Cam Newton

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Cam Newton

Post by John K » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:01 am

So what are your thoughts on Cam Newton? I think if he's going to do all the showboating that he does when he's winning, then he damn well better be willing to sit at the podium and take it like a man, after a loss. I can't believe how all of the sports talking heads are falling all over themselves, making excuses for his behavior. Then there's the whole thing with not going after that fumble. Do you think some of his teammates are maybe questioning his leadership, after that incident? That was pretty much the ball game when they lost that fumble, and it appeared that he had a pretty good chance at recovering it, if he'd actually gone after it, instead of jumping back away from the scrum.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cam Newton

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 am

John K wrote:So what are your thoughts on Cam Newton? I think if he's going to do all the showboating that he does when he's winning, then he damn well better be willing to sit at the podium and take it like a man, after a loss. I can't believe how all of the sports talking heads are falling all over themselves, making excuses for his behavior. Then there's the whole thing with not going after that fumble. Do you think some of his teammates are maybe questioning his leadership, after that incident? That was pretty much the ball game when they lost that fumble, and it appeared that he had a pretty good chance at recovering it, if he'd actually gone after it, instead of jumping back away from the scrum.
Cannot disagree with any of your post.
His total lack of maturity really shined through. And as we were watching the game and saw his "moves to the ball" I was not sure I was looking at it correctly until the replay. Everyone in the room has the same thought, what the heck is he doing?
Pretty sad...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:58 am

http://ftw.usatoday.com/201 ... n-critcism

Good read. You might look at this, not just as criticism of Cam Newton, but all players including Griz and Cats. We want these guys to play with emotion and clearly Cam was/does. Why then do we criticize them for being too emotional causing them to react in ways "a player should not react." This isn't golf where constant composure is a required element of the game both in decorum and performance. This is football. You feel it when you play it. Cam Newton feels the highest highs or the lowest lows when he plays. I'm not sure we can fault him for that.

The Panthers didn't lose because of Cam Newton not diving for a fumble. They lost because the OL couldn't block the tremendous pass rush Denver brought and the dropped balls by receivers. Those plays were repeated over and over again throughout the game.

As far as him getting up from the press conference after the game, Trent Dilfer said it best. Less is more. Sometimes not saying anything is better than saying something you'll later regret. I agree. If he'd have blamed his OL and receivers (deservedly so) that would have been a far greater sin.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:10 am

http://es.pn/1PMaOfV

Less is more Cam.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:21 am

I can understand being emotional after losing the Superbowl, and cutting short the press conference. However, not diving on his own fumble (even jumping back out of the way) really makes him look selfish. I can understand making that "business decision" in a regular season game, or if the game was out of reach - but in the championship game, down just 6 points, you take the risk and grab that ball. Despite Denver's defensive dominance, the score was just 16-10 at that point. The game was decided on that play.

Kevinsch
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Kevinsch » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 am

I've been a Cam fan since his College days- but he completely lost me with his behavior during the National Anthem. Maybe he acts like that all the time, I don't watch Carolina so I don't know. I get all the on field antics. Just like Big Play VA, I can appriciate some showboating when you back it up with your play.

Just think some respect during the Anthem isn't to much to ask.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 am

I actually don't know why people care so much. Panther fans love him, opposing fans don't....unless Cam is traded to said opposing team, then they would love him. The guy doesn't beat up women or kids, I don't think he's a dirty player, I don't think he's ever been accused of sexual assault, and as far as I know he's never been arrested. I guess I don't have strong feelings for or against the guy and I'm of the opinion that people getting so worked are wasting a lot of good time and energy on how a guy behaves on the field.

:shrug:

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

I like the young enthusiasm that Cam displays when he plays. He's having fun and I think it's great. But what he did at the post game conference was miss an opportunity to solidify himself as the real team leader and set the stage to win the next Super Bowl. If you're a leader, you can't be one part of the time and only when things are going good. When things kinda suck for a little bit, you have to be the one to rally the troops, per se, and keep everyone moving forward. If you can't, I question whether you actually are a leader or not.

Keeping it short and sweet is fine and even having the negative emotions is fine....but much better put as something like "ya, this one hurts a lot. And today, those guys in the other locker room deserve credit for putting together and playing a better game than us. We will learn from this, apply and be back ready to compete to win this again next year. Our off-season will be motivated by the sting of this loss."

But to sit there disconnected and pouty-looking exuded none of the leadership skills that grown men (who have mostly been leaders themselves) need. At the end, is that the pouty face you want as the face of your franchise?

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:08 pm

I have no problem with Cam but his behavior Sunday was awful. For contrast here is Russell Wilson's post-game interview after losing in much more dramatic fashion last year:

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:16 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I have no problem with Cam but his behavior Sunday was awful. For contrast here is Russell Wilson's post-game interview after losing in much more dramatic fashion last year:

True, but Marshawn Lynch and Doug Baldwin got off pretty much scott free last year, and I thought they acted far worse than Newton.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I have no problem with Cam but his behavior Sunday was awful. For contrast here is Russell Wilson's post-game interview after losing in much more dramatic fashion last year:

True, but Marshawn Lynch and Doug Baldwin got off pretty much scott free last year, and I thought they acted far worse than Newton.
I agree. Bottom line is that he acted terrible but will hopefully learn from it and do better next time.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm

wbtfg wrote:

The difference is Wilson is absolutely the face of that franchise and undisputed leader. Marshawn Lynch had never been in that role and Baldwin, while a good player, is not the leader either. Wilson had his opportunity to put on the face of leader, and secured his spot as one. Newton missed his opportunity.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Right, I understand that, I just don't understand why people are physically upset about that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:26 pm

No need to make a new thread. Sonoma, is this article a big fat lie, or is it true? This guy says Win or Lose, Cam was paying all or double his super bowl earnings to the state of California.

http://www.capoliticalreview.com/capoli ... ist-state/

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:15 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:No need to make a new thread. Sonoma, is this article a big fat lie, or is it true? This guy says Win or Lose, Cam was paying all or double his super bowl earnings to the state of California.

That's one way to look at it -- he will be taxed on a portion of his full year income in CA for the time he spent "working" in California. This is how income taxes work in most states. Because he makes a ton of money over the course of 2016, his couple weeks of work in California results in a lot of taxable income in CA, upon which the state income tax will be applied.

The important part that they are not speaking to in this analysis is the concept of "tax credit for taxes paid to another state." To the extent he pays taxes in California (and all of the other states in which he will need to pay taxes due to playing games there), he will get a credit on his North Carolina income tax return.

So the net effect of all of this is that each state will tax you on your time spent working in those states, but in theory that will reduce the taxes you pay in your home state ... which makes sense, since you weren't working in your home state during those days.

This construct makes for good headlines, but when they start to suggest that Cam is losing money by playing in the Super Bowl due to taxes they are most likely way off base.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:20 pm

SonomaCat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:No need to make a new thread. Sonoma, is this article a big fat lie, or is it true? This guy says Win or Lose, Cam was paying all or double his super bowl earnings to the state of California.

That's one way to look at it -- he will be taxed on a portion of his full year income in CA for the time he spent "working" in California. This is how income taxes work in most states. Because he makes a ton of money over the course of 2016, his couple weeks of work in California results in a lot of taxable income in CA, upon which the state income tax will be applied.

The part that they are speaking to in this analysis is the concept of "tax credit for taxes paid to another state." To the extent he pays taxes in California (and all of the other states in which he will need to pay taxes due to playing games there), he will get a credit on his North Carolina income tax return.

So the net effect of all of this is that each state will tax you on your time spent working in those states, but in theory that will reduce the taxes you pay in your home state ... which makes sense, since you weren't working in your home state during those days.
While California is out of control, I hate these type of agenda driven articles, that only tell half the story. Sadly, even the supposed journalists usually write with an agenda in mind.
This construct makes for good headlines, but when they start to suggest that Cam is losing money by playing in the Super Bowl due to taxes they are most likely way off base.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 pm

SonomaCat wrote:

The part that they are speaking to in this analysis is the concept of "tax credit for taxes paid to another state." To the extent he pays taxes in California (and all of the other states in which he will need to pay taxes due to playing games there), he will get a credit on his North Carolina income tax return.

Thanks, I kind of figured it was a little disingenuous, so I deferred to our resident expert.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:36 pm

If a player came from a state with no income tax, I think it would then be fully out-of-pocket, though. I'm also not sure if they get full credit for those taxes paid to other states or if they only get the credit up to the tax rate of NC.

Federalism is a pain in the arse when it comes to taxes -- fifty states with fifty different sets of laws and people traveling and working freely between all of them. We generally just ignore most of the rules for lower income people, but when you get up to the level of CEOs or pro athletes the states start to take notice so you need to keep track of how many days they work in each state (and sometimes city) and pay the allocated amount of taxes in each.