BSC Head Coaches who advanced directly to FBS

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

BSC Head Coaches who advanced directly to FBS

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:26 pm

I did a little research and this is what I found. Not in chronological order. Also, I may have missed someone. Most of these guys have ongoing stories. This is just to identify their first move.

Jim Sweeney, Montana State-Washington state
Tony Knapp, Boise Sate-UNLV
Dave Kragthorp, Idaho State-Oregon State
Dennis Erickson, Idaho-Wyoming
Mike Price, Weber State-Washington State
Paul Wulff-Eastern Washington-Washington State
Mick Dennehey, Montana-Utah State
Joe Glenn, Montana-Wyoming
Jim Criner, Boise State-Iowa State
Bobby Hauck, Montana-UNLV

One came the short way..
Chris Ault, Nevada Reno, moved up from 1AA to 1A

A couple went the long way
Sonny Lubick, Montana State-Colorado State Assist-Stanford Assist-Miami Assist-Head Coach Colorado State.
Keith Gilbertson, Idaho-Washington Assistant-Head Coach California

One came down and went back up
Don Read Oregon-Oregon Teck-Portland State ("small college")-Montana

One came down
Ron McBride, Utah-Weber State

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: BSC Head Coaches who advanced directly to FBS

Post by JDoub » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Tony Knapp also went down first from Utah State to Boise State, then back up to UNLV

Pokey Allen went from Div II Portland State to Big Sky's Boise State and was skipper at Boise State when they moved up to the Big West in 1-A in 1996, the year he passed from cancer

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

JDoub wrote:Tony Knapp also went down first from Utah State to Boise State, then back up to UNLV

Pokey Allen went from Div II Portland State to Big Sky's Boise State and was skipper at Boise State when they moved up to the Big West in 1-A in 1996, the year he passed from cancer
Knap actually went from Utah State to the BC Lions then in 1968 to Boise College (just coming off JC Status). Boise STATE College began football life as a 4 year school in NAIA, moving up to DII in 1970. He left for UNLV in 1976.
I forgot Pokey was on board when they went up. He was a special guy. While at PSU he would review plays submitted by students and use one every week.

SkyRider
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SkyRider » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 pm

John L. Smith went from Idaho to Utah State, which led to...

Chris Tormey being hired and then being the head coach for Idaho's (then) last year in the Big Sky and first in the Big West.

Dave Kragthorpe left ISU to become the AD at Utah State. He then left USU after 2 years to coach Oregon State.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 pm

JDoub wrote:Tony Knapp also went down first from Utah State to Boise State, then back up to UNLV

Pokey was officially the head coach in 1996, but Defensive Coordinator Tom Mason was the acting head coach for all but the final game, due to Pokey's illness. Pokey coached the final game, which was 1 of only 1 or 2 wins they had the entire season. I followed BSU pretty closely back in those days because Tom was my ex-wife's 1st cousin. Pokey passed and the rest of the staff was fired after the season was over. I was at the game in 1993 when MSU got their 1 and only win in Boise during BSU's 25 (approximately) years in the BSC. I was not real popular with my ex's family that day, sitting among them in the stands and cheering my lungs out for MSU as we crushed them 42-21. Pokey and Cliff Hysell were teammates (maybe even roommates) at Utah State before Cliff transferred to MSU, and remained close friends after that. The night before the game, one of the local Boise TV stations did a nice feature during their evening news about their long friendship. That was Cliff's 2nd season and we started out 4-1/7-2 before losing the last 2 games to finish 4-3/7-4. Still that was our 1st winning season since the 1984 NC season, and I remember feeling some hope for the future of the program for the 1st time in many years, after we hit rock bottom under Solomonson. Tom knew Kramer really well too, as they were about the same age and were from the same area in Washington and played high school football against each other. Kramer played at UI about the same time that Tom played at UNR, but that was probably before Reno joined the BSC. I think they also coached together for awhile at EWU. Whenever I saw Kramer he always asked about Tom.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:14 am

John K wrote:

Pokey was officially the head coach in 1996, but Defensive Coordinator Tom Mason was the acting head coach for all but the final game, due to Pokey's illness. Pokey coached the final game, which was 1 of only 1 or 2 wins they had the entire season. I followed BSU pretty closely back in those days because Tom was my ex-wife's 1st cousin. Pokey passed and the rest of the staff was fired after the season was over. I was at the game in 1993 when MSU got their 1 and only win in Boise during BSU's 25 (approximately) years in the BSC. I was not real popular with my ex's family that day, sitting among them in the stands and cheering my lungs out for MSU as we crushed them 42-21. Pokey and Cliff Hysell were teammates (maybe even roommates) at Utah State before Cliff transferred to MSU, and remained close friends after that. The night before the game, one of the local Boise TV stations did a nice feature during their evening news about their long friendship. That was Cliff's 2nd season and we started out 4-1/7-2 before losing the last 2 games to finish 4-3/7-4. Still that was our 1st winning season since the 1984 NC season, and I remember feeling some hope for the future of the program for the 1st time in many years, after we hit rock bottom under Solomonson. Tom knew Kramer really well too, as they were about the same age and were from the same area in Washington and played high school football against each other. Kramer played at UI about the same time that Tom played at UNR, but that was probably before Reno joined the BSC. I think they also coached together for awhile at EWU. Whenever I saw Kramer he always asked about Tom.
Great story John K. I also was at that game in Boise and stayed in the same hotel as the Cats and other boosters. We were all jacked after that game because at that point the playoffs were a real possibility.
Actually Allen and Cliff were teammates at Utah. Pokey captained them as a senior and they went to a bowl game. He was a fine quarterback at Missoula High and Utah. My Mrs. Lisle dated him until Mr. Lisle came along :yes:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:40 am

Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:

Great story John K. I also was at that game in Boise and stayed in the same hotel as the Cats and other boosters. We were all jacked after that game because at that point the playoffs were a real possibility.
Actually Allen and Cliff were teammates at Utah. Pokey captained them as a senior and they went to a bowl game. He was a fine quarterback at Missoula High and Utah. My Mrs. Lisle dated him until Mr. Lisle came along :yes:
Oh it was Utah, not Utah State? Thanks for the correction. All the family went over to Tom's house after the game, and of course they (and especially Tom) weren't very happy about the outcome, while I on the other hand was sky high, and trying to tone down my excitement as much as possible. I think that was Pokey's first year there, and they had a terrible season, winning only one BSC game I believe. Fans in the stands were yelling "bring back Skip Hall" (the former head coach who had been fired after the previous season). I remember feeling really bad for Tom's mom and dad other family members who were there, having to hear people say things like that. BSU was MSU's biggest rival other than UM back in those days, so it was a huge win in several ways. Beating them in Boise for the first time ever for one thing, and that along with our win a week earlier over then national #1 UI really stamped us as a legit contender in the BSC. It was disappointing to lose the final two games, but again, it was amazing to have a winning season, after enduring eight straight losing seasons since the 1984 NC. The two programs went in completely opposite directions the next year, as BSU made it all the way to the NC game before losing to Youngstown State (I believe that's who it was), while MSU went 0-7/3-8 in 1994.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:43 am

John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:

Oh it was Utah, not Utah State? Thanks for the correction. All the family went over to Tom's house after the game, and of course they (and especially Tom) weren't very happy about the outcome, while I on the other hand was sky high, and trying to tone down my excitement as much as possible. I think that was Pokey's first year there, and they had a terrible season, winning only one BSC game I believe. Fans in the stands were yelling "bring back Skip Hall" (the former head coach who had been fired after the previous season). I remember feeling really bad for Tom's mom and dad other family members who were there, having to hear people say things like that. BSU was MSU's biggest rival other than UM back in those days, so it was a huge win in several ways. Beating them in Boise for the first time ever for one thing, and that along with our win a week earlier over then national #1 UI really stamped us as a legit contender in the BSC. It was disappointing to lose the final two games, but again, it was amazing to have a winning season, after enduring eight straight losing seasons since the 1984 NC. The two programs went in completely opposite directions the next year, as BSU made it all the way to the NC game before losing to Youngstown State (I believe that's who it was), while MSU went 0-7/3-8 in 1994.
This is a bit off track..not unusual for me, but I've always had great respect for BSU especially after the great Bobcat DT Bill Kollar went down with a knee injury in Bronco Stadium. When they got him up and took him off the field the entire stadium stood up and gave him a hand.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
John K wrote:

This is a bit off track..not unusual for me, but I've always had great respect for BSU especially after the great Bobcat DT Bill Kollar went down with a knee injury in Bronco Stadium. When they got him up and took him off the field the entire stadium stood up and gave him a hand.
I miss the old days of the BSC when BSU, UI and UNR were still part of the league. MSU had some epic battles with BSU during those years, and those two programs dominated the conference throughout the 70's and early 80's. Then UI and UNR ruled for most of the 80's, and then UI and UM were the top programs from the late 80's through the mid 90's. I'm glad to have UI coming back into the fold next season.