2017 Badlands Bowl Roster Breakdown

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2017 Badlands Bowl Roster Breakdown

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Here are my thoughts on the offensive side of the roster:

QB

Selections: Nate Dick (Billings Senior) and Callahan O'Reilly (Bozeman)

Chris Murdock, the Head Coach at Billings Senior, will coach the Montana squad in 2017 and will want to run his up-tempo offense so there was no doubt who he would pick to operate it. Nate Dick was the 2016 Montana Gatorade Football Player of the Year and he earned it by being the most dangerous dual-threat player in the state. Callahan O'Reilly is no slouch himself and put up very good numbers in AA in 2016. O'Reilly is 6'3", 205 lbs. and Nate is 5'10", 185 lbs. so in size these are two different QBs but both are good threats through the air and on the ground. Murdock could've went multiple ways with who he would bring in to pair with Nate (who was always going to be the QB1 of this group). But to truly maximize the roster, he loaded up the safety position with kids who also starred at QB (Troy Andersen, Tadan Gilman, and Tanner Wilson). Nate and Callahan will have a good offensive line in front of them and plenty of weapons at WR so they should be productive.

Alternates: Dakota Bridwell (Columbia Falls), Kellen Round (Missoula Loyola), Bryson Deming (Billings West), and Casey Cole (Laurel)

Bridwell was statistically the best QB in the state last year in terms of passing yards and touchdowns. He operated a Columbia Falls offense that threw the ball at will. He is a fit in Murdock’s system so choosing him as an alternate was smart. Casey Cole was one of the best playmakers in the state prior to him breaking his ankle and missing the rest of his senior season only two games in. He is also the most versatile player of these alternates as he can play WR, RB, LB, CB, or S. Deming did not get much love from the all-star game circuit as he was only chosen as an alternate for both the Badlands Bowl and Shrine Game (with the latter being completely ridiculous). Deming did not put up the stats in comparison to most of the QBs on this list but Bryson is just an overall good athlete that you could plug in at WR, TE, DE, LB and he would make an immediate impact. Kellen Round is a solid alternate at QB. However, there are two kids who deserved to be on this QB list and those two are Luke Gonsioroski (Baker) and Braden Larsen (Whitehall). I understand you can’t have everybody listed but give these two kids a good offensive line with some weapons and watch the chains move. Both will be starting in the Shrine Game (at safety) and possibly in the Class B All-Star game (unless they decline).

RB

Selections: Ryan Arntson (Helena High) and RJ Fitzgerald (Dillon)

Arntson was in the conversation for Montana Gatorade Football Player of the Year in 2016 after his outstanding senior campaign where he totaled 24 total touchdowns (22 rushing/2 receiving). Murdock likes RBs who can do a bit of everything so Arntson is a great fit. The other back is RJ Fitzgerald from Dillon. RJ is more of a FB (the position he got recruited to play at MSU) but is used to operating out of the shotgun. In my opinion, Murdock picked arguably the two most physical backs in the state in 2016. However, I’m curious as to why he didn’t go with one more back for depth.

Alternates: Matt Farrier (Bigfork), Jake Knack (Ennis), Trevor Paro (Hot Springs), Jase Stokes (Havre), Hayden VanWinkle (Belgrade), and Cannan Smith (Eureka)

This is my best guess for who the alternates are for the RB group. All of these kids played both ways in high school so they could also be alternates on defense. I’m pretty sure Matt Farrier is a pure RB alternate as he was All-State at the position in Class B. Knack could double as a LB alternate but he is a fit in Murdock’s offense (similar playing style to Nolan Askelson who started at RB for Billings Senior his junior season in 2016). Trevor is very versatile and may be viewed as a WR alternate but he could line up in the backfield and take some carries. Jase is more in the mold of RJ Fitzgerald as he is a little slow but very physical & downhill. Cannan Smith is a bit undersized but it doesn’t take away from his physicality. Cannan was a major piece of Eureka’s run to the Class B title in 2016 and he is a tenacious football player. Hayden is the one kid that I think has all the right traits to be a selection in this game at RB. He is a good fit for Murdoch’s offense and I believe he is one of the more underrated prospects out of Montana this last year. Hayden could also be a LB alternate. I understand that Murdoch wants speed but I was very surprised to not see Drew Keierleber of Billings Skyview as an alternate on this list.

WR

Selections: Lance McCutcheon (Bozeman), Mitch Roberts (Missoula Sentinel), Derrick Olsen (Helena High), Matthew Rensvold (Polson), Braxton Reiten (Columbia Falls), and Chandler Allen (Fairfield)

This is a great group of receivers, plain and simple. McCutcheon and Olsen were both AA 1st Team All-State at the position and both will primarily play on the outside. Rensvold and Allen both were 1st Team All-Staters in Class A & B, respectively. They both were used in a variety of ways in high school as they lined up in the backfield, on the outside, or in-line as a blocker (tight end). Rensvold is a little bigger than Allen but both can go up and get the ball while bringing some good physicality to the WR position. Braxton is your classic slot receiver who can take sweeps from the backfield or dominate the middle of the field on drag routes. Statistically, Braxton led Montana in receiving yards and touchdowns so he can be very productive in the right scheme. Mitch can play anywhere as he is the only player in this group playing a position he didn’t play his senior year. Mitch was the star quarterback for Missoula Sentinel but will be making the transition to WR, which is the same position he will start off at for the Grizzlies this fall. Mitch is one of the best athletes in the state and should transition smoothly to the position.

Alternates: Tyler Burk (Miles City), Peyton Hanser (Billings Central), Trevor Paro (Hot Springs), Bryson Deming (Billings West), Chaz Maddock (Billings West), Casey Cole (Laurel), Kiley Caprara (Butte), Nick Wakai (Missoula Big Sky), and Andrew Simon (Whitehall)

I listed a few guys from the alternate list that may not be a backup at the WR position but easily could be. To start off, Brayden Deming was a 1st Team AA All-State TE/WR for Billings West in 2016 but must have declined the invitation for some reason...because there is no way he was just left off the list otherwise. Tyler Burk is definitely an alternate for the WR position and he was right up there with Reiten in terms of offensive production in the fall of 2016. Tyler caught five touchdowns in one game last year for Miles City. He will likely be an outside receiver if called upon but can play the slot. Kiley Caprara and Nick Wakai are two AA receivers who have been quietly very good football players over the past two seasons. They both fit the slot receiver role in Murdock’s offense but Caprara has plenty of experience on the outside despite his slight frame. Andrew Simon of Whitehall and Peyton Hanser of Billings Central may be OLB alternates but both could easily be WR alternates as well. Andrew was a very productive WR over the past two years in the high-flying Whitehall Trojan offense while Peyton primarily played the role of blocker in the run-heavy Billings Central offense. Andrew compares to Matt Rensvold or Chandler Allen in terms of playing style. Bryson Deming, Casey Cole and Chaz Maddock could all three be alternates at different positions but all three could also play WR. Bryson may be lining up at WR this fall for the Grizzlies despite playing QB the past few years for Billings West. One of his favorite targets was Chaz Maddock, who also played CB in high school. Casey could be an alternate at about five positions so I will just list him at each one. Finally, Trevor Paro could fit a slot role as he compares to a player like Braxton Reiten in playing style and stature. Here is a list of kids that I felt deserved a spot on this roster as an alternate or selection at WR: Nate McGree (Butte Central), Cantor Coverdell (Fairfield), Cole McCloud (Manhattan), and Trey Mounts (Belgrade).

OT

Selections: Luke Poetzl (Billings Senior) and Daniel Stockton (Helena High)

The four best offensive tackles that played their senior years in 2016 were Luke Poetzl, Jaxen Hashley (Kalispell Glacier), Daniel Stockton, and Jaylen Taggart (Hamilton). Hashley and Taggart will both be lining up on the defensive side of the ball for the Montana roster so Murdock picked his LT in Poetzl and one of the more consistent offensive tackles in AA in Daniel Stockton. Both have good feet that throw in a good mix of athleticism and nastiness. If I had to pick a team, playing Luke at LT and Daniel at RT would be a perfect pair so Montana is in good hands with these two at the two tackle spots.

Alternates: Owen Davis (Eureka) and Cullen Roll (Billings Senior)

I think Poetzl, Hashley, and Taggart were easily the top three offensive tackles in Montana in 2016. The next tier included kids like Stockton, Morgan Hostetler (Bozeman), Bridger Lohman (Bozeman), and Cullen Roll (Billings Senior). Roll got chosen as an alternate after being AA All-State at RT for the Broncs. I don’t see a lot of separation between Roll, Hostetler, or Lohman so I like Roll as the primary backup for either OT spot. I listed Owen Davis because he played OT for Eureka though he is definitely more of a guard against better competition. The one kid who likely would’ve been on the selection list, or at least a shoe-in alternate, was Columbia Falls product Zach Baker if he wasn’t injured his senior season. Going into his final season last fall, Zach was a returning 1st-Team All-State OT for the Wildcats but an injury kept him off the field for his entire senior season. He ended up signing with UM-Western but he definitely has the build and skill set of a college offensive tackle (6’5”, 275 lbs.). Will be fun to see if he develops for the Bulldogs and becomes a multi-year starter down the road.

OG

Selections: Bo Hann (Missoula Big Sky), Justin Pfeifer (Cut Bank), and Todd Nordahl (Dillon)

This group is highlighted by Hann who I thought was the best OG in Montana in 2016. Like Hann, Pfeifer is an outstanding wrestler and weightlifter so he should be a rock in the middle. Nordahl played center and MLB for state champion Dillon but will slide over to guard for the Badlands Bowl. All three kids are short and stocky (typical guard) standing at about 6’0” and around 250-270 lbs. Hann was 1st Team AA All-State at OG while Nordahl and Pfeifer were All-State at the Class A and B level, respectively.

Alternates: Owen Davis (Eureka)

The coaches obviously wanted some size up the middle and these three provide the most on average. The one player who really got the cold shoulder from the Badlands Bowl and Shrine Game selections was Dawsen Berg, the 6’5”, 290 lb. OL/DL from Billings Skyview. I also thought Sam Butcher, the 6’0”, 230 lb. OL/DL from Lewistown was worthy of an alternate selection. I felt these two should’ve been an alternate over Davis based on overall talent. Anyway, there were several more athletic, lighter options the coaches could’ve went with at OG. Class C kids like Glen Ferguson (Cascade), Garrett Fritz (Power-Dutton-Brady), and Robb Braden (Wibaux) are all in that 6’2”-6’3”, 220-230 lb. range. They are definitely undersized going up against what North Dakota throws out there but all three are gritty, tough kids. A few other kids from the AA-B ranks are Garret Leland (Sidney), Emmitt Bartsch (Billings Senior), Zak Karlin (Columbia Falls), Garret Hunt (Corvallis), and O’Shon Old Mouse (Colstrip). Regardless, from a pure size standpoint, this is the right group at OG.

OC

Selections: Blade Miller (Billings West) and Kellen Bemis (Kalispell Glacier)

This analysis will be quick. These two are the best centers in the state and hopefully were easy selections for the coaching staff. They play the position with great leverage, smarts, and technique. Both were 1st Team AA All-State at center their senior seasons and both are very deserving to play in this game.

Alternates: Riley Conley (Miles City)

Riley Conley only really has the size to be a backup at the center position, which is where he was All-State at in high school. Also, Todd Nordahl was an All-State center for Dillon last fall so he can slide in from his guard spot if necessary. Other players who could’ve been selected as an alternate at center were Dawsen Berg (Billings Skyview), Noah Casares (Billings Senior), and Zak Ray (Great Falls High).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2017 Badlands Bowl Roster Breakdown

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Here are my thoughts on the defensive side of the roster:

DL

Selections: Jaxen Hashley (Kalispell Glacier), Brentley Steinbeisser (Sidney), Ty Morgan (Ennis), Joe Fehr (Eureka), Hayden Hegg (Senior), and Jaylen Taggart (Hamilton)

The coaches went the athletic/versatile route on the defensive line as these six were all first-team all-state on the defensive line. The largest of the group is Jaxen Hashley (6’6”, 260 lbs.) while Joe Fehr is the smallest (6’3”, 210 lbs.). Starting with Jaxen Hashley, he has the ability to play inside or outside on the defensive line but I’m assuming the coaches want him to wreak havoc on the interior for this game. The two kids who primarily played DT their senior years in high school are Brenley Steinbeisser and Hayden Hegg. Both are about 6’1”, 225-235 lbs. and both play the game similarly. They aren’t the best pass rushers or athltes but they usually are in the right spot, play the run well, and have high motors. Basically, they are very dependable defensive lineman and earned their spots on this roster because of that dependability. Jaylen Taggart is built more like Jaxen but is about 30 lbs. lighter. Jaylen is around 6’4”, 230 lbs. and primarily played DE for Hamilton his senior season but is another candidate to play on the inside. The same can be said for Ennis star Ty Morgan. Ty is about 6’5”, 225 lbs. with long arms and a high motor. He and Jaylen could play anywhere on the defensive line. The final kid is Joe Fehr who was a menacing pass-rusher for Class B champ Eureka in 2016. Joe is another long-armed kid who can really get around the edge in a hurry. Overall, these six kids could play anywhere on this defensive line depending on the situation. Joe is likely the only kid who will primarily play DE. The big advantage here is if the coaches want to mix and match lineups between run-stuffing and pass-rushing units, they have that versatility with these six kids.

Alternates: Cade Wessel (Bozeman) and Brian LaFond (Butte)

Cade and Brian could both be alternates at OLB as well. Both are DE/OLB-type players with Brian being a better defensive line option while Cade being a better stand-up OLB. Like I said above, the coaches went with the most athletic and versatile lineup they could get. However, if they need to beef up the interior of the defensive line against a larger North Dakota rushing attack (happens every year), they have solid options from their offensive line group in Blade Miller, Kellen Bemis, and/or Justin Pfeifer. Daniel Stockton also played both ways in high school and could provide even more depth at the DT position. However, I’m still surprised at least one of these DT’s from the high school ranks didn’t show up as an alternate: Daniel Mousso (Hamilton), Dawsen Berg (Billings Skyview), Austin Kirchner (CMR), Matt Bourgeau (Great Falls High), Colten Bonney (Columbia Falls), or Sam Butcher (Lewistown). More versatile athletes who could’ve been selected as alternates for this defensive line (specifically DE) are: McKenzie Holt (Thompson Falls), Connor Rauckhorst (Missoula Sentinel), Ethan Jones (Missoula Sentinel), or Brett Delp (Circle). Finally, a few kids who are similar to Hegg and Steinbeisser who could’ve been alternates are: Eric James (Dillon), Reece Hutton (Harlem), or Emmit Bartsch (Billings Senior). Overall, I felt the coaches selected the best group of kids for the defensive line as I don’t really see any of these alternates being better players than any of the six kids listed as selections.

LB

Selections: Marcus Welnel (Helena Capital), Patrick O’Connell (Kalispell Glacier), Trevor Hoerner (Columbia Falls), and Benji Phillips (Glasgow)

The selections will be without the services of Braydon Deming (Billings West) who decided to decline his invites to the Badlands Bowl and Shrine Game to instead join the Grizzly program early for summer workouts along his brother Bryson. However, this is still an outstanding group. Marcus Welnel (First-Team AA All-State at OLB) was one of my favorite defensive players in the state last fall. He has good size at about 6’1”, 220 lbs. and he players with great technique as an outside linebacker. He also comes from a program that produces very sound defensive football players so the coaches will not be afraid to give Marcus extra responsibilities. He is joined by fellow Griz verbal in Columbia Falls native Trevor Hoerner. Trevor is a big, strong kid (6’4”, 225 lbs.) who will start off at DE for UM in the fall. He excelled at MLB for the Wildcats the past few years (All-State at WR/MLB in 2016) and will likely step into that role for this game as well. Trevor plays the run and pass very well and really improved in pass coverage his senior season. He will likely be joined in the middle by Kalispell Glacier MLB Patrick O’Connell. Pat was the Western AA Defensive Player of the Year while also standing out at TE for the Wolfpack. Kendall Johnson was one of the most feared hitters in AA his senior season but he declined his invite to the Badlands Bowl. Kendall will be joining the Naval Academy so I’m assuming that has something to do with him choosing not to play. His replacement will be Glasgow’s Benji Phillips. Benji is the smallest of the group at about 6’0”, 200 lbs. but he is a great blitzer and packs a punch when he hits. If you need evidence, go to 1:06 and 1:20 in this highlight video against Malta his senior season: He will likely lineup on the outside.

Alternates: Travis Catina (Whitefish), Andrew Simon (Whitehall), Cade Wessel (Bozeman), Jake Knack (Ennis), Peyton Hanser (Billings Central), Jase Stokes (Havre), Max Clarke (Billings Senior), or Casey Cole (Laurel)

One of the kids I felt was unfairly left off the list on the defensive side of the ball was Billings Skyview’s Ryan Davis. Ryan was a First-Team AA All-State performer at MLB and it wouldn’t surprise me that he is going the Deming twins’ route of joining his college football team early for summer workouts. Ryan is too talented to be left off this roster, especially knowing the size of the offensive line Montana will be going up against in this game. To me, Ryan is better at LB than both O’Connell and Kendall Johnson who were both First-Team AA All-State performers at MLB along with Davis. Anyway, back to the actual alternate list. Catina and Jase Stokes are two alternates who fill in at MLB if called upon for this game. That was their primary position on the defensive side of the ball in high school and both were Class A All-State performers at the position. Andrew Simon could also fill-in at MLB but I see him more as an OLB. I listed a few other kids from the alternate list who could fill-in at OLB along with other positions on the roster. Cade Wessel played DE and OLB for the Bozeman Hawks his final few years in high school and was an All-State performer. Peyton Hanser was an All-State selection primarily for his prowess on defense for Billings Central at OLB and he is probably the top alternate on the roster. Jake Knack is likely an alternate at RB but is a dependable OLB as well. Again, Casey Cole is the swiss army knife of the alternates for this game as I could see him line up at OLB (among other positions). Max Clarke rounds out the potential alternates who could play OLB. Max was an All-State safety for Billings Senior in 2016. There is a laundry list of linebackers who could’ve been selected as alternates for this game at the linebacker position. At MLB (other than Ryan Davis), here are some names that could’ve fit: Hunter Mycke (Conrad), Angus Lund (Baker), Wesley Harshbarger (Twin Bridges), Peter Hamilton (Cut Bank), Noah Smelser (Billings Central), Jonah Burke (Polson), Will Blewett (Belgrade), Jaren Maki (Belt), and Luke Almos (Great Falls High). At OLB, here are some more kids who could’ve been chosen as alternates: Zane Jarecke (Laurel), Hunter Weil (Billings West), Kasey Mock (Ronan), or Colt Neville (Victor).

CB

Selections: Jake Orvis (Billings Senior), Dawson McGlothlin (Sidney), and Michael McGinnis (Sidney)

Jake Orvis, a two time First-Team AA All-State CB from Billings Senior, will line up on the outside against North Dakota’s best at receiver. Jake has excellent cover skills and was one of the more natural cornerbacks in the state in 2016. Griz verbal Michael McGinnis will switch from safety to corner for this game. The two kids who could’ve made the easiest transition between corner and safety for this game were Keaton Anderson and Michael McGinnis so kudos to the coaches for using one of them at CB. Michael is a bigger corner at 6’3”, 190 lbs. and is an excellent athlete. He showed well in both pass coverage and run support. The final cornerback selection is another Sidney Eagle, Dawson McGlothlin. Dawson was one of the more underrated players in the state in 2016. He was the starting QB and CB for the 2016 Eastern A champs and he made a ton of plays throughout the year. As a CB, Dawson excels the most in run support as he is a physical defensive back so he should have a busy day against North Dakota’s rushing attack.

Alternates: Trace Jones (Sidney), Nick Wakai (Missoula Big Sky), Chaz Maddock (Billings West), or Casey Cole (Laurel)

Trace Jones is yet another Sidney Eagle in the secondary for this game, but he is only an alternate. Trace earned Class A All-State honors at CB in 2016. Nick Wakai of Missoula Big Sky played mostly safety in high school and was HM All-State at safety in 2016 but he could easily line up at corner if needed. Chaz Maddock was a Second-Team AA All-State at both WR and CB in 2016 so he will be listed as an alternate at both. Casey Cole will once again get listed as a potential alternate because he can play about anywhere. There is one kid who had a legitimate argument for not only being left off the selection list, but also the alternate list. Sean Miller, a two-time Class A All-State CB from Columbia Falls, was one of the top CB’s in the state in 2015 & 2016 and I felt he should’ve been selected. The kid went toe to toe with Whitefish’s Jed Nagler in 2015, who was arguably the best athlete in the state in 2015. In 2016, Miller dominated his side of the field. The fact that Sidney Head Coach Roger Merritt is an assistant for this game and not Columbia Falls Head Coach Jaxson Schweikert (the team that was Class A Runner-Up in 2016) may have played a role in the coaches selecting one kid over the other in this situation. Now I do think Dawson McGlothlin deserves to be in this game, especially because he is really good in run support which will be needed against North Dakota, but Sean should’ve been the selected as well. At the very least, I think Sean should’ve been an alternate over Trace Jones (no offense to Trace). Anyway, here are a few other kids who could’ve been chosen as alternates at CB: Trey Mounts (Belgrade), Kody Torgerson (Great Falls High), Bryce Gallagher (Butte), Keair Adgerson (Helena High), Sam Johnston (Butte Central), Chanc Lawrence (Laurel), Cadis Chowning (Polson), Tyler Cote (Whitefish), or Harry Green (Belt).

S

Selections: Keaton Anderson (Billings Senior), Troy Andersen (Dillon), Tadan Gilman (Kalispell Glacier), and Tanner Wilson (Polson)

The safety group is in excellent hands with these four. All four were Top 10 football players for my final 2017 Montana Recruiting Class ranking and they are all easy selections. The group is led by Class AA Defensive Player of the Year Keaton Anderson. He is one of the best free safeties to come out of the state in some time, mostly due to his prowess in pass coverage. Here is a quote from a Slim Kimmel (Montana Sports) article given by Billings Senior Coach Chris Murdock in regards to Keaton: “I made some bad calls, but having a guy like Keaton Anderson, when you have safeties that can cover (the) field, they have a tendency to make plays that wouldn’t typically be made, so they’ll mask a bad call. It’ll be nice to have kids that aren’t only super athletic, but super smart and can correct those mistakes.” One trait that consistently stood out on Keaton’s film was how he never looked out of position on the field. If a play broke, he always took the right angle to make sure it didn’t go for a touchdown. The next kid is Tadan Gilman who didn’t play defense in 2016 because Glacier wanted him to only focus on playing QB last fall. The move worked for the most part because the Wolfpack made the Class AA title game but it definitely hurt them on defense not having Tadan out there. If you ask several AA coaches, many considered him the best overall football player in the state in 2016. Not the best overall athlete but overall football player. As a defensive player his sophomore and junior seasons, he lined up everywhere and was a nightmare for opposing coaching staffs. It wouldn’t surprise me if Tadan stayed on the field, playing multiple positions in this game. Troy Andersen will get to line up at safety for this game as well. Troy was arguably the best overall athlete in the state his senior season. I mean this is a kid who is 6’3”, 215 lbs. who can run a 10.8 100M dash and long jump about 22 feet. And if you think he is just a track athlete, turn on his football and basketball highlight tape for a few minutes. Like Tadan, Troy will start off his MSU football career at OLB and Coach Murdock is well aware of their ability to play linebacker but still having the ability to play man. The final safety selected hails from Polson, Montana. Tanner Wilson, who presumably will start his UM football career off at QB, will get to line up at safety for the Montana squad and I absolutely endorse the decision. Tanner was #1 on my “biggest hitter” list (a list that doesn’t really exist but you get the point) as he lays the wood from the strong safety position. Tanner was easily the second best overall player in Class A last year behind Troy Andersen as he had multiple five touchdown games in 2016. Tanner’s playing style is similar to Tadan Gilman but Wilson would be best used solely at strong safety. Coach Murdock has so many options with these four players. If needed, Montana could move Gilman and Andersen down to OLB and keep Keaton and Tanner at safety for periods of time during this game. In my opinion, this is the best collection of safeties the Montana roster has had in about 10 years and I know it’s been a while since the Montana roster included five division one (FCS) athletes all in the secondary. Sidney’s Michael McGinnis will play CB in this game but he was the second best free safety in the state in 2016 in my opinion.

Alternates: Nick Wakai (Missoula Big Sky), Casey Cole (Laurel), Peyton Hanser (Billings Central), Max Clarke (Billings Senior), and Kellen Round (Missoula Loyola)

All five of these players have already been listed as alternates at other positions but every one of them either played safety or can play safety. Nick is built more like a corner but he was an All-State performer at safety. One more time, Casey Cole can play anywhere though strong safety might be his best position. Peyton Hanser played mostly OLB and WR for Billings Central but he could easily fill-in at safety if needed. Max Clarke started at strong safety for his final two years at Billings Senior alongside Keaton Anderson. Kellen Round started at QB and S for the 2016 Class B Runner-Up Missoula Loyola Rams. One kid who was surprisingly left off the roster was Baker’s Luke Gonsioroski. Not only was he a really good QB, but also a standout safety with good speed and awareness. But as the story goes, kids get left off this roster every year for one reason or another. Anyway, here are other kids who could’ve been alternates at the safety position: Nate McGree (Butte Central), Braden Larsen (Whitehall), Colin Sassano (Helena Capital), Jemal Williams (Belgrade), Tanner Reynolds (Fairview), Austyn Sherwood (Eureka), Luke Batson (Fairfield), or Sam Barber (Kalispell Glacier).

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2017 Badlands Bowl Roster Breakdown

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Good breakdown Vim! Always cool to see a mini write-up on some of the local kids and learn about some kids that we've never heard of (or at least, I've never heard of) Sounds like we have a pretty damn good team this year! I can't wait to watch them beat the NoDak's!