Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:01 pm

My top 5:

Chris Peterson - Nobody in the country is a better coach. He takes less talent and gets more out of them than anyone in the business. He builds programs and cultures from the bottom up and keeps them at the top.

Dabo Swinney - Many of the qualities that Peterson has are also in Swinney. He took a football program that hasnt won a NC in 35 years and built it into a national power and won a NC. He does more with less like Peterson.

Gary Patterson - Before Patterson TCU wasnt even on the radar in college football, now he has built a program in Texas that is probably one of the top 3 in the state year in and out. He doesnt get all the talent that the Longhorns and A&M do but still works them over.

David Shaw - Smart and innovative, he took Harbaughs blueprint and tweeked a few things but kept the formula working at a place that isnt easy to recruit, due to high academic standards. Churning out NFL talent year after year is the mark of a guy that knows people and product.

Jim Harbaugh - Cant stand the guy but there is no doubt he has a formula for winning. He does it everywhere and builds things that have been left to scrap. San Diego, Stanford, 49ers and now rebuilding Michigan to a power house is very impressive after what Hoke left him with.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who is on your top 5 College Football Head Coaches list?

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:32 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:My top 5:

Chris Peterson - Nobody in the country is a better coach. He takes less talent and gets more out of them than anyone in the business. He builds programs and cultures from the bottom up and keeps them at the top.

Dabo Swinney - Many of the qualities that Peterson has are also in Swinney. He took a football program that hasnt won a NC in 35 years and built it into a national power and won a NC. He does more with less like Peterson.

Gary Patterson - Before Patterson TCU wasnt even on the radar in college football, now he has built a program in Texas that is probably one of the top 3 in the state year in and out. He doesnt get all the talent that the Longhorns and A&M do but still works them over.

David Shaw - Smart and innovative, he took Harbaughs blueprint and tweeked a few things but kept the formula working at a place that isnt easy to recruit, due to high academic standards. Churning out NFL talent year after year is the mark of a guy that knows people and product.

Jim Harbaugh - Cant stand the guy but there is no doubt he has a formula for winning. He does it everywhere and builds things that have been left to scrap. San Diego, Stanford, 49ers and now rebuilding Michigan to a power house is very impressive after what Hoke left him with.
That's a pretty damn solid list. The other obvious additions for me would be Saban, Meyer, and Petrino. Can stand any of the three, but they have put up big winning percentages....

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Why would you omit Saban. Titles at 2 different schools. He is obviously a great recruiter. Urban Meyer built winning programs everywhere he's been. While Shaw is a good coach, he never built the program.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:55 pm

allcat wrote:Why would you omit Saban. Titles at 2 different schools. He is obviously a great recruiter. Urban Meyer built winning programs everywhere he's been. While Shaw is a good coach, he never built the program.
Saban is overrated and he doesnt make things better, he has always inherited big name programs Michigan St, LSU, Alabama. His abject failure at Miami proves my point, he is a snakeoil salesman, if you want him on your list have at it, but I would hire 25 coaches before thinking about Saban

Meyer would be the first coach in my next 5. My original #2 would have been Briles but he isnt currently coaching but should be shortly.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:34 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote:
allcat wrote:Why would you omit Saban. Titles at 2 different schools. He is obviously a great recruiter. Urban Meyer built winning programs everywhere he's been. While Shaw is a good coach, he never built the program.
Saban is overrated and he doesnt make things better, he has always inherited big name programs Michigan St, LSU, Alabama. His abject failure at Miami proves my point, he is a snakeoil salesman, if you want him on your list have at it, but I would hire 25 coaches before thinking about Saban

Meyer would be the first coach in my next 5. My original #2 would have been Briles but he isnt currently coaching but should be shortly.
Alabama wasn't even making bowl games when Saban got there.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

91catAlum wrote:
AlphaGriz1 wrote:

Alabama wasn't even making bowl games when Saban got there.
Whatever, its not like Alabama was sub par, they won a ****** of games with Stallings, DuBose and Franchione. (103-56)

They had Price Shula and Kines over 5 seasons then Saban he inherited a power program that was in the top 25 and made it slightly better. If the FBS had a legit playoff system instead of the fraud AP and recent 4 team bracket Saban would maybe have 1 NC in his career. Think what you want but I dont buy any of his overhyped ******

www.maroonblood.com