The Arizona Bowl, NMSU vs USU

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

The Arizona Bowl, NMSU vs USU

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 pm

https://twitter.com/AndyMorganTV/status/937201117976563712 6-6 New Mexico State plays 6-6 Utah State.

In most of my college football following life, these two teams have been among the worst in the country. Utah State has been better in recent years. New Mexico State hasn't been to a bowl game in 57 years! This is a game I've gotta watch.

New Mexico State, after this season, will be an FBS independent. They're getting kicked out of the Sun Belt just like Idaho is. Idaho decided being an independent isn't sustainable so they're coming back to the Big Sky. So...it might be another 57 years until New Mexico State goes bowling again. It seems like the Aggies would fit right in the Mountain West Conference, but for whatever reason they can never get in. I get why Idaho can't find an FBS conference. I've been to Moscow. I've never been to Las Cruces. Is it some kind of horrible place, too hard to get to? politics? What's the deal down there?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Arizona Bowl, NMSU vs USU

Post by MSU01 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:43 am

Las Cruces is about 50 miles north of El Paso, TX which has plenty of air service, so it isn't difficult to get to and certainly easier than Moscow, ID. I can see how the Sun Belt might want to downsize their two western teams and go to more of a compact geographic footprint in the southeast. Pretty shocking that NMSU hasn't been to a bowl in 57 years...their basketball program is generally pretty good so it's not like all sports struggle there.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

Las Cruces is certainly not a horrible place. It's very popular with retirees. I know several from MSU that live there now. I just think they must be over their heads trying to do the FBS thing. Without looking it up I cannot guess at the population but it's not huge. It's pretty much a university town.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:Las Cruces is certainly not a horrible place. It's very popular with retirees. I know several from MSU that live there now. I just think they must be over their heads trying to do the FBS thing. Without looking it up I cannot guess at the population but it's not huge. It's pretty much a university town.
I wish they'd swallow their pride and drop down to FCS too. I'd love to have them in the BSC. That would make an even number of teams again in basketball and football, after UND leaves. That would make scheduling easier for basketball, and they'd make a good travel partner for NAU. Although, moving down would probably be a much tougher sell to their alumni and boosters, than it was for Idaho even, since NMSU has always been FBS. I have a hard time believing that playing as an independent will be any more sustainable for them that it would be for UI.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:35 pm

NMSU does have a 30,000 seat stadium and two long term rivals that will play them at their place in New Mexico and UTEP. Idaho's two FBS rivals, Wazzu and Boise State, won't play the Vandals in Moscow. So it will be a little bit easier for NMSU to get some home games.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 am

The best thing to ever come out of New Mexico State is MSU President Waded Cruzado!