2016 Class B Playoffs (First Round)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2016 Class B Playoffs (First Round)

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:09 am

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... cket-B.pdf

Top-side of Bracket

Baker (6-2) at Missoula Loyola (8-0) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Baker Key Players: QB/S Luke Gonsioroski, RB/LB Angus Lund, WR/DB Cleet Wrzeskinski, OL/DE Josh Stutts, ATH Kadon Gentilini, RB/OLB Dalton Herbst

Missoula Loyola Key Players: QB/S Kellen Round, OT/DT Joseph McElroy, WR/DB David Koppang, ATH Jacob Byrne, WR/DB Caden Sant, RB/LB Brady Needles

The winner of this one plays the winner of Colstrip/Glasgow. Baker comes in as the South Wildcard after finishing 3rd in the hyper-competitive 3B conference. This game will also be the longest road trip for any road team in the playoffs at any class at 567 miles. Missoula Loyola comes in as possibly the best team in Class B after rolling through the 6B conference and the overall regular season. Missoula Loyola's average margin of victory during the regular season was 48-2 as they only allowed 18 total points all season. However, Baker played a much tougher schedule than Loyola as the Rams toughest opponents were Townsend, Deer Lodge, and Ronan while the Spartans were Huntley Project, Colstrip, and Glasgow. You could also throw in Forsyth and Shepherd, two 3B teams who didn't make the playoffs, as tough opponents as those two teams could play with anybody in Class B. Baker relies heavily on its trio of QB Luke Gonsioroski, RB Angus Lund, and WR Cleet Wrzeskinski. They have some other good role players but those three make the Spartans go. For Missoula Loyola, they are led by QB Kellen Round and a deep stable of running backs who can also split out and play receiver. I believe Loyola has the superior offensive line led by one of the best juniors in Montana in offensive tackle Joseph McElroy. I would expect several college scouts at this game. The Rams may have been the best team during the regular season but they arguably got the toughest matchup in the Class B playoffs by drawing Baker in the first round. Baker's only two losses on the year were one point losses to Huntley Project and Colstrip. The Spartans will give the Rams everything they can handle but I think Loyola's depth proves too good in this one. Prediction: Missoula Loyola wins 36-28.

Colstrip (8-1) at Glasgow (6-2) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Colstrip Key Players: RB/DB Ben Galloway, QB Joel McRae, TE/DE Merlin Whitedirt, OL/DT O'Shon Old Mouse, WR/DB Clayton Currier, RB/LB Brady Hanson

Glasgow Key Players: RB/LB Benji Phillips, QB Darrin Wersal, WR/DB Cade Myrick, OL/OLB Cache Younkin, OL/DT Grant Morken, TE/LB Luke Breigenzer

The winner of this one plays the winner of Baker/Missoula Loyola. Colstrip comes in as the #2 seed from the 3B while Glasgow comes in as the #1 seed from the 2B. Colstrip and Glasgow played each other in their first games of the season and Colstrip came away with a 12-7 win. Colstrip comes in with a fairly impressive resume as their only loss was a 26-18 decision to Huntley Project in a game where the Colts committed seven turnovers. Though Glasgow played in a weak 2B conference (Malta was the only other competitive team), they played a tough non-conference schedule with games against Colstrip, Glendive, Baker, and Big Timber. The Scotties went 2-2 in those games with wins over Glendive and Big Timber and losses to Colstrip and Baker. Colstrip has the better offensive and defensive lines but a tough running back in Ben Galloway. Glasgow has one of the best running backs in the state in Benji Phillips (also a very good linebacker), a good QB in Darrin Wersal, and a decent WR in Cade Myrick. Both teams play very hard and I expect this one to come down to the wire. Prediction: Colstrip wins 19-14.

Roundup (4-4) at Manhattan (6-2) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Roundup Key Players: RB/DB Tristen Salthe, RB/LB Brayden Crowley, FB/LB Mike Browning, TE/DE Kelson Eiselein, OG/DT Curtis Harper, QB Brody Grebe

Manhattan Key Players: WR/FS Cole McCloud, QB/LB Kobe Grossman, RB/DB Tracer Stone, OL/DL Kellan Stevenson, WR/DB Michael Nehring, WR/LB Trevor Wilhelm

Winner of this one plays the winner of Bigfork/Fairfield. Roundup comes in as the #2 seed from the 4B while Manhattan comes in as the #1 seed from the 5B. Roundup is a ground-and-pound offense as they run a version of the Wing-T with tight splits from their offensive line and pre-snap motion from a running back on either side of the line. Manhattan is more of a balanced offense that sometimes favors the pass more than the run. The Tigers have a really good wide receiver in Cole McCloud and a tough QB in Kobe Grossman. Roundup likes to control the clock running the ball with QB Brody Grebe giving the ball to backs Bradyen Crowley, Tristen Salthe, and Mike Browning the entire game. Manhattan has one bad loss (Anaconda) and one big win (Whitehall) with the latter basically winning them the 5B championship despite losing last week to Jefferson. Manhattan is a little banged up on the injury front but has more talent on offense. However, if Roundup can get up in this game and get a few stops on defense, Manhattan could be in trouble because Roundup leans on you in the second half with the run game if they have a lead. I still think Manhattan is too explosive and will get a few turnovers that change this game and make Roundup throw the ball. Prediction: Manhattan wins 27-15.

Bigfork (7-1) at Fairfield (7-1) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Bigfork Key Players: RB/LB Matthew Farrier, FB/LB Logan Taylor, QB Augie Emslie (injured), WR Anders Epperly, OL/DL Trey McManaway, WR Austin Varner

Fairfield Key Players: TE/DE Chandler Allen, WR/LB Cantor Coverdell, QB/DB Luke Batson, WR/FS Ryder Meyer, WR/DB Dawson Allen, RB/LB Griffen Lee

Winner of this one plays the winner of Roundup/Manhattan. Bigfork comes in as the #2 seed from the 7B while Fairfield comes in as the #1 seed from the 1B. Fairfield brings a 20 game winning streak into this game dating back to the beginning of last season. They have a few key veterans from last year's state championship squad in Chandler Allen and Cantor Coverdell (both of whom are being recruited by Montana State and/or Montana along with the in-state NAIA schools) and a tough QB in Luke Batson. Batson took over signal-caller duties for Tanner Mayer, who graduated last year, and turned in one of the more clutch seasons in Class B. His best game came against Shelby as he scored long touchdowns with his legs to win that game along with the 1B conference. Ryder Meyer and Dawson Allen are two talented sophomores for the Eagles that have made game changing plays on offense and defense all year. For Bigfork, they are led by one of the best running back duos in the state in Matthew Farrier and Logan Taylor. They also have a talented receiver in Anders Epperly but they lost starting QB Augie Emslie to injury in the conference championship game against Eureka. Fairfield has not been as dominant this year and it is no secret they don't have the offensive or defensive lines of years past. However, Les Meyer always has the Eagles ready to play and you don't win 20 straight games by accident. They make you pay for mistakes. Bigfork can stay competitive in this one because of their running game but can they hang with Fairfield's athletes for an entire game? Good luck. Prediction: Fairfield wins 35-16.

Bottom-side of Bracket

Shelby (6-2) at Huntley Project (8-0) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Shelby Key Players: QB Aaron White, WR Andrew Johnson, RB/OLB Colt Pederson, TE/DE TJ Reynolds, OL/DL Marcus Irvin, RB/LB Zach Torgerson

Huntley Project Key Players: RB/DB Lane Sumner, QB Tylan Croy, OL/DL Trey Copeland, WR/DB Keenan Reynolds, TE/LB Logan Schaff, RB Wyatt Selman

Winner of this one will play the winner of Malta/Eureka. Shelby comes in as the North/West Wildcard while Huntley Project comes in as the #1 seed in 3B (impressive knowing how tough that conference is). Like Loyola on the top-side of the bracket, Huntley drew a tough opponent in Shelby. Shelby's only two losses this year were to Fairfield and Cut Bank where they turned the ball over way too much and their offense sputtered. They have the talent to hang with the best teams so Huntley Project will have to bring their A game. The Coyotes are led by one of the better young quarterbacks in the state in junior Aaron White. He has a two tall targets in WR Andrew Johnson (6'4") and TE TJ Reynolds (6'5"). RB's Colt Pederson and Zach Torgerson tote the rock for Shelby to lead their ground attack. For the Red Devils, they had to replace some really good seniors on both sides of the ball but have not missed a beat with QB Tylan Croy, RB Lane Sumner, and WR Keenan Reynolds leading the way on offense. Their offensive line lost some beef from last year's squad but still has one of the top juniors on the line in Trey Copeland who blocks for one of the best junior running backs in Lane Sumner. Like Fairfield, HP knows how to win games and believe they are going to win every game they play. Shelby will be a tough out but I see Huntley winning this one in the 4th quarter by giving the ball to Lane Sumner and letting him do his thing. Prediction: Huntley Project wins 27-13.

Malta (5-3) at Eureka (7-1) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Malta Key Players: WR/FS Ostin Welch, RB/LB Trace Simonson, OL/DL Taylor Matthews, RB/LB Trey Simanton, OL/DL Cody Werk, TE/DE Tel Jensen

Eureka Key Players: QB/FS Garrett Graves, WR/SS Austyn Sherwood, OL/DL Owen Davis, OL/DE Joe Fehr, RB/LB Cannan Smith, TE/DE James Dunn

Winner of this one will play the winner of Shelby/Huntley Project. Malta comes in as the #2 seed from the 2B while Eureka comes in as the #1 seed from the 7B. Eureka comes into this one on a high note with a dominating conference championship victory over Bigfork two weeks ago. They are led by dual-threat QB Garrett Graves who also spreads the ball to WR Austyn Sherwood, RB Cannan Smith, and TE James Dunn. Eureka also has an impressive offensive and defensive line led by wrecking balls Owen Daivs and Joe Fehr. Malta comes into this one with off a heartbreaking 34-33 loss to conference rival Glasgow last week. They have two good running backs in Trey Simanton and Trace Simonson and a talented receiver in Ostin Welch. Their lines got a boost with the return of Cody Werk from injury who really helps them on the defensive line. They also have two good defensive ends in Taylor Matthews and Tel Jensen. Overall, Eureka is just a mismatch as Malta doesn't have anyone who can block the dudes on the Lions defensive line. QB Garrett Graves has had a really good junior season and has caught the attention of college recruiters. It will be competitive but Eureka should win this one handily. Prediction: Eureka wins 41-22.

Ronan (5-4) at Columbus (5-3) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Ronan Key Players: QB/LB Kasey Mock, WR/DB Ezekiel Misa, TE/OLB Aaron Misa, OL/DT Gray Cook, WR/FS Brendon Blood, RB/DB Collin McGuyer

Columbus Key Players: RB/LB EJ Daniels, OL/DL Dustin Stepper, QB/FS Eddie Foos, WR/DB Connor Solomon, TE/DE Jace Aumueler, FB/OLB Chuck Miller

Winner of this one plays the winner of Whitehall/Cut Bank. Ronan comes in as the #2 seed out of 6B while Columbus comes in as the #1 seed out of 4B. Columbus snuck out of the 4B with an undefeated conference record with close wins over Red Lodge, Joliet, Big Timber, and Roundup (#2 in the 4B). However, 4B might be the weakest top-to-bottom conference in Class B as Columbus lost badly to contenders Whitehall, Huntley Project and a non-playoff team in Jefferson. I do think the Cougars have some talent and they drew a first round opponent that is one of the weaker teams in the 16-team playoff field in Ronan. The Cougars are led by RB EJ Daniels, OL/DL Dustin Stepper, FB/OLB Chuck Miller, and TE/DE Jace Aumueler. On the other side, Ronan comes in as a team with some good top talent but not really any signature wins. They lost to Jefferson, Bigfork, Missoula Loyola, and Deer Lodge during the year but Deer Lodge choked against Anaconda last week to give Ronan the #2 seed in the conference. Ronan is led by a tough dual-threat QB in Kasey Mock and some good runners and receivers in Ezekiel Misa, Aaron Misa, Brendon Blood, and Collin McGuyer. I think this might be one of the closer games of the first round but wouldn't be surprised if Ronan wins this game and wins it big. Prediction: Ronan wins 38-14.

Whitehall (8-1) at Cut Bank (6-2) - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 10/29

Whitehall Key Players: QB/FS Braden Larsen, TE/LB Andrew Simon, WR/DB Wyatt Alexander, OL/DT Dawson Hoerauf, RB/LB Braden Smith, WR/LB Lane Buus

Cut Bank Key Players: OL/DL Justin Pfeifer, QB/DB Wylie Novak, OL/DT Blaine Jansen, TE/OLB Kyle Brauhn, RB/FS JR Seewald, FB/MLB Peter Hamilton

Winner of this one plays the winner of Ronan/Columbus. Whitehall comes in as the #2 seed from the 5B while Cut Bank comes in as the #2 seed in the 1B. Other than the Loyola/Baker game, this might be the most intriguing matchup of the playoffs mostly because the winner has a very good shot at making the semifinals (I don't think Ronan and Columbus match up with either of these two teams) and both are good enough to contend with the best teams in the state. Whitehall is led by possibly the MVP of Class B in QB Braden Larsen. Luke Gonsioroski of Baker is a better athlete but Larsen put together a season for the ages in Class B. He had multiple five touchdown games and has a ton of arm talent. His top two receivers are TE Andrew Simon and WR Wyatt Alexander. Braden Smith shares the rock with Larsen out of the backfield. Whitehall was a two-point conversion away from beating Manhattan to win the 5B and have an undefeated record but failed to do so. However, they landed on the easier side of the bracket in my opinion. Cut Bank is possibly the most physical team in Class B as they have a big offensive line and some bruiser running backs. OL/DL stalwarts in Justin Pfeifer (280) and Blaine Jansen (300) as well as FB Peter Hamilton (240) and TE Kyle Brauhn (210) pave the way for QB Wylie Novak and RB's Tyrell Sylvester, JR Sewald, and Keaton Anderson. When comparing schedules, both teams play in tough conferences and have some impressive wins. The Trojans key to victory is their passing game while Cut Bank's is keeping the ball away from Larsen by pounding the rock. If Whitehall gets up, Cut Bank is not built to play from behind. If Cut Bank gets up, it will be because Whitehall can't stop their ground attack. Cut Bank went toe-to-toe physically with Fairfield but failed to stop the Eagles explosive plays in a 24-16 loss. Whitehall was the better team against Manhattan but failed to convert in important parts of the game, including a failed two-point conversion for the win. It's a toss up but I think Whitehall pulls out a one point win. Prediction: Whitehall wins 21-20.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2016 Class B Playoffs (First Round)

Post by Bemiller49 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 am

Looking forward to see how these games play out. This should be an interesting playoff. No obvious team that could win it. There are a few.

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:01 am

Even though you were off on scores, you did a good job. Only missed 1.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:26 am

Bemiller49 wrote:Even though you were off on scores, you did a good job. Only missed 1.
Did way better on the Class A scores. Class B is so hard to predict. I knew I should have picked Shelby for the upset. I literally was ready to and then I wussed out.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:32 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:Even though you were off on scores, you did a good job. Only missed 1.
Did way better on the Class A scores. Class B is so hard to predict. I knew I should have picked Shelby for the upset. I literally was ready to and then I wussed out.
I doubt Nostradamus himself could have picked that Shelby vs Huntley game. Shelby had been held scoreless in it's last 2 games against Fairfield and Cut Bank. That Huntley game sounds like it was a real back and forth barn burner to the last second. Now the real test for you will be this week when Shelby goes to Eureka in what will be a rematch of a game they played at Wagriz stadium which iirc Shelby won 28 18.
Thanks Vim your efforts are very much appreciated.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:34 pm

+1