Kobe! Kobe!!

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Kobe! Kobe!!

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 pm

Wow!!! The Warriors got the wins record, but Kobe stole the show.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kobe! Kobe!!

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 pm

Yep. Fun night of hoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Usually after 24 hours things like this lose their luster. I'm still amazed at this performance. He set the record for shot attempts (it didn't become an official stay until 1984), which seems like a "so what" stat, but Kobe was never an exceptional shooter percentage-wise. What he was was a fighter. Remember Game 7 of The Finals against Boston? He had a horrible shooting night, but led the Lakers to the win. It's like he played harder to make up for his missed shots.

The last 5-6 minutes were incredible. The post game was great. Everyone (and everyone was someone) was smiling. It was so unexpected. And Kobe didn't start blubbering. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was refreshing to see a superstar go out without getting all choked up.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 am

TomCat88 wrote:Usually after 24 hours things like this lose their luster. I'm still amazed at this performance. He set the record for shot attempts (it didn't become an official stay until 1984), which seems like a "so what" stat, but Kobe was never an exceptional shooter percentage-wise. What he was was a fighter. Remember Game 7 of The Finals against Boston? He had a horrible shooting night, but led the Lakers to the win. It's like he played harder to make up for his missed shots.

The last 5-6 minutes were incredible. The post game was great. Everyone (and everyone was someone) was smiling. It was so unexpected. And Kobe didn't start blubbering. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it was refreshing to see a superstar go out without getting all choked up.
As a lifelong diehard Lakers fan, I love Kobe, and it was awesome to see him go out in a blaze of glory like that. But I've always felt it was a huge injustice that he got the Finals MVP award, when they beat the Celtics in 2010. How can you give the MVP to a guy who shoots 7 for 29 in game 7? Meanwhile, Pau Gasol had something like 22 points and 20 rebounds in that same Game 7. Again though, it was pretty cool to see him go for 60 the other night, even if it did take him 50 shots to get there. As much as I hate to see him go though, it's time for the Lakers to turn the page, and start building around their young (potential) stars. If Russell, Randle, Clarkson, and Nance are developed properly, there's no reason that this team shouldn't become fairly good within the next couple of years, and they'll be getting another very high draft pick again this year. If they can lure a big time free agent to LA in the next year or two, they could be a legitimate contender again fairly soon.