Inflategate

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Inflategate

Post by John K » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am

I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on Inflategate, aka "shrinkage". What does BN think about it...big deal, little deal, or no deal?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Inflategate

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 am

Sour grapes from the Colts

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:44 am

John K wrote:I'm surprised that no one has commented yet on Inflategate, aka "shrinkage". What does BN think about it...big deal, little deal, or no deal?
The cheating is the big deal. The Patriots sent out the sweeper guy in one of their championship games. They got caught filming, against the rules. Bellichek is really good at using the rules, but he also breaks them badly. Kraft knows about all of this. Then they use the same tactics as the Obama admin by claiming no knowledge. Do you really think some ball boy would take it on his own to deflate the balls. How about Bellichek's answer that the atmosphere did it , but only to the Patriot balls.

I still think they should make Kraft sell the team. Take away the 1st and 2nd round drafts for 3 years. They fine Lynch 100,000 for not talking to the media, They should fine the Patriots $10,000,000. I'm probably letting them off easy.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:53 am

Its more than sour grapes. Here's a study by an engineer, Warren Sharp, who found that the patriots mysteriously started fumbling the football much, much less than the other 31 teams starting in 2007 - when teams were first allowed to bring their own footballs to games:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-ga ... 5-nfl.html

We know that:
1) The footballs were tested by the officials to be properly inflated prior to the game.
2) The patriot footballs were 2 psi low (or more) at halftime, and the colts footballs were not.
3) Only the patriots personnel and staff had access to the footballs in that timeframe.

So either somebody is framing the patriots... or else Tom Brady and/or Belicheck are lying.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 am

One more link - I found it pretty interesting what Troy Aikman had to say.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/ex-players ... elievable/
“It’s obvious that Tom Brady had something to do with this,” Aikman told a Dallas radio station. “For the balls to be deflated, that doesn’t happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen, I can assure you of that.”

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Ok, so let's say they did deflate the balls. The balls had nothing to do with getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. It's soooo sour grapes.

I say this as someone who can't stand Brady and really don't like the Parriots.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 pm

I think I usually always agree with LTCF, a big % of the time, but I really think something smells VERY fishy here.
My question is why something may have been done.....Without the balls being tampered with the score would have still been 45-7.
Granted, if another Colts team had showed up that day maybe the score had been different. Say maybe 35-20. But the Colts do not win that day.....

And I DO NOT like the Pats or Brady!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:42 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Ok, so let's say they did deflate the balls. The balls had nothing to do with getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. It's soooo sour grapes.

In that one Colts game, you're correct. What about the other 120+ games since 2007?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Most of these guys have hands like softball gloves sooo I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is.

Now, if you have a small hand and seldom uncork 50+ bombs like say D Mac. probably has real value................ Some one should send this to our equipment guys. Never know when we may have another QB with small hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Inflategate

Post by 77matcat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

I bet griz do this all the time. They are always on top of trickery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:04 pm

77matcat wrote:Most of these guys have hands like softball gloves sooo I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is.
Then why did they do it? It might be a small advantage, fair enough. But its still breaking the rules to gain an advantage.

In a league that threatens to suspend Marshawn Lynch, for a playoff game, for wearing the wrong color shoes - tampering with a football to gain a competitive edge should be dealt with harshly and not just brushed off as no big deal.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Why? Probably because it feels better and not like a frozen brick

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:17 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Ok, so let's say they did deflate the balls. The balls had nothing to do with getting dominated at the line of scrimmage. It's soooo sour grapes.

has anyone from the colts even said anything? my understanding is it wasn't even them that brought it to attention. other teams have suggested the same thing.

I have heard one colts player or coach say anything yet, let alone blame the blowout on the deflating of balls.

but I haven't paid much attention either...

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

has anyone from the colts even said anything? my understanding is it wasn't even them that brought it to attention. other teams have suggested the same thing.

I have heard one colts player or coach say anything yet, let alone blame the blowout on the deflating of balls.

One of their players noticed during the game and told the refs

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:26 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

The colts aren't blaming the loss on the deflated balls. In fact I heard one of the Colts players say that NE would have won the game with nerf balls or anything else, they dominated that day.

Problem is, that doesn't matter. If you cheat to gain a competitive advantage, you should be held accountable no matter how bad you won or lost the game.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:33 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Why? Probably because it feels better and not like a frozen brick
The AFC championship game temp was 51 degrees. No frozen bricks.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:41 pm

For me it is not really about some under inflated balls. It is about the pattern that the Patriots seem to keep getting caught doing something outside of the rules. The football thread says give the kid from Cincinnati a short leash. It would appear the Patriots don't even have a leash, despite their previous forays against the rules.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:49 pm

allcat wrote:For me it is not really about some under inflated balls. It is about the pattern that the Patriots seem to keep getting caught doing something outside of the rules. The football thread says give the kid from Cincinnati a short leash. It would appear the Patriots don't even have a leash, despite their previous forays against the rules.
Exactly.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:18 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

One of their players noticed during the game and told the refs
ilovethecats wrote:

The first time they noticed was at Brady's interception. If he had not tossed that one "bad ball" no one would have known.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:35 am

@richeisen: So @RapSheet now reporting only ONE Patriots football from AFC title game was 2PSI below legal limit. 10 other footballs just "a tick" below