Big Sky actually admits officiating mistake

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Big Sky actually admits officiating mistake

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:55 am

The Big Sky has actually admitted to a bad call by it's officials. This case is a bad block in the back penalty in the UM-ISU game. I am sure some of our Griz friends could elaborate on the bad call. From the Missoulian:

Big Sky admits error in Griz-ISU game

However, if you've got any grand dreams of them continuing this practice and possibly improving the quality of reffing at Big Sky games, think again:
Fullerton said its the third time since he hired Doug Toole to supervise Big Sky officials seven years ago that his office has made an announcement about an official's mistake.
WOW! Really? Three times in seven years? Man how is it that we keep these refs from going to the NFL? :roll:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:25 am

I wonder if they'd admit to a couple of the blows during the Weber game, or did anyone else see them?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:39 am

Two big one that I can remember. One was on a 3rd and about 5 and Blake Wolff was mugged. The call was made by the backjudge from about 40 yards downfield but the linesman, a mear 5 yards away, refused to call it. The other I remember was the "holding" call on Sullivan that brought back Justin's 50+ yard run in the fourth quarter. Eddie was at least 10 yards from the play and there was absolutely no holding that I saw and it was right in front of me.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:41 am

I never saw a reply or heard much complaining about it, so maybe it wasn't true, but I could have sworn that during the Cal-Poly game, that ball bounced off the receivers foot and we intercepted it, but they ruled it an imcomplete pass. Anyone else remember this play?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:22 pm

catatac wrote:I wonder if they'd admit to a couple of the blows during the Weber game, or did anyone else see them?
The Bobcats for sure got a lucky break last week on that aparrent catch/no catch call on the Weber WR. Replays clearly showed that he caught the ball, was lying on his back and then the Cats DB hit it out and made it roll out like he dropped it (smart play by DB I might add). That was a huge play for Weber and they would have been on the WEBER 40 yard line or so and could have kept the ball until the end and had a chance to kick the field goal. All the Weber coach could say (w/o getting fined) was ... we saw it on the replay ... what do you guys think?

But, all in all there are going to be missed calls in the league (Sullivan hold wasn't a hold at all! and that cost us a TD .. so it all works out).

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:46 pm

That block in the back was an amazing call. Even more amazing was that they took 5-6 minutes talking to each other about it, and still made the wrong call. Heidelburger running down the field if front of the ISU guy and gets knocked down from behind. Flag comes out....easy call right? It was wide out in the open and they still get it wrong.... :?

In the same article it says the Talmage offensive PI in the endzone was a correct call. This one was just as bad as the block in the back call. Tells me the people watching these tapes are full-blooded idiots.

Seriously, if they can only find 3 mistakes in 7 years, what does that tell you? Their high and mighty ego's won't allow them to admit when mistakes are made, unless painfully obvious. It's no wonder the refs won't get any better. They keep telling them they are doing a wonderful job.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.