New UM coach - besides Bobby Hauck

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HiLineCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

New UM coach - besides Bobby Hauck

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Might as well start throwing some names out there.
I'll start with Jim McElwain. He probably has to step back a bit from major college coaching to restore his reputation after his troubles in Florida.. He could be a lot like Dan Hawkins, who has done wonders for the Sac State program. Of course being born and raised in Missoula doesn't hurt with the fan base.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New UM coach - besides Bobby Hauck

Post by seataccat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm

Paul Wulff would be there best option. I honestly don't think Hauck would do well there again with the current players on the roster. And who knows if he could ever build it back to where it's winning championships again. Best case scenario would be to watch Hauck go there and have a few losing seasons. That would be comedy gold, egriz would be a blast.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 am

Jim McElwain is not going to UM.

Don't be idiots.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Jim McElwain is not going to UM.

Don't be idiots.
Maybe not now. I could see it in 10 years though as a retirement gig. Like Joe Moglia.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

I don't what happened this year to make it different, but every other time they needed a coach Dave Dickenson's name was in the mix.

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:45 pm

St George wrote:I don't what happened this year to make it different, but every other time they needed a coach Dave Dickenson's name was in the mix.
Yeah, among the egriz fantasy land crowd. But as a head coach in the CFL, he probably makes about double what UM could pay. So...?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
St George wrote:I don't what happened this year to make it different, but every other time they needed a coach Dave Dickenson's name was in the mix.
Yeah, among the egriz fantasy land crowd. But as a head coach in the CFL, he probably makes about double what UM could pay. So...?
And isn’t Canada rated the most liveable country in the world? Not saying I think it’s better than the ol’ USA.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

I have Brent Pease a couple times and I hope he gets the job. His last job as UTEP OC was a complete disaster getting canned early in the season. He has a long pedigree but there does not seem to be any recent promotions, only setbacks.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Think they'll reach out to Beau Baldwin (who'll probably laugh at them) and Mike Breske - DC at Idaho.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 am

I would be shocked if they didn't reach out to Dave Dickensen. Not sure it would be successful but it doesn't hurt to try. Here is what I found on CFL coaches salaries in general. I would think Dave would be in the top of this range with his success.

What is the salary of a Cfl coach?
Answered by The WikiAnswers® Community
Answers.com® is making the world better one answer at a time.
Head Coaches earn 300,000 to 850,000

What is the salary of a CFL head coach? What is the salary of a CFL assistant coach? https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/
Information found here is not endorsed by the league or member clubs. It is for general information only, facts presented based on information known. No one should draw any conclusions based on the information below.

CFL coach salaries are not public. The coaching salary budgets of teams has increased substantially in the last 10 years, with coaching staff sizes increasing (from average of 5.7 in 2003 to 9.5 assistants in 2015), salaries increasing and more coaches in year-round positions. There is no cap or control on coach or football operations salaries in the CFL. As such, it is easy for team ownership to believe they can attain a championship by increasing the number of position coaches or spending more to hire a coach with a history of winning.

Assistant coach salaries differ depending on the role. Offensive and defensive coordinators earn more than positional coaches. The salary offered will vary depending on experience and position. CFL assistant coaches can have long careers but live a nomadic existence that coaching requires.

A CFL team will spend around $2 million per year in salaries for their general manager and coaches. The CFL coaching budgets and salaries have been increasing in recent years as the league prosperity increases, with teams employing more coaches and paying them more than five years ago.

Please understand these estimates are for fan purposes only, educated guesses gleaned from a few media reports and other resources. Prospective coaches should query their coaching fraternity, agents or other sources for actual ranges.

Head coaches earning more than players mirrors business practices where salaries of managers, directors, vice presidents, etc. will exceed that of workers. Such is the real world.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:I would be shocked if they didn't reach out to Dave Dickensen. Not sure it would be successful but it doesn't hurt to try. Here is what I found on CFL coaches salaries in general. I would think Dave would be in the top of this range with his success.

What is the salary of a CFL head coach? What is the salary of a CFL assistant coach? https://cfldb.ca/faq/compensation/
Information found here is not endorsed by the league or member clubs. It is for general information only, facts presented based on information known. No one should draw any conclusions based on the information below.

CFL coach salaries are not public. The coaching salary budgets of teams has increased substantially in the last 10 years, with coaching staff sizes increasing (from average of 5.7 in 2003 to 9.5 assistants in 2015), salaries increasing and more coaches in year-round positions. There is no cap or control on coach or football operations salaries in the CFL. As such, it is easy for team ownership to believe they can attain a championship by increasing the number of position coaches or spending more to hire a coach with a history of winning.

Assistant coach salaries differ depending on the role. Offensive and defensive coordinators earn more than positional coaches. The salary offered will vary depending on experience and position. CFL assistant coaches can have long careers but live a nomadic existence that coaching requires.

A CFL team will spend around $2 million per year in salaries for their general manager and coaches. The CFL coaching budgets and salaries have been increasing in recent years as the league prosperity increases, with teams employing more coaches and paying them more than five years ago.

Please understand these estimates are for fan purposes only, educated guesses gleaned from a few media reports and other resources. Prospective coaches should query their coaching fraternity, agents or other sources for actual ranges.

Head coaches earning more than players mirrors business practices where salaries of managers, directors, vice presidents, etc. will exceed that of workers. Such is the real world.
Last coaching change at UM DD was interviewed and reading between the lines he is flattered but has absolutely no interest. His wife is Canadian and a pharmacist and they have lived in Calagary for years.

Why would he give up being the head coach in Calgary to drop down to UM?

I don't see it happening.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:38 pm

seataccat wrote:Paul Wulff would be there best option. I honestly don't think Hauck would do well there again with the current players on the roster. And who knows if he could ever build it back to where it's winning championships again. Best case scenario would be to watch Hauck go there and have a few losing seasons. That would be comedy gold, egriz would be a blast.
I don't know why he wouldn't be considered. I know EWU had some NCAA issues when he left and they were to serve it in 2010 but they appealed it and Paul had to take some kind of compliance courses when he was the head coach at WSU. I alway thought his teams where very good. He is currently a coach on the Sac State staff. Maybe he made enough money as the HC for Cougs he doesn't want to take on the stress of another HC position?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:39 pm

bobcat92 wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:I would be shocked if they didn't reach out to Dave Dickensen. Not sure it would be successful but it doesn't hurt to try. Here is what I found on CFL coaches salaries in general. I would think Dave would be in the top of this range with his success.

Last coaching change at UM DD was interviewed and reading between the lines he is flattered but has absolutely no interest. His wife is Canadian and a pharmacist and they have lived in Calagary for years.

Why would he give up being the head coach in Calgary to drop down to UM?

I don't see it happening.
According to a very reliable source (a very good friend and former teammate of DD's at both CMR and UM) Dave has no interest in the job at this time, but might reconsider once his kids are out of high school. I believe they are currently 9 and 11 or thereabouts, so that means he's probably off the radar for about 10 years or so. They'll probably run through another 5 or 6 head coaches between now and then, if the nest 10 years are anything like the last 10.