Boise report

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Boise report

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:36 pm

So, went down to Le Bois with a group of buddies (including suckitgriz) this last weekend for the games and some good times. With the exception of sharing a hotel room with five other guys (my god, those poor maids), we had a great time. Just thought some of you might be interested in some of our observations from the weekend.

First off, Boise is awesome! I had more fun this weekend than I have had in a long time. The Pavilion (sorry, I just can't bring myself to call it Taco Bell Arena - hey, I grew up going to Bronco games in the days of Bobby Dye) is such a great venue. It is still very hard to believe that an arena like that used to be part of the Big Sky. No wonder Boise State always had good teams back then - how could anyone else in the Sky compete with that?!?! I was more than a little surprised to see way more Bobcat fans and MSU apparel this weekend than griz fans.

Washington was by far the class of the teams in Boise. They didn't play great against the griz (and I'll give the griz some credit for that, they played tough), but I haven't seen a team play as well as Washington did against Pacific in a long, long time. If the Huskies can play like that for four more games, they will win the NC. They were flat-out awesome in every aspect of the game. They also had one of the best contingent of fans I have ever seen. They were rowdy and extremely loud from before the game started to the very end. I couldn't believe how much noise so relatively few people could make. You really had to be there to understand, but it was something special to witness. Very cool.

Arizona also looked pretty good, that dunk Hasan Adams had was AMAZING! I swear, he was up high enough that he probably could have shook our hands where we were sitting! They'll have a tough draw against Oklahoma St. in the next round, though. The Arizona fans were a 180 degree difference from the UW fans - they SUCKED! Maybe they have just gotten too spoiled, maybe they are just too damn old, who knows? They didn't make a peep of noise the whole game. Their band was really good, though.

One final thing. The cheerleaders. Oh, the cheerleaders! We're talking a whole different caliber of cheerleaders than we are used to here in Montana. They were amazing. Utah State had the best overall group, those dang Mormons sure know how to grow their women. One of the cheerleaders from Washington or one from UAB will be my wife one day - I don't really care which one it is. WOW!!! :D :D :D

GO CATS GO!!!

mquast53000
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Boise report

Post by mquast53000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:28 am

BozoneCat wrote:
One final thing. The cheerleaders. Oh, the cheerleaders! We're talking a whole different caliber of cheerleaders than we are used to here in Montana. They were amazing. Utah State had the best overall group, those dang Mormons sure know how to grow their women. One of the cheerleaders from Washington or one from UAB will be my wife one day - I don't really care which one it is. WOW!!! :D :D :D
On that note... While I played FB in the BSC I would have to say that the best looking Cheerleaders in the conference were HANDS DOWN Weber State’s. I think the Mormons got it figured out! The problem with the Cat's Cheerleaders is that the University doesn't give them a dime! If you gave out some partial scholarships and provided them with a small budget we would see quite a difference. For crying out loud, "Gold’s Gym” is stitched on the Cheerleaders uniforms!

FTG

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:13 am

Agreed on all points. Weber's cheerleaders are usually downright amazing. I remember when they came up to Bozeman for the Big Sky tourney in 2002, and Weber played, um... someone. Anyways, we weren't really watching the game, it was hard to take our eyes off of the Wildcat cheerleaders. Like I said, those dang Mormons know something about how to grow their women!

On the MSU cheerleading side of things... I personally feel that Peter Fields' decision to eliminate the cheer squad and turn it into just a dance team is probably the worst decision he has made since he came here. First off, how can a Division I school not have a cheerleading squad? Second, the reason they were not very good when they were active was because of the demands placed on them without getting anything in return. Not only do they not receive any help in the way of scholarships, they are expected to fundraise enough money to pay their way each semester for their expenses. They are required to raise something like $1500 per year (not sure on if that is per semester or what), and I guarantee that the cheerleaders aren't getting all that money spent back on them. It is a travesty in my mind. Also, think of the amount of time these girls (and guys, if we still had a cheer squad) spend - every football, volleyball, men's and women's basketball games, plus practice and working out every day. If MSU were to offer half or full rides (tuition), maybe it would magically create some competition and people would actually have to work hard and fight it out (figuratively) to make it onto the team. I don't want to be mean, but maybe it would bring the mean weight of our team below 145 pounds. JMO...

GO CATS GO!!!

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:21 pm

I agree with you totally. I can hardly believe that a D-I program like ours does not have a cheerleading squad. I know that about 6 yrs ago they did give out scholarships for cheerleading (the scholarships were very small, couple hundred of bucks is all). The cheerleaders were much better when there was a little competition to make the squad, but then once that small incentive was taken away the number of quality cheerleaders dwindled. It is too bad that Peter believes that cheerleading is not an important part of athletics. I know that one of my favorite sports is watching cheerleading :D.

FTG

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 pm

I'm hoping to specialize in Cheerleading-related Injury Physical Therapy. I figure it is an untapped niche in physical therapy! :D :D :D

GO CATS GO!!!

mquast53000

Post by mquast53000 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:42 pm

BozoneCat wrote:I'm hoping to specialize in Cheerleading-related Injury Physical Therapy. I figure it is an untapped niche in physical therapy! :D :D :D
Once you break into that profession you will be doing quite a bit of "tapping" I would guess... :oops:

FTG

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:45 pm

mquast53000 wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:I'm hoping to specialize in Cheerleading-related Injury Physical Therapy. I figure it is an untapped niche in physical therapy! :D :D :D
Once you break into that profession you will be doing quite a bit of "tapping" I would guess... :oops:
Lots of "manual therapy," that's for sure! Geez, I am so going to get sued... :wink: :wink: :wink:

GO CATS GO!!!