Womens Basketball Picks

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Womens Basketball Picks

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:11 pm

OGDEN, Utah — The Montana Lady Griz are the unanimous choice of the other seven Big Sky Conference women's basketball coaches to win the league title again this winter.

UM collected all seven first-place votes (coaches can't vote for own team). Montana has won more Big Sky championships than any other league team, winning titles from 1989-92 and 1993-98, as well as 2000 and 2004.

The Lady Griz went 14-0 last season in conference play (27-5 overall), posting their 22nd 20-victory season under coach Robin Selvig. They won the Big Sky tourney last March, then lost to Louisiana Tech in the NCAA Championships.

Weber State finished second in the voting with 38 total points. Idaho State was picked third with 35 points. The Bengals posted one of the top turnaround seasons in the country last year, going 20-9 and earning their first-ever invitation to the WNIT.

Eastern Washington finished with 32 points and received the other first-place vote (from Selvig), followed by Northern Arizona, Montana State, Sacramento State and Portland State.

Media members also picked Montana to win the title, giving the Grizzlies 15 first-place votes and 153 points. Weber State, ISU and EWU followed, with Montana State fifth.

The Bobcats have a new coach, Greg Kudrna, who replaced Robin Potera.
Last edited by Eastcoastgriz on Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:12 pm

Here's to another season of success for the Lady Griz! Hopefully this year they can get over the regional hump. To be so close to knocking off powerhouse Louisiana Tech last year and seeing the Bulldogs go as far as they did was disheartening.

FTC

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:20 pm

I watched the LA Tech / Griz game, I was pulling for the Griz the whole time! They came so close, I was really routing for them. Do you think they will have another great year like last year?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:I watched the LA Tech / Griz game, I was pulling for the Griz the whole time! They came so close, I was really routing for them. Do you think they will have another great year like last year?
Celtic, I was at that game as well. Overall, one of the best games I've ever seen if you include talent, competitiveness, atmosphere, etc. Although the Lady Griz lost, which was a bummer, I came away feeling proud of them.

I think they'll damn good this year as well but the two girls they lost will be missed a lot.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

Nick
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:05 pm

I'm not sure how they'll do this year. They should be tough again -- they lost Lorenzon but they seem to do just fine after losing a star player or two every year. Tyler and Baird are still with us I believe, and Katie Edwards (John's cousin) is a young star....with EXCELLENT range (she can nail threes better than most guys I've seen)

Good to hear Cat fans were cheering for Montana in the tourney. No matter who gets in, even if it's MSU, I'll always cheer for the Big Sky team, we need more respect our way.

FTC

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:41 pm

Nick wrote:
Good to hear Cat fans were cheering for Montana in the tourney. No matter who gets in, even if it's MSU, I'll always cheer for the Big Sky team, we need more respect our way.
I'm not nearly as passionate or defensive in any sport as I am in football. :) I still have a hard time rooting for the Griz in football, I just can't find myself wanting them to win, unless of course it's in the playoffs, and has no affect on our season. :)

But I can root for the Griz in most every other sport, as long as it's not against the Cats.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast