I'll Have Another

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

I'll Have Another

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm

That was an even more exciting race at The Preakness than they had at the Kentucky Derby. What a great name for a horse. Here's to him winning the The Belmont Stakes and the triple crown.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: I'll Have Another

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon May 21, 2012 9:42 pm

I know almost nothing about horse racing, but I watched that race and it was awesome.

I do like to watch the old videos of Secretariat winning at Belmont-gives me goose bumps.

[youtube][/youtube]

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue May 22, 2012 8:57 am

I like I'll Have Another's chances. Granted, the Belmont is a longer race, so horses like Union Rags and Alpha would seem to have an advantage. Bodemeister won't be running. The one thing I have noticed with I'll Have Another, is that although he lags back early and then makes his burst at the last turn, he still doesn't look like he's working. In both the Derby and the Preakness, if you watch Bodemeister, he's really laboring in the home stretch. His jowls are really high indicating he's laboring for air, and his stride becomes heavier. I'll Have Another still has a high light stride at the finish. I think it'll be tough, but he's got enough gas in the tank to win a longer race. The sport really needs a Triple Crown winner.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am

I'm not really a horse racing fan either, but I admit that I always get excited about the prospect of a potential Triple Crown winner. I was really rooting for Smarty Jones and Big Brown when they ran in the Belmont with a chance at the TC on the line, and I'll be rooting for I'll Have Another this year too. His come from behind wins in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness were about as exciting as any sporting event that you'll ever see, and I'm really looking forward to watching the Belmont again this year.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue May 22, 2012 10:11 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:I know almost nothing about horse racing, but I watched that race and it was awesome.

I do like to watch the old videos of Secretariat winning at Belmont-gives me goose bumps.

[youtube][/youtube]
Have you seen the movie Secretariat? It was a great flick.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue May 22, 2012 6:26 pm

John K wrote:Have you seen the movie Secretariat? It was a great flick.
Yep. I enjoyed it. The ESPN Sports Century documentary on Secretariat was really good too.

BandCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BandCat » Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm

I get so conflicted about horse racing. The conditions and the way some people treat the horses at smaller racetracks and in some other countries are horrific. At the same time, I get suckered in by the prospect of a Triple Crown. Watching horses that are treated well you can appreciate what an amazing species they are, and how much they want to run.

I'll be rooting for I'll Have Another in the Belmont.

Spirit of the West Marching Band- 4 year Member
Kappa Kappa Psi

Now a Buckeye, but always a Bobcat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:31 pm

John K wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:I know almost nothing about horse racing, but I watched that race and it was awesome.

[youtube][/youtube]
Have you seen the movie Secretariat? It was a great flick.
It is and I've watched that clip BB posted many times. The call by the track announcer was incredible. Horse racing announcers are some of the best, if not the best. "He is moving like a tremendous machine. Secretariat by 12! Secretariat by 14 lengths on the turn! Sham is dropping back now..." They do a good job of replicating it in the movie.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 am

No Triple Crown winner this year....

http://helenair.com/news/national/i-ll- ... 963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

BandCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BandCat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm disappointed, but glad they're playing it safe. Of course he'll make more money over the course of the rest of his life as a stud than he would've made tomorrow winning, so you know they would protect their investment as much as possible.

Spirit of the West Marching Band- 4 year Member
Kappa Kappa Psi

Now a Buckeye, but always a Bobcat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:Have you seen the movie Secretariat? It was a great flick.
Yep. I enjoyed it. The ESPN Sports Century documentary on Secretariat was really good too.
Here is the ESPN documentary as part of the greatest athletes of the 20th century, almost 40 minutes

[youtube][/youtube]

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.