Cleveland Indians

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Cleveland Indians

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:57 pm

This isn't new, but it's new to me ... and pretty awesome:

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cleveland Indians

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:This isn't new, but it's new to me ... and pretty awesome:

What about the New Delhi Wops?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Then of course we have the Vikings. As far as I can tell there isn't a single person of Scandinavian descent that is upset about the use of the name Viking.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah, and nobody of Turkish descent complains about the USC Trojans, either, and no French or Irish people complain about the Celtics, and they are exactly the same thing as the Chinamen, Jews, and Indians face caricatures in the picture. Like I said ... awesome!

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:00 pm

But even when portrayed with images that show a strong and proud people it seems that the vocal minority still take offense at team names and mascots. I just find the whole issue more of some folks playing the victim when originally there was never any intention of putting anyone or any group down.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 am

Yeah, people are way too sensitive when their own group is being caricatured for marketing fodder for a sports corporation.

You know what would be cool? What if a city full of atheists had a pro sports team, and they really wanted that team to display traits such as pride and stength and ferocity. Why, they could just name them the "Christians." They would use a caricature of a priest from the inquisition as their mascot, and he would have this huge toothy grin on his face. At halftime, they'd have the mascot come out onto the field in his flowing black robe, and he'd do this really exagerrated sign of the cross, and then he'd mimic forms of tortune used back in the day to put evil in its place and to advance the cause of Christianity. This would show, in undeniable terms, the strength and ferocity embraced by Christians, and would serve as just the kind of intimidating mascot the team wants to strike fear into their opponents.

And like you say, I'm sure nobody would be offended by something like that, outside of a vocal minority that just likes playing the victim. Everyone else would realize that this mascot is actually a positive thing, as it signifies strengh and pride.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:Yeah, people are way too sensitive when their own group is being caricatured for marketing fodder for a sports corporation.

You know what would be cool? What if a city full of atheists had a pro sports team, and they really wanted that team to display traits such as pride and stength and ferocity. Why, they could just name them the "Christians." They would use a caricature of a priest from the inquisition as their mascot, and he would have this huge toothy grin on his face. At halftime, they'd have the mascot come out onto the field in his flowing black robe, and he'd do this really exagerrated sign of the cross, and then he'd mimic forms of tortune used back in the day to put evil in its place and to advance the cause of Christianity. This would show, in undeniable terms, the strength and ferocity embraced by Christians, and would serve as just the kind of intimidating mascot the team wants to strike fear into their opponents.

And like you say, I'm sure nobody would be offended by something like that, outside of a vocal minority that just likes playing the victim. Everyone else would realize that this mascot is actually a positive thing, as it signifies strengh and pride.
I'm with you on this one, where do we buy the jersey?

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:Yeah, people are way too sensitive when their own group is being caricatured for marketing fodder for a sports corporation.

Wow is that how the New Orleans saints got their name? and did a whole city of Christians get together and put together the New Jersey Devils for your stated reasons? To be honest I just don't care enough about this issue to really carry on much further. My involvement at all is mostly because it still seems like much ado about nothing. So once the pitch fork and flaming torch crowd has cleansed us from these insensitive sport team names what will they move on to? Will it be Sioux city, Miami, Cheyenne and Spokane? How dare anyone use any of these names for a city that isn't ours. The use of the name Winnebago for a motor home must be overwhelmingly insulting too.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:43 pm

I remember a few years ago an intramural team (can't remember the school) named themselves the Fighting Whities...holy cow did they catch a lot of flack. I thought it was quite funny

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:45 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:I remember a few years ago an intramural team (can't remember the school) named themselves the Fighting Whities...holy cow did they catch a lot of flack. I thought it was quite funny
I guess it was Northern Colorado, 2002

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Whites.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:

Wow is that how the New Orleans saints got their name? and did a whole city of Christians get together and put together the New Jersey Devils for your stated reasons? To be honest I just don't care enough about this issue to really carry on much further. My involvement at all is mostly because it still seems like much ado about nothing. So once the pitch fork and flaming torch crowd has cleansed us from these insensitive sport team names what will they move on to? Will it be Sioux city, Miami, Cheyenne and Spokane? How dare anyone use any of these names for a city that isn't ours. The use of the name Winnebago for a motor home must be overwhelmingly insulting too.
Fortunately, all saints are dead, by definition, so none of them are able to complain. But I'm sure a vocal minority would if they could ... you know, because they like to be victims. Same with the devils. Of all of the devils living on earth right now, none have complained, which I guess can only be explained by saying that this must prove that devils don't really exist. Because if they did, I'm sure a vocal minority of them would be trying to play the victim and complaining.

But yeah, I totally agree with you ... why on earth should we ever get rid of sports team names that are insulting toward ethnic groups? We should have more of them! I'm really looking forward to the Idaho Darkies and their Sambo-inspired mascot. That will be awesome! Oh, sure, some black people might complain about having a goofy caricature of a black person and their entire identity co-opted for the sake of sports marketing, but they really need to get over themselves, am I right or am I right, people? That's right. I'm right.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:30 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:I remember a few years ago an intramural team (can't remember the school) named themselves the Fighting Whities...holy cow did they catch a lot of flack. I thought it was quite funny
I guess it was Northern Colorado, 2002

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... Whites.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's pretty awesome, too. There's a lot of ways they could go with that. I think the best would be to have a shoe-liberated white person in white people traditional overalls-with-one-side-unbottoned-and-no-shirt garb (with a huge goofy smile on his face, exposing his noble missing teeth, who comes out at halftime and does a jig that, through the miracles of hoe-down interpretation dance, tells a tale of woe about the fact that the dang ol' gub'mint won't let him have slaves to do his work for him anymore. That would show his "pride" (Confederate Pride y'all) and his tenacity and, above all, his desire to dominate other races through violence, just as the football team intends to do to each of its opponents. As a proud European-American myself, I'd take great pride in a sports team using "Fighting Whities" in such a way, as it would honor my ancestry and culture as only a sports team mascot is capable.

Steve Steverson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Steve Steverson » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Browning Indians, Poplar Indians, Cleveland Indians. Hmmm

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:43 am

Steve Steverson wrote:Browning Indians, Poplar Indians, Cleveland Indians. Hmmm
You forgot the pictures. We need to see how goofy the Indians in Browning and Poplar portray Indians with their Indians mascots. I bet its awesome.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Do we need to see what their mascots look like? From all that you have written in this thread you have made it crystal clear that there is not a single positive thing that can come from any team having a team name and mascot in anyway associated with anything related to native Americans.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:Do we need to see what their mascots look like? From all that you have written in this thread you have made it crystal clear that there is not a single positive thing that can come from any team having a team name and mascot in anyway associated with anything related to native Americans.
Yea if BAC can't mock you, he loses his debating powers.Of course I do the same thing, Ijust look at it from a common sense perspective. \:D/

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:42 pm

You are a padres fan?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 pm

geogfather wrote:

You are a padres fan?
Isn't it funny when BAC sees his posts turned around.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:22 pm

The padres do that? I must have missed it when I was in San Diego. Please send me a YouTube link so I can enjoy it.

It would be great to see some violent imagery out of that sports corporation, even if it's just from a mascot.

Of course, this really wouldn't be as awesome as changing the name to "Christians" so it related to millions of real living people, and then characterized that word as a culture of bloodthirsty conquerors whose nobility and strength flows from their lack of cultural sophistication . That would be awesome.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 am

If people just told people that were offended to STFU, nobody cares that your offended, they would soon find something else to bitch about and be offended about like taxes or the DH.

I think it would be awesome if there was a team called the Christians and christians were pissed off and offended about it. Screw em they can go pray to their god to fix the problem (with the usual results) and deal with it like everyone else has too.

For the record I dont find any of the hats offensive that the OP posted..........in fact I want that Chinaman one.

Indians are what 3 million people in a country of 305 million......yeah not even a speed bump STFU

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com