Silent Saturday: Soccer

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Silent Saturday: Soccer

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:11 pm

Lots of parents going ballistic over this.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Silent Saturday: Soccer

Post by CatBot » Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:15 pm

Seems like a worthwhile experiment. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:34 am

Limiting ref abuse or excessive coaching by parent or coach is good. Not allowing parents to clap or cheer is not.

Sports is not bigger than life

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:45 am

tetoncat wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:34 am
Limiting ref abuse or excessive coaching by parent or coach is good. Not allowing parents to clap or cheer is not.
That's kind of where I'm at as well. Kids don't need people yelling "pass it" "run!" "shoot!" all game long....whether it's coaches or parents.

That said, I don't love limiting positive celebration after a good play.

From what I can gather, this silent soccer thing is kind of a new trend that's gathering some steam. I think the goal is for kids to play freely and be able to use their imagination and improvise without constant direction from coaches/parents. Basically, model after street games in south america.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:05 am

I can't see it having the desired effect, at least in the short run. The parents who are problematic aren't going to sit through this tournament and self-reflect, then make changes. They're going to go right outside the fence and scream louder. Or they're going to get on Facebook (already seen a lot of this) and say how stupid this is. Then the next tournament they're just going to be more belligerent. If there are more tournaments like this, I'm afraid you'll see more parents just guiding their kids away from soccer.

Listen, I think almost every problem we have in sports can be traced back to parents who don't get it. I'm a former coach and AD, and parents are the biggest nightmare to deal with, bar none. Something has to be done, but I don't think this is it. I'm all for trying it, because experimenting is better than sitting around and complaining about it.

I'm curious what the kids think about it. What do they think about the concept now, and how will they like it during and after? I will always advocate for coaches and officials, because their job is thankless. However, this strikes me as more for the coaches and refs than it is for the kids. Or it's an exercise for parents who need to get their priorities in order. I just think the parents who are going to respond well to it are the ones you don't have a problem with anyway.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:29 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:05 am
I can't see it having the desired effect, at least in the short run. The parents who are problematic aren't going to sit through this tournament and self-reflect, then make changes. They're going to go right outside the fence and scream louder. Or they're going to get on Facebook (already seen a lot of this) and say how stupid this is. Then the next tournament they're just going to be more belligerent. If there are more tournaments like this, I'm afraid you'll see more parents just guiding their kids away from soccer.

Listen, I think almost every problem we have in sports can be traced back to parents who don't get it. I'm a former coach and AD, and parents are the biggest nightmare to deal with, bar none. Something has to be done, but I don't think this is it. I'm all for trying it, because experimenting is better than sitting around and complaining about it.

I'm curious what the kids think about it. What do they think about the concept now, and how will they like it during and after? I will always advocate for coaches and officials, because their job is thankless. However, this strikes me as more for the coaches and refs than it is for the kids. Or it's an exercise for parents who need to get their priorities in order. I just think the parents who are going to respond well to it are the ones you don't have a problem with anyway.
Here's a more thorough explanation of the goals and methodology behind the idea. I'm on the fence about what I think of it, but this description makes more sense than what I had initially interpreted.

https://www.dcsoccerclub.org/resources-silent-soccer

The reason for Silent Soccer Saturday is to let the players enjoy the game of soccer and make decisions on their own. During the ‘silent’ game, coaches should only provide positive and encouraging feedback and allow players the time to work through issues on the field. Parents should support their players and teams in non-verbal ways, and not by intruding in the game.

Here is how it works: Each season, DC Soccer Club parents and other spectators are asked to cheer players in non-verbal ways (by clapping, etc.), and coaches may communicate with their teams according to specific guidelines (listed below). This applies to all DC Soccer Club Rec teams.

Give the game back to the kids. Let the kids make decisions and play without all of the extraneous verbal accompaniment that too frequently they must endure.

Here are the guidelines for coaches for Silent Soccer:

1. Before the game, explain Silent Soccer to your players. Tell them that you will talk to them at halftime; but that they should figure things out and talk to each other during the game.

2. Limit the on-field feedback to fairly quiet, positive, supportive comments only.

3. Don’t correct obvious mistakes, as the players know they have made them.

4. Limit the overall during-game feedback. Provide coaching points at the start of the game, at halftime and after the game.

