WSU at JMU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: WSU at JMU

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:57 pm

If I were a Weber fan, I'd be SUPER pissed at that inexcusable coaching gaffe.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 pm

catscat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catscat wrote:Don't know where 91catAlum is tonight with his Budweiser. It's okay though, got my own IPA!
Hey bro, was out buying a Christmas tree with the wife and setting it up. I'll chug a bud to catch up.
I have to set up a Christmas tree tomorrow. You'll have to do all the watching and drinking.
Ok but I can't start too early.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 pm

grizzh8r wrote:Weber lost the game when Jay Hill didn't have the guts to go for two when they scored their last TD. I mean, it's simple math, is it not?
Not sure what you're talking about. Kicking the PAT gave them an 8 point lead. You do that every time.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:18 pm

grizzh8r wrote:If I were a Weber fan, I'd be SUPER pissed at that inexcusable coaching gaffe.
Wouldn't have helped as it turned out.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 pm

91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:Weber lost the game when Jay Hill didn't have the guts to go for two when they scored their last TD. I mean, it's simple math, is it not?
Not sure what you're talking about. Kicking the PAT gave them an 8 point lead. You do that every time.
Agreed, kicking the XP was the right call, its a no brainer.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Great game by Weber. Thought they would pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

WSU at JMU

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Speaking of pulling it off — JMU #70 tried to pull off WSU #53's jersey and right arm on the two-point conversion. Easy way to open a hole. Stretched the jersey so far it was hard to read the number.

Sorry to see the Wildcats lose, but they represented extremely well.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Weber kept it a game with big plays. JM’s defense is brutal. Were in the backfield and to the corner before Weber RB got there.

Thought Weber was wasting time trying to use their RBs.

Great job by Weber to almost pull of the W in a hostile environment.
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 am

catscat wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:If I were a Weber fan, I'd be SUPER pissed at that inexcusable coaching gaffe.
Wouldn't have helped as it turned out.
That's because Weber had to call plays to try to win on their last possession, as it was tied. Say Weber made their 2 point conversion and been up 29-20. Had JMU scored in the exact same fashion and timeframe they likely would have kicked the PAT. IIRC, they scored with 2:09 left and only had the one timeout left. Likely would have tried the onside kick, which odds are, they won't recover. Then. Weber could have called 3 straight running plays, bled most of the clock out and pinned them deep with probably less than 40, seconds left.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:15 am

91catAlum wrote:
Why? This is the second time this season someone has said that and I completely disagree. Considering the time left in the game and the situation (playoffs), why do "you do that every time"? If you have a chance to go up 2 scores with about 3 minutes left in a game, that puts so much more pressure on the opposing team. They KNOW they have to score at least twice to win, and likely recover an onside kick in the process... as soon as Weber kicked that PAT, I just knew JMU was going to tie it up. They even got an offsides penalty called on that PAT to halve the distance needed for a 2 point conversion attempt, and they declined it. Did you see the way Cantwell was running on the lead draw in that 4th quarter? Against a tired, demoralized defense? I still say it's a bad coaching decision.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:46 am

I believe Weber scored the most points on JMU this year as well as being the closest victory for A team that's been steam rolling programs. Not to shabby for the Big Fluffy. I bet, in reality we just watched the National Championship.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:20 am

grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Why? This is the second time this season someone has said that and I completely disagree. Considering the time left in the game and the situation (playoffs), why do "you do that every time"? If you have a chance to go up 2 scores with about 3 minutes left in a game, that puts so much more pressure on the opposing team. They KNOW they have to score at least twice to win, and likely recover an onside kick in the process... as soon as Weber kicked that PAT, I just knew JMU was going to tie it up. They even got an offsides penalty called on that PAT to halve the distance needed for a 2 point conversion attempt, and they declined it. Did you see the way Cantwell was running on the lead draw in that 4th quarter? Against a tired, demoralized defense? I still say it's a bad coaching decision.
I understand what you're saying, and that would've been a very ballsy call. But kicking the PAT to go up 8 means that you cannot lose to 1 score. If JMU scores, it forces them to go for 2 just to tie. Going for 2 is around 40-45% average. Hats off to JMU, they converted.

