Harlem Forfeit

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

pete
BobcatNation Letterman

Harlem Forfeit

Post by pete » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Harlem was forced to forfeit their game at the northern divisional. Click the link to see:

http://www.montanahighschoolsports.com/ ... php?id=258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Journal: Less Reading
www.http://wsjreview.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Re: Harlem Forfeit

Post by longhorn_22 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:58 pm

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo........................................what's the story? The backboard broke. How? Why did they have to forfeit?

pete
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by pete » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Dunk during warm-ups. Harlem is fighting the ruling.

More Journal: Less Reading
www.http://wsjreview.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Dunk during the warm up that broke the backboard. Apparently according to the rule they have to forfeit.

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Ahh. I figured it was something close to that. Thanks, guys.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 am

I'm going to play ignorant - where is the northern C at (this year?) Haven't followed C for some time, and I didn't recognize the gym from the video.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:19 am

Ponycat wrote:Dunk during the warm up that broke the backboard. Apparently according to the rule they have to forfeit.
When I was in high school; if we were ever caught dunking during warm-up, it was an automatic technical foul for each dunk.

I think a forfeit is justified in this case.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

BroncoCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BroncoCat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:31 am

KittieKop wrote:I'm going to play ignorant - where is the northern C at (this year?) Haven't followed C for some time, and I didn't recognize the gym from the video.
Cut Bank.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:26 pm

Northern B.

seacat85
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by seacat85 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Shelby, who was the beneficiary of the forfeit, just beat Conrad 71-65 in the Northern B challenge game to return to State to defend their title.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:Northern B.
Sorry, my bad :oops:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:54 am

I believe this would be the end to a very up and down career for AJ Longsoldier.

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 am

LTown Cat wrote:I believe this would be the end to a very up and down career for AJ Longsoldier.
I would say it actually ended long ago, as I don't think he played in more than 5 or 6 games for Harlem this year. More Drama in that program than at a middle school dance.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 pm

It is the lead story on Yahoo news as we speak. It is one of the top 4 stories you can click and read. Twice in one week that Montana has made yahoo news front page.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 pm

kcatz wrote:It is the lead story on Yahoo news as we speak. It is one of the top 4 stories you can click and read. Twice in one week that Montana has made yahoo news front page.

Damn. http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=922635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:10 am

The rivals story had to have been written by someone who doesn't know anything about basketball tournaments. To say that Harlem was tired saturday morning because they played Friday NIGHT and had a short turnaround Saturday morning is ignorant. Anyone knows that if they lost/forfeited their first round game the play Friday AFTERNOON and, after winning, played a team that lost Friday NIGHT and that other team had the short turnaround.

The coach also said he gave the team the go-ahead to dunk since other kids were doing it! If other kids were jumping off a cliff would he tell his kids to do that too???? that was an omage to all of our parents.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 am

vike_king wrote:The rivals story had to have been written by someone who doesn't know anything about basketball tournaments. To say that Harlem was tired saturday morning because they played Friday NIGHT and had a short turnaround Saturday morning is ignorant. Anyone knows that if they lost/forfeited their first round game the play Friday AFTERNOON and, after winning, played a team that lost Friday NIGHT and that other team had the short turnaround.

The coach also said he gave the team the go-ahead to dunk since other kids were doing it! If other kids were jumping off a cliff would he tell his kids to do that too???? that was an omage to all of our parents.
the problem i have is refs aren't consistent with this rule. i understand why the coach would give the go ahead(not exactly jumping off a cliff)to dunk if kids in games before them were dunking. i don't know if anyone here remembers the last aa state tourney in bozeman in 99 but i do. in warm-ups of the chipper, billings west was putting on a show. i swear everyone of their players but maybe one or two could not only dunk....but could THROW DOWN! i'm talking windmills, alley-oops, reverse dunks, off the backboard, 360's. etc! it was actually pretty sweet. and no technicals were called. but funny enough, the night before, missoula hellgate started the game off with free throws because danny faaborg was "attempting" to dunk! anyone who remembers him will recall he didn't exactly have hops, and dunks were pretty much hit or miss! anyway, my point is you never know when the refs are going to call this, and that's what bothers me. now you have ONE kid who feels like he let his team, his coaches, and his entire team down, and i don't think it's fair.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:06 am

whitetrashgriz wrote:
vike_king wrote:The rivals story had to have been written by someone who doesn't know anything about basketball tournaments. To say that Harlem was tired saturday morning because they played Friday NIGHT and had a short turnaround Saturday morning is ignorant. Anyone knows that if they lost/forfeited their first round game the play Friday AFTERNOON and, after winning, played a team that lost Friday NIGHT and that other team had the short turnaround.

the problem i have is refs aren't consistent with this rule. i understand why the coach would give the go ahead(not exactly jumping off a cliff)to dunk if kids in games before them were dunking. i don't know if anyone here remembers the last aa state tourney in bozeman in 99 but i do. in warm-ups of the chipper, billings west was putting on a show. i swear everyone of their players but maybe one or two could not only dunk....but could THROW DOWN! i'm talking windmills, alley-oops, reverse dunks, off the backboard, 360's. etc! it was actually pretty sweet. and no technicals were called. but funny enough, the night before, missoula hellgate started the game off with free throws because danny faaborg was "attempting" to dunk! anyone who remembers him will recall he didn't exactly have hops, and dunks were pretty much hit or miss! anyway, my point is you never know when the refs are going to call this, and that's what bothers me. now you have ONE kid who feels like he let his team, his coaches, and his entire team down, and i don't think it's fair.
And the refs were out there for both cases?

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 am

DCC2MSU wrote:
whitetrashgriz wrote:

And the refs were out there for both cases?
as far as i remember. basically it was after the fact that i remember parents and coaches talking about how silly it was for refs to t one kid up for trying to dunk while allowing another entire team to do it the next night. some pretty educated parents so i assume they were correct in thinking the refs were out there. also, i have seen instances where i know for sure refs were on the floor when there was dunking, so it isn't hard to believe that the refs were indeed out in both instances. not to mention in state championships it's common for the refs to be out on the floor far earlier than in normal games. i don't have a problem with the rule, just a problem with never knowing when it's going to be enforced.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcats » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21 am

Refs generally come out on the floor around the 15 minute mark. Before they come out players can do what ever. Once the refs are out dunking should stop or technicals should be called unless the refs don't see it. What constitutes as a dunk may differ between fans but actual snapping or hanging on the rim would cause a tech. If a player is able to throw the ball threw the cylander without touching the rim that is legal. Only during tournament time is a broken rim or backboard considered a forfiet. I would imagine it has something to do with availabiliy, maintenance, and keeping a schedule of multiple games. I don't know if this rule should be changed but I don't feel sorry for Harlem. They have tried to bend the rules multiple times within the last couple of years.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc