2017 Class AA Playoffs (Championship)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2017 Class AA Playoffs (Championship)

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... ket-AA.pdf

#3 Helena High at #1 Billings Senior

Helena High Key Players – QB Kaleb Winterburn (Sr.), RB Kyle Tabbert (Sr.), DL Caden Suero (Sr.), DE/LB Max Mader (Sr.), LB Conner Nash (Sr.), DE Jack Kinta (Jr.), WR Zach Huth (Sr.), WR/FS Emmett Buckley (Sr.), SS Alex Johnson (Jr.), RB Grady Koenig (Jr.), DL Taylor Adams (Sr.), TE/DL Jacob Howell (Sr.), OL Brady Grigsby (Jr.), OL Holden Sampson (Jr.)

Billings Senior Key Players – WR/DB Gabe Sulser (Sr.), QB/LB Nolan Askelson (Sr.), OL/DL Garrison Poetzl (Jr.), LB Blake Allred (Sr.), WR/DB Ben LaBeau (Sr.), FS Micah Ans (Sr.), OL/DL Gunner Hegg (Jr.), OL/DL Max Evenson (Jr.), WR Colton Eliason (Sr.), DL Noah Christopherson (Sr.), SS Nate Conger (So.), RB Adan Trevizo (Sr.), WR/DB Carter Garsjo (Sr.), LB Alex Watterson (Sr.)
Billings Senior defeated Missoula Sentinel 49-7 (My prediction was Billings Senior wins 43-14)

Helena High defeated Helena Capital 30-7 (My prediction was Helena High wins 20-8)

Semifinal Game Recaps from Montana Sports:

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/11/10 ... mpionship/

http://www.montanasports.com/2017/11/10 ... ince-2001/
These two teams met in the second week of the season with Senior coming out on top 43-19. Senior QB Nolan Askelson was a beast as he went 12/18 for 235 yards and three passing touchdowns. He also added 46 rushing yards on nine carries for another score while adding an interception on defense. Senior WR/RB Gabe Sulser totaled 163 yards of offense (107 receiving/56 rushing) with a touchdown while WR Ben LaBeau notched seven catches for 112 yards and a touchdown. Even more impressive was Senior lead at halftime 43-12. Helena QB Kaleb Winterburn had one of his worst performances of the season, tossing four interceptions on 12/25 passing for 157 yards. Bengal RB Kyle Tabbert had a solid performance with 101 rushing yards on 24 carries and a touchdown. His 42-yard touchdown run in the 2nd quarter closed the Senior lead to 22-12 but the Bengals would get no closer. To Helena High's credit, their team has steadily improved throughout the season despite a few setbacks (loss to Flathead in last game of regular season). The biggest improvement has come from the offensive line in my opinion. The Bengals will again be without DE/OLB Max Mader as he is out for the playoffs with a leg injury (he didn't play against Capital). For Senior, they will continue to do their thing. Obviously, Gabe Sulser's health will be an important factor but Coach Murdock has instilled a great sense of mental toughness in his team and program. They didn't blink when Sulser went down last week so if Sulser does miss this game, I still am confident Senior will get it done. I'm going with the Broncs to repeat as champs.

Prediction: Billings Senior wins 38-26

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2017 Class AA Playoffs (Championship)

Post by Bemiller49 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

Helena had their chances, but title teams make plays when plays need to be made.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:02 am

Bemiller49 wrote:Helena had their chances, but title teams make plays when plays need to be made.
Billings Senior has had the most dominant three year run of any AA team since Capital won three straight titles from 2006-2008. They played in the championship game five straight years. losing to West in 2005 and CMR in 2009. Man, those three teams dominated AA for many years, but it appears those days are over. Does Senior lose a lot from this team, or should they be one of the top contenders again next season?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:36 am

John K wrote:
Bemiller49 wrote:Helena had their chances, but title teams make plays when plays need to be made.
Billings Senior has had the most dominant three year run of any AA team since Capital won three straight titles from 2006-2008. They played in the championship game five straight years. losing to West in 2005 and CMR in 2009. Man, those three teams dominated AA for many years, but it appears those days are over. Does Senior lose a lot from this team, or should they be one of the top contenders again next season?
They lose an incredibly gifted group of seniors. However, they will have several studs along the offensive and defensive line next year as they return most of their starting units. Nate Conger, a sophomore safety who had a very productive 2017 season, also returns.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."