Griz RB arrested for DUI

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Griz RB arrested for DUI

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Griz RB arrested for DUI

Post by PapaG » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Counts was also prohibited from drinking and from entering places that serve alcohol.

The Missoula County Attorney’s Office filed a petition to revoke Counts’ deferred sentence Friday afternoon, saying he failed to abide by the no-alcohol condition and didn't follow the laws during his deferral period.

The student athlete code of conduct states that violating a term of probation or other condition imposed by a court in a criminal proceeding is a Category II violation. A second Category II violation is punishable by suspension from 30 percent of all games.

If Counts is convicted of a misdemeanor DUI, it would be his third Category II violation of the student athlete conduct code, which calls for a dismissal from the football team.
Looks like he's screwed by violating his probation. Failure to comply is basically the same thing as a positive test.

Paul Ryan on speed dial, please! I wonder if every Griz player has his number in their phones. Time for some more pro bono hours, I suppose. :roll:

http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/the-l ... 6f485.html

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 pm

He's still on the team? Seems like he's been there forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:He's still on the team? Seems like he's been there forever.
I know. You'd think in Stitt's world, a non-producing 23 year-old who is on probation and a scholarship would have been shown the door by now. Sure he averages 5.4 a carry in 5 games. Wait ... hmmm

I guess that only applies to Montana kids who don't get into legal trouble? \:D/

What a ride

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:27 pm

If guilty.....see ya.

We don't need you here. "There" I guess for Cat fans.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:If guilty.....see ya.

He already violated his probation but refusing consent for a BAC test, so he's guilty already isn't he? He may do jail time. The DUI, well, Paul Ryan will probably be able to get him out of it. Or maybe not if Stitt decides to cut ties and Ryan has no reason to keep him eligible.

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:34 pm

Your comments, whether jokingly or not, are one of the reasons Griz football has a bad reputation. DUI is a serious offense and a person with two prior incidents should be looked at extra hard. Your flippant comments furher put the Griz program in a negative light..

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 am

Cataholic wrote:

Your comments, whether jokingly or not, are one of the reasons Griz football has a bad reputation. DUI is a serious offense and a person with two prior incidents should be looked at extra hard. Your flippant comments furher put the Griz program in a negative light..
How so? Because I don't think this crap should be tolerated anywhere?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:23 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Your exact statement "If guilty" sums up the Griz fan approach to Jordan Johnson, Beau Donaldson and a plethora of other incidents over the past decade. This incident was a third criminal infraction for this individual and the latest at 3:00 am in the morning for a DUI. Of course Griz nation can always lean on the "if guilty" notion because the rules don't apply for your players. If that is not what you meant, please explain, because that is what we have to come expect from Griz fans as of late.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Your exact statement "If guilty" sums up the Griz fan approach to Jordan Johnson, Beau Donaldson and a plethora of other incidents over the past decade. This incident was a third criminal infraction for this individual and the latest at 3:00 am in the morning for a DUI. Of course Griz nation can always lean on the "if guilty" notion because the rules don't apply for your players. If that is not what you meant, please explain, because that is what we have to come expect from Griz fans as of late.
I hear you. I chose those words because I live in The United States of America, not because I (personally) think he shouldn't get his sorry ass booted off the team.

I'm not a judge, and I don't play one on TV. Just so you know, I would have worded my initial response just the same had the player in question been a Cat or a Lumberjack. But not a Bison. Screw them.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:40 pm

What happened to Cats' Marcus Tappan after his recent DUI. Still with team? Not sure Joey will get to stick around. The Student Athlete Code will dictate his punishment.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:30 am

Whether he gets a dui or not I think it's hard for him to argue he wasn't drinking. Which violates his probation. I don't know that he gets kicked odd the team because I think Stitt would've done so already if he was going to. Of course if the dui does stick, I think he's done per the student conduct code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:25 am

The courts will sort it out. Everyone deserves their day in court.

As for the team aspect it isn't good, but would it be fair to cut a player over something like this? On one hand, he didn't commit a violent crime. There was a potential for someone to get injured or even killed, but that fortunately didn't happen. On the other, does allowing this to go unpunished (I don't consider running to be punishment) increase the chances of it happening again and then having a much worse outcome.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 am

iaafan wrote:The courts will sort it out. Everyone deserves their day in court.

As for the team aspect it isn't good, but would it be fair to cut a player over something like this? On one hand, he didn't commit a violent crime. There was a potential for someone to get injured or even killed, but that fortunately didn't happen. On the other, does allowing this to go unpunished (I don't consider running to be punishment) increase the chances of it happening again and then having a much worse outcome.
Yes, it would be fair. This wasn't a one time mistake. He has been in trouble in the past and was on probation for that. He already had one of his days in court, and the court instructed him to follow certain guidelines. These were not 'team' restrictions...they were court restrictions. I'm all about about 2nd chances, and in my eyes he blew that chance. I wish him the best and hope this serves as a life lesson, but if I'm the coach he just lost the privilege he was given. At the end of the day it is not the coach's decision, it is their student code of conduct. Whatever that says is what happens.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Grizaddict wrote:What happened to Cats' Marcus Tappan after his recent DUI. Still with team? Not sure Joey will get to stick around. The Student Athlete Code will dictate his punishment.
Last I heard he was suspended from the team, he isn't on the Roster so it's likely he's no longer with the team.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:47 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:What happened to Cats' Marcus Tappan after his recent DUI. Still with team? Not sure Joey will get to stick around. The Student Athlete Code will dictate his punishment.
Last I heard he was suspended from the team, he isn't on the Roster so it's likely he's no longer with the team.
Thanks for the feedback. I saw where Choate suspended him, but I was thinking it was pending the outcome of the investigation or hearing. I had never heard what was the final outcome.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 am

Last I heard Tappan was still trying to work his way back onto the team. I would guess that isn't happening if he wasn't here working out with the team all summer. Anyone seen him? Tappan was accused of breaking into a home when he was at Cincinnati and kicked off the team, but he was later exonerated. So his DUI was his first known run-in with the law. I think it was up to him and how he responded to being suspended that determined whether he'd be back on the team or not.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Pecos24 wrote:http://missoulian.com/news/local/griz-f ... 85f38.html

Sounds like Counts is practicing.... :-k

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:44 am

catatac wrote:

So help me out Griz posters. Is this part of Stitts accountability that he demands from players?

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:04 am

Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:

So help me out Griz posters. Is this part of Stitts accountability that he demands from players?
I'm not a griz poster but I'll help. Suspension normally means game time. Still have to practice. Non issue.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable