MT High School Football Rankings - Week 10

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MT High School Football Rankings - Week 10

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:I'm certain that having classification determined by percentage of student body participation in sports would be a huge can of worms.
Ya, and I could have heard wrong. It would make more sense if it is within a percentage of being at the cut-off level or something.

Shopkeeper
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shopkeeper » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Greetings...

I've been lurking on this site since my son, Hayden, starting playing football for Belgrade a few years ago. First, thanks for such great info; I confess I hadn't paid much attention to Montana HS sports until he started high school. The rankings, commentary and conversation have been invaluable to me.

Second- I know I shouldn't do this :) ...I know it's stereotypical dad behavior to defend his kid and his kid's team, but I'm doing it anyway.

Honestly, kmax said all that needs to be regarding the idea of playing starters to begin the 3rd Q and the situation at large in Park last Friday; in fact, the Belgrade people I was with in the stands were actually rooting for Park by about midway through the 2nd quarter.

I thought I'd add just one comment on the first-team starting the second half: The offense did score on their "drive," but I believe that "drive" was one play- an option to my son who outran defenders down a 70 yard lane to the end-zone.

So, I understand the concerns about running up the score; I really do. However, it's not like the starters made a determined, relentless drive to get more points...It was more like Zach tossed one pitch to Hayden.

Anyway, my apologies that my first post is of this type. I'm not offended or angered by the comment; just thought I'd share a detail from the game. And, this post doesn't reflect the appreciation for what I've gained by lurking about, so I'll end it by repeating my thanks for the write-ups and info.

Thanks very much...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Shopkeeper wrote:Greetings...

I've been lurking on this site since my son, Hayden, starting playing football for Belgrade a few years ago. First, thanks for such great info; I confess I hadn't paid much attention to Montana HS sports until he started high school. The rankings, commentary and conversation have been invaluable to me.

Second- I know I shouldn't do this :) ...I know it's stereotypical dad behavior to defend his kid and his kid's team, but I'm doing it anyway.

Honestly, kmax said all that needs to be regarding the idea of playing starters to begin the 3rd Q and the situation at large in Park last Friday; in fact, the Belgrade people I was with in the stands were actually rooting for Park by about midway through the 2nd quarter.

I thought I'd add just one comment on the first-team starting the second half: The offense did score on their "drive," but I believe that "drive" was one play- an option to my son who outran defenders down a 70 yard lane to the end-zone.

So, I understand the concerns about running up the score; I really do. However, it's not like the starters made a determined, relentless drive to get more points...It was more like Zach tossed one pitch to Hayden.

Anyway, my apologies that my first post is of this type. I'm not offended or angered by the comment; just thought I'd share a detail from the game. And, this post doesn't reflect the appreciation for what I've gained by lurking about, so I'll end it by repeating my thanks for the write-ups and info.

Thanks very much...
Totally understandable to play the starters the first possession of the second half. As Kmax said, it is not uncommon for coaches to do this at every level. I mostly just disagree with the coaching philosophy of doing so with such a big lead at halftime. The starters already did their job in the first half. Avoid injuries, build depth with the younger kids, and let your starters rest. Again, I completely understand with playing the starters the first possession of the third quarter with a big lead. However, this wasn't a 30-6 lead where the decision was still in doubt. This was a 59-6 lead where there was an obvious mismatch in talent between Belgrade's starters and Park's starters. So I just disagree with rolling any starters out their even for a play on offense or defense with a running clock and 53 point lead. Belgrade has a good team and Hayden is an excellent running back. Good luck to the Panthers in the playoffs.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Shopkeeper
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shopkeeper » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Understood, and I can appreciate your perspective. I was relieved when the starters were done for the night, for more than one reason...Obviously, and sadly, the injury risk was realized as well.

Also appreciate your write-ups...I know how obnoxious player parents can be, so I promise no more comments till everything is over :)

Thanks again.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm

Shopkeeper wrote:Understood, and I can appreciate your perspective. I was relieved when the starters were done for the night, for more than one reason...Obviously, and sadly, the injury risk was realized as well.

Also appreciate your write-ups...I know how obnoxious player parents can be, so I promise no more comments till everything is over :)

Thanks again.
Thanks! And comment away. I'm certainly far from perfect. I just like to put stuff out there and start conversation.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Hey Vim. Do you think it is a certainty that Bozeman 2 will be AA? I could see starting at A and working to AA as an option.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:34 am

LIBBYCAT wrote:Hey Vim. Do you think it is a certainty that Bozeman 2 will be AA? I could see starting at A and working to AA as an option.
I would assume they would start at AA. Probably will be similar to the two Kalispell schools when they formed about 10 years ago.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:Hey Vim. Do you think it is a certainty that Bozeman 2 will be AA? I could see starting at A and working to AA as an option.
I would assume they would start at AA. Probably will be similar to the two Kalispell schools when they formed about 10 years ago.
I would guess AA with a JV schedule to start. Might only have Frosh and Sophs the first year--something like that.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:41 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
I would guess AA with a JV schedule to start. Might only have Frosh and Sophs the first year--something like that.
Glacier played a AA varsity schedule their first year of existence. I think there were juniors included in that first team, but no seniors.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Bengals 28
Bears 21

Looks like Bears will travel to Kalispell if they win first game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Guess I missed something. Bozeman is getting a second high school..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:14 am

RickRund wrote:Guess I missed something. Bozeman is getting a second high school..
Assuming it gets funded. Bond issue on the ballot. I haven't been paying real close attention but I believe it's expected to pass. Bozeman school bonds virtually always pass - can't recall one that didn't.

There's also a bond issue for a new law and justice center. With both these big ticket items, it's possible that one or both doesn't pass. It's a pretty hefty amount.