Worst griz team since……?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Worst griz team since……?

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:59 am

How far back do you need to go to find a griz team worse then this?

Not talking trash. Honest question.

They look absolutely terrible. Offense is a joke, defense is sub par, coaching is pathetic….

Late 80’s?…. Is this the worst griz team we have seen in over 30 years? I think so.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Worst griz team since……?

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am

The 2012 griz team was like 5-6 if I remember correctly, and missed the playoffs. I don't think this team is quite that bad.

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:24 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:40 am
The 2012 griz team was like 5-6 if I remember correctly, and missed the playoffs. I don't think this team is quite that bad.
I do. I'm not sure this years team gets to 5 D1 wins. It'll come down to if they can win in Portland or not. Which is not a sentence I expected to type at the beginning of the year.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:00 pm

110010110 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:24 pm
91catAlum wrote:
I do. I'm not sure this years team gets to 5 D1 wins. It'll come down to if they can win in Portland or not. Which is not a sentence I expected to type at the beginning of the year.
Know nothing about Portland but they look like they can be a bit salty. um better watch out. Still about 6-7 weeks out and by then the gris may have lost to Davis, Idaho and Sac and have had the fork put in them.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:03 pm

They weren't very good the last couple years of Stitt's tenure, which would have been 2016-2017. They didn't make the playoffs either of those years, and may have finished below .500 at least one of those years. From what I've seen so far, this year's team would seem to be on about the same level as those teams. They looked absolutely awful yesterday, but I'm not ready to say this is the worst Gris team since the Donovan era (mid 80's), or anything crazy like that.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 pm

John K wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:03 pm
They weren't very good the last couple years of Stitt's tenure, which would have been 2016-2017. They didn't make the playoffs either of those years, and may have finished below .500 at least one of those years. From what I've seen so far, this year's team would seem to be on about the same level as those teams. They looked absolutely awful yesterday, but I'm not ready to say this is the worst Gris team since the Donovan era (mid 80's), or anything crazy like that.
They struggled to beat a non-scholarship FCS team, arguably should have lost to a D2 school, and just got clobbered by a bottom tier Big Sky school.

They’re bad, bad. That OL is horrible. They’re running a 3 man front with a 250 lb backup NT.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:06 pm

Was it fan boy Rainey whining that they didn’t have more preseason all conference Olinemen?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:58 pm

Worst Griz team since the one that showed up in Bozeman last November.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:38 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 pm
John K wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:03 pm
They struggled to beat a non-scholarship FCS team, arguably should have lost to a D2 school, and just got clobbered by a bottom tier Big Sky school.

They’re bad, bad. That OL is horrible. They’re running a 3 man front with a 250 lb backup NT.
#RTD

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:59 am

Man is it fun to watch gris fans melt down just a week after a landmark win against North Dakota State, I know it was Ferris State, but based of the comments I heard, even from Colter, you would have thought it was a team as good as NDSU. I hope the griz are as bad as they showed last Saturday but I doubt it. Although their o-line looked really bad and that is hard to fix. One game does not a season make. If the friz lose at home this weekend then they can officially put the for sale sign up at Hauck's house but until then I'm still thinking they might finish in the top half of the conference and he might keep his job. If he wants it.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am

110010110 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
They will win more than 5 games. Its fun to see them struggle, but a lot of teams struggle at Flagstaff including MSU. We barely won there last year despite having a natty contending team. And I remember the 2010 MSU team getting thumped 27-7 down there despite finishing 9-2 with a near-win over Wash State and getting a 4 seed.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:15 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am
110010110 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
They will win more than 5 games. Its fun to see them struggle, but a lot of teams struggle at Flagstaff including MSU. We barely won there last year despite having a natty contending team. And I remember the 2010 MSU team getting thumped 27-7 down there despite finishing 9-2 with a near-win over Wash State and getting a 4 seed.
A 6-5 record with 5 D1 wins seems quite feasible for them. They have Davis and Idaho on the road in two consecutive weeks plus a surprisingly decent Portland State team on the road later in the year. They have two easy home games against ISU and UNC but their other two are against Sac State and MSU, both likely losses unless they can have a major turnaround. If I had to predict now I'd say that they'll beat PSU and win one of their four tougher conference games to finish 7-4 and end up squarely on the bubble just like last year.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:05 am

