Sam Houston/Tim Cramsey

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Sam Houston/Tim Cramsey

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 am

Former Bobcat OC Tim Cramsey has Sam Houston rolling. They scored 505 points (avg 46 ppg) during the regular season. In the playoffs they put up 54 in week 1 and 34 in the win yesterday vs. Kennesaw State.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sam Houston/Tim Cramsey

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 pm

No doubt his offenses put up a ton of points, he’s really going to thrive in a place where they can recruit big time athletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Will be interesting to see the head-to-head battle of our last two previous OCs next weekend. How ironic. They have the two highest scoring teams in the nation now.

After watching a lot of the playoff teams (SHSU excluded), they play the way that Choate has us headed. We'll get there.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:Will be interesting to see the head-to-head battle of our last two previous OCs next weekend. How ironic. They have the two highest scoring teams in the nation now.

After watching a lot of the playoff teams (SHSU excluded), they play the way that Choate has us headed. We'll get there.
I think our OC has been getting some undue criticism. Sure, there’s a learning curve moving up to FCS from NAIA but his teams at Rocky had some good offenses. It’s the same game but up here at FCS he’s working with bigger and faster players. I feel like he’ll get it figured out. (I hope :D )

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

Mr Lisle wrote:Former Bobcat OC Tim Cramsey has Sam Houston rolling. They scored 505 points (avg 46 ppg) during the regular season. In the playoffs they put up 54 in week 1 and 34 in the win yesterday vs. Kennesaw State.
I think Cramsey is a very good coach, but I think he rubs people the wrong way. As a OC you can get away with that, but as a HC no chance.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:59 pm

How is this possible? I was under the impression you couldn't win with Cramsey's offense - it scored too fast and wore out your defense (tongue firmly in cheek). Seriously though, running the same high score, high speed offense, how's SHSU succeeding as a team with it where MSU had trouble outscoring opponents? Is it as simple as defensive athletes?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 pm

KittieKop wrote:How is this possible? I was under the impression you couldn't win with Cramsey's offense - it scored too fast and wore out your defense (tongue firmly in cheek). Seriously though, running the same high score, high speed offense, how's SHSU succeeding as a team with it where MSU had trouble outscoring opponents? Is it as simple as defensive athletes?
I for one never bought into that argument of scoring too fast. Honestly, I would rather have a fast scoring offense than a ground and pound team that gets in trouble playing from behind. The issue wasn't the offense, it was the LACK of defense.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:13 pm

The Butcher wrote:
KittieKop wrote:How is this possible? I was under the impression you couldn't win with Cramsey's offense - it scored too fast and wore out your defense (tongue firmly in cheek). Seriously though, running the same high score, high speed offense, how's SHSU succeeding as a team with it where MSU had trouble outscoring opponents? Is it as simple as defensive athletes?
I for one never bought into that argument of scoring too fast. Honestly, I would rather have a fast scoring offense than a ground and pound team that gets in trouble playing from behind. The issue wasn't the offense, it was the LACK of defense.
I never thought that there was an inherent problem in having a prolific offense. Obviously, scoring points is generally a really good thing. I thought the problem stemmed more from the lack of cohesion as a team, where it seemed that the culture at MSU had changed and it was "offense over here, defense over there" rather than everyone looking at themselves as a collective team. On really good teams that have great chemistry, there's always an attitude that if one group makes a mistake, the other group has your back and they'll bail you out. I.e., offense makes a turnover, they have confidence in the D to make a stop; or if the defense gives up a score, they know the offense will get that score back. That attitude/culture wasn't there by the time Cramsey left, and I think he may have had something to do with it. Our defense had also gotten SO bad, it felt like our offense put added pressure on themselves to literally score every single time they had the ball, as they knew that was pretty much what our defense was going to allow, and that caused them to press too hard instead of playing loose and confident. It was a mess.

GO CATS GO!!!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 pm

IMHO stating the offense scores so quickly it tires the defense was just an excuse for a bad defense.

If the defense always got 3 and outs would we think it was tiring the offense???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 pm

The way I see it, the defense has to meet you half way. In our case, the defense at no time in Jim Marshall's final two season came anywhere close to meeting the offense half way.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
I never thought that there was an inherent problem in having a prolific offense. Obviously, scoring points is generally a really good thing. I thought the problem stemmed more from the lack of cohesion as a team, where it seemed that the culture at MSU had changed and it was "offense over here, defense over there" rather than everyone looking at themselves as a collective team. On really good teams that have great chemistry, there's always an attitude that if one group makes a mistake, the other group has your back and they'll bail you out. I.e., offense makes a turnover, they have confidence in the D to make a stop; or if the defense gives up a score, they know the offense will get that score back. That attitude/culture wasn't there by the time Cramsey left, and I think he may have had something to do with it. Our defense had also gotten SO bad, it felt like our offense put added pressure on themselves to literally score every single time they had the ball, as they knew that was pretty much what our defense was going to allow, and that caused them to press too hard instead of playing loose and confident. It was a mess.
This....I think Cramsey was a good offensive coach in terms of knowledge, but I also think he was likely a cancer on that team. Ash just lost control over the locker room at some point and Cramsey did not help this. JMHO

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm

SHSU has the defensive tackles we didn’t. They have the backend we didn’t. They can play fast because their defense can get off the field. But if you look at their 4th qtr stats, you’re going to see pretty plainly that their defense wears out. Sorry boys, that formula isn’t winning a championship. We’re on the right path

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:SHSU has the defensive tackles we didn’t. They have the backend we didn’t. They can play fast because their defense can get off the field. But if you look at their 4th qtr stats, you’re going to see pretty plainly that their defense wears out. Sorry boys, that formula isn’t winning a championship. We’re on the right path

They might make it this year because of the seeding. The Cats need linemen and have for a half dozen years. One or two good players on both sides won't enable them to compete in a really weak conference let alone make a decent showing in the playoffs if the conference ever gets more than two or three teams in the tournament. You know which team is loading up on OL and DL players...

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:SHSU has the defensive tackles we didn’t. They have the backend we didn’t. They can play fast because their defense can get off the field. But if you look at their 4th qtr stats, you’re going to see pretty plainly that their defense wears out. Sorry boys, that formula isn’t winning a championship. We’re on the right path

They might make it this year because of the seeding. The Cats need linemen and have for a half dozen years. One or two good players on both sides won't enable them to compete in a really weak conference let alone make a decent showing in the playoffs if the conference ever gets more than two or three teams in the tournament. You know which team is loading up on OL and DL players...
Their D is getting smoked

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:16 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Messingham's offense over Cramsey's just about anywhere in the U.S.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Dang! Messingham is an offensive genius!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yup! Cramsey keeps trying to throw it deep without staying ahead of the sticks.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:36 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yup! Cramsey keeps trying to throw it deep without staying ahead of the sticks.

41-3 before halftime. OL, receivers who can catch the dang ball, and running backs--lots of running backs.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Is the NDSU offense any different than it has been?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:46 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Is the NDSU offense any different than it has been?
Yes. This is the first year they ran the diamond for one...nevermind...