NCAA Concussion Settlement

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

NCAA Concussion Settlement

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Anyone else get a mailer?

Interesting, received a notice that I am part of a class-action vs. the NCAA, which looks to be up for court approval this year. I'm wondering how they got my contact information? I played football at MSU from 1985-87, was on scholarship (not sure if that makes a difference to the NCAA/court), and was medically treated for concussion(s), (again not sure if that makes any difference). Now, while I'm sure I damaged my brain playing football in high school (and basketball, baseball, wrestling, etc) and college, I'm not sure anything can be done about it now medically, nor much valuable information gained by medical studies.

Notice indicates all college athletes at NCAA schools are part of the class action, UNLESS you OPT OUT. Also interesting. The 'medical monitoring fund' set up by this settlement is $70M (NCAA funded).

The 'award' -- a former college athlete can "have the opportunity to complete a screening questionnaire to determine whether you qualify for up to two medical evaluations during the 50-year medical monitoring period." Oh -- and you release all potential legal claims you against the NCAA.

I personally don't mind contribution to the body of medical knowledge on this issue by being evaluated, hope it would do someone some good. But I'm thinking the people most benefiting from this settlement is the legal firms represented by Gilardi & Co., LLC, Providence, RI.

What do you all think -- is this one step closer to student-athletes moving closer to the line of "employee?"

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: NCAA Concussion Settlement

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah I got one too.