Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 am

91catAlum wrote:
Rich K wrote:http://dnews.com/sports/wsu-athlete-inj ... e9cd8.html

From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:
According to court documents, the incident began around 2 a.m. at a house party on the 1200 block of Stadium Way in Pullman. Witnesses told police Bradley "Wyatt" Meyring, 23, of Pullman, placed Justin Strong, 22, of Missoula, in a headlock after a dispute at the party. Witnesses told police that once Strong got free of the hold, he and two friends allegedly chased after Meyring as he fled the residence. The party's host said she attempted to stop the three men from chasing Meyring, to no avail.

When the three men caught up to Meyring, he turned around and put his hands in the air, one witness told police. Strong then allegedly punched Meyring, who fell to the ground. The witness said Strong punched Meyring again while he was on the ground. Strong has a different account of events. According to court documents, Strong told police he was trying to break up a fight at the party that involved Meyring when Meyring punched him from behind. He said he chased Meyring out of the house, but couldn't find him and had "calmed down" and was going to return to the party when he ran into Meyring, "who balled his fists" outside the residence. Strong said he hit Meyring in self-defense and then stuck him again when he tried to get up, as stated in court documents.

Witnesses told police the other two involved in the assault are also football players from the state of Montana. Strong told police he didn't know the other men around at the time of the assault, as he was focused on breaking up the fight and protecting himself. Meyring, known in the WSU track program as Wyatt Meyring, is a senior weight-thrower from Edmonds, Wash., who transferred from a junior college two years ago and has seen only limited competition for the Cougars. In outdoor track, he has specialized in the hammer throw.

Pullman Police Chief Gary Jenkins said officers and emergency responders arrived on scene and found Meyring unconscious, with his eyes open, bleeding from his head. He suffered a fractured skull and a hematoma. He was taken to Pullman Regional Hospital and later transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane. A hospital spokeswoman was unable to release information regarding Meyring's status Monday evening. The University of Montana football team had a bye week last weekend.Jenkins said police are investigating and looking for additional suspects. Eric Taber, assistant communications director of the UM football program, confirmed Strong was involved in an incident in Pullman over the weekend
The witness account certainly casts doubt on Strong's self defense claim.
Two COMPLETELY contrasting accounts. Time will tell but this absolutely does not look good!!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:49 am

Grizaddict wrote:No charges have been filed yet and he was let go on his own recognizance. Pullman police said that Strong has injuries on his own face consistent with self defense claim and that eye witnesses claimed it was self defense as well. Not sure what will come from all of it. Not smart of him to be in that position regardless and I'm guessing he will end up suspended until it gets figured out on some level. Hurts the team no doubt.
Worst case scenario, they are waiting to charge him depending on if the kid wakes up from the coma.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:08 am

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one.

We live in pretty pc world, and I'd much rather have fist fights than guns being drawn.

Just for argument sake, if some dude accosted me at a party and I hit him, I'd hit in again to make sure he wasn't coming back at me.

Not saying it's right to use violence but it wasn't like he was stomping on his head with his feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:32 am

wow....sad and scary stuff. Hope the kid is able to fully recover. It's amazing how one poor decision can drastically impact your life's trajectory.

Let's all keep in mind the young men involved are real people with grandparents, parents, siblings who are all likely devastated by this event. Let's trust the legal system and be careful not to dehumanize someone simply because he pays for the hated rival team.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Washington state law seems to indicate that, as described by all witnesses, that this is what that state deems to be assault in the second degree.

All witnesses describe that the injured person had left the premises to avoid the person(s) he was in conflict with. Instead of allowing the injured person to leave, the person(s) then followed him and approached him. When the injured party took a defensive stance he was then struck at least twice with the second blow inflicting great bodily harm. The is a class A felony in Washington.

Any possibility of this be self defense on the part of Strong was eliminated when he began following the to-be injured person. That person was put in the self defense position at that point. You cannot approach someone and then when they, feeling threatened, put their hands or fists up you strike them in a way, and by any force, likely to produce great bodily harm.

This fits RCW 9A.36.011 (1)(a) and (c).
Last edited by iaafan on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 pm

St George wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:No charges have been filed yet and he was let go on his own recognizance. Pullman police said that Strong has injuries on his own face consistent with self defense claim and that eye witnesses claimed it was self defense as well. Not sure what will come from all of it. Not smart of him to be in that position regardless and I'm guessing he will end up suspended until it gets figured out on some level. Hurts the team no doubt.
Worst case scenario, they are waiting to charge him depending on if the kid wakes up from the coma.
Again I have not read or heard a thing about the other party being in a coma, and I'm following it very closely. I've even been in touch with many who are closer to the incident and this has not been verified to my knowledge. Have you heard otherwise?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem like every year that um has a bye week, something bad happens? If I was stitt, I might petition the NCAA for no bye week for the grizzlies. In all seriousness, if he is not already doing it, he should be reinforcing where his players should be going and what they should, and should not, be participating in while they get a few days off. Strong made the first mistake even going to this type of party in the first place. Not many good things happen to football players at these things and being there during the season is even more inexcusable.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Strong just went from booked to charged.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:25 pm

iaafan wrote:Strong just went from booked to charged.
Not according to Griz beat writer....updated details here. This is the most up-to-date report that I'm aware of and as of this rolling out moments ago it doesn't sound like there are any formal charges yet. Also, I'm hearing this person is not in a coma as some of you keep reporting.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/police ... 8.amp.html

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:51 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Not according to Griz beat writer....updated details here. This is the most up-to-date report that I'm aware of and as of this rolling out moments ago it doesn't sound like there are any formal charges yet. Also, I'm hearing this person is not in a coma as some of you keep reporting.

Where are you hearing he's not in a coma? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what your source is. Thanks in advance.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm

It's the headline of a Pullman newspaper article. Tweeted by Skyline sports less than an hour ago.

WSU athlete injured; Montana football player charged

Strong is going to be hard to defend imo.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm

looks like his parents couldn't decide on a middle name

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Where are you hearing he's not in a coma? Not saying you're wrong, just curious what your source is. Thanks in advance.
I personally know two Griz players and one coach. I've asked all three if the other person is in a coma and their responses were similar and along the lines of "not that we are aware of". (Didn't hear back from one of the three). I also found it interesting in the most recent article I posted it stated that the party did not want the media to be updated of his condition. Not sure if that came directly from the other party or his family. If direct, that would obviously clear up any confusion.

From all I know at this point, there have been no formal charges filed yet. Also, the arresting officer said strong was not intoxicated.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:12 pm

iaafan wrote:It's the headline of a Pullman newspaper article. Tweeted by Skyline sports less than an hour ago.

Then that was very poorly worded as it came out late last night along with the other articles which blatantly said there were no charges yet. They probably should have said arrested as opposed to charged. He hasn't been charged yet.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:It's the headline of a Pullman newspaper article. Tweeted by Skyline sports less than an hour ago.

Then that was very poorly worded as it came out late last night along with the other articles which blatantly said there were no charges yet. They probably should have said arrested as opposed to charged. He hasn't been charged yet.
charged (updated 3 hrs ago)

http://dnews.com/sports/wsu-athlete-inj ... e9cd8.html

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Some interesting witness statements:

"After the suspects were done they ran... and fled in a vehicle...

They had been looking for Meyring and someone found him and said That's Him...

She saw Strong and the male with dreadlocks hitting Meyring multiple times while on the ground...

Meyring turned and put up his open handed palms...

Meyring was running to get away from the males and was not trying to fight them when they reached him...
"

Gonna be tough to claim self defense against statements like those, from 3 different witnesses.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:43 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This article was out last night with the same exact misleading heading claiming he was charged in the title. When it says updated three hours ago the title has not changed from last night just the body of the paragraph with more details. This reporter is using the word charged instead of arrrested.

Griz best writer literally just tweeted that strong has not been formally charged in spite of conflicting stories. Sheriff office in Pullman wants to interview more eye witnesses.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This article was out last night with the same exact misleading heading claiming he was charged in the title. When it says updated three hours ago the title has not changed from last night just the body of the paragraph with more details. This reporter is using the word charged instead of arrrested.

Griz best writer literally just tweeted that strong has not been formally charged in spite of conflicting stories. Sheriff office in Pullman wants to interview more eye witnesses.

read the affidavit, he is toast and you know it, he confessed to assault while claiming self defense

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 pm

What ramifications would there possibly be for any others that were with Strong?
Very sad as this could be life changing for all parties involved!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.