Worst Griz team until 2024

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:40 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 am
110010110 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Reasonable points, but this years NAU team was just beat by Utah Tech 50-36 - IN FLAGSTAFF. Utah Tech was up 50-15 halfway through the 4th.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:08 pm

If they get beat at home by ISU this weekend they will be, by far, the worst griz team EVER. Immediate terminations of the whole staff would happen 5 minutes after the game ends and Bobby would be tarred and feathered for sure. Could happen. 🤪

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:21 pm

nanacat wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:08 pm
If they get beat at home by ISU this weekend they will be, by far, the worst griz team EVER. Immediate terminations of the whole staff would happen 5 minutes after the game ends and Bobby would be tarred and feathered for sure. Could happen. 🤪
Naw. Bobby has to many backers for them to fire him. His contract is done after this season and he will coach the rest of it but at the end there will be a mutual parting of ways. He'll get some special teams job at a mountain west school.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:30 pm

Hauck said everybody would have to take a really hard look at themselves, starting with him, to see what went wrong. I'd argue they should have done that after struggling with Butler. At the very least they should have had a come-to-Jesus with themselves after getting beat everywhere but the scoreboard at home against Ferris. There's a part of me that thinks this was a wake-up call for them and they'll turn things around somewhat. I don't think they're good, but I don't think they're as bad as they were Saturday. But those idiots got at least two other wake-up calls this season and didn't do anything with them. I'm curious whether they really aren't self-aware enough to see that the Butler and Ferris games were not good, in which case MAYBE they can look in the mirror and figure out what they need to do.

As a Class B guy, I was happy to see several Class B guys playing on their defense (Braxton Hill, Ryan Tirrell, David Koppang, Ryder Meyer, Garrett Graves). That's a lot. But it occurred to me that MAYBE my beloved Class B is not the best pool to fill a D-I defense from!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:33 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:30 pm
Hauck said everybody would have to take a really hard look at themselves, starting with him, to see what went wrong. I'd argue they should have done that after struggling with Butler. At the very least they should have had a come-to-Jesus with themselves after getting beat everywhere but the scoreboard at home against Ferris. There's a part of me that thinks this was a wake-up call for them and they'll turn things around somewhat. I don't think they're good, but I don't think they're as bad as they were Saturday. But those idiots got at least two other wake-up calls this season and didn't do anything with them. I'm curious whether they really aren't self-aware enough to see that the Butler and Ferris games were not good, in which case MAYBE they can look in the mirror and figure out what they need to do.

As a Class B guy, I was happy to see several Class B guys playing on their defense (Braxton Hill, Ryan Tirrell, David Koppang, Ryder Meyer, Garrett Graves). That's a lot. But it occurred to me that MAYBE my beloved Class B is not the best pool to fill a D-I defense from!
I hadn't degraded myself by checking out e-griz for several years, but I just had to take a look and see how bad the meltdown was amongst their fan base, after the NAU debacle. There is actually a thread there, debating the question of whether they are too focused on recruiting in-state kids, and whether or not that could be an explanation for the obvious decline in talent on their roster over the last few years.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:07 pm

Here's an idea for a Bobcat Nation poll. How many points would the gris score against Denver's defense? The choices could be 0, 3, 7, and 10 or more. I think I'd vote for 0.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:34 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:33 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:30 pm

I hadn't degraded myself by checking out e-griz for several years, but I just had to take a look and see how bad the meltdown was amongst their fan base, after the NAU debacle. There is actually a thread there, debating the question of whether they are too focused on recruiting in-state kids, and whether or not that could be an explanation for the obvious decline in talent on their roster over the last few years.
I don’t read egriz much but I do listen to the griz fan podcast. They are pretty honest about their team. They had on Andrew Schmitt who is obnoxious but pretty accurate. He mentioned this post and actually noted how there are some in-state dudes and they all play for the Cats.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing