After North Dakota Leaves...

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

After North Dakota Leaves...

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:24 pm

I was checking out forums this afternoon and found this little nugget of information from a poster on the Weber State board. Apparently North Dakota will have a couple more years of Big Sky Conference football as an independent. They will eligible for the playoffs but not eligible for the Big Sky crown. I had not even heard a rumor about it until I read this. It would be nice if this kind of news would be put out by the Conference office instead of little stories here and there.

http://bigskyfans.com/wildcats/viewtopi ... 637#p56622
It has something to do with a deal made between the conference and UND focusing on the pre created schedules that were made before UND decided they were leaving. UND was going to leave in 2018 but the MVFC told them they couldn't join till 2020. So UND asked if they could still keep their BSC schedules to keep from having to payout the Big Sky conference and having to build brand new schedules at the last second. The Big Sky allowed UND to keep them. So to be fair to the other members of the Big Sky, they made those games count when they won or lost to them. And If I am correct, UND is ineligible for a Big Sky title those two years but not ineligible for the playoffs. Wins and losses against UND will count for all Big Sky schools as Conference games whereas wins and loses for UND will just be wins and losses. Similar to BYU and Notre Dame.

I could be wrong though so just take my post with a grain of salt. I have heard though it had something to do with schedules.
Here's the link to the original story put out by Weber State:
https://weberstatesports.com/news/2017/ ... dules.aspx
Also in 2018, North Dakota will leave the conference in all sports, but will play as an independent with a Big Sky schedule in 2018 and 2019 before leaving the league in football. The games against the Fighting Hawks will count in the Big Sky standings.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: After North Dakota Leaves...

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Does anybody know who our other "rival" is after UND leaves?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

cats2506 wrote:Does anybody know who our other "rival" is after UND leaves?
Eastern is, I believe.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:04 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Eastern is, I believe.

I don't know, but I doubt that. EWU already has 2 rivals. When Und leaves, MSU and UNC will each need another rival. Seems like they would just match those 2 up with each other.
Then when Idaho joins, the EWU-um rivalry will likely be dropped, and Idaho will get those 2 for its rivals. But that's just a guess based on the geography of those 3.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 am

91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Eastern is, I believe.

I don't know, but I doubt that. EWU already has 2 rivals. When Und leaves, MSU and UNC will each need another rival. Seems like they would just match those 2 up with each other.
Then when Idaho joins, the EWU-um rivalry will likely be dropped, and Idaho will get those 2 for its rivals. But that's just a guess based on the geography of those 3.
If I get time I'll look for the article today. Idaho becomes UM's second schedule rival starting next season. That means EWU has an opening. I thought I read that was to be filled by MSU but I could be wrong.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Eastern is, I believe.

If I get time I'll look for the article today. Idaho becomes UM's second schedule rival starting next season. That means EWU has an opening. I thought I read that was to be filled by MSU but I could be wrong.

EWU's opening will be filled by Idaho, would be my guess.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am

91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Eastern is, I believe.

You're right, and their other rival is still Portland. My mistake.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am

GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Eastern is, I believe.

You're right, and their other rival is still Portland. My mistake.

No problem, I'm just guessing at what would make the most geographic sense.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah I understood that
UM -> UI & MSU
EWU -> UI & PSU

but MSU shouldn't get stuck with UNC, But I am afraid that is what they will do.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Shouldn't MSU have Idaho State for a rival. It's only 45 miles further away than Missoula.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm

iaafan wrote:Shouldn't MSU have Idaho State for a rival. It's only 45 miles further away than Missoula.
That would involve rearranging a bunch of rivals, so I don't see it. Simplest path is make MSU and UNC rivals, and you're done.
But who knows.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

iaafan wrote:Shouldn't MSU have Idaho State for a rival. It's only 45 miles further away than Missoula.
Yes, or WSU, both are historic opponents

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Or a 9 game conference schedule

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back