Montana High School Hoops

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

Early predictions for the basketball season after seeing a few games. I'm curious to know what everybody thinks about the season. I've been able to see a few games in AA, A, and B so far.

Sounds like Hellgate is a pretty heavy favorite in AA boys. I heard they had an impressive second half against Bozeman Friday night. Anybody out there going to beat them?

I saw Helena High girls play Bozeman and made them look silly. Bozeman ain't bad (and will get better). They also smacked Senior around, who I've seen play this year. Senior isn't as good without Bad Bear, obviously, but her replacement is still one of the better post players in Montana. Very physical. So to beat them up like that is pretty impressive.

I went to the Western A tipoff in Missoula and watched Butte Central and Browning. I thought Browning would win, but their big man (can't remember his name) was in foul trouble the whole game. I thought they looked like the more impressive team, but Central won it. Hamilton looked good, but I didn't watch a whole game. Those seem like the top teams in the west to me.

Nobody looked as good as Columbia Falls on the girls' side that I saw. Frenchtown played them tough, but Finberg always has good teams and they should be contenders. I saw Havre play in the off-season and they seemed to lose quite a bit but they can still shoot, so they're always in the mix. Who else?

In Class B I'm a little biased but Bigfork should be in the mix again. I believe Anders Epperly is the smartest basketball player I've ever watched. Loyola is looking good too, so Tuesday's game at Loyola (on SWX) should be a dandy. Epperly and Logan Gilliard from Bigfork play on an AAU team with some of the Loyola boys (and a few Hellgate players), so they know each other well. Deer Lodge should be pretty good out of the West too, but only two teams from the west make it to state so somebody will get left out.

On the girls' side I only know about Florence. They got the short end of that Western B deal last year, where only two teams make it to state. They return everybody and should be fine. Deer Lodge will be good in the West too. Bigfork will get Rakiah Grende back and should be competitive, but without her they've struggled so far to a 2-2 record.

I don't know a thing about Class C. Is Arlee the team to beat on the boys' side again? I saw a little bit if Belt vs. Bigfork and Belt looks really good. Anybody else?

What players do we need to watch for? Who's worth traveling to go see?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd say Manhattan Christian is the favorite in class C on the boys side.

Most of my knowledge will be in class A. From the west I think you are spot on with Browning, Hamilton, and Butte Central being the favorites. I think Dillon and Frenchtown are maybe the next two from the West. The east is really tough again this year. Hardin and Billings Central are the favorites. Next I think is Lewistown. Then I wouldn't sleep on Laurel and/or Livingston--both are capable of giving someone a run for their money.

If I were to bet on it today...I'd guess Hardin may repeat.

kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I'd say Manhattan Christian is the favorite in class C on the boys side.

Most of my knowledge will be in class A. From the west I think you are spot on with Browning, Hamilton, and Butte Central being the favorites. I think Dillon and Frenchtown are maybe the next two from the West. The east is really tough again this year. Hardin and Billings Central are the favorites. Next I think is Lewistown. Then I wouldn't sleep on Laurel and/or Livingston--both are capable of giving someone a run for their money.

If I were to bet on it today...I'd guess Hardin may repeat.
I thought of Manhattan Christian right after I posted. I need to go watch them play.

MTCat75
New Recruit

Post by MTCat75 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Manhattan Christian has a home game coming up with Three Forks in a couple weeks. Should be a good game and about the only real test for Christian until divisional.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm

MTCat75 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Manhattan Christian has a home game coming up with Three Forks in a couple weeks. Should be a good game and about the only real test for Christian until divisional.
Game is tonight in Churchill.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm
MTCat75 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Game is tonight in Churchill.
Manhattan Christian wins 53-48 in a tough defensive battle. Three Forks was very physical and ended up having two of their best players foul out. Their big guy was in foul trouble all night. Christian's players were picking themselves off the floor all night but kept playing hard. MC lead most of the way, but lost their lead briefly in the 3rd quarter as the Wolves came out of the locker room with a big run. It was nip and tuck until the end. MC missed a boat load of free throws that could have given them some separation. I haven't seen a box score yet so I don't know Bellach's numbers, but he couldn't buy one in the second half. He even missed on a dunk attempt-but he was fouled. The game was really chippy all the way. Three Forks has a good team. MC won't be tested again until the Western C Divisional. They're really good, but not very deep. They'll probably have trouble with some of the Indian teams like they usually do. Coach Fish was there to watch his signee Caleb Bellach from MCHS.