Definition of cruelty

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Definition of cruelty

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Definition of cruelty

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:22 pm

As a former AD, I will side with the MHSA more often than most. I do think it's necessary to be really black and white about making judgments about rules. People, unfortunately, will exploit any and all inconsistencies to try and gain an advantage--a sad commentary on youth sports. I also have to admit I often get a little tired of Jay Bilas and his constant (even if generally correct) berating of the NCAA. Even though we as people can operate with a little finesse and see that there's an exception to every rule, the NCAA and state high school associations can't always operate that way.

One of the things I've always loved about the MHSA, surprisingly, is its humanity. I've had rulings go against me and my school, cooperated with the ruling initially, and then appealed to the MHSA board. This board is made up of current administrators, a representative of OPI, and a legislator. They listen carefully to appeals and have the flexibility that the Executive Director is not allowed to have. I hope that's what's happening here. I hope this is just a case of a Director being black and white to the letter of the law, which I believe he has the right and duty to do. I hope Davenport's AD/Principal/Superintendent ask for an immediate appeal and that the AHSAA board is as reasonable as the one we have here in Montana. I'm with Jay Bilas here and I hope the AHSAA does the right thing.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Looks like the Alabama HS Association didn't come through, but a local court ruled in her favor for some sort of temporary judgment, so Davenport was able to play her first game Friday night. She had an and-1 19 seconds in and ended up with 25. I still hope the AAHSA makes this right somehow.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm

This is sad and makes me angry. I am with you and hope the AAHSA will make this right, and soon.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm

I used to like Bilas. But I too am tired of his diatribe. Ok. Disagree with the ruling. But call it mean-spirited? Where did he find an intent to be mean? He gives no evidence. Bilas is just an ESPN opinion mouthpiece that tries to pass himself off as a journalist.

The mom should've known. But a one year suspension is over board.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:34 pm

lutecat wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:13 pm
I used to like Bilas. But I too am tired of his diatribe. Ok. Disagree with the ruling. But call it mean-spirited? Where did he find an intent to be mean? He gives no evidence. Bilas is just an ESPN opinion mouthpiece that tries to pass himself off as a journalist.

The mom should've known. But a one year suspension is over board.
I agree with you about Bilas. I am very weary of his constant anti-NCAA schtick.