The Montana Grizzlies Stink-It-Up in Portland, OR

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

neverplayed
BobcatNation Redshirt

The Montana Grizzlies Stink-It-Up in Portland, OR

Post by neverplayed » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:40 pm

Saturday night in portland was one of the worst examples of team preparation by the Montana Frizzlies :cry: Coaching Staff.

Frizzlies showed all of the class of a "Loser :( attitude, " from the beginning of first quarter to the last second of 4th quarter.

Hauck was totally outcoached and his players, particularly those on defense played their part in this fiasco to the hilt. The Special teams were particularly awful (Hauck has always prided himself on outstanding special teams play). How many punters on Championship teams "choke" against a mediocre caliber team like Portland State, and produce 3 & 5 yard punts, setting them up for "easy" touchdown drives?

Montana's run defense was pathetic!. You could have run a "6th grade girl's volleyball team" through the Montana Defense. Some of Craig Och's handoffs on running plays were even more pathetic. This game was destined for futility from the beginning of the first quarter.

Portland State was clearly the Class Team in this match. Hauck, again was outcoached, as usual.

Therefore, I predict that MSU will slaughter the Frizzlies come Nov. 20.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:11 pm

Don't count the Griz down yet. There is enough love and fan support for the Griz, they shouldn't be down for too long. Next week will, I think, be the determining factor for the season. If the Griz lose to NAU, consider this a rebuilding year. If they can recover from a loss against a team coming off a dry-rape, then they will still be considered a top team. Just my opinion, out of respect for the Griz program.

My opinion as a Cat fan is the Griz are done for, and I haven't looked forward to Cat/Griz this much in years. :D Cats obviously took a HUGE step forward Saturday, while the Griz took a sizeable step backwards.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:07 pm

Neverbeenloyal,
Wow, I believe that's a world record for jumping off the bandwagon. Will you be shooting for the next Olympics?

Where's the "go Cats" logo at the end of your message?

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:39 pm

Neverbeenloyal,
Wow, I believe that's a world record for jumping off the bandwagon
I was thinking the same thing meat. As big of a pain as this guy has been in the past few weeks I don't think we want him coming aboard our fast moving ship. I am sure the next time the griz win, he will be back in burgundy though so don't worry to much. :lol:

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:42 pm

CTOWM, how does 2nd place feel?

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:29 pm

CatfaninGA wrote:CTOWM, how does 2nd place feel?
Oh, now you're gonna start smackin' me. :)

I'm pretty much over the loss. I had no delusion that the Griz were going to go undefeated in the conference.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:32 pm

Wow. I expected a little more knowledgable posts out of the Cat fans. So the Griz lose their first conference game by three points and take a huge step backwards? Give me a break! You were 1 yard from losing to Portland State at home, and we lose a close won to the Viks on the road. You act like we got blown out by Portland State. You need a last second FG to beat Weber State while we won in a blowout. We both played ISU close and we both have big wins (yours over NAU and ours over EWU). Is this sheer bandwagoning or what? The fact that you beat the 'Jacks in a blowout doesn't mean anything to the Griz-Cat matchup yet. Last year Montana beat NAU 59-21 in Flagstaff. Last year Eastern beat the Cats 35-24 while Montana beat Eastern 41-10. Did it have any effect on the Griz-Cat game? I don't think so.

Like I said before this weekend, both teams have a VERY tough slate ahead. I wish the Griz could control their own destiny at this point, but we were in a similar position in 1999 after losing to PSU on the road, we still won the conference that season. Good luck to the Cats the rest of the way. EWU could be a close game or a long day in Bozeman. Montana will be up for the Lumberjacks and it will be a tight race in Missoula. Don't get ahead of yourselves yet.

GO GRIZ!!!

FTC

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:04 am

Nick -- the guy who started this thread was a Cat basher last week, so don't assume that he's a Bobcat fan. He just likes to gripe about everyone.

BWahlberg
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BWahlberg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:09 am

You 'Cats keep looking forward to 3 weeks, but you'd better watch out for EWU. They've got just as much talent as you guys or us.

But in truth, I am glad you are all looking forward to the "big game." Because it's going to be fun starting a new winning streak on you guys :P

One of my favorite quotes from a Griz player was a few years ago. It was the year after we kicked a last min. FG to beat you guys in your own house ('97 I think?).

"Last year was great beating the cats because after the kick was good, all the bobcat seinors were crying."

-Time for a new streak baby!

(Sorry about the smack, but I couldn't resist)
Last edited by BWahlberg on Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

eastcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by eastcat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:01 am

Don't even compare the cat's NAU game to the griz's EWU game. We blew out NAU 53-0 in the first half. The griz made a come back against Eastern because they messed up, griz didn't win the game, Eastern blew the game. Yeah they are a good team but i wouldn't put them any better than NAU, CATS or GRIZ. I think those four teams are at a different level in the confrense.

and RE/MAX your right....the streak has already started. 2-0

velochat

Post by velochat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:47 am

I hope we Cat fans don't give the friz too much bulletin board material. The Cats have a lot to worry about in Sacramento and hosting a very good Eastern team. Beat the Hornets and good luck Jacks!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:04 pm

Re/Max Griz wrote:You 'Cats keep looking forward to 3 weeks, but you'd better watch out for EWU. They've got just as much talent as you guys or us.

But in truth, I am glad you are all looking forward to the "big game." Because it's going to be fun starting a new winning streak on you guys :P

One of my favorite quotes from a Griz player was a few years ago. It was the year after we kicked a last min. FG to beat you guys in your own house ('97 I think?).

"Last year was great beating the cats because after the kick was good, all the bobcat seinors were crying."

I notice it is a quote from a 'few' years ago. It will get older and older as time passes :)

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:45 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
Re/Max Griz wrote:You 'Cats keep looking forward to 3 weeks, but you'd better watch out for EWU. They've got just as much talent as you guys or us.

I notice it is a quote from a 'few' years ago. It will get older and older as time passes :)
Yea, Griz fans keep referring to the past it seems.

I've heard a lot of
"NAU gives up big games, last year we beat them 59-21".
Last year indeed.
"Last year EWU beat you guys."
Again, last year indeed.

Hey Griz, the Cats are doing great right now, like it or not. Want some proof?
PROS
Lulay's last three games, he has thrown for 1,156 yards and seven touchdowns, with one interception. He is 6th in the nation in total offense per game, and MSU is now the 10th ranked passing attack in the country as well. Plus we are sill giving up just 19.8 points per game.
CONS
Scoring offense is still wanting, but I think we proved we can score last Saturday. Granted I don't expect to score near that many again, I think we are done with the 2 TD offense bit. Turnover margin still favors our opponents.

Seriously I haven't felt this good about being a Cat fan for a long time. I like where we are and like where we are going. We have a legimate shot winning out, but I feel we will slip up probably once. To whom, I don't know, but I just seriously hope its not Sac State. :D

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

Yea, Griz fans keep referring to the past it seems.

I've heard a lot of
"NAU gives up big games, last year we beat them 59-21".
Last year indeed.
"Last year EWU beat you guys."
Again, last year indeed.

Hey Griz, the Cats are doing great right now, like it or not. Want some proof?
PROS
Lulay's last three games, he has thrown for 1,156 yards and seven touchdowns, with one interception. He is 6th in the nation in total offense per game, and MSU is now the 10th ranked passing attack in the country as well. Plus we are sill giving up just 19.8 points per game.
CONS
Scoring offense is still wanting, but I think we proved we can score last Saturday. Granted I don't expect to score near that many again, I think we are done with the 2 TD offense bit. Turnover margin still favors our opponents.

Seriously I haven't felt this good about being a Cat fan for a long time. I like where we are and like where we are going. We have a legimate shot winning out, but I feel we will slip up probably once. To whom, I don't know, but I just seriously hope its not Sac State. :D
Hey bud, I actually used last year's games as an example (and actually with respect to the Bobcats) that nothing the Griz or the Cats do against other BSC teams matter. That's why in rivalries the old term "throw the records out the window" comes into play. I hope you do slip up against Sac State -- but of course I would say that :wink: ......Good lord I hope we put the hurt on NAU, our guys need the confidence it takes to win out at home.

FTC