Inflategate

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Inflategate

Post by allcat » Thu May 07, 2015 4:33 pm

RickRund wrote:The BIG problem I have with this is that the KEY WORDS here is that the Pats have CHEATED. I really don't care if they had won by a record shutout score of 223-0, they have probably been caught cheating. The irony is that they didn't need to cheat. But they felt that the rules needed to be bent as to get an advantage.....
Just as I will always feel that "Hammering" Henry Aaron will always be the true home run king.....
I think a lot of people look for whatever edge they can use. Some of these things they calculate the odds of getting caught. When they get caught, then Clintonize and say it was nothing. I would penalize Brady a year. I would make Kraft sell the team (ala the NBA). I would take away the next 3 number 1's next 2 number 2"s and the next number 3. I know that is a huge penalty, but what would that do to the next guy calculating the odds?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu May 07, 2015 5:06 pm

I CANNOT disagree....The only way you can begin to put a stop to these issues is to have HARD, TOUGH penalties.....

Eric Bolling on "the Five" feels it is a stupid rule to regulate how much air you put in the footballs. I really cannot come up with a argument against what he says. But until then, IT IS A RULE.....And the rules need to either be enforced or changed.....

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 pm

The one rule that always drives me nuts is when you get an illegal block on a kick return, the the block not even affecting the play. Nobody says don't enforce it, it was no big deal. Besides everybody does it. :-k

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 8:13 am

Would people be losing their minds about this, if it was the QB for Jacksonsville or TB, or anyone else for that matter, rather than the Pats/Tom Brady? I can't believe the way people are overreacting to this. I honestly didn't realize there was such a high level of hatred for the Pats among sports fans. Jerry Rice has admitted to using stickum after it was illegal. Tons of offensive linemen have admitted to spraying anti-stick stuff on their uniforms. How about (for those of you old enough to remember) when George Brett got busted for having too much pine tar on his bat, or when Gaylord Perry got caught throwing spitballs? Hockey players sometimes get caught using sticks with too much curvature. These sorts of things have been going on forever, in every sport. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any punishment at all, but some people are calling for Brady to be suspended for an entire season, or at least half the season, and that's just crazy. I never have understand why the NFL doesn't control the balls, and have both teams use the same balls. That would seem to be a simple way to prevent this from happening in the future.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri May 08, 2015 9:03 am

And I was naive enough at the time that I thought MLB would bring down a bit of punishment on Brett. And the others I agree totally...I forget the punishment on Pineda for using a foreign substance and as a Yankee fan agreed he should have been suspended.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 9:13 am

RickRund wrote:And I was naive enough at the time that I thought MLB would bring down a bit of punishment on Brett. And the others I agree totally...I forget the punishment on Pineda for using a foreign substance and as a Yankee fan agreed he should have been suspended.
It was a long time ago, so I don't remember for sure, but I believe Brett got suspended for maybe three games for the pine tar incident. That's 1.85% of a 162 game schedule...roughly equivalent to being suspended for one quarter of one game, in a 16 game NFL schedule.

Edit: I just looked it up, and it appears that Brett wasn't suspended at all for the pine tar incident, although they disallowed the home run that he hit with the pine tar bat, and he was ejected from the game.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 am

John K wrote:
RickRund wrote:And I was naive enough at the time that I thought MLB would bring down a bit of punishment on Brett. And the others I agree totally...I forget the punishment on Pineda for using a foreign substance and as a Yankee fan agreed he should have been suspended.
It was a long time ago, so I don't remember for sure, but I believe Brett got suspended for maybe three games for the pine tar incident. That's 1.85% of a 162 game schedule...roughly equivalent to being suspended for one quarter of one game, in a 16 game NFL schedule.

Edit: I just looked it up, and it appears that Brett wasn't suspended at all for the pine tar incident, although they disallowed the home run that he hit with the pine tar bat, and he was ejected from the game.
I hear what you're saying John. I agree that if it wasn't the Patriots, there would be less uproar. But that's part of it - if some 4-12 team was caught cheating, people wouldn't care as much because obviously their cheating isn't helping them.

I don't believe that letting a couple pounds of pressure out of a football is what makes Ton Brady great. He'd surely still have 4 rings regardless. However, he obviously feels it gives him a competitive edge, or he wouldn't be doing it. Why risk it if there's nothing to gain?

And not only did he do it, he paid the equipment guys for their illegal services, and he did not cooperate fully with the Wells' investigation (refused to turn over his text and email records). That is now considered "conduct detrimental to the league", ironically since the Spygate investigation happened.

The Patriots also didn't fully cooperate with the investigation by not making the equipment guy available for a 2nd interview as Wells requested. Not to mention that this is their second trip to the principal's office under Goodell.

I'm guessing there will be a big fine and possibly a lost draft pick for the Pats, and Tom Brady is gonna be suspended multiple games, not just for tampering with the footballs but for "conduct detrimental to the league".

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 08, 2015 11:19 am

91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

I hear what you're saying John. I agree that if it wasn't the Patriots, there would be less uproar. But that's part of it - if some 4-12 team was caught cheating, people wouldn't care as much because obviously their cheating isn't helping them.

I don't believe that letting a couple pounds of pressure out of a football is what makes Ton Brady great. He'd surely still have 4 rings regardless. However, he obviously feels it gives him a competitive edge, or he wouldn't be doing it. Why risk it if there's nothing to gain?

And not only did he do it, he paid the equipment guys for their illegal services, and he did not cooperate fully with the Wells' investigation (refused to turn over his text and email records). That is now considered "conduct detrimental to the league", ironically since the Spygate investigation happened.

The Patriots also didn't fully cooperate with the investigation by not making the equipment guy available for a 2nd interview as Wells requested. Not to mention that this is their second trip to the principal's office under Goodell.

I'm guessing there will be a big fine and possibly a lost draft pick for the Pats, and Tom Brady is gonna be suspended multiple games, not just for tampering with the footballs but for "conduct detrimental to the league".
It's the patriots that keep getting caught. If it was the Tampa Bay qb, it would be the first I've heard about them. Turning this back on out team, how would we feel if a player for the Cats kept getting caught doing wrong with virtually no punishment. It is not just Brady, it is the organization.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 12:21 pm

allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

It's the patriots that keep getting caught. If it was the Tampa Bay qb, it would be the first I've heard about them. Turning this back on out team, how would we feel if a player for the Cats kept getting caught doing wrong with virtually no punishment. It is not just Brady, it is the organization.
No punishment? What are you talking about? They got hit pretty hard for the spying incident.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 08, 2015 2:54 pm

John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

No punishment? What are you talking about? They got hit pretty hard for the spying incident.
Yes, but don't you think that the punishment should increase with each time they get caught?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 3:09 pm

allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

Yes, but don't you think that the punishment should increase with each time they get caught?
No I don't...not necessarily. That should depend upon the severity of the offense, and to me, this seems relatively minor compared to the spying incident. Again, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any punishment at all, but I certainly don't think Brady should be suspended for a full season, or even half a season....maybe one or two games.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 08, 2015 3:30 pm

John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

No I don't...not necessarily. That should depend upon the severity of the offense, and to me, this seems relatively minor compared to the spying incident. Again, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any punishment at all, but I certainly don't think Brady should be suspended for a full season, or even half a season....maybe one or two games.
I think the initial punishment will be at least 4 and no more than 8 games, given the climate of the NFL over the last year. But Brady will appeal and it will eventually be reduced down to 2-4 games. Just my guess.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri May 08, 2015 3:46 pm

91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

I think the initial punishment will be at least 4 and no more than 8 games, given the climate of the NFL over the last year. But Brady will appeal and it will eventually be reduced down to 2-4 games. Just my guess.
Plus, keep in mind that the report didn't include any conclusive proof of wrongdoing. It was based solely on circumstantial evidence, that led them to believe that Brady/the Pats "probably" intentionally under-inflated the balls. I don't know how the NFL can justify punishing Brady or the team too severely, without having any solid proof. For the record, I'm not a Pats fan. I just think the Pats haters are sort of going off the deep end on this deal.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 08, 2015 3:59 pm

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

I hate the Cowboys, so my punishments are all perfectly fine.

Plus, keep in mind that the report didn't include any conclusive proof of wrongdoing. It was based solely on circumstantial evidence, that led them to believe that Brady/the Pats "probably" intentionally under-inflated the balls. I don't know how the NFL can justify punishing Brady or the team too severely, without having any solid proof. For the record, I'm not a Pats fan. I just think the Pats haters are sort of going off the deep end on this deal.
I hate the Cowboys, so all is good. If this were the Cowboys, I would make them move to Des Moines.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 08, 2015 4:06 pm

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
John K wrote:
allcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:

True. But the league might view the conduct detrimental / failure to cooperate as a worse offense.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri May 08, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm curious, if you do hate the patriots are you really covering up patriophobia?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun May 10, 2015 9:12 am

I believe Brady screwed himself on this, and I think he should get a full year suspension (that could be because I hate the patriots). The thing that chaps me most on this issue is not the cheating. Lots of players cheat, everywhere. Players are always going to be looking to gain an advantage, a deflated football I see as a minimal advantage. If Brady were to own up to it, and not treat us like we're all stupid, then I'd probably be able to forgive him. Yet stands there, caught red handed, and his still denies... Screw you Brady, we're not stupid.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Wow. It's just disappointing. Again. The sports world is producing almost as much negative news as positive. It's becoming an odd way to pass the time.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun May 10, 2015 6:55 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Wow. It's just disappointing. Again. The sports world is producing almost as much negative news as positive. It's becoming an odd way to pass the time.
That is the same as everything, more reporting and also reporting things people used to just leave alone. I blame the writers.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 pm

allcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Wow. It's just disappointing. Again. The sports world is producing almost as much negative news as positive. It's becoming an odd way to pass the time.
That is the same as everything, more reporting and also reporting things people used to just leave alone. I blame the writers.
And now I feel better? :lol:

(The lol emoticon looks like Buck Owens)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber