are superior? i agree you guys have a good team and a great tradition in missoula. but if you ask anyone who really knows what they are talking about such as players, coaches and true fans, they know that every season is different. and as of this season....the "present", the cats and the griz are tied at the top. i don't care about records in the past, playoff games in the past, or even national championships in the PAST! that's all i'm saying.

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:31 am

Grizlaw wrote:
MM7CAT wrote:

Bobcats (20 - 15)

2002 - 7-5
2003 - 7-5
2004 - 6-5

Grizzlies (28 - 7)

2002 - 10-2
2003 - 9-3
2004 - 9-2

Are you being dense on purpose, or do you really not understand Remax's point?
On purpose......it kind of fun to talk smack in an idiotic manner like some griz posters on this board.

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

thuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by thuss » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am

Army used to have a good team back in the 1940's, but who cares. You don't see commentators bringing up their past success. Nobody cares about the past as much as griz fans. College football is cyclical, just wait for Boberts recruits to step in. Once the Glenn kids are out the griz will be the next ARMY!! ouch! SCARY THOUGHT!

thuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by thuss » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:33 pm

Cole Berquist would be nothing without Lex Hilliard. If defenses did not have to stack the box to stop Joe Glenns- Lex Hilliard, they would be happily picking off the lame ducks that CB seems to complete. Now a QB that is expected to throw like Lulay (especially because the lack of a RB) and still is successful that is something to talk about!

GFGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GFGriz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:59 pm

thuss wrote:Cole Berquist would be nothing without Lex Hilliard. If defenses did not have to stack the box to stop Joe Glenns- Lex Hilliard, they would be happily picking off the lame ducks that CB seems to complete. Now a QB that is expected to throw like Lulay (especially because the lack of a RB) and still is successful that is something to talk about!
If I get your drift, the fact that State (Kramer) does not have an RB comparable to Hilliard proves Lulay is a better QB than Bergquist? No one will be able to test that theory because Hilliard will be around a while, and Montana always seems to be able to attract good RBs. Any sane fan would rather have an RB like Hilliard together with a QB like Bergquist, as the Griz do, as opposed to a good quarterback without such an RB. Why wasn't Kramer able to recruit someone like Hilliard?

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:01 pm

bearBAC wrote:
thuss wrote:Cole Berquist would be nothing without Lex Hilliard. If defenses did not have to stack the box to stop Joe Glenns- Lex Hilliard, they would be happily picking off the lame ducks that CB seems to complete. Now a QB that is expected to throw like Lulay (especially because the lack of a RB) and still is successful that is something to talk about!
Well that's what happens when an offense has more than one guy on it!
well yeah joe reuben can be more then one guy. wait a minute......

This space for rent....

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:25 pm

bearBAC wrote:
Hell's Bells wrote:
bearBAC wrote:
Well that's what happens when an offense has more than one guy on it!
well yeah joe reuben can be more then one guy. wait a minute......
Maybe Eric Meyer - Kimble & Cole will explain it to you! :rofl:
i think your D linemen are still looking for meyer.......

This space for rent....

thuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by thuss » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:22 pm

Speaking of Meyer, he kinda made himself at home in old rock'n washington grizzly stadium. Meyer had by far his best game of the year going 28 for 40 for 395 and 5 tds. OUCH 5 td's is that possible. If meyer does that in Missoula, imagine what Lulay will do in Bozeman. Not to mention Meyer had 42 yds rushing, not bad for a guy that averages less than ten a game. What happens when a QB like Lulay who averages 50 yds rushing plays against your d. This could get ugly quickly!!! Ya might as well not even come down here for Lulays last home conference game as CAT. If you do come bring lots of alcohol, you'll need it.

info197176
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by info197176 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm

Even worse, imagine what Meyer is gonna do to your "D" on Nov. 12th in Cheney...

Born2BaGriz wrote:
2506 is like the guys who bitches about Hugh Heffner having three girlfriends and goes home alone to his dog every night

thuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by thuss » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:41 pm

info197176 wrote:Even worse, imagine what Meyer is gonna do to your "D" on Nov. 12th in Cheney...
Your kidding right!! We have the best pass def. in the league. Teams average 177 a game against us. The griz have the second worse pass defense allowing 240 yds a game. Hey do a little research buddy. It is impossible for meyer to do anything near the slaughter he put on Washington Grizzly stadium. Nice comment though, way to keep it brief. They can run if they would like but thats not their style. So pretty favorable match up for the B_CATS. TOO EASY!!!