Worst griz team since……?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Worst griz team since……?

Post by Grizfan7 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:23 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:06 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:44 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:04 pm
tdub wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:41 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:57 pm
Who knew losing to a mediocre team was better than losing to a good team.
Not that PR needs defending, but I didn’t read it that way. Only as a factor, which is true. The Cats have losses against strong teams, one of which the gris beat. But the gris have only one loss, but to a mediocre team.
There’s a 35 point swing in the NAU games counting a last second TD or it’s be 42. MSU beat SAC on the road. There’s only a six point swing in the Idaho game. None of MSU’s wins have been close games. UM only has two decisive wins this year. One against a winless UNCO, the other against a team that might be falling apart. SAC is 3-3 since beating Stanford. Two of the three wins weren’t impressive.

Psu has nothing to play for after losing to Davis and if they get behind early they’ll just mail it in. PSU only had about 80 yards rushing vs Davis and 300 total.
But you need to judge each team by how they are playing lately, and now. UM hasn't lost since Sept. 23, to NAU on the road in its worst game of the season, which was before UM picked McDowell as it's starting QB. Vidlak played at NAU. MSU lost to Idaho on Oct. 28, on the road. UM beat Idaho on Oct. 14, on the road. MSU beat Sac St. 42 - 30 on road on Oct. 21. UM beat SS by 34-7 at home on Nov. 4.

To me, the most relevant games are Idaho and SS, not NAU. You can disagree. UM also beat Davis on the road when they were ranked. Davis is 5-4. Weber is 4-5. Davis could still make playoffs with win over SS at home.

Do the Cats have any impressive wins, other the 12 point win over SS? You seem to believe the Cat loss is no big deal, nor is the UM win over Idaho. If that's true, I disagree completely. Huge difference.

The polls are picking UM over MSU now. Since we have talked about where the games will be played, obviously the Griz/Cat game is in Missoula. I believe that will be a significant factor. Bobby has lost to the Cats only once ever in Missoula, and that was the timeout game which switched from Griz win to Cat win at the end.

The team you say may be falling apart is no. 9 in the Stats poll. If SS does fall apart, Davis will beat them and likely make the playoffs. That would then surely be another good win for UM.

All this being said, I am just laying out what I see as the facts. I am not even trying to say UM is better than MSU. I really don't know who is the better team. That will be determined in 2 weeks.

The Cats have been good all season, except for the Idaho loss, and UM has been playing very well lately. 74-7 in the last 2 games, with almost no yardage given to either opponent. It should be a great game. I look forward to it, win or lose. This is what sport is about. Thanks for the discussion.
I think that's all fair and if I was a griz fan I'd be feeling the same way. As a Cats fan I would say that the Idaho loss was mostly due to them catching us at the perfect time. Their head coach even said that. They lost a very close game to the griz and then had a bye week to be pissed off about that and prep for MSU. Meanwhile, MSU had a road game at Sac, home at 5am, prep for a 2nd ranked team in a row on the road, and then a blizzard in Bozeman on Wednesday which hindered getting good practices in. Team started the game sluggish. Had 2 missed FGs at the end of each half and a wide open dropped TD at the end of the first half, could've easily won the game with a break or 2. Credit Idaho for doing what they needed to win but if MSU played Idaho 10 times I think we win 7 or 8 of them. Just my opinion.

As for Cat griz, Missoula is a tough venue and either team could certainly win it. But on paper, MSU is the stronger team IMO. Games are usually won in the trenches and MSU is stronger there on both sides of the ball. If MSU is able to run the ball even half as well as last year, the griz are in trouble.

The griz are a hot team right now and always tough at home, so I would expect to see them favored in the game. But honestly I think it's a pretty even matchup given how um seems to have things rolling now and are at home.

MSU may or may not be stronger than UM. I don’t know. But even if stronger, UM is playing very well and has the home crowd and field advantage, which I expect to be large this season. The UM o-line has come on, finally. Gubner is better than any Cat d-lineman. I believe the Griz front 6 is as good or better than the Cat front 7. The UM linebackers are very good, deep and playing well. I don’t expect the Cats to run all over UM again. But, if they get 275, UM will be in trouble.
The Cat D isn’t great, but neither is the Griz O. If Griz O doesn’t have a good or pretty good game, that will hurt UM.

I would like to say UM will beat MSU, but I’m afraid they are to have to play the game to determine that. Ha. Thx for the discussion.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:29 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:12 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:02 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:31 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:50 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 am
Hauck turned down 7 figure salary???
That’s what I was told by several people who would know. Also, that he gets offers for 2 to 3 times his current comp from time to time. When he first came back to UM, he turned down 7 figures long term to be the San Diego St head coach. That one I know for a fact.
Of course!!! Because he was so successful in the Mountain West at UNLV!
He was very successful and well-liked at SDS and was the Associate Head Coach, and SDS is who wanted to hire him. Do you think you know more than the SDS AD and President?
No, just more than you.
You more about Hauck’s job prospects than I do?

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:13 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
That’s what I was told by several people who would know. Also, that he gets offers for 2 to 3 times his current comp from time to time. When he first came back to UM, he turned down 7 figures long term to be the San Diego St head coach. That one I know for a fact.
He was very successful and well-liked at SDS and was the Associate Head Coach, and SDS is who wanted to hire him. Do you think you know more than the SDS AD and President?
No, just more than you.
You know more than I do about Hauck’s job prospects?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:18 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:13 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
No, just more than you.
You know more than I do about Hauck’s job prospects?
I talk to him every day.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:39 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I’m just surprised that he hasn’t offered the job at Notre Dame! You would have believed that too!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:39 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I’m just surprised that he hasn’t offered the job at Notre Dame! You would have believed that too!
According to Grizfan that would be a step down.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:59 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:56 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:52 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:41 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:40 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:34 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:20 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:26 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:02 am

So tell me what do you think they are going to do so differently to game plan this years Cat team. It not really the same offense as last year. Are they going to gameplan the offense we used against SDSU, the one we used against WSU, maybe the the pass heavy almost air raid style we used against Cal Poly, I think come 11/18 there will be a couple more variations for them to look at. With as many looks, formations and styles that the Cats use, your new DC will need a month to prep the team for his updated game plan.

I'm betting he will just stick with a similar attack he use against UI, base 3-3-5, heavy pressure with 4, dropping 1 as a spy and the last LB into center zone if he doesn't blitz. I think Housewrite has a pretty good book on hos to attack that plan. Stretch your LB's horizontally and use our speed to wear them out, Unless you have a whole bunch of depth that you have not shown so far, its gonna be another blood bath. um just doesn't have the depth to make the adjustments that you think they will make.

The thing is the 3-3-5 is designed to counter the spread passing teams, it isn't very effective against solid running team, it has weaknesses against both zone and power schemes. Throw in the RPO and its another bloodbath for you.

PS. I hope he sets his outside LB's wider to counter our edge speed, we are getting pretty good at inside power.
UM will have a different game plan. I don't know what it will be, nor would I be able to do a game plan. That's what the DC and coaches do, and will do.

UM D will have to be more disciplined, will have better keys, will have to have better eyes, will need to avoid taking half steps in the wrong direction at the start of plays and going for fakes., etc. In 2022, the UM D, and various players, made a huge number of mistakes. The mistakes started on the first play when a very good linebacker stepped briefly inside, and the play went outside. And this was often the case. Hauck said the Griz D didn't have the right game plan and scheme, and it would be different this year. I see that MSU got 52 yards rushing for 1.5 per carry against SDSU today. That doesn't seem indicate that the Cat running game can't be stopped.
Jack, I know you’re getting old, but the Cats didn’t play any football today. Furthermore, the last time they played SDSU MSU ran for over 200 yards, doubling what SDSU has allowed to other teams so far.
How many rushing yards did MSU get against SDSU earlier this season?
211. I told you on the last post, just over 200 yards. Do try to pay attention.
it
Got it. How many yards did MSU get against SDSU last season?
What’s the relevance? That the best team in the FCS stopped MSU’s run game a year ago? Because if you really want to go based on how things went a year ago…that’s a unique choice for a Griz fan.

I’ll admit it’s fully possible the Griz could stop MSU’s run game. It might have to be a blizzard, or perhaps the game stopping after the first quarter, but I suppose it’s feasible the Griz hold MSU under 200 yards.
The relevance is that MSU's all-world running game can be stopped. Why is it so hard for you to provide the stat?

Actually, the Griz are going to beat the Cats this season, assuming UM doesn't lose it's starting qb again this year. I'm trying to help prepare my Cat friends, so they don't start jumping off ledges next month.
You want me to provide a stat that you already gave? I don’t care for redundancy, you already knew the rushing yards, don’t know why I need to repeat it for you. Although you did think that game was this year, so maybe you just forgot. That happens with age, I’ve heard.

I know you’re just having fun here Jack, but should you care to put some money on which team wins, I’m more than willing. Cats win, you donate to MSU’s athletic fund. Griz win, I donate to UM’s athletic fund. What do ya say, friend?
Happy to bet cash on the spread. I don't ever do silly donation bets. Never have; never will.
Hey Jack, spread is 3.5 in favor of the Cats. I’ll do that bet if you will.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:54 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:38 pm

Now would be a good time to remind everyone of the tendency of Griz fans to welch on their bets. I know you’re well aware but I just think it’s important for newcomers here to remember that.

P.S. My cousin wants 14 points and in the next breath tells me how confident he feels about a gris victory. Haha

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:16 pm

Rich K wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:54 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Now would be a good time to remind everyone of the tendency of Griz fans to welch on their bets. I know you’re well aware but I just think it’s important for newcomers here to remember that.

P.S. My cousin wants 14 points and in the next breath tells me how confident he feels about a gris victory. Haha
I only take points. Give me 3.5 and we're on. Actually, I'm not looking for a bet.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:44 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:16 pm
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I only take points. Give me 3.5 and we're on. Actually, I'm not looking for a bet.
I already offered that to you. You don’t want it now? Cmon Jack.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:21 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Only betting on your team if someone gives you points. Not very confident in your team with all the “facts” you have posted all week.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:21 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Only betting on your team if someone gives you points. Not very confident in your team with all the “facts” you have posted all week.
I have lots of confidence. I just don't want to take your money. I like to bet months ahead of the game, not close to the game.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:50 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I have lots of confidence. I just don't want to take your money. I like to bet months ahead of the game, not close to the game.
I’ve given in to every demand you’ve made for a bet, and you still won’t do it. We all know why. U scared.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 pm
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I’ve given in to every demand you’ve made for a bet, and you still won’t do it. We all know why. U scared.
I haven't made any demands for a bet. I've said I don't want to bet this close to the game.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:49 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I haven't made any demands for a bet. I've said I don't want to bet this close to the game.
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is some funny stuff! But, but, but, I am really confident….

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:21 am

Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Wanna bet on next year's game then?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:45 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:21 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

:lol:

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:49 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is some funny stuff! But, but, but, I am really confident….
My betting budget is already maxed out. $5,000 bet where the other side of the bet said that Cats would beat Griz by more than they did last season. Uptopgriz. That troll started disappearing as the season went on.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:06 pm

Grizfan7 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:49 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

My betting budget is already maxed out. $5,000 bet where the other side of the bet said that Cats would beat Griz by more than they did last season. Uptopgriz. That troll started disappearing as the season went on.
It this true\confirmed... or one of those gray areas where it wasn't exactly clear what the bet was? Because if someone actually bet you $5,000 that the Cats were going to beat Griz in YOUR stadium this year by more than they did last year, that might be the dumbest bet I've ever seen, anywhere in the universe.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:07 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:45 am
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:21 am
Grizfan7 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Grizfan7 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

:lol:
LOL! Oh boy, this should be good.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!