Dawgs vs. Tide

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dawgs vs. Tide

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

The NCAA moves at a glacial pace. It took about 7 decades for the NCAA basketball tournament to get to its present format and that was with the only competition being the NIT. I think they are purposely slowly starving the deeply entrenched bowl system to death. It will probably take another decade or two, but there will eventually be a full playoff system for big time college football.

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 am

BobcatDel wrote:Agree with Belgrade Bobcat. Many bowl games are poorly attended and as a result don't get the attendance or TV revenue desired.

Quit messing around and get to minimum 8 teams (I prefer 16 teams) ASAP. You don't need baby steps...set the plan in place and get it done.

If I was running one of the secondary bowls I would be lobbying to get one of the playoff games immediately even if only a "sweet sixteen" game. Then I would have a sizable part of the country and fans interested in attending or watching rather than a quarter full stadium.
Even the major bowls would benefit in the long run.

I also like giving some of the underdog teams and conferences a chance, like the TCUs, Boise State, UCF, etc. But the Power 5 money wants to control and doesn't want to lose their "elite status" to some upset team.

Just my opinion.
Here's another option. This closer matches March Madness. There are 10 FBS conferences. Each conference winner gets an automatic bid. That leaves 6 at large teams. Anybody outside of these 6 at larges doesn't really have a claim to be in the playoff anyway. Does the winner of the Sun Belt conference, for example, really deserve to be in it? No, but half the teams in March Madness don't belong there either. This will make all conferences happy and making money off the playoff.

As far as a 15-16 game season goes, FCS does it and nobody thinks twice about it. Heck, every level outside of FBS does it. Shorten the regular season to 11 games. That would make the championship teams playing their 16th game. Everybody else would play 11 to 15 games depending on how far they go. You could also still play bowl games for the teams outside the playoff. Again, this is just my two cents.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:47 am

This entire thread became hilarious. The only reason the G5 teams ever got into the money bowls in the first place was because of a threatened lawsuit and the senator from Utah sticking his nose into this. Funny how Utah then became a member of the PAC 10, isn't it? Screw with the five powerful conferences too much and they'll simply leave the NCAA and form their own athletic affiliations and take all their money with them. The NCAA loses money on all the small college football playoffs and the schools participating in them also lose money.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 am

Cat Grad wrote:This entire thread became hilarious. The only reason the G5 teams ever got into the money bowls in the first place was because of a threatened lawsuit and the senator from Utah sticking his nose into this. Funny how Utah then became a member of the PAC 10, isn't it? Screw with the five powerful conferences too much and they'll simply leave the NCAA and form their own athletic affiliations and take all their money with them. The NCAA loses money on all the small college football playoffs and the schools participating in them also lose money.
The schools who participate in most of the bowl games (all except the handful of major bowls that are played on or close to New Years Day) lose money too, and in many cases, they lose a lot, because of having to guarantee a certain number of sold tickets.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Cat Grad wrote:This entire thread became hilarious. The only reason the G5 teams ever got into the money bowls in the first place was because of a threatened lawsuit and the senator from Utah sticking his nose into this. Funny how Utah then became a member of the PAC 10, isn't it? Screw with the five powerful conferences too much and they'll simply leave the NCAA and form their own athletic affiliations and take all their money with them. The NCAA loses money on all the small college football playoffs and the schools participating in them also lose money.
Do you realize how hard it is to believe they lose money on the small college playoffs. They kept expanding the playoff, thus diluting the revenue, but they kept doing it? Does that make any sense?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm

allcat wrote:
Do you realize how hard it is to believe they lose money on the small college playoffs. They kept expanding the playoff, thus diluting the revenue, but they kept doing it? Does that make any sense?
I agree with you on your point. On the other hand when did making sense become part of the NCAA decision making process?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:59 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
allcat wrote:
I agree with you on your point. On the other hand when did making sense become part of the NCAA decision making process?
They know exactly what they are doing. The NCAA is a nonprofit organization. Virtually every Power 5 school turned their athletic departments over to their foundations just as MSU did with the expansion of the endzone. All the bowl games are also nonprofit foundations. I struggle that neither MSU or UM offers a graduate degree in nonprofit foundation management. The only way to get anything accomplished is to get the actual money out of the hands of a state run bureaucracy.