Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Griz Justin Strong Arrested for Assault

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm curious to hear the extent of the victim's injuries, and whether they are consistent with 2 punches to the face, and hitting head on the ground.

There's the 911 caller that said several guys were beating up an unconscious man. A guy getting punched twice, and it's done, probably doesn't trigger a 911 call like that. Also, one of the witness statements says she saw 2 guys beating up a guy on the ground.
But then you have Strong's statement and another witness who say there were just 2 punches.

So who knows what will happen, as far as charges go. But the number of injuries on the victim will tell whether Strong's story holds up.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:I'm curious to hear the extent of the victim's injuries, and whether they are consistent with 2 punches to the face, and hitting head on the ground.

There's the 911 caller that said several guys were beating up an unconscious man. A guy getting punched twice, and it's done, probably doesn't trigger a 911 call like that. Also, one of the witness statements says she saw 2 guys beating up a guy on the ground.
But then you have Strong's statement and another witness who say there were just 2 punches.

So who knows what will happen, as far as charges go. But the number of injuries on the victim will tell whether Strong's story holds up.
Interesting point. Yes, the injury pattern will tell a story.

The injured person's story has yet to be told. Obviously he may have trouble remembering some details. It'll be interesting to hear how it all started inside the house. Doesn't sound like anyone has given consideration to the possibility that it could've been instigated another way.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:02 am

Cataholic wrote:Confirmed that two other Griz players were with Strong:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/bi ... e-breaking
Might be able to get an idea who they are based on the travel roster.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:10 am

I wouldn't be surprised if more arrests are coming or if both those players have also been suspended. Doesn't sound like anyone has corroborated their story.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 am

Usually when fist hits skull, fist loses. Know two folks who have busted bones in their hand hitting heads.

Don’t know anyone who cracked a pumpkin hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am

77matcat wrote:Usually when fist hits skull, fist loses. Know two folks who have busted bones in their hand hitting heads.

Don’t know anyone who cracked a pumpkin hitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't know the exact percentages on that, but I think it depends on what part of the skull is struck. I had my skull fractured around my eye socket by a punch. The temple area is weaker and we've all heard the term glass jaw.

My guess is the injured party was hit near the temple (pterion). A hard punch to this area often causes a haematoma.

toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 am

Reconstruction of what happened needs to start at the point all parties involved made the determination that they would go to this party. Were they invited? Were they asked to leave? Who initiated interactions?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:14 am

The other party was released from the hospital on Tuesday, just a couple days after the incident took place. This tells me the injury must not have been as bad as first thought. He was never in a coma as some here reported both here and over on Egriz. Strong is suspended 2 games while the incident continues to be investigated. If he gets formally charged, he will more than likely be removed from the team all together. I don't know of any other suspensions or possible charges for the other 2 players who were there but not arrested and may have nothing to do with the incident. I agree with the suspension pending further details. I think that was a good move by UM.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Meyring was picked up by ambulance around 2:30 AM Saturday and released on Tuesday morning. That's over three days. He has a fractured skull and had blood pooling inside his skull from broken blood vessels. He's still receiving medical care.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Grizaddict wrote:The other party was released from the hospital on Tuesday, just a couple days after the incident took place. This tells me the injury must not have been as bad as first thought. He was never in a coma as some here reported both here and over on Egriz. Strong is suspended 2 games while the incident continues to be investigated. If he gets formally charged, he will more than likely be removed from the team all together. I don't know of any other suspensions or possible charges for the other 2 players who were there but not arrested and may have nothing to do with the incident. I agree with the suspension pending further details. I think that was a good move by UM.
Didn't it happen late Friday night? That would be almost 4 days in the hospital, after being flown to Spokane. Seems fairly serious.

But still, I was surprised at the 2 game suspension. Seems like 1 game would suffice, with no charges having been filed yet. They definitely didn't go easy on him!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 pm

These incidents blow my mind. Who started it, what happened and all this other mess, fact is these Kids need to keep their noses out of trouble. Strong is a great safety, who's college career is most likely over and probably ended any shot at the next level. DUMB, that's it, just plain DUMB. Even if Strongs account is 100% true, he sacrificed any playing career for a party in Pullman of all places... DUMB.

4-5 years seems like an eternity when you're young but I think we all know how fast time goes as we grow older... Knock this ****** off kids, there's plenty of time to kill brain cells and get laid.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:18 pm

He's a Gritzer. Hang him.
If he was a Bobcat then he deserves another chance, he's a kid.
This stuff is simple, why do we debate it?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm

UPDATE: Police will recommend a felony assault charge to the prosecutor, for Justin Strong. Doesn't necessarily mean the prosecutor will bring that charge, though.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/washin ... cea1c.html

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:05 pm

91catAlum wrote:UPDATE: Police will recommend a felony assault charge to the prosecutor, for Justin Strong. Doesn't necessarily mean the prosecutor will bring that charge, though.

just reminding everyone, this one doesn't count against the over/under 6.5 felonies for BH.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:34 pm

91catAlum wrote:UPDATE: Police will recommend a felony assault charge to the prosecutor, for Justin Strong. Doesn't necessarily mean the prosecutor will bring that charge, though.

What an absolute sh1t show in Missoula. The coaches had to know the serious nature of the events in Pullman. Not only did Strong get to finish the season playing, but the U of M administration then hires a new coach with a history of player infractions at the University. Talk about sending a bad message to the public. Unbelievably, Griz fans don’t seem to care!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:18 am

Kind of makes the clause in Hauck’s contract meaningless.

griz5700
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by griz5700 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

Don’t care.

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm

griz5700 wrote:Don’t care.Because we have hauck and this guy is going to look like a choirboy
Fixed it for you.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:43 pm

griz5700 wrote:Don’t care if griz players commit felonies as long as the charges are delayed until after the season and the player is a senior.
FIFY

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 pm

griz5700 wrote:Don’t care.
The “fixed it for you” posts were great! Unfortunately, griz5700 feelings have become part of Griz nation culture. Griz5700 = win at all cost fan. Embarrassing post for that fan base.