TV Gripes

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

TV Gripes

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:50 pm

And as a general comment (especially relating to comments on eGriz, but also some on here), I am tired of hearing people ripping on the quality of TV coverage for the MT college teams. I say that mainly because I get no coverage of MSU or UM at all, and that really sucks compared to what many people do get. Montana is one of the smallest media markets in the country and it is nearly inconceivable that as many college games are broadcast as is, so to then complain that the broadcasts aren't of the highest quality appears to me to be looking a gift horse in the mouth in a huge way.

Again, this mainly comes from my frustration at not getting any of the broadcasts in my local area. Of course, passive comments on the quality aren't a big deal, but it seems like many people are seriously ripping on the production companies, which is silly. How much complaining do companies who can't be making much (if any) money doing the games have to hear before they decide that the cost/benefit just isn't there to continue?

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:56 pm

Most of us didn't get any TV of last week's game either. Only those hardcore enough to chase down some obscure satellite feed.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:17 pm

Good point. I guess my frustration stems from the opinion that shooting a game does not appear to be rocket science. Granted, everyone gets faked out on the handoffs, fakes, etc. on occasion - so when there's any doubt, go wide. I'd almost rather they just leave the whole field in view and let er run. Really annoying to watch a good, crisp closeup of Lulay taking the snap, backing up, handing the ball off, then doing whatever he does after the handoff. don't really need to see the closeup of him taking his mouthepiece out - I'd rather see what the running back is doing... 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:15 am

velochat wrote:Most of us didn't get any TV of last week's game either. Only those hardcore enough to chase down some obscure satellite feed.
Looks like Dish Network/Altitude is for sure carrying Big Sky Conference games this year and into next, so I would look into getting Dish Network if you can. They often have really good deals for introductory package deals (and no, I'm not a salesman). I just want all CATS fans to be able to see our team! :)

And yeah, the quality could be a little better, but at least I get to see the game! Good point!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:24 am

I have Dish Network, and got to see the game on Saturday, so i have no complaints.
As I've stated before, my gripe was with the previous week, where I could not find anywhere to watch the CSU game in Helena. Wasn't on satellite (which I have at home), and wasn't on cable (which I have at the office). If we want this program to reflect the statewide support that we have, we have to make sure that the game is available statewide.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:31 am

Compared to the past five years, this year is a HUGE step up in coverage. I mean, they originally planned to broadcast every Cat game this year, I believe, even the road games. They did CSU (except in Helena, it seems), and were scheduled to do ISU until Altitude wanted to do it and even changed the game time to better suit them.

Seeing how this is the first year of major coverage for the Cats, I am nothing less than thrilled at the coverage of the games.

But you all do make valid points, the actually footage and coverage is lacking, but we do get to watch a game we would certainly otherwise not be able to.

I do look forward to improvement as Omega starts (hopefully) to become more and more professional in their broadcasts.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

velochat

Post by velochat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:40 am

The best thing about the CSU game was the call of Dean Alexander. And the professional camera work, which was probably a CSU feed.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:44 am

Interestingly, the CSU game wasn't broadcast in Colorado at all, according to the paper down there. The TV broadcast was apparently done for Montana, only.

That alone is an interesting sign as to how fortunate MSU is to have the kind of TV coverage that it has -- we have it better than many/most 1-A programs.

Now if they will just get the games broadcast on channels that everybody can get access to....

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:50 am

Another reason I am happy that Altitude picked up the MSU games is just for the exposure to the west/nation as well. Hopefully Altititude will win their battle with Bresnan and get it put on as one of their channels so most people in Montana can watch them. The exposure we can get by having the games on Dish Network is HUGE!

velochat

Post by velochat » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:00 am

I have no plans to get a dish.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:16 am

Dean Alexander still does a tremendous job covering our Cats, but I've got to tell you, our "color" guys need work - both on TV & Radio.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most