Top 10 Quarterbacks - 2018 Recruits

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Top 10 Quarterbacks - 2018 Recruits

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Top 10

1.) Garrett Graves (Eureka) - 6'3", 190 lbs.
2.) Kaleb Winterburn (Helena High) - 6'1", 195 lbs.
3.) Aaron White (Shelby) - 6'2", 185 lbs.
4.) Taylor Morton (Kalispell Flathead) - 5'10", 185 lbs.
5.) Coby King (Dillon) - 6'0", 185 lbs.
6.) Tanner Wood (Ennis) - 6'0", 180 lbs.
7.) Scott Twite (Missoula Loyola) - 5'11", 170 lbs.
8.) Garrison Rothwell (CMR) - 6'4", 205 lbs.
9.) Kevin Boes (Great Falls) - 6'4", 190 lbs.
10.) Jeremiah Paine (Westby/Grenora) - 6'1", 175 lbs.

Missed the cut (no order): Augie Emslie (Bigfork), Tylan Croy (Huntley Project), Caleb Knoche (Forsyth), Colton Grange (Drummond/Philipsburg), Jake Dyk (Manhattan), Gabe Gundlach (Miles City)

Notes: I did not put Nolan Askelson (Billings Senior), Levi Janacaro (Missoula Big Sky), or Austin Green (Columbia Falls) into the QB equation as I viewed them more as running backs.

1.) Garrett's QB film was good enough his senior season to evaluate him as a QB for me and I believe he is the best one. Garrett's leadership and tenacity are off the charts.

2.) Kaleb was a great athlete and competitor at the position his senior season and had no problem trying to fit a tough pass into a tight spot. He was also effective with his legs for the runner-up Bengals.

3.) Aaron has the best arm talent and mechanics in this class. He can hit throws at all three levels of a defense. However, Aaron was required to throw the football a lot his senior season and it led to plenty of bad interceptions. But he played injured all year and still led his team through a tough playoff bracket to a runner-up finish in Class B.

4.) Taylor had a solid senior season (his only one as a starter) for the Braves as they earned a Top 4 seed in AA. He has good mechanics and excels with play-action. He is a borderline frontier QB.

5., 6., 7., & 8.) Coby, Tanner, Scott, and Garrison are examples of great athletes who also play QB. Coby was one of the best players in Class A in 2017 and was the MVP of his team (Dillon). When he was taken out of the Sidney game in the playoffs this past fall, Dillon had no answer for the Eagles. Tanner was a handful during his two years starting for the Ennis Mustangs. If you had to compare Tanner's playing style to an animal, it would have to be a wolverine. One of the biggest hitters in the state on defense. Scott steadily improved for the Loyola Rams and led them to a semifinal appearance in the Class B playoffs. Garrison excelled more on the ground than through the air in my opinion. CMR had another down year but Garrison was a nice surprise as he had an All-State season and it got him a Shrine Game selection for the East squad.

9.) At one point, Kevin Boes was my favorite QB recruit in this recruiting class. But a lackluster offensive line and overall offensive output led him to getting benched for QB/WR Blake Thelen during his senior year. I still think Kevin has enough ability to become a productive QB, at least at the Frontier level. Kevin actually earned All-State honors at safety and got a Shrine Game selection at the position.

10.) Jeremiah Paine was the star QB of the Class C 6-Man champion Westby/Grenora Thunder. He nearly threw 10 touchdowns in one game his senior season (I know its 6-man but still impressive). There are definitely some tools to work with when it comes to Paine playing QB.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."