NFL Drafterthoughts

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: NFL Draft afterthoughts

Post by The Butcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:23 am

The University of Miami has the same number of players drafted as Weber – ONE

coppercat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coppercat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I was honestly surprised that guys were taken from Abilene Christian, St. Pauls, Stillman, Monmouth and Western Ontario before the first and only guy from MichiganState went. Abilene Christian actually had two go!?

D-Wreck

Post by D-Wreck » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:40 pm

BDizzle wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:Barden could be the steal of the draft.
Mel Kiper and those guys were not a fan of this pick. Thought it was a stretch because he didn't look very good at the Senior Bowl. Had a hard time getting off the line against jam coverage. Said he would be a decent red zone threat but nothing more.
Kiper is an idiot though.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:11 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:One of my favorite things about the NFL draft is checking in and seeing the plethora of UM players that were so over hyped all year still sitting around not drafted.

I just proves the mentality of the morons on the other board that have such an emotional tie to a college program that it blocks their common sense and talent judging abilities. (Assuming they had any in the first place)......................(and thats a stretch)

This sick bond is probably due to their lack of athletic ability and they just live through a bunch of other young men to feel good about themselves.

In any case it just gives me more ammo (not that its needed) to beat these idiots with.

I see OLB J.D. Folsom from Weber St just got picked in the 7th round by the Dolphins (They are really fish they are mammals)
I agree but i'll also say that this happens at both schools. our level of play is great to watch on saturdays, but it's amazing that people think that just because you are a stud in the big sky, that you'll be able to make an nfl squad. obviously there will be exceptions like vincent jackson, kroy bierman, and even joey thoamas who found himself starting on sundays. but for every one of those guys there are 50 more from the conference that are the iones, hilliards, and lulays. this isn't to take anything away from these guys, or to say that they didn't make the most with their talents. it's just to say that it's kind of funny every year when we think we'll have 2-3 players that will be in the nfl. and as exciting as it is that these guys even get a shot via free agency, more times then not they are on the team a month before getting cut, and then move on to canadian or arena, or simply call it a career. although some of the idiots on egriz feel that msu fans are the only ones to do this! man, if i wanted to take the time i could find probably 10 guys in the last 3 seasons that griz fans said was capable of making the nfl. alpha seems to remember this. apparently....it's just cat fans. :roll: #-o

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopi ... =6&t=37403" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:26 am

My afterthoughts on the draft:

1. As D-Wreck said Mel Kiper is an idiot and just like most of the "experts" at ESPN, he doesn't really seem to know what he is talking about or how to evaluate. Kind of like Lunardi with the Bracketology, he is wrong it seems about 75% of the time.

2. Al Davis is the anti-christ and is slowly killing me. The huge downside with that, as I die a little on the inside each year as a Raiders fan, he seems to somehow keep living longer. Ugh. Of course, any idiot would have taken an extremely fast receiver with questionable catching abilities that is projected to go late first round at #7 instead of taking the best overall receiver in the draft...I mean, you know we all would, right????

3. Why the Broncos took ANOTHER running back instead of Orakpo with their first pick in the first round is beyond me. How many running backs do they have on their roster now; 24? I was sitting at Fado's in downtown Denver having some beers with a friend (who is a big Donkies fan) before the Rockies/Dodgers game and people were not happy about them taking Moreno. He could turn out to be a good back, but since the Donkies had one of the worst defenses in the league, I might have tried to address that...just my opinion though. I think the Redskins took about 30 seconds to take Orakpo with the next pick.

4. I think Matthew Stafford is going to be a gigantic bust. Not out of any personal maliciousness or anything, I just don't think he is going to be the savior of Detroit. Hell, Jesus Christ might not even be good enough to help the Lions. (I wish this was baseball so I could toss in my favorite quote of: "You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

5. I wish they wouldn't show the guys on the phones, smiling and all that BEFORE the pick is announced. I kind of like that the draft can be a surprise and that takes away from it a little bit. Especially since it seems like there is still about five more minutes before they announce the name.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 am

Judging the quality of a college player by whether they get drafted or not is ridiculous. Chase Daniel didn't get drafted. I'm pretty certain a Heisman finalist qualifies as a pretty good player.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:54 am

GrizinWashington wrote:Judging the quality of a college player by whether they get drafted or not is ridiculous. Chase Daniel didn't get drafted. I'm pretty certain a Heisman finalist qualifies as a pretty good player.
well said. not to mention that for every top 1 or 2 pick that is a bust, there always seems to be a few of those guys who come from the 6th or 7th round, or sometimes undrafted, who make the pro-bowl and become one of the games elite. just another example of how we all think we have the answers....but we don't know crap! :wink:

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am

GrizinWashington wrote:Judging the quality of a college player by whether they get drafted or not is ridiculous. Chase Daniel didn't get drafted. I'm pretty certain a Heisman finalist qualifies as a pretty good player.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. Same thing with Graham Harrell. Maybe I'm not an "expert" but I think he's kind good. Some team is gonna get a diamond in the rough signing him to a free agent contract.

Hammer
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: NFL Drafterthoughts

Post by Hammer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:15 am

Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell didn't get drafted because they are system quarterbacks that don't adjust to the 3- 5- and 7- step drops that are required in the pros. they just sit back in the shotgun and fire to a spot or throw some ****** screen and the receiver does the rest. Ask the 49ers how Alex Smith is working out for them. He ran the spread in college. Or how bout Tommy Chang from Hawaii. He had huge numbers before Brennan. How bout Akili Smith. I could go on all day.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 am

Hammer wrote:Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell didn't get drafted because they are system quarterbacks that don't adjust to the 3- 5- and 7- step drops that are required in the pros. they just sit back in the shotgun and fire to a spot or throw some ****** screen and the receiver does the rest. Ask the 49ers how Alex Smith is working out for them. He ran the spread in college. Or how bout Tommy Chang from Hawaii. He had huge numbers before Brennan. How bout Akili Smith. I could go on all day.
Does that mean those guys are not good players?

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 am

Hammer wrote:Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell didn't get drafted because they are system quarterbacks that don't adjust to the 3- 5- and 7- step drops that are required in the pros. they just sit back in the shotgun and fire to a spot or throw some ****** screen and the receiver does the rest. Ask the 49ers how Alex Smith is working out for them. He ran the spread in college. Or how bout Tommy Chang from Hawaii. He had huge numbers before Brennan. How bout Akili Smith. I could go on all day.
good points. how about leach bitching about how graham harrell didn't get drafted despite his great numbers, and texas a&m quarterback stephen mcgee was drafted in the 4th round. Well, maybe because mcgee is more suited for the nfl, and often times took snaps under center rather than in shotgun with 5 wide receivers! eventually leach will realize that his job is to win games at the college level and his system has been doing that. And if you are going 5-wide and putting up 70 points a game that's great. but then don't start whining about your former qb's when they don't get drafted because they don't fit the nfl. can't have it both ways. if he cares so much, he'd spend more time trying to make his guys nfl ready, but unfortunately that would probably cost him some wins too. Basically, he needs to STFU!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4110528" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Leach cant help it if the NFL is fu*ked up and wouldnt know talent if it landed on their nose and wiggled.

You dont put up numbers like Harrell, Brennan or Chang and not have talent. The NFL is way to into chic.

If your not a 6'5" 230 QB (preferably black and mobile) you dont get a legitimate shot anymore.

If your a white RB with 4.2 speed forget playing RB, your a safety or your gone.

Way to much racial profiling going on in the NFL and the lack of talent is glaring.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

coppercat

Post by coppercat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Years ago when the NFL actually had fewer teams the draft had as many as 15 rounds. At that time if a player wasn't drafted it was unlikely he'd make the team. The Bobcats had players drafted in later rounds who made it. Sam McCullum went in the 9th and had a fine 8 year career with the Vikings and Seahawks. Bob Schmits went in the the 13th round and went on to star during a five year career at middle linebacker with the Seelers before finishing with the Vikings.

Hammer
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Hammer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:27 pm

[quote="GrizinWashington"][quote="Hammer"]Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell didn't get drafted because they are system quarterbacks that don't adjust to the 3- 5- and 7- step drops that are required in the pros. they just sit back in the shotgun and fire to a spot or throw some ****** screen and the receiver does the rest. Ask the 49ers how Alex Smith is working out for them. He ran the spread in college. Or how bout Tommy Chang from Hawaii. He had huge numbers before Brennan. How bout Akili Smith. I could go on all day.[/quote]

Does that mean those guys are not good players?[/quote]

Good enough for the CFL. not good enough for the NFL. Gimmicky offenses like the spread and the wild cat don't work in the NFL because there is too much speed and talent. The Dolphins can try the Wildcat with Pat White, but defenses figured that out pretty damn quick after the Patriots game last year. You have to have a quarterback who can read a defense as he goes through his cadence and who can read the defense after the ball is snapped and the play develops, and then makes the correct decision. Graham Harrell probably knew where he was going to throw the ball before he took the snap on 80% of his plays last year.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Did the Dolphins pass out of the Wildcat last season, or was it just a run-option formation? I thought bringing in White was part of their plan to make that formation/scheme more dynamic and force the defenses to worry about the pass as well as the run.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Hammer wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
Does that mean those guys are not good players?

Good enough for the CFL. not good enough for the NFL. Gimmicky offenses like the spread and the wild cat don't work in the NFL because there is too much speed and talent. The Dolphins can try the Wildcat with Pat White, but defenses figured that out pretty damn quick after the Patriots game last year. You have to have a quarterback who can read a defense as he goes through his cadence and who can read the defense after the ball is snapped and the play develops, and then makes the correct decision. Graham Harrell probably knew where he was going to throw the ball before he took the snap on 80% of his plays last year.
great points hammer. it's also the same reason that some guys are dogging tebows chances of being a quarterback at the next level. he is a great football player. and a great athlete. and i personally think he has the work ethic to fix what they say is broken, and get a shot at quarterback in the nfl. but guys like harrell, while a great player and athlete, might not be a good qb at the next level because you can't go five wide in the nfl, throw 60 passes a game, and expect to win. and the speed in the nfl is what sets these guys apart. alpha, your racial profiling comment is a joke, even for you. how many of these black, mobile quarterbacks are starters in the nfl? 2? 3? and as chic as you think the nfl is, winning is most important to EVERY coach. so, if you really believe that colt brennan is one of the best qb's in the league but he's not getting a fair shake because he's not black and mobile you're crazy. even for you. :wink:

D-Wreck

Post by D-Wreck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:56 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:If your not a 6'5" 230 QB
... with a rocket... laser arm?

Not a Colts fan, but that commercial is still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G0loI0Jn5M

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:47 am

My team took Josh Freeman way to early in the first round. #-o

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 am

If I were and owner/GM, I would look everywhere I could in order to pick an OT, DT, LB or RB before any other position.

With excellent talent at the above positions, these players make average players and other positions better.

Put Tom Brady in Detroit or Oakland, and he would have already been outta the league. That's my point.

Thus, I think Cincinnati had a pretty good draft. I also think the Vikings had one of their better drafts in memory. Just by virtue of the fact that they got pretty good talent (on paper) and filled some needs at the same time. Alot of times, that combo doesn't happen. Of course, New England and Miami, in my opinion, did well too.

Just when you think Detroit might get it, they draft Stafford, and then they don't draft one of the great linebackers or OTs in the draft with their second pick. A TE? You take a TE with a second pick? For ciminy sakes, even the best TEs in the history of the NFL have never dominated a game. Also, I don't see how you can think that suddenly a college QB who threw quite a few picks in college will suddenly flip the interception switch off in the NFL [Stafford].

I thought the Jets got a coup with Sanchez. Not because he was the #5, but because they basically traded for him with a 2nd round pick. I would have picked Sanchez in the 2nd round if he'd been there. Smart move on the Jets part I think.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.