Wa-Griz Champions Center....

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Wa-Griz Champions Center....

Post by Norsky19 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:37 am

Nice to have billionaire benefactors....but what's most interesting is the lack of love for Stitt, AD and Pres. in the comments section....... :-k

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... e9184.html

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Wa-Griz Champions Center....

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:03 am

I have to admit I'm jealous....the athletic facility upgrades continue at UM in spite of declining enrollment...thanks to private donations. I'm really excited to see if Costello can accelerate the fund-raising and get MSU athletic facilities on par or better than UM. (I'd really like to see the east grandstand torn down)

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:19 am

While it would be nice to have a billionaire funding stadium improvements, that seems like all they invest in. I'm glad we have had 2 alumni that privately paid for two new academic buildings over the last few years. An overall improvement of the campus can only help to draw in more students, engage alumni and bring in the money to do stuff like stadium improvements.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

Good for them they have needed it for years. Technically, they raised about $8.5 with donations. $7 coming from the Washingtons. They also used some ticket revenue and need to finance $5million.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:55 am

norcal cat wrote:While it would be nice to have a billionaire funding stadium improvements, that seems like all they invest in. I'm glad we have had 2 alumni that privately paid for two new academic buildings over the last few years. An overall improvement of the campus can only help to draw in more students, engage alumni and bring in the money to do stuff like stadium improvements.

Agreed!

go96griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by go96griz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am

Norsky19 wrote:
norcal cat wrote:While it would be nice to have a billionaire funding stadium improvements, that seems like all they invest in. I'm glad we have had 2 alumni that privately paid for two new academic buildings over the last few years. An overall improvement of the campus can only help to draw in more students, engage alumni and bring in the money to do stuff like stadium improvements.
Agreed!
Have you ever heard of the Phyllis J. Washington College of Education and Human Sciences or the numerous scholarships and fellowships provided by the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation (http://www.dpwfoundation.org/)? The original WA-Griz stadium donation of $1M plus the $7M for the upcoming Champions Center pale in comparison to their numerous other UM donations. The Washington family has done a tremendous amount of good for all of Montana through their giving.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 am

go96griz wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:
Agreed!
Have you ever heard of the Phyllis J. Washington College of Education and Human Sciences or the numerous scholarships and fellowships provided by the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation (http://www.dpwfoundation.org/)? The original WA-Griz stadium donation of $1M plus the $7M for the upcoming Champions Center pale in comparison to their numerous other UM donations. The Washington family has done a tremendous amount of good for all of Montana through their giving.
Yeah, just think where UM would be without that one family...

DaCats21

Post by DaCats21 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:34 am

Cats15 wrote:
go96griz wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:
Agreed!
Yeah, just think where UM would be without that one family...
The Haucks?

Placidlakegriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Placidlakegriz » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 major non athletic gifts $10,000,000 or more Blewett, Cottor and Gallagher in the past few years. And there has been many, many gifts in excess of $1,000,000

Andy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Some people like the Cats and some like the Griz. Yep, it is true! So do we always have to pissssss on the others parade when something special is happening. Maybe it is time to simple enjoy what we have and work to improve our own status. I guess if I wanted to take aim at another program, it would be east to NDSU.I understand that some people just like to argue for argument sake. I love Montana State, THE CATS! and am really excited for all the changes that have taken place in our home.

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Norsky19 wrote:Nice to have billionaire benefactors....but what's most interesting is the lack of love for Stitt, AD and Pres. in the comments section....... :-k

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/mo ... e9184.html
Two comments . Oh the humanity. This project is a great addition. Surely won't hurt recruiting.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:17 pm

go96griz wrote:
Norsky19 wrote:
Agreed!
Seems to me the money for the Center could have been better used trying to stabilize enrollment. How many people have been laid off due to falling enrollment?

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:38 pm

UM has been sliding this way for some time, but they're quickly becoming an athletic department that happens to have a university attached to it, rather than the other way around.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:59 am

Shouldn't it be Wa-Griz Runners-Up Center?

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:54 pm

iaafan wrote:Shouldn't it be Wa-Griz Runners-Up Center?
Well maybe....but then what does that make the Cats?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:20 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Image
That is solid work right there.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:32 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:
iaafan wrote:Shouldn't it be Wa-Griz Runners-Up Center?
Well maybe....but then what does that make the Cats?
MSU teams have won 14 national championships, including one more than UM in both football and men's basketball. MSU has had 51 individual national champions, including one in 2016.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Silenoz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Silenoz » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 am

I don't know why I bother to ever open up any threads about the Griz on here, or the Cats on eGriz. Each is more useless than the last.

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:11 am

I was just looking at pictures of the champions center being built at Grizzly stadium and have to agree it is gong to be a pretty impressive addition. With that being said, many griz posters are now saying this is going to be the real game changer as far as recruiting goes. My take on that is the grizzlies have probably had the finest facilities in the fcs for quite a long time, but have been slowly dropping in relevance withing the conference and nation. The champions center will be a nice addition to an already top notch stadium, but does anyone else think it will be a game changer, considering that griz stadium is already one of the top 3 fcs stadiums in the nation?