The Romans and the griz

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ABQCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

The Romans and the griz

Post by ABQCat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm

I’m sitting here on vacation and instead of enjoying 90 degree sunshine, I’m at my computer thinking up a smack thread. Go figure. I’m sure many of thought about this too, so I decided to put fingers to keyboard and see where this went…

Roman (60BC – 14AD): Caesar and his line (Augustus/ Octavius) bring great prosperity and expansion to the Roman Empire including the perfect execution of the government known as the Rebublic. With many conquests including the first ever total control of Gaul, and the conquering and total submission of the superpower Egypt.
Griz (1986 – 1995): Don Read brings great prosperity and expansion to UM including the perfect execution of the Passing Game. The griz have many conquests including the first ever National Championship by conquering the superpower of Marshall.

R (14AD – 37AD): Augustus finally dies and the general Tiberius becomes Emperor. Tiberius is able to continue the Roman tradition and maintain the growth and prosperity of the empire. With no major conquests Tiberius is eventually murdered.
G (1996 – 1999): Reid finally goes away after 10 years and his OC Dennehy becomes head coach. Dennehy continues the winning tradition but fails to win a NC despite having arguably the best griz team ever (1996, 14-1), but then left and has his coaching career murdered at Utah State (19-37 before fired)

(As an aside, not everything went perfectly for the Roman Empire even during their height of their prosperity. There was a story when an un-kept and raw Thracian warrior by the name of Spartacus (Kramer), who went on a rampage against the Empire. He relied on the era’s greatest warrior and field general by the name of Crixus (Lulay) to win many battles up and down the Roman Empire (3 wins in 4 years) including the actual conquering of Rome itself (WaG Bobcat win in 2002). Alas, the Empire again took back control and (temporarily) continued the reign.)

R (37AD – 41AD): Another short lived emperor that many considered to be mad, Caligula was merely trying to stay alive during the whole time as emperor despite his successes. He was eventually murdered.
G (2000 – 2002): Joe Glenn was considered to be mad (by me when I saw him flip off the NM student body at a Wyoming/NM football game). Glenn was eventually left despite winning a NC, and had the football coach equivalent of being murdered when he accepted a job at Wyoming.

R (41AD – 68AD): The Claudius line begins with many conquests, including a successful invasion of Britain and the founding of London. However, this line becomes so caught up in their own incestuous and indulgence behavior that they become unaware of the world changing all around them. Claudius kills his own wife for the belief she is conspiring against him and then marries his own niece. His niece/wife then murders him. Their inbred son, Nero, becomes emperor and then orders the execution of his mom. Although the empire was prosperous during this time, nobody can really explain the incest and infighting going on, and history looks back at this age when the Romans became so self absorbed in their own indulgences that they failed to see that that the rest of the world was growing in strength and numbers in such a way that the Roman empire, as it was once known, will soon become irrelevant. Nero proved to be incredibly unpopular with the Roman citizens for many decisions and indulgences. This era was the height of the Roman orgy where the citizens could freely stroke each other and get each other off, and that was really what history remembers about this era in Roman history despite the many successes.
G (2003 – 2009): The Bobby Hauck was one of the most winning eras in griz football history, but is strangely remembered not for the 80 wins, but for the incessant complaining and entitlement talk by the fan base. The griz have become so self indulged that they fail to realize many teams investing in the infrastructure and building rival programs. Hauck is inexplicably run out of town primarily due to excessive sense of entitlement by the fan base and their belief they deserve to win the National Championship every year. This is the era that brought the height of the orgy know as eGriz.com, where the grizzlies can stroke each other and get each other off, continue their entitlement and inward thinking all the while they continue to be completely ignorant of the changing situation happening all around them.

R (68AD+): The Roman Empire begins its crumbling in earnest. They go through many emperors in a short amount of time, and soon simply start to blend into the rest of region. The reign of power and influence all but disappears over time. Although many in the Empire are in denial of the impending fate of the empire and continue in their self indugence, there are others that begin to foresee that they are losing influence and power as time goes on.
G (2010+): I think everybody knows where I’m going here, but I’ll spell it out anyway. The walls are now fully crumbling all around the griz. There are many fans that are still caught up in the entitlement paradigm and refuse to believe that we are witnessing the beginning of the end. Kudos to the few rational griz fans that can see the writing on the wall and now understand the reign is over. Almost every other program in the BSC is planning some type of upgrade or enhancement to the infrastructure, and gap between the different programs has closed down on the griz. Last year’s miracles (FG at PSU and hail mary pass to beat NAU at home) aren’t going to keep going like they have in the past. Without those two miracles, the griz would have finished with only 5 wins last year, and they could easily finish with only 5 or 6 wins this year.

It’s over.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Romans and the griz

Post by cats2506 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:40 pm

This does not belong in smack, It should be required reading for all who join this board

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Wow.

That is some serious envy.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm

That's simply way too much awesome for one single post. :D

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks ginwa. I now understand that all the smack posted by you and others on that other site is just envy. :lol: That's alot of envy.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:12 pm

You should send this to Dick O'Day. He is of the opinion that if this, if that, the Griz would have gone undefeated. Seriously.

classicat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by classicat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 am

Wow! Brilliant! =D^

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 am

Bravo! =D^

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 am

GrizinWashington wrote:Wow.

That is some serious envy.
Done Deal???

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:38 pm

That was some great work!

GiW is one of those morons that refuses to accept that the griz empire has fully crumbled to the ground :D

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

classicat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by classicat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I may be setting myself up to get slammed here, but as much as I LOVE ABQCat's initial post, it would do well for all of us to consider the example of our biggest rival and recognize that Pride Cometh Before a Fall. It happened to them, let's be careful to not let it happen to us. :wink:

ABQCat

Post by ABQCat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:58 pm

ABQCat wrote: R (68AD+): The Roman Empire begins its crumbling in earnest. They go through many emperors in a short amount of time, and soon simply start to blend into the rest of region. The reign of power and influence all but disappears over time. Although many in the Empire are in denial of the impending fate of the empire and continue in their self indugence, there are others that begin to foresee that they are losing influence and power as time goes on.
I did predict part of the griz' eventual demise will include going through many coaches in a short amount of time. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

MSUcantouchus

The Romans and the griz

Post by MSUcantouchus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Hmm, this is not bad, but seriously get your vacation on. You may have officially lost it!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I hate dark pink

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:23 pm

ABQCat wrote: Without those two miracles, the griz would have finished with only 5 wins last year, and they could easily finish with only 5 or 6 wins this year.

It’s over.

5 or 6 wins or maybe 11 including that great beatdown in bozo

The GRIZ, a quarter century of total football dominance over the cats.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:05 am

a little late the the party aren't we there ECG? Considering this post was from almost a year ago...

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:13 am

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
ABQCat wrote: Without those two miracles, the griz would have finished with only 5 wins last year, and they could easily finish with only 5 or 6 wins this year.

It’s over.

Overlooked the recent posts????

The GRIZ, a quarter century of total football dominance over the cats.

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Hilarious.....Bravo! =D^ :lol:

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

ABQCat

Post by ABQCat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:56 am

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
Eastcoastgriz wrote:

It’s over.

Overlooked the recent posts????
Let me give you a history lesson ECG. Try to keep up this time.

The collapse of the Roman Empire didn't happen overnight. Most point to the reign of Nero as the embodiment of the collapse, but there we good times even during this lunatic’s regime. In fact, early on Nero tried to embody as much as he could of the Augustus era and was perceived to be level headed and mature. Nothing could have been further from the truth, and this simply allowed the naive Roman populous to ignore the fact that the walls were crumbling around them in full force. Again, the most striking element of the whole collapse of the Roman Empire was the fact the people simply didn't get it while it was happening. They chose instead to place their pride on various conquests by the military going on simultaneously or how beautiful their city was, and of course they continued in their self-indulgence.

The grizzly program is now going through a perfectly analogous systematic crumbling. I didn't know about most of the current scandals going on when I wrote my original post, but it actually lines up perfectly. Many naïve fans have been able to wrap themselves around an 11 win season and are choosing to ignore the startling reality playing out all around them. Forgetting for a minute the full scope of the fallout with these scandals (which could be significant), you guys have an interim coach in a year with tremendous turnover and a brutal schedule. USD, @App St, Liberty, NAU, and @EWU are all losable games. You are going feel what like to not fill up the stands and watch your backlog for season tickets all but evaporate. And there will be turncoats…lots of turncoats. These will mostly come from Billings (where you didn’t even go this spring) and Great Falls who simply decide they want to go watch the Bobcats in Bozeman instead. These will not be the select view that read forums like this, but the fans that get what they know from the newspaper.

Go ahead and keep your head in the sand if you want. History says you will.

ABQCat

Post by ABQCat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am

I keep hoping more people would want to play along with this thread. I could be writing volumes on this subject but I'm holding back. Here's another example that will hopefully get the ball rolling with some other posters that enjoy Roman history:

Pflugrad is actaully Nero. Recall that during a time when fires were ravaging Rome in 64AD, it is believed the Nero just simply played his violin and let everything burn to the ground. Ultimately, Nero's own Senate finally turned on him and flogged him to death in 68AD.
ImageImageImage

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:38 pm

I really like this thread. It is very informative. I like history lessons applied to current events. So go on and write your volumes. I'll read it.