Just saw this on Fox Business... Serious allegations

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Just saw this on Fox Business... Serious allegations

Post by RickRund » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am

Might be some pretty bad stuff happening in the future...

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-bas ... eme/398118

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Just saw this on Fox Business... Serious allegations

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:54 am

Wow. Crazy how much money is being thrown around in college athletics and kids don't (legally) see a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:55 pm

wbtfg wrote:Wow. Crazy how much money is being thrown around in college athletics and kids don't (legally) see a dime.

Wasn't Ohio state or one of the big ones listed as worth a few BILLIONS dollars?

It's nuts.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

wbtfg wrote:Wow. Crazy how much money is being thrown around in college athletics and kids don't (legally) see a dime.

They "dont see a dime"...really? Saying something like that sorta devalues that diploma you have hanging from your wall, don't you think? If a college education isn't worth a dime, then I guess all those "regular" students who paid tens of thousands of dollars for their degrees, just sorta threw that money down the drain. Why does everyone frame this discussion around the handful of schools that are making millions of dollars, when the vast majority of schools are barely breaking even and in most cases losing money on athletics? I never have understood that. The Ohio States and Alabamas of the world are the outliers and certainly not representative of most of the 300 plus D-I schools. Even most Power 5 conference schools don't make money on sports. Maybe their football program does, but football has to fund all the other sports that lose money. How much should they get? Should Deshaun Watson get paid the same as the redshirt freshman 4th string offensive lineman at Portland State? Or how about the female golfer or swimmer or skier at a low major school? How about walk ons? Are we going to pay them too, even though they don't even get a scholarship? How can you justify paying star players a bunch of money, when you have some guys who are putting in every bit as much time and effort as the stars, without even getting their school paid for? For that matter, if we're going to frame this argument within the context of "fairness", how can you even justify the concept of walk ons?

Sorry....I didn't mean to unload on you, and I know this is sorta off the subject, but this is a real hot button issue for me, and I strongly disagree with your assertion that the players "don't get a dime".
Last edited by John K on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 pm

So now Bobby Petrino is unsupervised at Louisville.
This should be fun.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:So now Bobby Petrino is unsupervised at Louisville.
This should be fun.
I can't imagine that even "Mr. Teflon", aka Rick Pitino, will survive this scandal.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:56 pm

John K wrote:
This should be fun.
I can't imagine that even "Mr. Teflon", aka Rick Pitino, will survive this scandal.
He will be toast. And the AD along with him. Cannot imagine anyone ever hiring him. Just heard that Pitino is on unpaid leave and the AD Jurich is on paid leave.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Just saw on a blog Petrino has effectively been fired. Most likely the same for the AD. Went on to say this isn't even close to being over and will completely change the landscape of college athletics as we currently know it.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Cledus wrote:Just saw on a blog Petrino has effectively been fired. Most likely the same for the AD. Went on to say this isn't even close to being over and will completely change the landscape of college athletics as we currently know it.
Petrino?? You mean Rick Pitino, right? Cuz they both coach at Louisville.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:22 am

John K wrote:

They "dont see a dime"...really? Saying something like that sorta devalues that diploma you have hanging from your wall, don't you think? If a college education isn't worth a dime, then I guess all those "regular" students who paid tens of thousands of dollars for their degrees, just sorta threw that money down the drain. Why does everyone frame this discussion around the handful of schools that are making millions of dollars, when the vast majority of schools are barely breaking even and in most cases losing money on athletics? I never have understood that. The Ohio States and Alabamas of the world are the outliers and certainly not representative of most of the 300 plus D-I schools. Even most Power 5 conference schools don't make money on sports. Maybe their football program does, but football has to fund all the other sports that lose money. How much should they get? Should Deshaun Watson get paid the same as the redshirt freshman 4th string offensive lineman at Portland State? Or how about the female golfer or swimmer or skier at a low major school? How about walk ons? Are we going to pay them too, even though they don't even get a scholarship? How can you justify paying star players a bunch of money, when you have some guys who are putting in every bit as much time and effort as the stars, without even getting their school paid for? For that matter, if we're going to frame this argument within the context of "fairness", how can you even justify the concept of walk ons?

Sorry....I didn't mean to unload on you, and I know this is sorta off the subject, but this is a real hot button issue for me, and I strongly disagree with your assertion that the players "don't get a dime".
I don't think he meant that literally. I'm pretty sure the Power 5 leagues could come up with a formula for paying these guys.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:48 am

This should be fun.
That was my first thought as well. Hahaha

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:53 am

It's gonna be interesting to see how far this thing goes. I doubt that Pitino will be the only big time college coach whose head will roll before it's all said and done.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:54 am

Amazing it takes the FBI to uncover. I feel like NCAA was complicit in all of this as well.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:00 am

wbtfg wrote:Amazing it takes the FBI to uncover. I feel like NCAA was complicit in all of this as well.

There's a rumor that the NCAA tipped the FBI off.
The FBI has subpoena power, and the ability to wiretap (both of which are critical in this investigation) - while the NCAA doesn't.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:57 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Cledus wrote:Just saw on a blog Petrino has effectively been fired. Most likely the same for the AD. Went on to say this isn't even close to being over and will completely change the landscape of college athletics as we currently know it.
Petrino?? You mean Rick Pitino, right? Cuz they both coach at Louisville.
You are right. The P and the "eeno" sound from both names scrambled my brain momentarily. :D

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:02 pm

Honestly, I love this. All of it.

Not to get all political here, but thousands of years of applied economics always comes out on top and is yet another illustration that of prohibition of anything always creates black markets.