Also, If Weber goes for 2 and misses, they're up 7, which means JMU can tie with a score and PAT, or beat you if they elect to go for 2 and get it.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:44 am

grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I wanted to disagree with your take on going for two, but on the road and with the defense gassed, two points to go up 9 is the right call. Play to win, and I like that. You can't bash the coach for it, because nobody does it, but damn, go for two and get it in there and Weber is in the semis.

Either way, these playoffs tell me what I already knew, which is Choate has MSU close. Watch out next year with even a little improvement in the passing game. I'm already rounding up alumni from Seattle and Portland for 9/22/18 at Providence Park in Portland versus Porty State. It's been WAY too long since MSU was here. It's going to be a quick 9 months.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I understand what you're saying, and that would've been a very ballsy call. But kicking the PAT to go up 8 means that you cannot lose to 1 score. If JMU scores, it forces them to go for 2 just to tie. Going for 2 is around 40-45% average. Hats off to JMU, they converted.

Also, If Weber goes for 2 and misses, they're up 7, which means JMU can tie with a score and PAT, or beat you if they elect to go for 2 and get it.
Again, it's about game situation. There is no way JMU's coach would risk going for 2 to win the game. #1 ranked, defending national champions, at home? He's playing for a tie and overtime.

I guess all I'm saying is, if Choate is in the same or similar situation in the future, he'd better go for two...

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 am

grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Again, it's about game situation. There is no way JMU's coach would risk going for 2 to win the game. #1 ranked, defending national champions, at home? He's playing for a tie and overtime.

I guess all I'm saying is, if Choate is in the same or similar situation in the future, he'd better go for two...

Really? I seem to remember we were in a similar situation, go for tie or two for the win. I think we lost that game. Get over it, Weber lost because they couldn't get a defense stop in the last quarter.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:16 am

Montanabob wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Really? I seem to remember we were in a similar situation, go for tie or two for the win. I think we lost that game. Get over it, Weber lost because they couldn't get a defense stop in the last quarter.
IMHO kicking it to go up 8 was clearly the right call. I honestly can't believe anyone would argue otherwise. As it turned out, it didn't make any difference though, but it was still a great showing by Weebs. They did the BSC proud. They scored 28 points against a defense that hadn't allowed more than 14 all season before that game. Too bad that TD on the blocked FG got called back.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:24 pm

John K wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

IMHO kicking it to go up 8 was clearly the right call. I honestly can't believe anyone would argue otherwise. As it turned out, it didn't make any difference though, but it was still a great showing by Weebs. They did the BSC proud. They scored 28 points against a defense that hadn't allowed more than 14 all season before that game. Too bad that TD on the blocked FG got called back.
I'm not arguing the call here, because you're probably right that was the right call there but the bolded part above isn't necessarily true? In hindsight, IF Weebs would have gone for 2\two and made it, they probably would have won the game because it would have been a two possession game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm

catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I'm not arguing the call here, because you're probably right that was the right call there but the bolded part above isn't necessarily true? In hindsight, IF Weebs would have gone for 2\two and made it, they probably would have won the game because it would have been a two possession game.
Weber lost by 3 so just looking at it from that angle, had they gone for 2 instead of 1, they still would've lost, but by 2 instead of 3.

They led 28-20, and gave up 11 points in the final 3 minutes. That's why they lost, not because they didn't go for 2.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 am

Montanabob wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Yes, really. MSU's season was lost (from a playoffs standpoint), on the road, at high altitude. Of course you go for it in that situation. I'm even on the record in the game thread for saying I loved the call.

Now had they won the week before against KSU then of course they attempt the PAT to extend the game and head to overtime, as they would have mathematically still been alive for the playoffs. Different situations call for different approaches.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

grizzh8r wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
In my 40+ years of watching football, I don’t ever recall a coach going for two in a similar situation. Can you show an instance where such a decision has ever been made? To say Weber fans should be pissed is completely overreacting. Especially given that Hill made the standard decision every other coach has made for decades and he just led Weber to one of their most successful seasons in program history.