Delaware to CUSA

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Delaware to CUSA

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:13 am

There are 160+ D2 teams out there. Why aren't any of them moving up?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:57 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:57 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:35 pm
aucat wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:17 pm
Might want to ask Idaho how well it worked out.
Or JMU. Or Boise State. Or Liberty.
We can play this game all day. Or Nevada. Or Marshall. Or Georgia Southern. Now you go.
Yes. Teams that have a high level of fan/institutional support do fine. And programs without that (like Idaho & Nevada) struggle.

MSU already puts more fans in the stands than most of those teams. Institutional (e.g. state of Montana) support is the only hangup.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:59 am

I still don’t get why FCS teams are so determined to bump up to FBS. Most of them are going to nothing conferences and will be forgotten about. I look forward to the playoffs and the opportunity to go to the famous potato bowl doesn’t appeal to me. The only way it would be semi-attractive is if both Montana Schools were invited to the existing Mountain West (which isn’t happening) or if the Montana/Dakota schools started conference and added a few Wyoming/Weber/New Mexico/Utah State type schools. I’m honestly surprised more teams aren’t trying to move into FCS. Montana and Dakota schools draw better than half the Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt, and it’s much cheaper to run a football team in FCS. To each their own….but I would hate to see the Montana schools make the jump into a garbage FBS conference just because everyone else is doing it.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:00 am

John K wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:51 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:40 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:34 am
Total attendance for all 8 FCs games last weekend was less than 50,000 and that includes both North Dakota schools which were less than half full. Excitement for this league of football is almost limited to UM and MSU it seems. Is it sustainable?
I think it's a very telling statistic that all 16 teams left in the FCS playoffs this year come from four conferences. The pool of FCS teams good enough to contend for a National Title is rapidly shrinking and nobody wants to be the last one left in the bottom of the pool when it dries up completely. Hopefully once WSU and OSU figure out what they're going to do there can be movement towards some kind of Western realignment involving the Montana and Dakota schools moving up to FBS.
It's nothing new, that the FCS playoffs are being dominated by just 4 conferences this season. The BSC, MVFC, CAA, and SoCon have been the 4 dominant conferences by far, for as long as I can remember. In the past you probably could have added the Southland to that list, but they weren't usually too competitive nationally, except for SHSU. Over the years, very few teams from outside of those 4 (or 5) conferences have ever made it beyond the QF.
I think the big difference is that the Southland has usually had at least one good team. Plus, the CAA is a shell of its former self.

And there was always one or two good teams (i.e. a seed) from a smaller conference.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:04 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:13 am
They are. 3 teams moved up this season:

Lindenwood, Stonehill, Texas A&M Commerce.

To say nothing of Dixie State, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Tarleton State...

The list goes on and on and on...

Its just that MSU should be playing teams like JMU, Wyoming, Utah State week in and week out.

Not Dixie State & Stetson & Northern Colorado.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:04 am
84CatGrad wrote:
They are. 3 teams moved up this season:

Lindenwood, Stonehill, Texas A&M Commerce.

To say nothing of Dixie State, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, Tarleton State...

The list goes on and on and on...

Its just that MSU should be playing teams like JMU, Wyoming, Utah State week in and week out.

Not Dixie State & Stetson & Northern Colorado.
This.

As realignment is now the reality in college football, the G5 conferences (which probably should include Oregon State and Wazzu) really ought to break away from the P4 system to form their own championship. In this scenario, MSU would most certainly belong and be competitive.

Otherwise, we're stuck with the xDSU schools and a pile of sorry programs that include several Big Sky members. As it was posed earlier, would we rather be playing teams that are forced to play in a shabby, barely-a-high-school stadium, and ones that considered dropping their program? Or compete against other, like-minded schools with a similar outlook on scholarship and athletics. I know which I'm choosing, and it's the latter.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:39 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:59 am
I still don’t get why FCS teams are so determined to bump up to FBS. Most of them are going to nothing conferences and will be forgotten about. I look forward to the playoffs and the opportunity to go to the famous potato bowl doesn’t appeal to me. The only way it would be semi-attractive is if both Montana Schools were invited to the existing Mountain West (which isn’t happening) or if the Montana/Dakota schools started conference and added a few Wyoming/Weber/New Mexico/Utah State type schools. I’m honestly surprised more teams aren’t trying to move into FCS. Montana and Dakota schools draw better than half the Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt, and it’s much cheaper to run a football team in FCS. To each their own….but I would hate to see the Montana schools make the jump into a garbage FBS conference just because everyone else is doing it.
This. I want a shot at a national championship. Anything less will be meaningless.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:39 pm

NDSU will go FBS alone

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:21 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:39 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
This. I want a shot at a national championship. Anything less will be meaningless.
In that case the Cats should drop to D2 or NAIA. Meaningful championship assured.

(Only partly snarky. I want playoffs & a real championship too...but I also want a competitive landscape, not playoff games with Drake or home games against McNeese, Stetson, and Bryant. What we want as fans might not actually matter.)

SnowGriz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SnowGriz » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:42 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Central Washington was looking to move up a few years ago, not sure where that stands. They could compete. Tarleton State moved up this year and competes well. They averaged over 18k in attendance this season. I honestly don't know why more powerhouse upper midwest D2 programs don't make the jump. Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, for example, don't have any FCS schools. I think it has to do with how their BOR wants to funnel all talent to their FBS schools but I could be wrong. If something were to change there we could see some interesting developments.

I don't believe that going FBS would help either UM or MSU.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:16 pm

Tarelton St was ranked no. 23 this season. 8-3. Played TCU in 2022. Was paid $550,000.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:17 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Good post. I agree with you.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:22 pm

If we moved up we might get to play football on Wednesday nights!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:53 am

SnowGriz wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:42 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Central Washington was looking to move up a few years ago, not sure where that stands. They could compete. Tarleton State moved up this year and competes well. They averaged over 18k in attendance this season. I honestly don't know why more powerhouse upper midwest D2 programs don't make the jump. Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin, for example, don't have any FCS schools. I think it has to do with how their BOR wants to funnel all talent to their FBS schools but I could be wrong. If something were to change there we could see some interesting developments.

I don't believe that going FBS would help either UM or MSU.
If Eastern Washington has a hard time affording their athletic program, I would expect Central Washington might face the same challenges.

St. Thomas in MN is a FCS, but in the Pioneer league. I am not sure any school currently in MN's D2 ranks have the resources to move up.