New Vikings Stadium

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

New Vikings Stadium

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... -certainty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I not a huge Vikings fan, and it sucks that yet again a mega rich owner is bascially shaking down a community or threatening to leave, but I hope they get this done. If Minnesota were ever to lose the Vikings, the morale of the entire upper midwest would absolutely collapse. That would be hard to watch.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: New Vikings Stadium

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 10, 2012 10:04 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... -certainty

I not a huge Vikings fan, and it sucks that yet again a mega rich owner is bascially shaking down a community or threatening to leave, but I hope they get this done. If Minnesota were ever to lose the Vikings, the morale of the entire upper midwest would absolutely collapse. That would be hard to watch.
it was looking VERY bleek even a week ago. i strongly disagree about their mega rich owner though. that guy went above and beyond what any owner would do to keep that team there. this has been a decade long fight, and he easily could have sold the team and they'd be playing in california in a couple years. but he didn't. and in the end he is actually paying 50+ million more than what was agreed upon in the initial negotiations. it was so bad a month ago that i was actually in favor of him doing just that so the people of minnesota could see how stupid and short-sighted they were being.

the wilfs are going to go down as the best owners in vikings history for this move alone. =D^

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri May 11, 2012 12:50 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... -certainty

it was looking VERY bleek even a week ago. i strongly disagree about their mega rich owner though. that guy went above and beyond what any owner would do to keep that team there. this has been a decade long fight, and he easily could have sold the team and they'd be playing in california in a couple years. but he didn't. and in the end he is actually paying 50+ million more than what was agreed upon in the initial negotiations. it was so bad a month ago that i was actually in favor of him doing just that so the people of minnesota could see how stupid and short-sighted they were being.

the wilfs are going to go down as the best owners in vikings history for this move alone. =D^
You're right about the Vikings owners. I should have researched a little bit more. And the Metro Dome is a dump (relatively speaking compared to other NFL stadiums).

It will be interesting to see what they do if they build an open air stadium The dome was heavily used-by every small college and high school in that region because it was enclosed. A lot of college baseball games were played there in the spring.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 11, 2012 12:56 pm

my understanding is that it will definitely have a roof. they are throwing around the idea of having it retractable but that will obviously cost more and will be covered solely by the vikings if they choose to go that route. either way i'm excited. vikes will play this season and next in the dome, and then probably at the gophers stadium for a few seasons. believe our new one is set to open in 2016. seems far. :(

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 pm

I'd have to vote the Twin Cities as having the most impressive array of sports stadiums once this is done. They already have Xcel Energy Center for NHL (rated No. 1 in hockey), Target Field for MLB, Target Center (getting some of the revenue for fixups from Vikings Stadium) for NBA, TCF Bank (Gopher football) Stadium for Big Ten college football, I hear the St. Paul Saints have an great minor league stadium, too. Too bad they don't have the teams to match. :P

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 11, 2012 2:12 pm

classless...

:-^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Great example of big business and government working together? Seems to be.

What is the biggest joint project between state/local gov't and big business in Montana?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:I'd have to vote the Twin Cities as having the most impressive array of sports stadiums once this is done. They already have Xcel Energy Center for NHL (rated No. 1 in hockey), Target Field for MLB, Target Center (getting some of the revenue for fixups from Vikings Stadium) for NBA, TCF Bank (Gopher football) Stadium for Big Ten college football, I hear the St. Paul Saints have an great minor league stadium, too. Too bad they don't have the teams to match. :P
Unfortuanately you are right! I lived in Minneapolis for 21 years and that is home to ALL of my favorite teams. That being said Minneapolis is also home to the worst collection of pro sports teams (currently) in the country. The Twins were always good for years and now have one of the worst teams in MLB, The Timberwolves have been bad forever, the Vikings will need several years of rebuilding and the Wild are never better than average. Add in the U of M and then it gets worse!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:38 pm

gtapp wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:I'd have to vote the Twin Cities as having the most impressive array of sports stadiums once this is done. They already have Xcel Energy Center for NHL (rated No. 1 in hockey), Target Field for MLB, Target Center (getting some of the revenue for fixups from Vikings Stadium) for NBA, TCF Bank (Gopher football) Stadium for Big Ten college football, I hear the St. Paul Saints have an great minor league stadium, too. Too bad they don't have the teams to match. :P
Unfortuanately you are right! I lived in Minneapolis for 21 years and that is home to ALL of my favorite teams. That being said Minneapolis is also home to the worst collection of pro sports teams (currently) in the country. The Twins were always good for years and now have one of the worst teams in MLB, The Timberwolves have been bad forever, the Vikings will need several years of rebuilding and the Wild are never better than average. Add in the U of M and then it gets worse!
twins need to start over. they need to get rid of gardy and start anew. i think the wolves are improving every year. they were a boarderline playoff team last season and would have been had rubio not torn his acl. not sure what to say about the vikes. they let me down year after year so i don't even get my hopes up anymore. still my favorite team to watch in all of sports for whatever reason. #-o

totally unrelated but did you see the report in which they discuss the cities that spoil children the worst and those that do the least? i found it very interesting to see that both of the twin cities crack the list. however, even more odd is that minneapolis is 4th in the nation for spoiling, and st. paul is 2nd in the nation for least spoiling! what the hell happens crossing that river?

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/cities ... 00290.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:49 pm

I just think it's awfully nice of the taxpayers of Santa Clara and Minnesota to subsidize the bottom line for the billionaire owners of pro football teams in their respective geographies.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... cing-game/

This is yet another reason why I am burned out on most of pro sports -- they are so effective at leveraging the strange emotional attachment we make to pro sports franchises (I think "Subway" and "McDonald's" every time I hear them accurately call their businesses "franchises") to extract taxpayer money to fund their enormously lucrative business interests.

Green Bay does it right -- community owned team. I also respect the SF Giants and the soon-to-be SF Warriors for actually financing their own stadium/arena. But I shake my head each time a team threatens to leave someplace and then gets a huge taxpayer subsidy to stay. It's like they are a really hot chick and we are all the guy who isn't really good enough to date a hot chick, so we just buy her whatever she wants so she won't leave us (that's my Cowherd-ism of the day).

Santa Clara, in particular, is really going to get burned by putting all of this money into landing the 49ers. A football stadium is about the worst investment a city can make (because it's so rarely used and not much good for anything beyond football and soccer). Besides that, nobody is going to suddenly confuse Santa Clara with a destination of any kind -- they will still be spending all of their money in San Francisco and other local destinations when they are in town for a 49ers game. So Santa Clara taxpayers took on all of the costs, and they will only extract a sliver of the benefits (a little bit of hotel tax revenue).

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:11 pm

I agree it's really tough to invest emotionally in a team that could up and move someday. How are Seattle Supersonics fans feeling right now?

I am glad that the Vikings are staying downtown. The dome is in a great location and with their light rail-it's super easy to get to. It would have been bad if they had moved way out the Blaine, MN like they had initially proposed-30 some miles from Minneapolis. Plus, being in the downtown, the stadium will probably get used a whole lot more. The 60's and 70's concept of a stadium out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by parking lots really does suck (I don't like where Bobcat Stadium is located for that reason, but at least it is starting to build up around it).

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:15 am

TomCat88 wrote:
What is the biggest joint project between state/local gov't and big business in Montana?
My guess would be some sort of superfund site cleanup. I know that Burlington Northern has put some serious money forth to get big parcels of land cleaned up.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:How are Seattle Supersonics fans feeling right now?
Suckerpunched would be a good term. If OKC wins it all, the feeling would go from Suckerpunched to Curbstomped.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow