2016 Shrine Game Rosters Breakdowns

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2016 Shrine Game Rosters Breakdowns

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:13 am

Shrine Game Roster Breakdowns

QB

East: Matthew Blunt - Miles City (5'11", 185 lbs.)
East: Dane Warp - Havre (6'4", 190 lbs.)

West: Leif Ericksen - Kalispell Glacier (6'4", 185 lbs.)
West: Luke May - Whitefish (6'0", 188 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Alec Nehring - Manhattan (6'4", 215 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Ian McIntosh - Chinook (5'10", 185 lbs.)

With the exception of Ericksen, the starting quarterbacks come from the Class A level for the shrine game...and rightfully so. Going into the season, I said Luke May and Dane Warp were the two best quarterbacks in Montana. Now I do think that Nate Dick (Billings Senior) and Troy Anderson (Dillon) have an argument that they are better than any of the four seniors on this list, but they are juniors so their names will get to join the conversation next year.

Dane Warp is the most decorated of the group, holding Montana records for the most passing yards and passing touchdowns in a career. He has a three star rating from scouting sites such as Scout.com and Rivals.com which goes to show how much those sites don't know Montana well at all. As a prospect, Dane has a very lean frame with good accuracy as a passer. He does not have the best arm strength but his accuracy helps overlook that category. He moves well in the pocket and shows good technique outside of it meaning when he rolls to his left or right, he still hits throws in stride. He is not fast and his athleticism outside the pocket is a weakness. Why has he been overlooked by the two in-state schools? Athleticism and arm strength. Those have to be the only two things hurting him because he has the height, the accuracy, the stats, and the GPA (4.0 student). It has been reported he is deciding between Carroll College for basketball or Dartmouth for football. The East should be happy to have Dane on their side. He is an excellent high school quarterback.

Matthew Blunt won a lot of games for Miles City as the starting quarterback. Miles City ran a very "run-heavy" scheme using a zone-read with a lot of pre-snap motion. Blunt was the operator of that scheme. One of their most successful play-calls this year was having Blunt keep the ball off the zone read and run up the gut with a pulling lineman through the hole. Blunt is also not a bad passer with his favorite target being Wyatt Lesh who is an alternate for the game. I am not sure on Blunt's future but he is a good enough athlete to play at any of the frontier conference schools. He and Warp will form a good pair of signal-callers for the East.

Luke May didn't have the Dane Warp records, but he finished his career with a State title. The dual-threat gunslinger led Whitefish to its first state title since 1979. An outstanding athlete, May was the Co-Offensive player of the year in the Northwestern A Conference. He does his damage on the run, throwing it or running it. He is one of those quarterbacks that may throw a better ball when he is actually on the move. Whitefish ran a zone-read scheme and May ran it well. I think he is a college level safety because of his football instincts and physicality. He wasn't afraid to dish out a hit as a quarterback or defensive back. Luke has already signed on to throw javelin at the University of Minnesota which is pretty cool gig if you ask me.

Leif Erickson almost go the Wolfpack back in the state title game for a third straight year but came up about 30 yards short in Bozeman in the semifinals. Leif's last pass of his high school career was a Bennett Hostetler interception inside the 10 yard line to seal a state title game berth for Bozeman. Leif played well in that game against a really good defense. Glacier relied a ton on their power run game this year behind Thomas Trefney and co. But Ericksen showed a strong arm and good accuracy in the passing game. Do not know about college offers or interest for Leif but he and the rest of the 2015 Glacier team exceeded expectations all season.

The only QB alternate on the West squad in Alec Nehring. Alec is another great athlete for his size. He could win both the shot put and discus in track this year along with high jump and long jump. He is that good of a track athlete. A good tight end/receiver in 2014, Manhattan moved him to QB his senior year and Manhattan made it all the way to the quarterfinals before being eliminated by Baker. Alec put up great stats but his future is in track as he signed with the MSU track & field team. Go Cats!

The only QB alternate on the East squad is Ian McIntosh. Personally, I am jacked Ian got listed with these QBs because he deserves it. He was the catalyst for that Chinook championship team this year and he is a heck of an athlete. He has a good arm and good instincts at the position. An excellent scrambler who can make plays happen with his feet. He would be a quality backup to either East quarterback if needed. He is a gamer!

Ranking the QBs:
1.) Dane Warp
2.) Luke May
3.) Matthew Blunt
4.) Leif Ericksen
5.) Alec Nehring
6.) Ian McIntosh

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2016 Shrine Game Rosters Breakdowns

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:14 am

RB

East: Conner Bokma - DGS (6'2", 205 lbs.)
East: Andrew Grinde - CMR (5'11", 215 lbs.)
East: Sam Sparks - Billings Senior (6'0", 180 lbs.)

West: Michael Banna - Missoula Big Sky (5'11", 225 lbs.)
West: Josh McCracken - Kalispell Flathead (5'9", 195 lbs.)
West: Sean Opland - Troy (6'0", 200 lbs.)
West: Chris Park - Whitefish (5'7", 180 lbs.)
West: Thomas Trefney - Kalispell Glacier (6'1", 205 lbs.)

Alternate (East): Bridger Coffman - Sidney (5'10", 170 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Riley Hagler - Savage (6'2", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Aidan Collins - Missoula Loyola (6'2", 205 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Alex Draper - Hamilton (6'0", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Wyatt Haldorson - Corvallis (5'10", 170 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Brad Holland - Flint Creek (5'9", 165 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Nick Winfield - Jefferson (5'10", 195 lbs.)

The East will carry three running backs while the West will carry five. The West also has a laundry list of quality alternates to choose from if need be. There are 6-7 backs that have a shot at the FCS level but I will only say two are scholarship players (Andrew Grinde and Sean Opland). Fringe PWO guys are Sam Sparks, Conner Bokma, Michael Banna, Josh McCracken, and Thomas Trefney. There are 15 backs to cover here so let's get started with the East backs.

Andrew Grinde was slowed this year by a few nagging injuries but it didn't stop him from still topping the 1,000 yard mark. He also ran behind a less than stellar offensive line (which still had SuperState player Noah Danielson). Andrew runs with speed, power and patience. He also a good pass blocker and receiver. The only knock on him would probably have to be his height but that just doesn't matter as a running back in my opinion. Just overall a great running back and one of the best to ever play in the Montana high school ranks. He committed to Yale early in the fall and has not looked back. Best of luck to him.

Sam Sparks was part of a three headed monster at Billing Senior this year with Nate Dick (QB) and Gabe Sulser (WR/ATH). The Broncs ran a zone read scheme almost to perfection at times and they had so much speed. Sparks only increased that speed as he had 1456 yards on 228 carries and led AA with 6.4 yards per carry. He ran behind a great offensive line. Sam has good hips and makes good cuts in the hole and on the outside. Has good speed. Will not be a power back by any stretch when he plays in college because he is more of a versatile player where you can line him up anywhere. Sam is worthy of a PWO offer in my book because he comes from a good program, has enough talent, could play other positions, and would be a nightmare on special teams if he doesn't crack a lineup.

Conner Bokma is a kid that I ranked as the third best running back in Montana going into this past season. He didn't get the chance to play his full senior season because of injury but he came back with a few games to go and led DGS to a State 6-man title. The phrase "he is just a six-man kid" doesn't work with Conner. He has the size (6'2", 205 lbs.) and versatility (played running back, wide receiver, linebacker, and safety) to get a shot at the Big Sky. Tim Cramsey followed him on twitter because he must have seen the talent as well. Conner isn't a burner but he isn't slow either. You can throw away his stats from 6-man and instead watch him on tape. He is a quick twitch athlete and plays loose. Plays physical with a ton of passion. His style of play is nearly exactly like Rhett Young's coming out of high school. Montana Tech, MSU-Northern, Rocky, and Dickinson State I think have already offered. What it will come down to is how badly Conner wants to be a Bobcat. If he doesn't get a PWO offer, he may just walk-on next fall and try to make the team. He badly wants to be a Bobcat.

ImageImage
For the West, Sean Opland is the first player that jumps out. He didn't pick up a ton of wins in his career but he finished in the top 5 in rushing yards for a career in Montana high school football history. A great athlete (we have talked about his track ability enough on here), Sean is slated to be a running back for the Cats. He is a three time Class B All-State selection at running back and two time at linebacker. At State track last year, his results were: 100M - 2nd place (11.20), 200M - 1st place (22.6), 400M - 2nd place (49.49), and High Jump - 2nd place (6'2"). The ONLY reason he is not more talked about in the state is because he is from Troy. The Cats offered a full-ride and I cannot wait to see how the kid develops and how he shows his abilities against the best in-state competition this summer.

Thomas Trefney led AA in rushing yards his senior year behind a powerful Glacier rushing attack. Thomas is a slippery runner who can break a big run if he sees light. He also has good size and is a good receiver. The only knock I have on him is his running style. He runs stiff and he is not as good of a cutter as some of the other top backs. However, his stats don't lie. I can say he runs stiff all day but his tape shows a kid who ran against some of the best defenses AA has to offer and he was successful against all of them. Coach Grady Bennett put it best by saying he is one of those backs that gets better the more carries he gets. Thomas has received strong interest from nearly every Montana frontier school.

Michael Banna is the bruiser of the group. He is your prototypical fullback in a pro-style offense. He carried the load for Big Sky his senior year and racked up over 1,000 yards rushing. He is also an excellent receiver. Michael is also no slouch in the "athletic" department as he hurdles defenders multiple times in his senior tape. The old Bobcat staff was interested in him. I do not know on his interest level now but he is definitely worthy of a PWO because of his future as a short yardage back and blocker. Frontier schools have already offered.

Chris Park shined his senior season for Whitefish. He was the Co-Offensive MVP of the Northwestern A conference (as well as a Co-Defensive MVP at LB). He is only 5'7" but he plays like a 230 lb fullback. He is very similar to current Bobcat Logan Jones. One of those football players that can kind of do it all on offense. Again, the only thing hurting him is his size and he just tore his ACL during the A title game against Dillon. I think Carroll and other frontier schools are interested. I wouldn't be surprised if either school throws a PWO offer at him late in the recruiting game this month.

The final back is Josh McCracken from Flathead. The kid is built like a rock at 5'8", 195 lbs. Hard to bring down due to his size and speed combo. Josh was one of the hardest workers on Kyle Samson's team and Samson stated, " His strength allows him to break a lot of tackles but he also has the speed to break it outside and make some big plays there as well." His running backs coach, former Griz and NFL player Lex Hilliard, stated, "He never shies away from a hit and he's a fearless runner." Josh is getting strong interest from Frontier schools and their is a Griz connection there. I see him playing in the Frontier. Cody Kirk type work ethic though.

Alex Draper leads the group of alternates. If he wasn't on the West side of the state, he would be on the East squad no doubt. I have been very high on him throughout this year but the other backs from the West did prove to be the best five on the field. Alex is a good running back who has loose hips and is one of the better cutters in the State in my opinion. He doesn't have the break away speed some of the other backs have. He could turn into a good linebacker at the next level. He carried Hamilton for the past two seasons. The Griz have shown some interest in Alex but I have no idea about offers. Good football player who runs the football a lot like Chad Newell.

Nick Winfield transferred to Jefferson High School from Helena High before his senior season and he helped lead Jefferson to the Class B playoffs. Jefferson won the 5B title this year but they had a tough draw in the first round because they had to play the 2nd place team of the tough 3B conference. They got Huntley in the first round and lost a close game. Regardless, Nick had a great senior season and he is a quality running back. I don't know if he has the speed to compete at the Big Sky level but he is a "put together" athlete that is very competitive. Nick verballed to Montana Tech the first weekend in January as a running back.

Aidan Collins from Missoula Loyola had a great senior season. One of the bigger backs in this class, here is what he thinks about running the football, ""It's a contact sport and I really enjoy it, so if someone's going to tackle me, they're going to hurt. If I hit them hard enough throughout the game they're going to not want to tackle me later on. I've seen it happen before." He was also a standout defensive end for the Rams. I do not know about offers from Frontier schools but he was definitely one of the top 15 backs in the state in 2015.

Bridger Coffman had a great career as a Sidney Eagle. Their primary running back for the past two seasons, Bridger is one of the faster player running backs in the state. He is also a standout wrestler. Not sure on his football interest but may have a future as a college wrestler.

Wyatt Haldorson may be a better defensive player (strong safety) than offensive player but he is listed as a running back alternate for the West squad. Corvallis didn't have a ton of success this year but most of their positive plays went threw him.
He has good speed and football instincts. Solid all-around football player that would be a quality alternate if called upon.

Riley Hagler is a bigger back from the 6-man ranks. He helped carry Savage all the way to the semifinals this year. He is not a division one athlete but has a chance to play in the frontier conference. Personally, I thought there were better backs in the East to list as alternates but Savage is a good program and Riley is a physical player that can help not just as a running back if needed.

Brad Holland is another running back who comes from the Flint Creek co-op (formerly Drummond and Philipsburg). He is the only Class C 8-man runner listed on the Shrine roster. He has been all-state the past two seasons on offense and defense for the Titans. Plays with a good motor for his size and has good speed. Do not know bout college interest.

Ranking the RBs:
1.) Andrew Grinde
2.) Sean Opland
3.) Sam Sparks
4.) Conner Bokma
5.) Michael Banna
6.) Thomas Trefney
7.) Josh McCracken
8.) Chris Park
9.) Alex Draper
10.) Nick Winfield
11.) Bridger Coffman
12.) Aidan Collins
13.) Wyatt Haldorson
14.) Brad Holland
15.) Riley Hagler

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:15 am

WR

East: Tyger Frye - Billings Senior (5'11", 165 lbs.)
East: Jacob Hadley - Billings Central (6'6", 225 lbs.)
East: Justin May - Chester/Joplin/Inverness (6'2", 180 lbs.)
East: Karl Tucker - CMR (6'1", 205 lbs.)

West: Tracen Eggers - Twin Bridges (5'11", 175 lbs.)
West: Will Hunthausen - Helena Capital (6'2", 170 lbs.)
West: Caleb Jones - Kalisepll Glacier (5'10", 160 lbs.)
West: Jed Nagler - Whitefish (6'4", 210 lbs.)
West: Nate Simkins - Dillon (5'11", 145 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Danny Burton - Helena Capital (5'9", 165 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Cole Harper - Butte Central (6'0", 170 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Trais Hoisington - Thompson Falls (6'4", 195 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Payton LaFrentz - Dillon (6'2", 165 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Quade McQueary - Townsend (5'9", 175 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Hudson Smith - Polson (6'3", 180 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Wyate Lesh - Miles City (6'2", 175 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Nate Rismon - Havre (6'0", 175 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Chase Rossmiler - Power/Dutton/Brady (6'1", 175 lbs.)

The East squad took four receivers from their region and the West loaded up with five. Each team has a good mix of size and speed. The top 2 have already committed to UM and MSU so let's get started with them.

Karl Tucker II was the second Montana player to commit to the Cats this year. He had a strong relationship with the prior coaching staff so good on the new coaches reassuring him that he is part of the future. He is a outstanding wide receiver and one of the better ones to ever come out of CMR. He set the all-time receptions record at CMR and was up there in the receiving yards and touchdowns list. For a storied program, that is impressive. The first thing that jumps out to you when watching his tape are his hands. He catches everything around him, good or bad passes. He can go up and get it and is not afraid to go across the middle. He was used in a lot of spots for CMR but he has great run after the catch ability. He is a slicer on offense. A knock on him would probably be his speed but he will not have to be a burner at MSU as he will most likely be playing a lot in the slot. He is also an excellent route runner and blocker which is huge at the next level. He was a 1st-Team All-State and Super-State selection at receiver for CMR.

Jed Nagler passes the eye test when you take a look at him. He is built like a linebacker or defensive end and runs like a gazelle. A very smooth athlete that knows how to get open. In Whitefish's offense, Nagler's big plays usually came when QB Luke May started to scramble around and Nagler knew how to get open. A Griz commit, Nagler is a perfect fit for Bob Stitt's inside receiver position as he is a mismatch for linebackers and he excels at crossing routes. He might be the best track athlete in the State along with Sean Opland and Alec Nehring from Manhattan. He is a sprinter and high jumper. As a receiver, he has great hands and can go up and get it with the best of them. His strength shows in blocking. I think he will need improvement as a route runner but it shouldn't be a problem because he is so athletic. It's a close call between him and Karl Tucker but the way I see it is Jed is your Dez Bryant type while Karl is your Steve Smith type receiver. Jed was a 1st-Team All-State and Super-State pick at receiver for Whitefish.

Jacob Hadley was the star receiver for Billings Central and boy has he grown. The kid is up to 6'6", 225 lbs. and played big this year. He might be the best jump ball catcher in the state. His coming out party this year was against Dillon where he caught four touchdown passes against arguably the best defense in Class A. He was also a standout corner for the Rams but realistically he won't be playing there in college. He excels in catching contested balls but his route running could use some work. He has decent speed and was required to block a lot in high school. He is getting interest and possibly has offers from both MSU and UM and I expect him to take visits to both before a decision. He is from a Cat family as his sister attends MSU. Jacob earned All-State honors at WR and DB and Super State honors at DB.

Tracen Eggers was part of a high-powered Twin Bridges squad this year that made it all the way to the semi's, falling to Arlee 22-14. Tracen was the star receiver with speed to boot. He deserved a starting spot on the West roster because he has been doing it for a few years at Twin Bridges. He also may have a future at safety wherever he plays college football next year. A solid, steady football player from a good program. A two-time all-state selection in Class C.

Justin May is a three time all-stater from CJI. He played running back, wide receiver, linebacker, and safety. He made the Great Falls Super State team as a defensive athlete. He may have the best hands in Montana. If you want to know how good they are, watch the first highlight from his tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEEKnI-sWlE. He has tremendous upside and his biggest knock is his speed. But he is a savvy football player who has a shot at wide receiver or safety at the next level. Frontier conference schools have offered and MSU showed interest under the previous staff, inviting him to their top 15 recruit visit during the Griz game.

Will Hunthausen was a key cog in the resurgence of the Helena Capital team this year. He had over 1,000 yards receiving and has a great stride when he gets in the open field. He is also good in space and can make defenders miss. He has a long, lean frame and is an excellent hurdler in track. Both MSU and UM have interest in him being a PWO and he has gotten scholarship offers from some of the frontier conference schools. In fact, he verballed to Montana Tech the first weekend in January. A good player who could be great if he continues to get stronger. He was a 1st Team All-State receiver for the Bruins.

Tyger Frye just added to the speed that Senior already had this year. If it wasn't enough of a nightmare to slow down Nate Dick, Sam Sparks, and Gabe Sulser, you then had to slow down Frye who was a cat quick receiver on the outside who could make contested, diving catches all over the field. Tyger committed to Dickinson State last week. He was a 1st Team All-State receiver for Senior.

Caleb Jones from Glacier plays the game a lot like current Bobcat and former Wolfpack standout Logan Jones. He is a slot receiver and defensive back that plays hard and fast. He may be the best cornerback out of Montana and he has gotten looks from Frontier conference schools. Just a good football player to have on the field. Will always play the game the right way. Caleb was a 1st Team All-State WR and DB for Glacier.

Nate Simkins out of Dillon was Troy Anderson's favorite target. The duo helped lead Dillon all the way to the title game in Class A. Nate was known for always getting open and catching everything coming his way. He was primarily a slot receiver who motioned into the backfield at times. He was an All-State pick as an ATH for Dillon. The only thing holding him back is his weight at 145 lbs. But he plays big and was definitely one of the best offensive players in Class A in 2015.

The West squad is carrying six alternates at WR while the East has three. Let's start with the West:

Danny Burton formed a dynamic receiving duo with Will Hunthausen at Capital. Kid plays with a lot of passion and he hurts defenses with his speed. He was an HM All-State pick for Capital. He also played corner at Capital.

Cole Harper from Butte Central did all he could to keep the Maroons in contention this year in Class A. He has really good hands and is not a great route runner. Makes his plays after the catch. Overall a good alternate who was an All-State receiver in Class A. Cole has verballed to Montana-Western.

Payton LaFrentz out of Dillon is a taller receiver out of the West. He pair with Nate Simkins for a good receiving duo. He is a good blocker and can make enough plays in the passing game to be a quality alternate.

Hudson Smith is one of the better receivers to come out of the West. He led Polson to a playoff berth in Class A this year. Hudson has good size and speed for the position and he caught a lot of footballs in his career as he was heavily featured in their offense. He could have just as easily been picked as a starter. He was an All-State receiver for Polson. Good player who is a sleeper prospect.

Quade McQueary is the younger brother of Quinn McQueary who's college career took a turn about a year ago. Quade played for Deer Lodge his junior year before moving to Townsend to play with Jace Lewis for his senior year. He was Jace's favorite target but they couldn't get into the Class B playoffs to make another title run. Quade is a smaller sized receiver has already verballed to Montana Tech. Was a 1st-team 5B conference pick at WR and DB.

Trais Hoisington is a big, tall receiver from Thompson Falls. He had seven touchdowns on the year and led TF to the Class B playoffs. He was an All-State pick in Class B and 1st-team 7B selection as a receiver, defensive back, and punter.

Wyatt Lesh was Miles City's top pass catcher during their run this year in Class A. Whitefish needed to shut him down in the semifinal game this year and they accomplished that in the second half. I personally thought he deserved a spot on the East starting squad but he should be the first alternate. He is a very good athlete with a ton of big play potential. He was an All-State selection for Miles City and should garner attention from the frontier conference schools.

Nate Rismon has been a big part of Dane Warp's success at Havre since both were freshman. Rismon hauled in a lot of Warp touchdowns over his recording breaking career at Havre. Nate is another smaller receiver who plays big. He goes up and gets balls and can catch in traffic. Very good runner after the catch who will be another quality alternate for the East squad. Nate is also versatile as he was an All-State pick at WR and DB for Havre.

Chase Rossmiller is another good Class C receiver who did everything for PDB over the past few years. Similar to Justin May in the way he plays. With multiple All-State selections, he has plenty of talent to compete in the Shrine game if called upon.

Ranking the WRs:
1a.) Karl Tucker II
1b.) Jed Nagler
3.) Jacob Hadley
4.) Will Hunthausen
5.) Justin May
6.) Nate Simkins
7.) Caleb Jones
8.) Tyger Frye
9.) Tracen Eggers
10.) Hudson Smith
11.) Wyatt Lesh
12.) Nate Rismon
13.) Trais Hoisington
14.) Cole Harper
15.) Danny Burton
16.) Quade McQueary
17.) Chase Rossmiler
18.) Payton LaFrentz

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:15 am

TE

East: Ben Hardy - Fairview (6'6", 210 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Robert McCarvel - Helena Capital (6'1", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Abel Armitage - Roundup (6'5", 250 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Tanner Osborne - Columbus (6'2", 230 lbs.)

The West team will most likely run a spread attack so they don't have an actual TE listed on the roster. They do have one alternate. The East has the best tight end prospect in the state in Fairview's Ben Hardy along with two big alternates so look for the East to be using a power run game like past years. Let's get started with Hardy.

Ben Hardy comes to the shrine game from Fairview. The school produces good athletes nearly every year and Ben is no exception. What sets him apart from the rest is his height and pass-catching ability. He has a different frame than his older brother Greg as he is built a bit leaner but you can't teach 6'6". Ben is also a standout basketball and track athlete. Older brother Greg Hardy was an All-Big Sky TE for the Grizzlies. Anyway, Ben is the best TE prospect Montana has to offer and the Bobcats & Griz are interested. I'm sure the Griz have put out some interest and I'm unsure on the Bobcats interest under the new coaching staff. Ben was a two time All-State pick in football for the Warriors.

The rest of the tight end prospects are all alternates.

The lone tight end on the West roster is Robert McCarvel from Helena Capital. He was an HM All-State TE for the Bruins this past year and he helped lead a revitalized squad that made it all the way to the semis in 2015. He is a good blocker with soft hands. He plays hard and would be a quality alternate.

Abel Armitage is one of two Class B alternates for the East team. He comes from Roundup, Montana and is the biggest tight end listed at 250 lbs. He was a QB/DT for the Panthers which is an odd combination but when you're that big in Class B or C it doesn't really matter. Big is big! Anyway, Abel was an All-State selection in Class B and was a 4B First Team DT and Second Team QB.

The other East alternate is Columbus star Tanner Osborne. He is #6 in the photo above. Tanner played QB for the Cougars and if you check out his highlight film, he can spin it! He throws a great deep ball with plenty of air underneath it and can throw darts on his intermediate throws. Anyway, he most likely has a future as a tight end and Tanner isn't small. He is a good athlete at 230 lbs. If the East need another QB alternate, Tanner wouldn't be a bad option if Ian McIntosh can't go from Chinook. Tanner was an All-State selection in Class B and was a 4b First Team QB and First Team DE. He and Abel Armitage make up the heaviest conference QB tandem on any list that I have ever seen.

Ranking the TEs:
1.) Ben Hardy
2.) Tanner Osborne
3.) Able Armitage
4.) Robert McCarvel

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:16 am

OT

East: Noah Danielson - CMR (6'3", 245 lbs.)
East: Jaden Senger - Miles City (6'5", 220 lbs.)
East: Levi Stovall - Billings West (6'3", 240 lbs.)

West: Nathan Hammer - Kalispell Glacier (6'1", 235 lbs.)
West: Gus Herzog - Helena High (6'4", 220 lbs.)
West: Austin Pacheco - Bigfork (6'0", 250 lbs.)

Alternate (East): Ramsey Rutschke - Billings Skyview (6'3", 260 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Grant Ozegovich - Bigfork (6'5", 290 lbs.)

I'll start the offensive line breakdown with the offensive tackle selections. Many of these guys also played as defensive lineman and played multiple offensive line positions during their careers but the committee definitely picked the best offensive tackles in my opinion. Let's get started with the East selections.

Noah Danielson is the best offensive tackle playing in the Shrine Game this summer. He gets a good push in the run game and keeps driving his feet until the whistle. He doesn't have the best feet but he definitely understands leverage as he is a very good heavyweight wrestler for CMR as well. At times, he lunges too much when trying to engage blockers but when he does engage, he wins more battles than loses. Is he a Big Sky player? I think he could be a walk-on. He has plenty of room to put on weight. His upper body is under developed and lean so there is room for growth up top. Tim Cramsey was interested in the prior coaching staff. Noah was selected to the GFT Super-State squad as an OT and was an AA All-State OL.

Jaden Senger was an outstanding two-way player for the Miles City Cowboys in 2015. He part of a group that made it all the way to the semis before falling to the eventual champs, Whitefish. Jaden was the leader of both the offensive and defensive line. He could've very easily played DE in this game but he will be good to have at OT for the East. He plays with grit and toughness which wins him most of his one on one battles. He has a lean frame so he couldn't "out-size" blockers. He had good technique in the run game meaning his feet and hips were in the right spots and he used his long arms to his advantage. I'm curious to see where he plays because he could develop into either a good DE or OT in the Frontier conference. Good player from a good program. Was an All-State player for the Cowboys in 2015.

Levi Stovall is a Billings West product. He was an All-State first team OT and honorable mention DT. I thought he was one of the better defensive tackles in AA and deserved maybe second team honors but he is playing OT in this game. He is one of the bigger lineman for the East and he has good strength and size. Like Danielson, he lunges at blockers a little too much but when he latches on, he wins the battle. The same can be said in the pass blocking game as he got beat at times by speed rushers but wins the battle if he engages with the blocker. I think he projects as a better guard if he plays college football. He is getting looks from frontier conference schools. Good player to have for the East because they are going to run the rock a lot in this game. I know it sounded like I talked about a lot of weaknesses in his game but he excels in the run game and is a very good overall lineman.

Nathan Hammer leads the West squad and comes from Kalispell Glacier. Though he is on the short side for an offensive tackle (6'1"), he is very strong and rarely gets beat. He has good feet and a powerful frame. As a defensive tackle, he got a great push off the line and could get under offensive lineman well. Glacier's offensive is built off of the short passing game and running the ball so Nathan was experienced at getting out in space on screens. He won't be a Big Sky player but he is a good high school lineman who definitely deserved a spot in this game. He was a Second Team All-State OT and HM DL for the Wolfpack in 2015.

Gus Herzog was another two-way player in AA for Helena High. Through high school, Gus has slowly gotten stronger and grew into his tall frame and I thought he had an outstanding senior season. He uses his long arms to his advantage as a defensive end and offensive tackle. When Chase Benson was out of Helena's lineup earlier this year, Gus had to pick up the slack and he led that defensive line. Gus is a good athlete with a great motor on both sides of the ball. Montana Tech got a verbal from him last week but I wouldn't be surprised if the Cats tried to get him with a PWO. Anyway, he will be a good offensive lineman for the West squad.

Austin Pacheco (#79 in the photo above) is the heaviest listed offensive tackle on any roster. He was an All-State offensive lineman (left tackle) for Bigfork in 2015. He and his linemate Grant Ozegovich (West alternate) made up one of the largest duo's on any offensive line in Montana. If Austin was a few inches taller, he would have probably had offers from both Big Sky schools because he is very good in the run game and shows good feet and hands in the pass blocking game. I think he is the sleeper of this group to possibly walk-on and play in the Big Sky possibly at Center or Guard. He is built like an athlete and not like a large, lumbering offensive lineman. Austin has also verballed to Montana Tech.

The two alternates are from Bigfork and Billings Skyview.

Grant Ozegovich (#74 on picture above in the upper right) was the right tackle on that heavy Bigfork offensive line in 2015. I was high on Grant in the offseason as he made All-state as a junior but he seemed to fall off a bit his senior season. Regardless, Grant still got an alternate mention for the Shrine Game which is a nice honor. He is absolutely huge. He is 6'5", 290 but he actually looks bigger. He really sticks out on a Class B offensive line. As far as his game goes, he is not very fast off the line but his size helps him overcompensate for his weaknesses. He still shows good effort and is a mauler in the run game. He has a bit of Kyle Godecke in him in that he isn't great at pass blocking but if you can get him going downhill, you are going to get positive yards. I like Grant and I know he is from a Griz family. Interested to see where he ends up. He was still an All-Conference player for Bigfork in 2015.

Ramsey Rutschke hails from Billings Skyview and is the alternate OT for the East. He was an HM All-State choice at OT for Skyview in 2015. He does a good job of shooting his hands but at times forgets to keep moving his feet in the pass blocking game. His size helps him in the run game. Skyview struggled in 2015 after they graduated a ton of good athletes but their Ramsey was definitely a bright spot on the OL. He will be a good alternate for the East because his strong suit is in the run game.

Ranking the OTs:
1.) Noah Danielson
2.) Austin Pacheco
3.) Levi Stovall
4.) Nathan Hammer
5.) Gus Herzog
6.) Jaden Senger
7.) Grant Ozegovich
8.) Ramsey Rutschke

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:18 am

OG

East: Jake Sessions - Colstrip (6'5", 275 lbs.)
East: Denver Krone - Choteau (6'1", 255 lbs.)
East: Devin Maua - Billings Senior (6'2", 240 lbs.)
East: Micah Holt-Seavy - Billings Central (6'4", 230 lbs.)

West: Chase Barta - Manhattan (6'1", 275 lbs.)
West: Brad Brazil - Arlee (6'2", 220 lbs.)
West: Dustin Wham - Ennis (6'2", 265 lbs.)

Alternate (East): Jarred Hurst - Gardiner (6'1", 280 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Josh Noah - Bozeman (6'2", 215 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Matt Smith - Belgrade (5'10", 215 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Kordale Behner - Stevensville (5'9", 215 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Luke Channer - Corvallis (6'3", 280 lbs.)

Out of the seven selections, only one comes from the AA ranks. Five out of the seven come from either Class B or C so I guess that is where you have to go to find the big boys! Let's get started with the East.

Jake Sessions is probably the #1 offensive line recruit in Montana. Here is what Colter posted about Jake from the Bobcat camp last summer: "Sessions was by far the most impressive offensive lineman I saw on Friday. The 6-foot-5, 270-pounder towered over most of his peers. He needs to work on keeping his hips low and he must improve his lower body strength if he wants to be able to compete at the Division I level. But he’s got long levers as former MSU offensive line coach Jason McEndoo used to always say. He has a good, strong punch and he creates separation with consistency. Sessions’ lower body will come along, particularly with his wrestling background. He was a state placer at the Class B meet last winter as a heavyweight." Jake improved his get-off at the line his senior year and he definitely got stronger. Like Colter predicted, Sessions lower body has come along. Sessions is a Montana State commit, an All-State Class B selection, and was selected to
the GFT Super-State team as an OG. Good luck Jake!

Devin Maua has steadily improved since his sophomore season when he started for Billings Senior as a linebacker. He turned into one of the more dominant defensive (and offensive) lineman in Class AA by his senior season. His senior season was a dandy. His strength really improved. He also played both ways as a first team all-state offensive tackle. He hits like a ton of bricks (go to 3:40 on his highlight tape). He was one of the star players at the Bobcats summer camp last year. Colter reported he could really improve his stock by having a good senior season and Devin did that. MSU has offered, I just don't know how much. Devin was selected to the GFT Super-State team as an OL and was AA All-State. He's a good player who could turn into a promising DT.

Denver Krone is an All-State Class B player from Choteau. He plays physical with a good punch off the line. They pulled him a lot during his career at Choteau and with great success. Denver is also a great heavyweight wrestler for the Bulldogs. He definitely has a future as a frontier player. At the Class B level, he was always one of the better players on the field. Again, the East wants to run the ball and Denver can get in there and get after it.

Micah Holt-Seavy is an All-State guard from the Billings Central Rams. He was a force on the inside for the past two seasons. He is a 6'4" kid who has just started to grow into his frame. Micah has the potential to add on about 40 more pounds. He is built a lot like Dylan Mahoney coming out of high school. Regardless, he is a good football player who plays with good effort. I don't know if he has a future as a football player but he definitely has the frame to put on more pounds.

Chase Barta will be the leader on the interior line for the West. The first word that should pop into your mind while watching Chase's tape is "physical." He plays right guard and he was the leader of the offensive line for Manhattan. Has a strong base to his frame and plays with a decent pad level. One of the best things about Chase is he likes to finish! Pancakes are being cooked up all over the place on his highlight film. His feet are good and he plays with good balance which makes him a stellar defensive tackle as well. I see his position as an offensive player in college which leads me into his weaknesses. McEndoo was the one first recruiting him but then Eck stopped because of Chase's height. In the time since, he has verballed to Montana Tech. He is definitely a starting NAIA lineman. We just got a verbal from a kid from California with Chase's exact same height and size. However, I think Chase is comfortable with his decision to play at Tech. Good for him!

Dustin Wham hails from Ennis, Montana. He is a kid that has really grown up over the past few years. His freshman year he was 185 lbs. and now he is at 265 lbs. At 6'2", he is a good guard prospect. Don't quote me on this, but I think Dustin will try to walk-on to the Bobcats if he doesn't get a PWO offer. He has been receiving interest from Tech. As a lineman, he dominates but at the Class C level, it is hard to judge just how good the prospect is based off the talent level. But if you have size, ability, and a competitive spirit, it is possible to make teams.

Brad Brazil was a big reason why Arlee made it all the way to their first title game in a long time. He has been an offensive and defensive line stud for Arlee his entire career and was All-State his junior and senior seasons. I'm not sure on his future in football but he plays his butt off every game going both ways. He is the lightest offensive guard selection of any team and hopefully he can hold up against some big defensive lineman in this game. Solid player.

There are five alternates at the offensive guard position.

The top alternate would have to be Josh Noah from Bozeman. Though he is listed as an alternate, he was selection to the GFT Super-State team as an offensive guard. Here was their write-up: "Noah, a two-year starter, earned first-team honors as an offensive guard. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound senior helped guide one of the best rushing attacks in the state. Noah has interest from several Frontier teams." Josh is a bit undersized compared to the rest of the guards but he moves really well and is a good athlete at the position. He also finishes his blocks in the run game. He will be the best alternate for the East in my opinion.

Jarred Hurst (#50 fouling in the photo) is one of the largest players on any of the teams. He is built like a bowling ball and played for Class 8-man Gardiner. Jarred was a two time All-stater as an offensive lineman. He is not the best athlete but he knows how to use his size to his advantage. He can definitely move people around and would be a solid alternate for the East.

Matt Smith (in the front row crossing his arms) is an alternate from Belgrade High School. A two-way player, he was an All-State offensive guard in 2015 and played well on defense as the opposite defensive end to Bobcat commit Derek Marks. He plays hard in the run game and would be a capable alternate. I like that he got some mention for this game.

Luke played guard for Corvallis. He added more weight prior to his senior season and he moves well for a big man at 280. He has a good release off the line and gets into defenders quickly, shooting his hands. He also does a good job of finishing his blocks. He takes good angles to get his defender turned. Luke does have position flexibility which is key for lineman. Luke has the tools and I'm interested to see how what happens to him or if he decides to play football. From what I see on tape, he has the ability to be a good college lineman. The only lineman that I was surprised he wasn't part of the selections.

The smallest lineman listed is Kordale Behner from Stevensville, Montana. Kordale was an all-state guard for Stevensville but he is only 5'9". However, he uses his size to his advantage by getting under lineman while blocking. For his size, he is built like a rock at 215 lbs. He also played linebacker. Kordale is also a standout wrestler.

Ranking the OGs:
1.) Jake Sessions
2.) Chase Barta
3.) Devin Maua
4.) Dustin Wham
5.) Micah Holt-Seavy
6.) Denver Krone
7.) Brad Brazil
8.) Luke Channer
9.) Josh Noah
10.) Jarred Hurst
11.) Matt Smith
12.) Kordale Behner

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:18 am

C

East: Matt Dey - Sidney (5'11", 260 lbs.)
East: Matt Packer - Baker (6'2", 230 lbs.)

West: Blake Arneson - Columbia Falls (6'1", 260 lbs.)
West: Steven Quimby - Whitefish (5'11", 280 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Mark Waldrup - Dillon (6'0", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Alec Akina - Bozeman (6'1", 250 lbs.)

The centers are a fairly large group in terms of weight. They are a good group of tough football players that know how to move people. The two starters for the West come from the Northwestern A conference and the East starters come from Sidney and Baker. Let's get started with the West.

Blake is your classic, scrappy center. He fires off the line really well for a center in high school. Blake shows good footwork in pass protection and usually wins the leverage battle in the run game. Plays too high at times but when he stays low, its a win. He also is a fan of going until the whistle...and maybe a bit after. In his highlight film, they show a few plays where he gets into it with another player after he blocks him to the ground. Blake has been an all-conference center since his sophomore season and was all-state his senior season. I think Blake is a good football player and he has a shot to be a good college center...somewhere. He is my highest rated center because of his mix of size and athleticism.

Steven is another Shrine game selection for State A Champ Whitefish. There is a reason they were that good. Steven probably won't play in the Big Sky due to his height but my goodness he dominated at the Class A level. If you watch his highlight, he just can move kids with ease at times. Sometimes he doesn't move his feet when he engages and uses his size instead, which works in high school but won't work all the time in college. Regardless, he was a stud in the run game on the defensive side of the ball for the Bulldogs. Steven also showed well in the pass game. He is definitely a frontier conference center. He is also a standout heavyweight wrestler. Him and Blake make a tremendous duo for the West squad.

Matt Dey comes from Sidney, Montana. The Eagles had a very good ground game in Class A this year and a big reason was because of that interior line which was led by Matt. He isn't the quickest off the line but I like that he keeps competing if he does get beat off the line when its a pass play. He will continue to block the guy out of the pocket. Like the rest of these centers, Matt is very good in the ground game and a lot of it is due to his size. He is also a sneaky athlete who is a good baseball player as well. Unsure of Matt's future but he was a good high school center for a good football program that has produced college athletes for decades.

Matt Packer was selected as a starting center but here is my beef with this selection. I believe Matt is a much better MLB and should have been put in that spot for the East over another Class B player, Antonio Lopez from Malta. This would have put Bozeman's center, Alex Akina, in the East lineup where he belonged. I have had my eye on Matt since his Junior season and he had one of the more underrated senior seasons in the State at MLB. He isn't the fastest linebacker but for a 230 lb kid, his instincts are off the charts. Just watch his hudl tape if you don't believe me: I also think he is one of the better tacklers in Montana. Why? He doesn't always go for the big hit when he could. Instead he breaks down and ends the play. I would not be at all surprised if Matt gets a PWO offer to either Montana Big Sky school. He definitely has the size and instincts to be a great special teams player. Regardless, for this game, Matt will be a great center for the East team. He competes with the best of them in the middle.

Two alternates for this game and one was a surprising player left off the East squad selections.

Alec Akina was a 1st Team All-State center for the Bozeman Hawks championship squad. Out of all the big guys listed above (with the exception of Packer because he is more of a linebacker), Alex is probably the best athlete of the group. He moves very well for 6'1", 250 lbs. However, I don't think he is as strong as Quimby and Arneson. He moves his feet well in the run game and if he gets beat, he keeps competing. Alec plays with good leverage against bigger competition. Akina did not play his junior season for personal reasons but he came back and was a key cog in the middle of the Hawks offensive line. I posted in Matt Packer's report why I thought Akina should have been selected. Here is a nice article on Akina's journey: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/sp ... 1be68.html.

Mark Waldrup (#50 in the middle of the photo) hails from Dillon, Montana. He was the starting center on the state runner-up Dillon squad. He is a "try hard" player who plays bigger than his size. Mark is the smallest of the center's mentioned for this game. He definitely deserved an alternate selection. Mark was an all-conference center in the Southwestern conference for the past two seasons. He made all-state his senior season. He is strong for his size and plays with good leverage. A blue collar player on a blue collar Dillon team, Mark would play his butt off if called upon as an alternate. A side note, he is also an outstanding tennis athlete (good feet).

Ranking the Cs:
1.) Blake Arneson
2.) Steven Quimby
3.) Matt Packer
4.) Matt Dey
5.) Alec Akina
6.) Mark Waldrup

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:19 am

DE

East: Balue Chapman - Bozeman (6'3", 195 lbs.)
East: Derek Marks - Belgrade (6'3", 230 lbs.)

West: Chase Benson - Helena High (6'5", 245 lbs.)
West: Cole Rosling - Helena Capital (6'4", 225 lbs.)
West: Chaffin Ross - Whitefish (6'3", 200 lbs.)
West: Kyle Schulte - Butte Central (6'2", 205 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Nick Huber - Dillon (6'1", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Stephen Lindsey - Columbia Falls (5'9", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Mitchell Odden - Deer Lodge (6'1", 210 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Jesse Dannels - Chinook (5'10", 200 lbs.)

This is going to be a fun group to watch during the game. A lot of star power here and the list includes future Division 1 football players. Unless Benson walks on at a FBS school, the four will all likely end up in the FCS. Regardless, the other two starter selections are no slouches themselves. All six of these defensive ends have received a "player of the year" honor in their career. Let's get started with the two East boys.

Balue Chapman was the Montana Football Gatorade Player of the Year in 2015. It was a close battle but arguably the most versatile player between offense and defense was Balue. He played both ways and was a nightmare on both sides of the ball for opposing coaches. His position in college will most likely be as an outside linebacker that will rush the passer but still be able to drop back and cover. I know Balue played defensive end in high school but realistically he could've played any position on defense. His "get-off" at the line of scrimmage is one of the quickest I have seen from a high schooler. It reminds you a lot of Bobcat great Brad Daly, there is no denying it. Balue is also very physical and great with his hands when engaging blockers. Can really turn the corner and dip his shoulder. He also showed well when dropping back in pass coverage. Weaknesses of his will probably always be his size and durability (played hurt a lot during high school). He will put on some weight in college and I see him being around a playing weight of 210-215 lbs. Balue was also one of the best running backs in the State where he split time with fullback Trace Bradshaw. Overall, a really good student, a really good kid, and a really good athlete. His tape is fun to watch on both sides of the ball and I'm glad he is a Bobcat.

Derek Marks is another defensive end Bobcat commit from Belgrade. Derek committed early last year and has held his commitment even though the Griz made a push on him this fall. He is another great two-way player that excelled at both tight end and defensive end during his high school career. He has been an All-State football player since he was a sophomore and was the Central A Defensive Player of the Year in 2015. Derek definitely got stronger and more physical from his junior to senior season and it shows on tape. His get off is quicker and he used his long arms way more often than in 2014 to engage and shed blocks. At 6'3", 230 lbs., he is one of the bigger defensive ends in this game but if you look at him, you can tell he can put on even more weight. His overall body still needs to get stronger (which it will). I'm very intrigued to see what happens to this kid when he gets put on a college training program. He is a tough kid due to the fact he played hurt throughout his entire senior season. A great athlete with a high ceiling at the next level, Derek should show well in the Shrine game for the East. Him and Balue make a heck of a starting pair at defensive end so good luck West OTs.

Chase Benson from Helena High has been my #2 Montana prospect since I started the list after signing day last year and it won't change. He is the most powerful defensive lineman Montana has had since Will Dissly two years ago. A good comparison for Chase would be either Caleb Kidder for the Griz or former Bobcat Taylor Sheridan. Just a big, physical kid who doesn't really have any moves other than the bull-rush yet. He overpowered most offensive lineman in Class AA as can be seen by watching his junior highlight tape. If I had to give him a knock, he at times needed to add in maybe a few moves or play a little technically sound in terms of pad level and hand placement. Another knock you can put on Chase is his durability. He has had some knee issues which shortened his senior season but he came back and still produced in the last half of the season. Chase will play defensive end in this game but his future may be at defensive tackle. But he also could be an excellent 3-4 defensive end prospect (think J.J. Watt). There you go I have gotten through this thing and I compared Chase to JJ Watt. Both Cats and Griz have offered and their is a possibility he may even walk-on to an FBS school. We will see in the next few weeks.

Cole Rosling was not a known commodity until he had a breakout senior season where he led AA with 16 sacks for the Helena Capital Bruins. His senior season earned him scholarship offers. Cole was voted as the Western AA Defensive Player of the Year. He uses his long arms well when engaging blockers, batting down footballs, and shedding blocks. He does not have the quickest get off but he can find his way into the backfield because he is so long. Cole's 16 sacks were no fluke either as three of them came against the Bozeman Hawks who may have had the best offensive line in AA. He is not a one-move guy in the pass rush department as he showed multiple moves during the season. Another high ceiling prospect because he is not a finished product who may just be starting to realize his full potential. Has room to add on weight onto his long, lean frame. Him and Chase Benson on opposite sides during the Shrine game... :shock:

Kyle Schulte (#54) hails from Butte Central and he was the Southwestern A Co-Defensive Player of the Year with Kyle Finch from Dillon in 2015. Kyle is a high-motor kid who had an outstanding senior season. He played a lot of linebacker in his high school career as well and moving him to the D-line in 2015 was a smart move for the Maroons. He dominated the opposition and he had a lot of effort sacks. Kyle had the second fastest get-off in Montana this year at the line of scrimmage (Balue was first). He has some nice pass-rushing moves to go along with his speed. He verballed to Montana Western last week to join his brother. Kyle should have an excellent college career as a defensive player and he is a borderline Big Sky prospect. He could have just as easily been a PWO.

Chaffin Ross is the 4th defensive end on the West roster from Whitefish. As if there weren't enough great pass rushers in this group, add in the two-time Northwestern A Defensive Player of the Year in Chaffin Ross. He is a long, wirey kid who can really set the edge. He is aggressive but still smart as a football player. He was good against the run and pass like the rest of the defensive ends on this list and had a great motor. Chaffin uses his long arms to his advantage and throws around offensive tackles often on his film. When I say he is aggressive but smart, I mean he doesn't play out of control. He was instinctive and knew his opponents weaknesses, at least that is what it looks like on film. I don't have him as high on my prospect list because of his size. He is tall but only about 200 lbs. I don't know if he is a PWO kid but I wouldn't be surprised to see him as one come signing day. Chaffin is an impressive football player and he can get after the quarterback. The four DE's for the West are very impressive. If the East plans on having that power run game, they should stick to it because good luck passing against these four. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches try to get all four of them on the field at the same time for a pass-rush package.

The West will bring three alternates at DE and the East will bring one.

Mitchell Odden is probably the best alternate for the West. He comes from Deer Lodge and had a great senior season for the Wardens. A two-way player, he lined up at DE and OLB on defense and was excellent at getting into the backfield at the Class B level. He was also one of Deer Lodge's top offensive weapons, lining up at WR and RB. Mitchell, along with the other three alternates, are a little smaller than the top six guys but they all play with high-motors are good football players. My friend who saw him play said he was always one of the hardest hitters on the field, every game. Mitchell was a two-way All-State player for Deer Lodge.

Nick Huber from Dillon is another high-motor kid. He was part of that great Dillon defense this year. An excellent pass rusher, Nick played with great technique (low pad level) and speed off the line (as did the rest of that defense...seriously they looked like trained machines at times). Even though he is only 190 lbs., he is strong for his size. He is a valuable backup for the West squad and can fit any defense. Kid just plays hard. Nick was an All-State defensive end for runner-up Dillon.

Jesse Dannels comes from Class C Champion Chinook. His linemate Kevin Young was the only player to actually be selected for the Shrine game but Jesse is just as good of a defensive lineman. An excellent wrestler, Jesse can turn the corner with the best of them. He always plays low and uses his wrestling background on opposing lineman. Jesse caused havoc all year for the Sugarbeeters and was a big reason why they went undefeated. I got to see Chinook play a game this year and it did not look fun to block Jesse. I'm glad the committee selected him as an alternate. He is the only Class C defensive end on this list. Updated: Jesse tragically passed away in a car crash in early February, a day after qualifying for State wrestling. His death has impacted many kids, coaches, and families on the Hi-Line and Montana in general. A great kid who lived life the right way, he will be missed.

Stephen Lindsey comes from Columbia Falls, MT. He and teammate Blake Arneson were the two All-State players for Columbia Falls in 2015. At 5'9", 190 lbs., Stephen was a terror on the edge. Also a running back, Stephen shows a strong lower body which made him harder to block on defense for taller offensive tackles. He was always low-man and it showed on film. In reality though, I think Stephen would be the last alternate up compared to the other two from the West. Regardless, Stephen is a good football player and when you look at every classes all-conference list at DE, he is a borderline top 10 DE.

Ranking the DEs:
1.) Chase Benson
2.) Balue Chapman
3.) Derek Marks
4.) Cole Rosling
5.) Chaffin Ross
6.) Kyle Schulte
7.) Mitchell Odden
8.) Jesse Dannels
9.) Nick Huber
10.) Stephen Lindsey
Last edited by VimSince03 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 am

DT

East: Joel Beck - Fairfield (6'1", 260 lbs.)
East: Trace Bradshaw - Bozeman (6'4", 235 lbs.)
East: Payton Guenther - Bozeman (6'2", 280 lbs.)
East: Kevin Young - Chinook (5'9", 210 lbs.)

West: Jake Michelotti - Butte Central (6'0", 245 lbs.)
West: David Peterson - Helena Capital (6'1", 220 lbs.)
West: Jake Rebish - Missoula Sentinal (6'2", 230 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Cody Howe - Kalispell Flathead (6'2", 225 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Tucker Maxwell - Lewistown (6'3", 230 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Colter Peterson - Joliet (6'4", 250 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Brandon Connoly - Laurel (6'1", 290 lbs.)

Looking at the DL selections for this game, you actually will see a lot of kids who played defensive end in high school. In this group, there are maybe three to four kids who could walk-on to a Big Sky school with one of those possibly being a scholarship player (Bradshaw). Overall, the list includes kids from each level so let's get started.

Trace Bradshaw tops the list of defensive tackles playing in this game. The Bozeman product was described by Coach Troy Purcell as "the best 3-Tech I have ever coached." The first thing that stands out to me on Trace's film is his tenacity. Plays football the right way. Second, he has good feet, evident by his 970 rushing yards his senior season for the Hawks (split duties with Balue Chapman). He does an excellent job of shedding blocks and hits the ball carrier hard. As a recruit, he has room to bulk up at 235 lbs. Put him on a college training program and watch out in two years. Also, DT is definitely his best position if he wants to play at the next level. A knock on him would be his "get off" at the line of scrimmage. However, once he gets moving, he flips a switch. In terms of high school, he is the best pure 3-tech playing in this game on either side. He has interest from both the Cats and Griz. I think both want him to be a PWO. Also has offers from nearly every Montana NAIA school. Trace is a good basketball player as well and just a good overall athlete. Interested to see where he ends up. He was the Eastern AA Co-Defensive Player of the Year.

David Peterson is another sack master from Helena Capital. He and Cole Rosling led AA with 13 and 16 sacks respectively. David played DE and DT for the Bruins and he was a good inside rusher. He plays low and gets a good pop at the line of scrimmage. Good at shedding blocks. Plays smart and patient on the edge and rarely gets sucked in. A good athlete, he was a first team DL in AA in 2015. I do not know about offers but wouldn't be surprised if he was a PWO at either school. Would be a standout recruit for any Montana NAIA school. A knock on him would have to be his size but he really was a true defensive end. The West will have an extremely talented defensive line in this year's Shrine Game and David only adds to that talent.

Joel Beck hails from Fairfield. He earned a Super-State selection as an offensive lineman in 2015 and was a two-way All-State Class B player. Joel starred as a defensive tackle for the Eagles, who probably had the best defense in Class B this year. Beck is strong in the middle, especially against the run. He was also a decent pass rusher though a knock on him would be his foot speed. Joel is a little slow as an athlete but if he would've played for a AA team, he would've been featured as a 1-tech instead of a 3-tech. At 260 lbs., he rarely got knocked off the ball in the run game. Joel is an experienced lineman on either side of the ball and he has a bright future in the Frontier conference.

Jake Rebish is a nice looking defensive lineman from Missoula Sentinel. He was a solid two-way player for the past two years and he is a high-motor lineman. Gets after it in the pass-rush department and is gritty against the run. He is actually very similar to his former teammate Byron Rollins (current Bobcat) in terms of playing style. Both are not very fluid athletes but they play with good technique and are strong kids. Jake was a second team All-State selection on both sides of the ball in 2015 and got mention in 2014. He is a lunch pail kid who gives high effort every snap. Jake is interested in walking on at Montana State.

Jake Michelotti is another good defensive lineman from Butte Central. He is a stout lineman who is very strong in the middle. You can really tell why Butte Central made it to the A championship game in 2014 when Jake was a junior. So many good football players in the last two years from that program. Jake is just another kid that plays football very physical and can control the line of scrimmage. I thought he could've used his hands better while watching his tape but his strength helped him overcome. Another kid that has gotten some interest from the Big Sky but he will most likely be playing in the Frontier. Putting him, Peterson, and Rebish in the middle for the West gives them a good mix of pass-rush and run defense experience. Jake was an All-state DT for the Maroons in 2015 and 2014.

Peyton Guenther (shown on far left) is the biggest DT playing in this game and he is a true 1-tech noseguard. No wonder why Bozeman had such a good defense. Did those linebackers ever get blocked with that defensive line in front of them? Peyton does nothing special in the pass-rush department but he never had to because he was a monster against the run. Took on two blockers quite often his senior year which just opened up his teammates to make plays. He was a First-Team All-State DT for Bozeman in 2015. I have him ranked ahead of Joel Beck because as a noseguard he is just a bit bigger and faster than Beck. The East squad starting lineup will most likely look like: Derek Marks and Balue Chapman at DE and Guenther and Bradshaw on the inside.

Kevin Young (#54 in photo) is the lone Class C defensive tackle in this crop of selections. He comes from State C champ Chinook and Kevin is the only non-alternate selection from Chinook. I was surprised he got selected because of his size but either him or alternate Jesse Dannels deserved a chance to play in this game from Chinook. Kevin, like Jesse, was part of a very good offensive and defensive line for the State C champs. Don't let his size fool you because he will be in the backfield before you blink. Kevin is one of those quick inside players on the defensive line that offensive lineman hate to block. Sporting a beard all year, Kevin played like a man among boys ever since they lost the State Championship to Wibaux in 2014. He is also a standout wrestler. For his career, Young had a total of 37.5 sacks, which is a Chinook school record (including 15 his senior season). Excited to see what he can do in this game.

Colter Peterson is one of two East alternates and is from Joliet, Montana. Colter is one of the largest DT's listed and he is a good overall defensive lineman. He lined up at end and tackle for Joliet and wreaked havoc on the inside all season in 2015. He was an all-conference Class B football player his junior and senior season and signed with Dickinson State last week as an offensive lineman. Would be a great noseguard alternate if Peyton Guenther wasn't able to play in this game.

Cody Howe is the lone West alternate, hailing from Kalispell Flathead. Cody was a disruptive force on the Braves defensive line all-season. Coach Samson loved Cody as a defensive lineman, praising him after their game against CMR this year: “Our defense controlled the game,” Samson said. “(Cody) Howe just did a tremendous job. He was in the backfield the whole game.” Cody will be a perfect alternate for the aggressive West defensive line if called upon. He was a Second Team All-State defensive tackle for Flathead and is a current Montana Tech verbal in Chuck Morrell's 2016 recruiting class.

Another good noseguard option would be big Brandon Connolly from Laurel. He was an Eastern A All-Conference player who can plug up the middle with the best of them. He is a little less athletic than the noseguards on this list but still you can't teach 290 lbs.

Tucker Maxwell is the other East alternate and he comes from Lewistown (Fergus High School). Tucker was actually an All-State offensive lineman and defensive end for the Golden Ealges in 2015 but he will move inside for the Shrine Game. As a pass-rusher, he has a high-motor who got a lot of his sacks based off of pure effort. Tucker has gotten interest from schools across the state and rightfully so because he has decent frame to build upon to be a good defensive lineman or even a tight end in college. A quality alternate for the East.

Ranking the DTs:
1.) Trace Bradshaw
2.) David Peterson
3.) Jake Michelotti
4.) Jake Rebish
5.) Peyton Guenther
6.) Joel Beck
7.) Kevin Young
8.) Colter Peterson
9.) Cody Howe
10.) Brandon Connolly
11.) Tucker Maxwell

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:21 am

MLB

East: Payton O'Reilly - Bozeman (6'2", 220 lbs.)
East: Jayson Leinwand - Billings West (6'1", 225 lbs.)
East: Antonio Lopez - Malta (5'10", 205 lbs.)

West: Trevor Larson - Helena Capital (6'0", 190 lbs.)
West: Trase LeTexier - Jefferson (6'4", 230 lbs.)
West: John Learn - Kalispell Glacier (6'3", 210 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Sean Gallagher - Anaconda (5'10", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Logan Wilson - Kalispell Flathead (5'10", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Jake Bloom - Simms (6'2", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Lane Giovanetti - Miles City (6'0", 205 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Hunter Severson - Sidney (6'1", 240 lbs.)

Payton O'Reilly was the Defensive Player of the Year in AA in 2015 out of Bozeman. Great athlete. His tape isn't quite as good as Grant Collins a few years ago but he shows a great combination of size and speed. Can run sideline to sideline as he is great in pass coverage, showing good hands (1st Team AA Tight End). His junior year, the Hawks blitzed him often right up the middle but his senior year, he definitely did a bit of everything. Really became a better overall linebacker. Payton is a good tackler who flies to the ball in the run game. The only knock I have on Payton is that he can get caught over-pursuing which is a trait of an aggressive linebacker. He got better at it his senior year but he still got caught a few times. His recruitment has been very private. The Cats have shown consistent interest but Colter reported that the Cats had not offered O'Reilly and that he was keeping his offers between him and his family. He most likely has offers from NAIA schools, possibly Montana, and even possibly PWO offers to Colorado State, Wyoming, or Utah. Regardless, he is the best MLB in my opinion in this crop and he has the film to prove it. A really good football player.

Trase LeTexier is a three time All-State MLB from Jefferson High School in Boulder, MT. Trase has dominated Class B for nearly three years and he has barely missed a snap. His film shows a linebacker who plays downhill and strikes the ball carrier with ferocity. He does a good job of shedding blocks and not losing the running back, always keeping his head up. Trase has good instincts in pass coverage and plays hard until the whistle. The knock I have on him is his speed. He is a step slower when compared to a kid like O'Reilly. His hips are a little stiff which I think are going to hurt him at the next level if he plays linebacker. I think Trase's future is at defensive end and it will be a bright future! A major Griz fan and current Griz PWO commit, I'm glad Trase said the Griz were looking at him at MLB or DE for college. The kid is strong as an ox and can add on about 20 more lbs. to get up to about 250, which would make an excellent defensive end in college. He could increase his speed and play MLB for the Griz. However, his tape compares a lot to Tucker Schye, the current Griz DE who moved to the position from MLB. Regardless, I could almost guarantee Trase will be a force for the West in the Shrine Game especially with the defensive line that is playing in front of him. The East will want to pound the rock and I can't wait to see a Trase LeTexier-Andrew Grinde collision.

Jayson Leinwand is another run-stuffing, playmaker coming from Billings West. A starter since he was a sophomore, he was a first team All-State MLB in AA and was also a talented tight end. Jayson excels against the run and his stocky frame helps him in this department. He is a step slower than O'Reilly and maybe even a little slower than LeTexier but he can still run sideline to sideline. Leaves it all on the field. Jayson has gotten interest from the Griz but I do not know about any offer. I personally think his only position in college would be if he beefed up to become a defensive tackle or a fullback (which the Griz do not have). Jayson may have a future in baseball as he is a stud on the diamond. He has also received a ton of interest from NAIA schools. A good player to pair with O'Reilly.

Trevor Larson (#34 on left) is the final West MLB. He was a First Team All-State AA MLB for Helena Capital and he is by far the fastest linebacker in this group and possibly the fastest overall linebacker. Trevor is a tremendous athlete who flies around the field with ease. He is the lightest linebacker of the group but he still lights kids up in the hole. He almost translates better as a safety at the next level. I feel like the only reason he played MLB at Capital was because he was such a good athlete and their best tackler. One of his shining moments in 2015 came against Bozeman, where he had to take on 235 lb. Trace Bradshaw in the hole as a linebacker and he held his own. It showed how willing of a tackler he really was because every time a kid tackled Trace this year, it was a business decision. I'm impressed with Trevor as he would be a special teams nightmare. I would also guarantee he makes a big play in this game for the West.

John Learn is a Kalispell Glacier product. He earned Second Team All-State honors at MLB for the Wolfpack. John's game is more comparable to Payton O'Reilly's as he is a better cover guy than some of the bigger guys on the list like LeTexier and Leinwand. He has a lean, athletic frame and runs well for a MLB. He wasn't as downhill of a linebacker as some of the top guys but he was still very willing to stick his head in there and lay down a hit. Kalispell has produced so many good football players over the past three years and John is definitely a part of that list.

Antonio Lopez is the other Class B player selected and he comes from Malta. Antonio, a two time All-State selection, is the shortest of the group of MLB selections but he was no stranger to making big hits. Watch one minute of his film and you see a kid who flies all over the field, making big hits and key tackles from his MLB spot. He was also one of Malta's best offensive lineman the past few seasons, even though he was undersized. Antonio is a very good wrestler for the Mustangs and it shows when he plays linebacker. In my Center breakdown, I stated that Matt Packer should have been selected at MLB instead of Center and replaced Antonio but that still doesn't mean the East isn't getting a good player. That was just me getting greedy with the East roster. Antonio is a solid football player from a program that has put out college level players for decades.

The alternates are spread between all classes. Any of these guys could plug in and make big plays for their respective squads.

Jake Bloom has arguably been Simms' best overall football player since his sophomore season and he helped revive that program four years ago with former Bobcat coach Joe O'Brien. Jake is long athlete who was a workhorse on both sides of the ball. He was always around the football from his linebacker spot. Showed good instincts in several facets of the game and earned a Great Falls Super-State selection at MLB in 2015. He has a ton of room to put on weight and he has gotten looks from both in-state Big Sky schools. His most likely destination is in the Frontier conference. A good football player and I hope he somehow gets a shot to show he can play with the big boys in this game.

Hunter Severson (#57 on far right) is from Sidney, Montana. I felt Hunter played out of position at MLB for the Eagles the past few years because of his large, lumbering size and strength. He would have been a rock on the defensive line but the Sidney coaches thought differently. Anyway, Hunter put quarterbacks and running backs on the ground throughout his career. His highlight tape is full of bone crushing hits where he just goes all out into offensive players. Hunter would definitely have a Division 1 scholarship in hand if he wasn't so slow at his position. He was great in the run game up the middle but on the edge and in the pass game, he struggled because of his speed. He was an All-Stater at OG and MLB in Class A and also a stud wrestler. I actually think he could have a shot at the next level as an offensive guard or defensive tackle. Hunter was only an alternate for this game but he has one of the best highlight tapes from a Montana football player if you enjoy big hits.

Lane Giovanetti was a FB/MLB for the Miles City Cowboys. It is really too bad he was left off the selection list because he was so important to that Cowboys football team his senior year. Was a high-motor player who flew around the field at MLB. Lane is a big time wrestler as well. I think he has a future in the Frontier conference as several programs have been after him. Would be a stud fill-in for the East squad.

Logan Wilson is a West Alternate from Kalispell Flathead. The Braves MLB led a resurgent team all year from his inside linebacker position. Although a bit undersized, Logan played great against the run and pass and was a sideline-to-sideline type player. Another wrestling standout, Logan wins his battles by using great leverage in run support. Can really get under guys and make tackles.

Sean Gallagher comes from Anaconda. They had to move down to Class B this past year and made the playoffs. Sean was the leader of their team as a running back and middle linebacker. Like Logan Wilson, he wasn't the biggest kid but he is a great athlete who is always around the ball. Has good instincts from his MLB position and deserved to be mentioned with the rest of these great MLB's.

Ranking the MLBs:
1.) Payton O'Reilly
2.) Trase LeTexier
3.) Jayson Leinwand
4.) Trevor Larson
5.) John Learn
6.) Antonio Lopez
7.) Jake Bloom
8.) Hunter Severson
9.) Lane Giovanetti
10.) Logan Wilson
11.) Sean Gallagher

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:22 am

OLB

East: Michael Jobman - Huntley Project (6'4", 215 lbs.)
East: Ed Baker - Billings Senior (6'1", 200 lbs.)
East: Trent Schilling - Sidney (6'0", 220 lbs.)
East: Luke Weber - Forsyth (5'10", 180 lbs.)

West: Patrick Big Sam - Arlee (6'1", 180 lbs.)
West: Kyle Finch - Dillon (6'4", 215 lbs.)
West: Riley Lamb - Helena Capital (6'0", 185 lbs.)
West: Jace Lewis - Townsend (6'1", 210 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Jory Breen - Missoula Sentinel (6'0", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Seamus Lucostic - Missoula Big Sky (6'2", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Justin Peterson - Butte (6'1", 200 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Bennett Askelson - Billings Senior (6'0", 185 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Brock Behan - Bozeman (6'2", 200 lbs.)

The outside linebacker group has four players from the B-C levels and four from AA-A. They are all sideline-to-sideline players so I'm not going to include that in my reports. The crop is split between true outside linebackers and hybrid DE/OLB types. There is some Big Sky level talent in this group so let's dig in.

Michael Jobman was one of the more sought after recruits in Montana this year, garnering offers from the Griz and Bobcats and possibly the Wyoming Cowboys. I counted on Twitter that six Griz coaches were following him including Bob Stitt (which implies he was wanted). The MSU Ag program helped win the Bobcats a stud in-state recruit. He lined up and played everywhere for the Red Devils this year and helped lead them to the Championship game for the second consecutive year. He can make quick cuts and is a smooth athlete for his size. He has a ton of room to put on weight as his upper body hasn't quite developed yet. That is what makes Michael such an exciting prospect. You can mold him into any number of positions depending on what fits your scheme. We should be very excited to get a verbal from a player like Jobman because he is so versatile. He will start his journey on the Bobcats defensive line and in this game he will be an outside linebacker. He was a two time All-State selection for the Red Devils.

Kyle Finch was the Southwestern conference Co-Defensive MVP in Class A this year for Dillon. After playing defensive end as a junior, he kicked out to OLB for Dillon his senior season. Kyle plays with great technique and has a good punch when engaging blockers. You can tell he is strong for his age. Has quick feet and should be able to be an outstanding defensive end at the next level. Overall, Kyle is a good football player who has "quick twitch" athleticism. I know he is a big Griz fan but we have had some success in Dillon over the past four years and Ty Gregorak's departure changed things. I expect him to go to the Griz if they offer BUT he has gotten heavy interest from Montana State and I think both schools are trying to get him as a PWO. I know MSU already has two good defensive end recruits in Jobman and Marks but Kyle is my darkhorse "future best player" in this class.

Jace Lewis is a great linebacker prospect from Townsend. He was the leader of the Bulldogs for essentially three years and played QB and LB. Led them to a State B championship his junior year and was a GFT Super-State choice at OLB as a junior. Jace was a good, competitive QB but his future was always on the defensive side of the ball. If you have watched football, you may notice guys who seem to always be in on the play or just have a knack for being around the ball. Jace is that type of player. He has good size for the OLB position and his foot speed should get better on a college training program. Jace is also a slippery linebacker in that he is tough to block, as shown on film. He can make plays on the outside in pass coverage and I see him as that type of player in college...a playmaker. If he was a little quicker, Jace would be a safety prospect no doubt. Another underrated thing about Jace's game is that he is one of the more physical players in this class. His quarterback image goes away when he plays defense. A Griz PWO commit, Jace was All-State three times during high school.

After those top three, the list drops off a bit in terms of Big Sky potential but the rest of these kids are excellent high school linebacker.

Riley Lamb is an athlete who played OLB for Helena Capital. Pairing him with Trevor Larson made for the fastest linebacker unit in AA and the state of Montana. Only 185 lbs., Riley was tough against the run and the best cover linebacker out of this entire class. His films proves all this. I'm glad they gave him First Team AA this year because he absolutely deserved over some of the heavier linebackers mentioned. Reminds me a little of Mac Bignell (who was a safety coming out of high school). I'm going to pay attention to Riley's career and see how he develops because I think he is very underrated as a linebacker.

Luke Weber may be known more for his wrestling career. Hailing from Forsyth, here is a direct quote from Luke on how he plays football: “When I go to hit someone, it’s like, ‘I’m going to run you over. It doesn’t matter what you’re thinking, I’m going to run you over. And you can hang on, but I’m going to drag you because I know I’ve put in the work — all the effort, all the sweat, blood and tears — that you’re not going to drag me down. It’s going to take three or four of you to bring me down.” He is talking about being a running back but his wrestling technique and determination show on the defensive side of the ball. Luke can tackle a running back in the backfield in the blink of an eye, shooting through the line. He and Riley Lamb have very comparable games but Riley got the nod over Luke because Riley is a bit better in pass coverage. He and Luke are two undersized guys who are tackling machines.

Ed Baker was a stud linebacker for Billings Senior in 2015. He was a second team AA All-State selection at MLB but he will play OLB in the Shrine game. Ed excels in the tackling department and can also make plays on the outside. His hips aren't as loose as the top 5 guys which is why he moved down the list a little bit but he is still a good athlete. Ed also lined up as a receiver on offense for the Broncs.

Trent Schilling (#58 in photo above) is another large linebacker from Sidney. He and Hunter Severson made up the most physically imposing LB duo in Class A. Trent was more of a hybrid type LB who rushed off the edge a lot for the Eagles. When I saw his size listed, I was excited to see his tape and see a player that dominates but I came away wanting more from Trent. I can tell he is very strong and physical but he played with his arms down too much. Needed to do more to shed blocks and stop the ball carrier in his tracks, instead of 5 yards down the field. Regardless, Trent is still a good prospect as a rush linebacker who has the physical tools to be a good player in college. Like his teammate Hunter Severson, if he gets a clean shot at a kid, it is a devastating hit every time.

Patrick Big Sam is one of two players from the Class C runner-up Arlee squad (the other being OG Brad Brazil). Happy he made the list of selections because he is a really good kid who is a playmaker on the football field. Was hard to bring down on the football field as a receiver/tight end because of his will to not get tackled. As a linebacker, he covered some serious ground every game, making splash plays. He is a two-time All-State player that was one of the better athletes in Class C this year.

Alternates include:

Brock Behan (lower left corner of photo #32) caught my eye last year as a LB at Bozeman High. Another player like Kyle Finch who plays with good technique on the outside. Brock was a first team AA All-State OLB for the Hawks and it was well deserved. Good player who would be a great alternate for the East.

Bennett Askelson (#20 in photo above) was an All-State fullback in 2014 for Billings Senior and this year he was a second team AA All-State TE/OLB. He doesn't have the speed of Brock Behan but is my second best alternate because of his versatility.

Seamus Lucostic was an honorable mention All-State OLB from Missoula Big Sky. Here is the story on Seamus. He was an All-State player his sophomore year before suffering a serious knee injury during his junior year. He came to MSU's summer camp in 2015 and showed how well he rehabbed that knee with a standout performance. Here is what Colter wrote about him after that camp: "He’s explosive at the point of attack, has good reaction time and seems to read things well. He also seems to be coachable. He comes from an athletic family — his sister Kelsey plays softball at Montana — and he seems to have a good amount of potential now that he’s healthy." Seamus verballed to Montana Tech a few weeks ago and Chuck Morrell is cleaning up with some very quality in-state recruits. Seamus had borderline potential as a WR, OLB, or S at the FCS level.

Justin Peterson was another OLB/DE who could get after the QB and drop back into pass coverage. He was honorable mention All-State his senior year out of Butte. The Bulldogs had a down year but Peterson was one of the bright spots. He has a long, athletic frame that fits the pass-rusher prototype. Justin will most likely go to one of the in-state schools next year for football.

Jory Breen is another Montana Tech verbal in Chuck Morrell's 2016 class and he comes from Missoula Sentinel. Tech is projected him as a safety at the next level and I can see that by watching his film. He needs to get more fluid in the hips but he shows good instincts as a football player. Another good alternate for the West.

Ranking the OLBs:
1.) Michael Jobman
2.) Kyle Finch
3.) Jace Lewis
4.) Riley Lamb
5.) Luke Weber
6.) Ed Baker
7.) Trent Schilling
8.) Patrick Big Sam
9.) Brock Behan
10.) Bennett Askelson
11.) Seamus Lucostic
12.) Justin Peterson
13.) Jory Breen

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:22 am

CB

East: Kelly Murnion - Jordan (6'1", 180 lbs.)
East: Michael Stanton - Billings Central (6'2", 200 lbs.)
East: Kaleb Tocco - Billings Skyview (6'0", 175 lbs.)

West: Adam Jordt - Big Fork (5'10", 170 lbs.)
West: Joe Mueller - Helena High (5'10", 170 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Caleb Neth - Manhattan (5'11", 160 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Carson Oakland - Glendive (6'3", 175 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Tyson Carney - Malta (6'2", 175 lbs.)

This list may not have a FCS talent on it, but it is chalk full of outstanding track & field athletes.

Kelly Murnion is the lone 6-man player in the secondary from Jordan, Montana. A ranch kid, he may be known more for his track and field skills than his football abilities. Kelly and his brother Connor tried to will Jordan to a Class C title at State track last year but came up short to Ennis. Kelly runs near an 11 sec. flat 100m dash and can get around 50 sec. in the 400 so his short and long sprinting skills are there. He is also a good triple jumper and long jumper. As for his football playing ability, if you are fast in 6-man football, you are going to be very successful. We will see how Kelly can compete in the Shrine game. I was surprised he received a selection but you can't teach speed and Kelly has plenty of it. He was an All-State selection.

Michael Stanton was the star QB for Billings Central the past few years. His older brother Jacob was a Bobcat before retired due to injury last year. Michael plays a lot like his brother. He isn't the fastest athlete but is a smart player with good instincts. He had zero post-season honors in the secondary where he played safety and corner but the ability is there. I think he may struggle with the speed guys on the West team but he has the bigger body to play with a guy who has size like Jed Nagler. I'm glad the committee found a way to get him on the selection list because he may have deserved a QB nod because he was All-State at that position.

Kaleb Tocco (#11) comes from Billings Skyview. He was a two-way player for the Falcons and received honorable mention All-State honors at DB. At 6'0", he has good height to compete with the taller receivers of the West and he also has good speed. Kaleb struggles a little in run support due to his size but he isn't afraid to mix it up. Skyview lost a ton of talent from its 2014 squad and Kaleb kind of had to be the go-to guy for their offense and he performed at a high level. On offense he was more of an athlete as he was also utilized in the run game on sweeps and what not. Good player.

Adam Jordt hails from Class B power Big Fork. He was All-State as a junior but didn't make it as a senior. Was still an all-conference performer and Big Fork's top weapon on offense. Adam actually excels more on the tennis court. Doesn't mean he isn't a quality football player and one of the top defensive backs in the state this year. He actually has good tape, displaying strong instincts for the defensive back position. Adam has good speed so he can stick to his man well and good athletic ability to intercept or break up passes. He has taken his fair share of interceptions to the house during his career, showing good ability to read and jump routes. The correlation between his tennis footwork and cornerback skills is evident.

Joe Mueller is the top corner I have listed and he is from Helena High. Unfortunately, Joe got injured and couldn't play in the Bengals quarterfinal matchup against Kalispell Glacier this year. The team missed his speed and toughness on the edge against hard-charging Glacier offense. On film, Joe shows an ability to stay low out of his stance while backpedaling and loose hips while turning to cover. He makes plays on the ball when it is thrown his way and had good games against good AA receivers. Joe was a willing hitter in run support on a salty Helena High defense for the past two years. He definitely has a future in the Frontier conference and possibly a PWO candidate at both Big Sky in-state schools. Joe was a Great Falls Super-State selection and AA 1st Team All-State at defensive back.

The alternates come from the Class A and B ranks.

Caleb Neth is from Manhattan and like Kelly Murnion, is know more for his track and field ability. At State B last year, he took 1st and set the Manhattan school record in the 400m dash at 49.46 (beating MSU recruit Sean Opland by .03 seconds), took 1st in the 300 hurdles at 39.37, took 1st in long jump at 21-10.75, and was the anchor on the 1st place 1600m relay team. In football, Caleb's long stride at WR and DB helped Manhattan have one of the best offenses in Class B this year as he earned All-State honors. He is a good football player but just a way better track athlete.

Carson Oakland hails from Glendive, Motnana and is another good football and track athlete. He took home 1st place in the triple jump at last year's State A and was an All-conference defensive back for Glendive the past few years. The tallest corner listed, he made strides in 2015 and I thought he would be one of the selections out of the East. Overall, he is another good athlete with good height for the position.

Tyson Carney (#22) is the second Malta player mentioned for the Shrine Game. As a corner, Tyson gave the Mustangs a player who had excellent ball skills and it led to many interceptions throughout his career. He struggled a bit in the run game but overall a decent player. I thought his teammate Allen Williamson deserved a shot in this game but was not selected on either side of the ball. Tyson was All-State on both sides of the ball in 2015.

Ranking the CBs:
1.) Joe Mueller
2.) Adam Jordt
3.) Kaleb Tocco
4.) Michael Stanton
5.) Kelly Murnion
6.) Carson Oakland
7.) Caleb Neth
8.) Tyson Carney

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:23 am

S

East: Dallas Mack - Huntley Project (6'1", 190 lbs.)
East: Will Martel - Bozeman (6'2", 195 lbs.)
East: Tanner Mayer - Fairfield (6'3", 175 lbs.)
East: Connor Ludwig - Laurel (5'10", 160 lbs.)

West: C.J. Dugan - Kalispell Flathead (6'1", 180 lbs.)
West: Brian FauntLeRoy - Whitefish (6'0", 185 lbs.)
West: Jered Padmos - Boulder (6'1", 180 lbs.)

Alternate (West): Cal Hollow - Butte Central (5'9", 175 lbs.)
Alternate (West): Jake Willich - Kalispell Glacier (5'10", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Tanner Campbell - Belgrade (6'1", 190 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Bennett Hostetler - Bozeman (5'10", 180 lbs.)
Alternate (East): Lane Torgerson - Colstrip (5'9", 165 lbs.)

Nice group of safeties on both sides, including the alternates. Like the corners, not really any "sure-fire" division one talent here (mostly due to a lack of speed) but there are some potential walk-on guys that could develop. Four selections from the East so we will start there.

Dallas Mack (middle of photo; MSU commit Jobman is to the right) is a Class B All-State talent from Huntley Project. I've gone back and forth on it and I finally think that the kid has a shot at the FCS level because of his work ethic and instincts at the position. Dallas might be the best coverage safety of the group as he turns and runs well in coverage and can play center field well. He lined up as a linebacker often his senior year for the Red Devils because of his physicality and tackling ability. I have been vocal on the Montana Recruits page about Dallas's speed and if he has enough at the position to be an FCS player. It is the biggest knock on Dallas right now and, in my opinion, the main reason he never received a scholarship offer from MSU or UM. He has the physical makeup and football instincts to play the position well but as we all know, the next level is all about speed. But one thing Dallas doesn't lack is confidence and it will be interesting to see where Dallas ends up in a few weeks.

Will Martel (#4) is a AA First Team All-State safety from state champ Bozeman. He and fellow All-Stater, Bennett Hostetler, made up the best safety duo in Montana. Will can cover some ground from his position as he can read and react well when the ball is in the air. He is listed as the heaviest safety for this game and is decent in run support. Will's tackling technique could use some work as he comes in too high at times but his size helps him get the job done. He also has long arms that help his overall game in many ways. Will is a kid who might be a better linebacker fit if he decides to play college football. He will most likely be one of the starting safeties for the East in this game. Good player.

Tanner Mayer was one of the studs of Fairfield's Class B state championship team in 2015. He played QB and Safety for the Eagles and was All-State in both categories along with being selected as an GFT Super-State defensive back. Tanner has a tall, athletic frame and was good at scrambling in the pocket to make a play for Fairfield. As a safety, he had five interceptions his senior year for a very talented Class B defense. Like his East teammate Dallas Mack, Tanner can play centerfield well and make a play on the football in the air. When running, he has a long stride and can break a big one when he gets his hands on the ball. Tanner had two interceptions against Huntley in the championship game and both were when he was guarding MSU recruit Michael Jobman at WR. He signed on with Montana Tech as an athlete as he can play multiple positions.

Connor Ludwig (#5) comes from Laurel, Montana. He has been a starter for Laurel since he was a sophomore and was always one of their better players. Connor was the lone All-State selection for the Locomotives this past season at strong safety. He was also a good kicker. A fast kid who plays bigger than his size, he ranks lower on my list because of his size. Still a good athlete who plays the position at an All-State level. His head coach from Laurel will be the coach of the East team.

Brian FauntLeRoy is the top safety on my board. He comes from Class A state champ Whitefish. Brian was an All-State Free Safety in 2015 in Class A and he played the position like a linebacker. As an athlete, he is a little tight in the hips when he turns and runs with receivers but he has really good range for the position and, in my opinion, is the best in run support out of this group. Brian tackles very well and also excels in press coverage as he stalemates his receiver at the line of scrimmage consistently which leads me to my final point. He is the strongest player in this group and it shows on film with how he hits. Colter noticed FauntLeRoy's build during MSU's summer camp and he said Brian was absolutely ripped. Carroll College got a commitment out of Brian last week and the Saints got a good one. He has FCS ability in my opinion.

C.J. Dugan (#24 in photo above) is another safety from the Flathead Valley and he comes from Flathead High School. He isn't the biggest player in this group, but the kid comes up in run support like a downhill linebacker and has good ability in pass coverage. His physical style jumps out at you on film right away as he lays out a few kids from his strong safety position. C.J. earned AA Second Team All-State honors for the Braves from his safety position but I believe he would have had a higher honor if he was just a little bigger. The only reason he is down in my rankings is because of his size but the kid plays his butt off. The West have two physical safeties in this game in Dugan and FauntLeRoy.

Jered Padmos comes into this game as a safety from Class B Jefferson High but his elite ability comes from his special teams ability. Jered is one of the better kickers/punters to come out of Montana in the past few years (along with MSU's kicker Luke Daly). His highlight film is a 13 minute display of his abilities as a kicker, punter, quarterback, and safety. Jered is also a good athlete and it shows when you watch him play offense and defense. At QB, he was an excellent scrambler who could make plays out of the pocket and he displayed a strong arm. As a safety, he was good in coverage as his "quick twitch" athleticism helped him break up passes and get interceptions. Was also a good tackler on the edge in run support. MSU is getting not only a good punter/kicker, but a good football player.

The alternates are interesting because three of them probably should have been selected over a few of the players in the top 7. But I will rank accordingly as I have done with the rest of the position breakdowns: selections will be above alternates.

Bennett Hostetler leads the list of alternates and it really is a shame he wasn't a selection for this game. On the big stage, you probably wouldn't have found a more clutch player this year. His biggest game was in the semifinals against Glacier where he made two clutch interceptions (one the game sealer) and a touchdown grab in the first half to spark Bozeman back into that game. Bennett is a really talented kid who is a multi-sport athlete. Currently he is signed on to play baseball for North Dakota State. Kind of a kid that is good at every sport he plays. Bozeman would not have been in the state championship game with Hostetler, that is for sure. He was a AA First Team All-State safety along with teammate Will Martel.

Tanner Campbell comes from Belgrade. He caught my eye last year as a cornerback. Tanner really excelled in man coverage and getting his hands on footballs. They moved him to safety his senior season and I didn't think he was as effective and it hurt his stock a bit. Tanner is still a good athlete with long arms who is not afraid to hit. He has good size for a defensive back and would have probably made this game if he played that position this year. Tanner was an All-State safety for Belgrade in 2015.

Cal Hollow hails from Butte Central and he, along with Hostetler and Campbell, were just as good as some of the selections at safety. He is one of the more physical players in the group and it shows on film. He is a sideline to sideline player with a high motor who actually played a lot of snaps at outside linebacker in 2015. Cal also would have helped the West squad in this game because of his return ability. He is one of the better ones in the state in that category. Cal has good lateral quickness and shows a good burst in the open field as a receiver. He was an All-State SS for the Maroons in 2015.

Jake Willich (#2 in photo above) is one of the bigger safeties out of this crop and he comes from Kalispell Glacier. He was a AA Second Team All-State selection as Free Safety for the Wolfpack in 2015. A rangy athlete who was the last line of defense for his team. Like most of these safeties, Jake showed really well in run support on his film, making sure tackles on the edge. His game compares more to Will Martel and Brian FauntLeRoy and he is just a tad less athletic than those two but not by much. Another player that could play linebacker just as much as safety. Jake is yet another solid Glacier football player.

Lane is an alternate for the East from Colstrip. He is by far the smallest of the safeties in this group but he is a very good athlete with good speed. He plays with a lot of energy and was the Colts best offensive player other than MSU commit Jake Sessions (got to 3:20 to find out about the energy part). Lane was also a decent returner. Probably a better corner than safety, he got his hands on plenty of footballs from the safety position. Again, Lane's biggest asset would be his speed. He was a first team all-conference defensive back in 3B.

Ranking the Saftiess:
1.) Brian FauntLeRoy
2.) Dallas Mack
3.) Will Martel
4.) C.J. Dugan
5.) Tanner Mayer
6.) Jered Padmos
7.) Connor Ludwig
8.) Bennett Hostetler
9.) Cal Hollow
10.) Tanner Campbell
11.) Jake Willich
12.) Lane Torgerson

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:23 am

Specialist

East: Jamison Hermanson - Great Falls (5'9", 170 lbs.)
East: Kelton Bailey - Henry Wisewood, Calgary (6'1", 195 lbs.)

West: Michael Delaney - Charolo (6'0", 175 lbs.)
West: Ted Kubongo - Notre Dame, Calgary (6'1", 205 lbs.)

This is an odd category because many of these RB, WR, and DBs can all be return men and some of them are really good ones. I will rank the two Montana boys and list the two young men from Canada with their hudl tapes.

Jamison Hermanson is an electrifying slot back/return man from Great Falls High. He and teammate Maxx Sitzman (who I thought was snubbed for this game to not even make the alternate lineup) made up an underrated offensive duo of playmakers. Jamison does a good job of reading his blocks in the return game and he knows how to reach that next gear. As a runner, he is shifty and can break tackles often. Was a AA First Team All-State returner and honorable mention RB.

Michael Delaney was selected from the 8-man ranks as a returner from Charlo. An All-State football player, Michael has some wheels. At State C last year, he clocked in at 11.3 in the 100m dash which was a tie for 5th with fellow Class C selection Kelly Murnion from Jordan. Michael has been a good athlete for Charlo since he was a freshman and is a solid three sport athlete. In his senior year, his squad lost a 52-66 decision to Fairview in the quarterfinals in an offensive battle where Delaney accounted for all seven of Charlo's touchdowns. Explosive player.

Kelton Bailey (#21)
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4743802/highlights

Ted Kubongo

Ranking the Specialists:
1.) Jamison Hermanson
2.) Michael Delaney