NOTE: For younger teams where coaches help manage the games and officiate (Pre-K, Kinder, 1st Grade), the coaches may communicate as needed in order to manage the games. Coaches are asked to limit their verbal contributions to the bare necessities.

Here are the guidelines for spectators for Silent Soccer:

1. Before the game, let your child know that you are there to support them, but will not be providing too many comments during the game.

2. During the match, limit general audible support & feedback to non-verbal methods. Clapping is preferred, whistling is great, etc. Bring a supporting sign or poster!

3. During the match, applaud the players’ hard work and effort!

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:36 pm

I was initially like most people seem to be; a big eye roll and not liking the idea. Honestly after reading that, I’m okay with it. That is how spectators “should” behave in youth athletics. Cheer the positive, leave the coaching to the coaches, and reffing to the refs. It’s just unfortunate that it had to be enforced in a way that has now become controversial, which will create more crazy parent issues (the root cause of almost all issues in youth sports).

The longer I coached, the more I realized my job was to teach the sport and provide an environment where the kids loved the game (whichever different sport I was coaching at the time) enough to want to continue on at the next available opportunity. Unfortunately I learned those lessons later rather than sooner.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:12 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:

Some the best and most positive sporting events were just post-Covid when spectators were still not allowed in the gym. The kids could play freely, coaches could coach and refs were not subject to abuse.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:54 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:12 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Some the best and most positive sporting events were just post-Covid when spectators were still not allowed in the gym. The kids could play freely, coaches could coach and refs were not subject to abuse.
I don’t foresee this going well when it’s announced for ‘Cat/gris football. 🏈 😂

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 pm

as a former parent to young kids(they are in their 30's now) , former referee for soccer, and bball coach for AAU, I think this is a great idea. Anything to get the parents away from the kids sporting events. Parents are the worse thing to happen to organized sports. I can't tell you how many times as a coach and referee that i've had to stop games and go to the sidelines and tell parents to shut up. i've had parents run out of the stands and tell me what play to call.......

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:40 pm

hokeyfine wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:26 pm
as a former parent to young kids(they are in their 30's now) , former referee for soccer, and bball coach for AAU, I think this is a great idea. Anything to get the parents away from the kids sporting events. Parents are the worse thing to happen to organized sports. I can't tell you how many times as a coach and referee that i've had to stop games and go to the sidelines and tell parents to shut up. i've had parents run out of the stands and tell me what play to call.......
Some parents are awful like that. Not all parents.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:27 am

hokeyfine wrote:
If it wasn't for parents willing to travel with their kids and spend money there would be no AAU type ball. So while parents can be the problem, without them we are back to neighborhood leagues for kids sports. Level of play in college is so much better and a lof that is due to amount kids travel and play now.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:10 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:27 am
hokeyfine wrote:
If it wasn't for parents willing to travel with their kids and spend money there would be no AAU type ball. So while parents can be the problem, without them we are back to neighborhood leagues for kids sports. Level of play in college is so much better and a lof that is due to amount kids travel and play now.
I'll add my 2 cents here on this comment. I think you are right about this, though potentially debatable on if this has gone too far as well for kids but that is a different topic. But yes, without the parents being willing to both fund and enable kids to be on teams like this it wouldn't happen. BUT the problem is that parents need to understand that this is where their responsibility ends. Parents are responsible for the kids outside the lines, getting them there and making sure they keep up with everything they need to outside of the sport. Once they step on the court/pitch/field/whatever your turn to tell them what to do turns off for a few short hours. Unless you are gonna step up and coach or referee yourself, your sole responsibility as a parent is to support your kid in a positive manner during those hours when they are participating. Just because you paid for equipment, paid for travel and took time away for the travel does not grant you the rights to be a coach, referee or teammate (or a critic of any of the above). Sit back and enjoy watching your kid take part in the activity, trust me in the blink of an eye that time will be gone and you'll wish you'd spent a bit more time enjoying it and a bit less time complaining about the things you had no control over anyway.

And to be clear I'm not necessarily advocating for the whole Silent Saturday thing. I get what they are trying to do, namely the above that I just spelled out, but I do think it might be a bit too much. I'm not sure I like the lack of cheering or the coach not being able to coach in game but as someone else said seeing the actual policy that someone posted I don't mind the idea near as much as I did when I just heard the cliffs notes version going around in the news.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:28 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:10 pm
tetoncat wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:
I'll add my 2 cents here on this comment. I think you are right about this, though potentially debatable on if this has gone too far as well for kids but that is a different topic. But yes, without the parents being willing to both fund and enable kids to be on teams like this it wouldn't happen. BUT the problem is that parents need to understand that this is where their responsibility ends. Parents are responsible for the kids outside the lines, getting them there and making sure they keep up with everything they need to outside of the sport. Once they step on the court/pitch/field/whatever your turn to tell them what to do turns off for a few short hours. Unless you are gonna step up and coach or referee yourself, your sole responsibility as a parent is to support your kid in a positive manner during those hours when they are participating. Just because you paid for equipment, paid for travel and took time away for the travel does not grant you the rights to be a coach, referee or teammate (or a critic of any of the above). Sit back and enjoy watching your kid take part in the activity, trust me in the blink of an eye that time will be gone and you'll wish you'd spent a bit more time enjoying it and a bit less time complaining about the things you had no control over anyway.

And to be clear I'm not necessarily advocating for the whole Silent Saturday thing. I get what they are trying to do, namely the above that I just spelled out, but I do think it might be a bit too much. I'm not sure I like the lack of cheering or the coach not being able to coach in game but as someone else said seeing the actual policy that someone posted I don't mind the idea near as much as I did when I just heard the cliffs notes version going around in the news.
All fair points, I guess I just think if the group that wants silent gets that completely it will end up being a step back for clubsports. Maybe that needs to happen, but some of those same parents will then be first to complain as well.

Leagues need to control it more. No coaching makes no sense, too much coaching also makes no sense. There is enough cameras these days. If coach or parent is out of line league board can suspend or ban them. Do that enough maybe it self controls the activity.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:42 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:28 pm
kmax wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:

All fair points, I guess I just think if the group that wants silent gets that completely it will end up being a step back for clubsports. Maybe that needs to happen, but some of those same parents will then be first to complain as well.

Leagues need to control it more. No coaching makes no sense, too much coaching also makes no sense. There is enough cameras these days. If coach or parent is out of line league board can suspend or ban them. Do that enough maybe it self controls the activity.
All of that I can completely agree with and am of exactly the same mind.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:44 pm

No coaching/cheering makes no sense, and too much coaching/cheering makes no sense. But each kids development/maturity responds to different methods. And a one size fits all model doesn't make sense either. A good coach will coach different players, differently. Complete silence doesn't allow that.
I suggest that if the goal of this is to have the kids have some "free play" where they organize themselves, then drop the kids off at a park and just let them play.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:47 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:44 pm
No coaching/cheering makes no sense, and too much coaching/cheering makes no sense. But each kids development/maturity responds to different methods. And a one size fits all model doesn't make sense either. A good coach will coach different players, differently. Complete silence doesn't allow that.
I suggest that if the goal of this is to have the kids have some "free play" where they organize themselves, then drop the kids off at a park and just let them play.
Amen to that last statement! I wouldn’t take anything for what used to be a dusty vacant lot full of weeds on S. 11th near Dickerson. It wasn’t leveled and it was never irrigated or mowed. But a couple dads at some time nailed down a wooden home plate (bloody knee magnet), and set three old wood posts to make a very rough backstop of re-used planks. A whole lot of us baby-boomers learned how to play baseball there, and went on to play team or recreational sports for many years after. Quality of life isn’t always watered and mowed. We loved that place. Then somebody built a house in it.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:11 pm

kmax wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:

thats a very good 2 cents.
banning bad parents and coaches is a great idea, until those parents and coaches become board members of the clubs and organizations.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:20 pm

hokeyfine wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:11 pm
kmax wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:

thats a very good 2 cents.
banning bad parents and coaches is a great idea, until those parents and coaches become board members of the clubs and organizations.
Those terrible parents and coaches have no interest in complying. They feel entitled to act that way and feel “wronged” if asked to act differently. These leagues don’t make big money and are usually run by volunteers who don’t want to deal with each of these difficult people. That results in the one size fits all approach of punishing everyone.

This may sound harsh, but if the penalty for non-compliance results in a suspension or banning of the individual, you may get greater compliance. Bad actors should not be allowed to coach. Crappy parents should not be allowed at games.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:49 am

Does anybody know how this turned out? Any backlash?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO