Josh Huestis transfering to a prep school?

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Josh Huestis transfering to a prep school?

Post by mslacat » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Josh Huestis just finished up his first AAU tourney of the summer evaluation period at the 2009 Pangos Sweet Sixteen Tourney. I have posted on his performance on my blog, and he did quite well. I wrote a quick article on what some Internet sites had to say about it. It is still a little bit early so a few more should be coming out in the next couple of days. The real interesting thin that i noticed is that they listed his high school as Finley Prep school in Nevada. Finley is pretty well know school in the west that actively recruits players from through out the west but mainly Colorado and Nevada. There is a chance that Finley was listed to get around some AAU rules but I have heard rumors since the spring that Huestis may transfer out of Montana to California prep schools so I would not be totally surprised if it was true.

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

c.falls cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Josh Huestis transfering to a prep school?

Post by c.falls cat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 am

It would be a bummer if he transferred out of the state, I would like to see him play his senior year here. It could be an aau rules thing like you said, I seem to recall Osweiler having to do something like that when he played for his aau team from Portland.(?)

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 am

From ESPN

• Josh Huestis, a 6-7 senior out of Henderson, Nev./ Findlay Prep, is one of more interesting sleepers out west. Originally out of Montana, Huestis will apparently enroll at Findlay Prep. He has lengthy frame, solid bounce, and a nice touch out to 15 feet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=4320930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 am

:(

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:43 am

mslacat wrote:From ESPN

• Josh Huestis, a 6-7 senior out of Henderson, Nev./ Findlay Prep, is one of more interesting sleepers out west. Originally out of Montana, Huestis will apparently enroll at Findlay Prep. He has lengthy frame, solid bounce, and a nice touch out to 15 feet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=4320930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think ESPN may be jumping the gun here. Findlay has offered him a spot but he has not yet accepted.

IYAACYAS

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 pm

CPACAT wrote:
mslacat wrote:From ESPN

I think ESPN may be jumping the gun here. Findlay has offered him a spot but he has not yet accepted.
There used to be a rule, that it might or might not still be in effect, in AAU ball that to play for a club you had to be from the state it was based in or a state that bordered it. Thus if you wanted to play for a team in California you needed to be from a high school in California, Oregon, or Nevada. I have heard Derek Selvig and I believe Brock Osweiler had some problems with this rule when they wanted to play for an AAU club based out of Oregon. Again I do not know if this is still a rule, it was a year or two back.

I do not want to profess I know Huestis plans, but this rule came to mind when I saw Findlay Prep mentioned. All of the Internet sites that saw Josh this week end put Findlay Prep down with as high school but with some type of disclaimer, say it is yet to be decided. By the way I have also seen Josh name associated with County Day high school in Los Angeles.

BTW I have heard that some execptions to this rule were granted for Montana player to play for Washington Clubs in the past.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:32 pm

mslacat wrote:There used to be a rule, that it might or might not still be in effect, in AAU ball that to play for a club you had to be from the state it was based in or a state that bordered it. Thus if you wanted to play for a team in California you needed to be from a high school in California, Oregon, or Nevada. I have heard Derek Selvig and I believe Brock Osweiler had some problems with this rule when they wanted to play for an AAU club based out of Oregon. Again I do not know if this is still a rule, it was a year or two back.

BTW I have heard that some execptions to this rule were granted for Montana player to play for Washington Clubs in the past.
Actually, that is an NCAA rule for summer tournaments and it is still in effect. It is strictly enforced. Exceptions can be made for players from states that cannot access clubs in their own or bordering states or for other hardships. There is also a limit of three players from adjoining states, unless the team is from a metropolitan area that borders other states. I worked summer tournaments for many years in Las Vegas and this rule always required a lot of man-hours for NCAA compliance.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:08 pm

nevadacat wrote:
mslacat wrote:There used to be a rule, that it might or might not still be in effect, in AAU ball that to play for a club you had to be from the state it was based in or a state that bordered it. Thus if you wanted to play for a team in California you needed to be from a high school in California, Oregon, or Nevada. I have heard Derek Selvig and I believe Brock Osweiler had some problems with this rule when they wanted to play for an AAU club based out of Oregon. Again I do not know if this is still a rule, it was a year or two back.

Actually, that is an NCAA rule for summer tournaments and it is still in effect. It is strictly enforced. Exceptions can be made for players from states that cannot access clubs in their own or bordering states or for other hardships. There is also a limit of three players from adjoining states, unless the team is from a metropolitan area that borders other states. I worked summer tournaments for many years in Las Vegas and this rule always required a lot of man-hours for NCAA compliance.
Thanks for the clarification. I know in the past a lot of Nevada Kids have played on California teams, and a few Montana Kids have played on Washington teams (Bobby Howard comes to mind). Like I said I remember Derek Selvig having some problems with a Oregon team.

In any case, very selfishly I would really like to see Huestis finish up career in Montana, and then go on to play for my favorite team But we all need to follow the path that is best for our selves so what ever happens I wish him the best.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:15 pm

I would say right now it is more likely than not that he will be at CMR next year.

IYAACYAS

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey Mods

It just occurred to me that I may have placed this on the wrong board. Josh I do believe is a Montana State recruit, still this may be better suited for the "high school" board. Feel free to move it if you feel it should be there.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:51 am

KFBB in Great Falls reported last night that his mom was interviewed and said she has no indication that he will not be back at CMR next year and currently has offers from 7 D1 schools.

Sports is not bigger than life

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Just heard that Stanford and USC are both very interested in Josh.

Apparently coaches contact has been 1time per month. That changes to 2 times per week in August. I imagine that the phone will be ringing off the hook. While he is getting a lot of looks, it sounds like he has not ruled out MSU or um.

IYAACYAS

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:32 pm

It sounds like Josh will most likely be returning to CMR this fall to finish out his high schooling

http://mslacat.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:43 am

c.falls cat wrote:It would be a bummer if he transferred out of the state, I would like to see him play his senior year here. It could be an aau rules thing like you said, I seem to recall Osweiler having to do something like that when he played for his aau team from Portland.(?)
If he is good enough to play at Findlay Prep, he would be a fool to stay in MT. The exposure he would get from colleges by going to Findlay would blow anything he could get in MT out of the water.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:45 am

geogfather wrote:
c.falls cat wrote:It would be a bummer if he transferred out of the state, I would like to see him play his senior year here. It could be an aau rules thing like you said, I seem to recall Osweiler having to do something like that when he played for his aau team from Portland.(?)
If he is good enough to play at Findlay Prep, he would be a fool to stay in MT. The exposure he would get from colleges by going to Findlay would blow anything he could get in MT out of the water.
unless he is already recieving offers from bigger schools, which he is, and makes the decision to enjoy his last year of school with hif family and friends that he has grown up with. if that makes him a fool so be it. but he is still a high school student, and i'm sure he wants to enjoy it, hang out with friends, attend his homecoming and prom, and just enjoy his final year. he's going to play college ball no matter what, so why not enjoy being a kid along the way?

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

basketballp
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by basketballp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:14 pm

i dont know awhole lot about the kid except from what i seen of him in vegas. (and last year in highschool when i came to visit family) after seeing him play i decided to do a lil research on him and came across this. I used to live in montana ad played highschool basketball there before going to college in cali and though i can understand him wanting to graduate with his friends and being around family and stuff i dont think that is best if he wants to make it to the nba or dominate in college( which im sure he does) for the simple fact that the competition is horrible. Watching him in vegas i noticed that he can play the small foward position which he didnt play on his highschool team, which is good for when he goes to college, but hes is gonna be so far behind from playing against guys in montana who 1 wont be d1 players and 2 he will be playing the center because hes the biggest thing out there. And since he is learning to play the SF postion he will be behind once he gets to college compared to the other sf who would be playing that position in highschool and against better competion. Anytime you have a chance to go to a school like findley or oakhill where you can play the position you would play in college and against better competion you should take it. now this is just a arguement for if he wants to make it to the pros and not just be happy with being on a team at a big time college. If thats all he wants then thats great to stay home with family and friends and he should just decide to play at montana or montana state. but if you have the talent to eventually play in the nba( which i think he does though im no nba scout) then i think he should take whatever road that is gonna make him better and better prepared for highmajor college. now if he decides to go to prepschool or redshirt that would definatly help with him catching up to the other players and getting him more prepared for the sf position at a high major college but as of now after watching him out in vegas he looks uncomfortable handling the ball and being agressive off the dribble

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:01 pm

basketballp wrote:i dont know awhole lot about the kid except from what i seen of him in vegas. (and last year in highschool when i came to visit family) after seeing him play i decided to do a lil research on him and came across this. I used to live in montana ad played highschool basketball there before going to college in cali and though i can understand him wanting to graduate with his friends and being around family and stuff i dont think that is best if he wants to make it to the nba or dominate in college( which im sure he does) for the simple fact that the competition is horrible. Watching him in vegas i noticed that he can play the small foward position which he didnt play on his highschool team, which is good for when he goes to college, but hes is gonna be so far behind from playing against guys in montana who 1 wont be d1 players and 2 he will be playing the center because hes the biggest thing out there. And since he is learning to play the SF postion he will be behind once he gets to college compared to the other sf who would be playing that position in highschool and against better competion. Anytime you have a chance to go to a school like findley or oakhill where you can play the position you would play in college and against better competion you should take it. now this is just a arguement for if he wants to make it to the pros and not just be happy with being on a team at a big time college. If thats all he wants then thats great to stay home with family and friends and he should just decide to play at montana or montana state. but if you have the talent to eventually play in the nba( which i think he does though im no nba scout) then i think he should take whatever road that is gonna make him better and better prepared for highmajor college. now if he decides to go to prepschool or redshirt that would definatly help with him catching up to the other players and getting him more prepared for the sf position at a high major college but as of now after watching him out in vegas he looks uncomfortable handling the ball and being agressive off the dribble
that's a great open-minded anylasis. i was looking at it from the perspective that he has no shot at the nba. obviously he is going to grow as a player and anything is possible, but when i see this kid play, i don't think future nba player. he is a great talent. especially for montana. he's being recruited by a lot of schools, and will probably be playing big time hoops when it's all said and done. where ever he ends up, i'll bet money he doesn't start as a freshman. this is significant because as big time college player with nba skills would start as a freshman. i'm not bagging on josh as i don't know him, and have only seen him play a few times. but i think people are getting a little caught up, and his expectations might be a little to high. here's the flaw i see in your theory about needing to go to a private school to see better talent. there is no denying the fact that he would face better talent outside of montana. but montana kids get recruited from this state all the time to play d-1 ball and d-2 ball and naia. should every montana kid who recieves offers to montana or montana state go to california to see better talent? we need to remember that these guys are still kids. they still need to enjoy themselves and enjoy their family and friends. i think the only exception to this rule is if you know for a fact that you have nba talent, and are simply trying to put yourself in the best position to make the most money. this isn't the case for josh in my opinion. it would be a shame for him to uproot his life and his childhood for a couple good seasons at a big college when he could accomplish the same goals here in montana.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 pm

No way will he play center, not with Michel Swita (7 footer), and Cody Anderson (6'10) on the team for at least two more seasons. That might be the case if he went to Portland State or Sacramento State, as they tend to use more atheletic, 6'7" - 6'8" guys for the center positon. He will either play PF or SF if he decides to go to MSU or UM, and if he is as good as you say he is, he will dominate the Big Sky. Look at Rodney Stuckey - he dominated the Big Sky for 2 seasons at about the same height before moving on to the Pistons, and never played the center position. Your post reeks of not being informed about Big Sky baskeball. #-o

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

basketballp
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by basketballp » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

And i agreed with you 100percent whitetrash untill i saw him in vegas. before seeing him in vegas i saw a 6'7-6'8 athletic pf who was a very good rebounder and a very good shot blocker. In vegas he played sf for the first game then the rest of the games he played sg and played it very very well. you could see the potenial of a very very good player and pro in his game. it wasnt like some of the other players there who are projected pros because of there great athletic ability. he showed that he had the basics down pat as well as being a very good athlete. he out played everyone he matched up against a couple of which are ranked in the top 50 nationally. As far as montana players playing d1 i dont know many that are/have played high d1. montana ,montana state portland arent high d1. i wouldnt even call them mid major. ive looked at some of the boards and this kid is getting recruited hard by stanford,ok state,arizona usc i mean those are big time conferences and big time schools. the thing about nba talent with him is that im not the only person who thought so. when i watched some of his games there were some scouts from the scouting services saying the same thing ( the most common thing i heard was " man if this kid ever gets some good coaching he will be a nba player") and from watching him i can see that. I mean this kid went from being a center to a sf/sg in one summer of working out and went from being unknown outside of montana to being known nationally in 3 months. can you imagin if he went to a prep school where he can work on his sf game more and play against competition every day in practice( lets be honest is there any other d1 players on his team or any high major d1 players even in the state?. i look up montana basketball players being recruited by midmajor and up and the only name that ever comes up is josh huestis. As far as freshman starting to get to the nba there are some players who develop later because of position changes and i think josh falls under that catagory and i also mention prep school because when i watched him play in highschool i noticed his coach has him under the basket playing center the whole game and it would benifit him to be playing on a team where he will be playing the same position he will play in college dont you think? its rare i ever say a player has nba potenial and i didnt see many that did while in vegas but josh was one of them. there was actually one game where he played against a top 25 player and josh had 22 or 25 points double figure rebounds and a couple blocks. he scored with a couple of mid range shots, three pointers and follow up dunks including one off of a drop step on the top 25 sf( i just found out the kids name is tony mitchell)

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:10 pm

grizzh8r wrote:No way will he play center, not with Michel Swita (7 footer), and Cody Anderson (6'10) on the team for at least two more seasons. That might be the case if he went to Portland State or Sacramento State, as they tend to use more atheletic, 6'7" - 6'8" guys for the center positon. He will either play PF or SF if he decides to go to MSU or UM, and if he is as good as you say he is, he will dominate the Big Sky. Look at Rodney Stuckey - he dominated the Big Sky for 2 seasons at about the same height before moving on to the Pistons, and never played the center position. Your post reeks of not being informed about Big Sky baskeball. #-o
Just a point of clarification. I read his post has meaning that Josh would be playing the center position in High School...not MSU and because of the lack of experience on the perimeter he will be ill prepared to play the SF position at the D-I level.

I don't think anyone thinks that Huse is recruiting Huestis as a center.